How to create your unique singing style?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to create your unique singing style?

Post  Altenative is cool on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

Hi guys,so I noticed that I have decent singing range I got pitch(could be much better though),but now I need to add my own thing to songs I'm sure all of you have noticed that problem in your singing as well.
List tips and may the conversation begin Smile.

Altenative is cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to create your unique singing style?

Post  jqd on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 am

I actually never thought too much about that. . . I think personality plays a part in making your voice unique. Letting your personality or personal experience drive your performance should automatically make it unique. That being said, I also think that singers may subconciously (or conciously in some cases) emulate other singers that influence, and being influenced by many differnet singers can potientially lead to a very unique voice which combines characteristics of
many different singers. I guess what i'm trying to say is that developing a unique voice isn't something you work for but something that happens naturally; however that is just my opinion.

jqd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Altenative is cool on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 am

jqd wrote: I actually never thought too much about that. . . I think personality plays a part in making your voice unique. Letting your personality or personal experience drive your performance should automatically make it unique. That being said, I also think that singers may subconciously (or conciously in some cases) emulate other singers that influence, and being influenced by many differnet singers can potientially lead to a very unique voice which combines characteristics of
many different singers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that developing a unique voice isn't something you work for but something that happens naturally; however that is just my opinion.
It's a good point really but I'm currently like this I sing a Jeff Buckley song I sound like him I sing a MCR song I sound Gerard Wayish ..

Altenative is cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wanderlust on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Just A Talentless F*uck wrote:
jqd wrote: I actually never thought too much about that. . . I think personality plays a part in making your voice unique. Letting your personality or personal experience drive your performance should automatically make it unique. That being said, I also think that singers may subconciously (or conciously in some cases) emulate other singers that influence, and being influenced by many differnet singers can potientially lead to a very unique voice which combines characteristics of
many different singers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that developing a unique voice isn't something you work for but something that happens naturally; however that is just my opinion.
It's a good point really but I'm currently like this I sing a Jeff Buckley song I sound like him I sing a MCR song I sound Gerard Wayish ..
Just because you emulate the style of singers that you know well when you sing their songs doesn't mean that you haven't developed any style of your own. Maybe singing something by a singer you don't know very well will bring out your own style. Or singing an original.

Wanderlust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Altenative is cool on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Abacus wrote:
Just because you emulate the style of singers that you know well when you sing their songs doesn't mean that you haven't developed any style of your own. Maybe singing something by a singer you don't know very well will bring out your own style. Or singing an original.
Well I just tried to sing just to try Behind Blue Eyes and I think I have a high pitched vocal style soft singing and stuff like that.

Altenative is cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

over time your own unique voice will just develop, I believe. some people are natural mimics, and that makes them great singers; my brother can sound like anybody, and people like Seth McFarlane owe their singing prowess to being able to sing in multiple voices and imitate different voice types.
some people - namely me - just sound the same always, no difference in tone, and that probably isn't a good thing because I'll never be able to affect my tone well.

just sing the best your chords will let you and they will tell you what's comfy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Abacus wrote:
Well I just tried to sing just to try Behind Blue Eyes and I think I have a high pitched vocal style soft singing and stuff like that.

and now you ruined what I thought could be a new discussion. why did you have to bring your pitch into this

Back to top Go down

Post  Altenative is cool on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Lurex wrote:over time your own unique voice will just develop, I believe. some people are natural mimics, and that makes them great singers; my brother can sound like anybody, and people like Seth McFarlane owe their singing prowess to being able to sing in multiple voices and imitate different voice types.
some people - namely me - just sound the same always, no difference in tone, and that probably isn't a good thing because I'll never be able to affect my tone well.

just sing the best your chords will let you and they will tell you what's comfy Smile
Well that's great advice as well man thanks Smile
Well we are talking about style currently I'm singing in a very soft light style though I sound super light in general so I think it could be just my voice in general,but I sing softly and a bit higher my lows are usually high third and low to mid forth I use a certain soft falsetto too.

Altenative is cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  inhibitions on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but I notice a change in my voice if I smile while singing.
Get emotional with what you're doing. Clench your teeth, have a dramatic breakdown, kick stuff, it's music-- if you can't feel it, how can anyone else?

Wow, I need to be a motivational speaker.

inhibitions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Altenative is cool on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 pm

inhibitions wrote:I know this sounds stupid, but I notice a change in my voice if I smile while singing.
Get emotional with what you're doing. Clench your teeth, have a dramatic breakdown, kick stuff, it's music-- if you can't feel it, how can anyone else?

Wow, I need to be a motivational speaker.
Well yes when you smile you basically open your throat,so it's normal and yeah I agree with everything you said.Smile

Altenative is cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wanderlust on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 pm

I always found that odd, because letting myself smile while hitting high notes was an old habit I had when I first started to sing and had terrible, terrible technique. That was one of the first things that my voice teacher corrected when I started taking lessons, and it did seem to make a significant difference...

Wanderlust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 pm

when I smile and sing everything is too sharp. my smile is wide enough to give me semitones.

Back to top Go down

Post  colin040 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Doesn't smiling help singing you with an open throat? I noticed my higher notes (G, A and B4's) sound a lot better that way.

Also I feel imitating to be a real way to discover your own style. I atleast have already found out what I can and what I absolutely can't do. I think this also counts for popular singers that embrace their influences but don't rip them off. E.g David DeFeis (yes that singer again!) reminds me a lot of Bruce Dickinson when it comes to his midrange vocals and Illan Gillan when it comes to the higher shrieks, yet he has an own voice that I've never heard before.

This guy is also my major influence when it comes to singing though. He can sing softly, high and clean, scream, belt, sing whistle - you name it.

colin040

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonfripp on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Have you uploaded covers of yourself singing these songs? I'd like to listen and assess first. It's possible that you are still trying to imitate voices. When you cover another singer, try to bring out the placement and accents (not to be confused with speaking accent) of the song but don't imitate the tone. As such, learning to place and accent words is the key to singing in your own voice, your own style. Also, try adding riffs that aren't there in the original or colouring the melody but these things need to be attempted with care; they should be appropriate and not appear to be improv for the sake of it.

Crimsonfripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DDDiego on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:07 am

I think I told you this talking by skype but, what I did long ago was listening to how I sing the most comfortable song I can sing and then every time I tried to cover another song I thought of my voice in that first song. I imagined, if it should sound the same, how would it sound? and then I'd start singing... That made forced me to stop imitating other singers and start imitating myself. But then again that doesn't leave too much space for you to experiment with your voice does it? or going out of your comfort zone?? but yeah.. that's why I guess if you go to listen any song I've covered or any original song they sound in the same range and they sound all sung by me with no doubt..

DDDiego

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/diego-a-m

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum