Eric Sean Nally

Post  Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Voice type: Tenor
Sung Range: C2-E♭7

Significant high notes:

E♭7 (The Streets)
B6 (Holy Touch)!!
B5 (Wasted Feelings, Connect Me)
G♯5 (The Rocketeer, A Black Man's Breakfast)
G5 (Killin' It, Wasted Feelings)
F♯5 (The Science of Love)
F5 (Introducing Foxy, Yes! Yes! Yes!, Freedom)
E5 (Wanna-be Angel, I Wanna Be Yours, Count Me Out, Oh Lord!)
E♭5 (Oh Lord!, Red Cape Diver, Holy Touch, Last Chance At Love, Wasted Feelings)
D5 (Oh Lord!, The Science of Love, Red Cape Diver, Ghost Animals, Wanna-be Angel, Count Me Out, Second Floor, Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll, I Wanna Be Yours)
C♯5 (Unstoppable, The Rocketeer, Cool, Bombs Away, Second Floor, Holy Touch, Downtown)
C5 (A Dangerous Man, Yes! Yes! Yes!, Bombs Away, Wanna-be Angel, Bye Bye Symphony, Too Late Baby, I Wanna Be Yours, The Temple, The Streets, The Streets, Freedom)
B4 (I'll Be Home Soon Mother Earth, I Like It, Holy Touch, Too Late Baby, Wasted Feelings, The Streets)
B♭4 (Too Late Baby)

Significant low notes:

D♯3 (I Wanna Be Yours)
D3 (The Science of Love, Last Chance At Love, The Temple)
C3 (Forever Together, The Streets)
B2 (NO Don't Shoot, A Black Man's Breakfast, Too Late Baby)
G2 (Too Late Baby)
C2 (Forever Together)

Spoiler:
The lows (B2 and C2) from Too Late Baby are probably from Alex, who may be doing backup vocals, and I have no way of knowing for certain.

if anybody can confirm the singer by tone, please do.
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Eric Nally is the lead singer of the band Foxy Shazam.  In 2005 they released the album Flamingo Trigger, which featured Eric's impressive and expressive vocal instrument with nothing held back; shouting; yelling; screaming; that sort; it was very experimental in terms of post-hardcore.  2008's album, Introducing, brought a more alternative feel, with Eric Nally doing more than shouting: learning to sing to the limits of his quirky tenor.  After that came Foxy's self-titled album in 2010, which features very impressive pop singing from Eric - although still harsher and more rock than pop.  Finally, in 2012, we have The Church of Rock and Roll, a fantastic display of Eric's ever-improving voice.  His voice soars on extremely high notes, now much higher sung than the likes of Introducing, and he has more control over it, and can affect his tone better to go from clear highs to a grittier more textured sound.

Last edited by *(guy farting) on Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 am; edited 53 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Eric Sean Nally

Post  Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm

if anyone would like to help but doesn't want to buy the album, http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/foxyshazam.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Lurex wrote:A6 (Holy Touch)!! probably guitar-feedback, but I've heard otherwise. probably just a rumor, but everyone claims it's him.
Link?
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Abacus wrote:
Lurex wrote:A6 (Holy Touch)!! probably guitar-feedback, but I've heard otherwise. probably just a rumor, but everyone claims it's him.
Link?

I'm absolutely convinced it's feedback, but every fan I ask says it's Eric Facepalm .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kgBKS4JCsec#t=176s

no fucking way. Banghead

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm

I could actually buy that as voice. Gets up to B6 too, by the way.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 pm

That B6 is definitely Nally.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:59 pm

You're all nuts. Sweating

...deep down, I agree and know it's true.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:06 am

That B6 is voice, there's even an audible slide down that sounds like voice.
That note is also where my username comes from Smile
B6
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiralStatic on Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 am

"Oh Lord" chorus definitely goes up to an E5, as does the last one from "Count Me Out" after the key change
E5 in "Count me Out" could maybe be considered blue but the Eb right after it (this is what LOVE) is definitely modal

also a blue B5 "whoo!" right before the first chorus of "Connect"
SpiralStatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks! added.

I haven't done much notewatching for their self-titled yet, my main focus was on their newest; I really should revisit the older albums, I missed tons of notes.

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiralStatic on Fri May 10, 2013 3:37 pm

You've pretty much got all the important ones anyway, I'll give it a full listen later today and see if there's anything significant I forgot about

I'm more interested in some of the screams from the first two albums, a lot of them are ridiculously high and could probably be considered full (although very distorted obv.)
SpiralStatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 pm

his voice is rather low on Flamingo Trigger, IIRC. it definitely got higher later in his career with technique; I wouldn't guess there's anything significantly full or high TBH, but I could be very wrong (I hypothesize he was borderline LT back then, and for the most part of Introducing he was moving away from that).
For the most part, there's probably a lot of weird little noises of falsettish squeaks. Across The Golden Fields might have some, maybe some of the others are worth a second look too. I hope I'm not totally wrong on this Very Happy

however, Introducing - being a mix between Flamingo Trigger and a newer rock style - has some greatly shouted notes that are audible and modal. I will check that album out again.

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiralStatic on Fri May 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Yeah as far as remotely clean high notes he doesn't really go above the C5 or so on Flamingo, but I never tried pitching any of those really gritty screams he was pulling off back then and I'm sure a lot of them are gonna be upper-5th octave stuff.

Of course all those incredible wails from the self-titled onwards are much more impressive to me, it's really cool hearing him transform from a typical aggresive post-hardcore vocalist to the Freddie Mercury re-incarnation he is today.
SpiralStatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 am

new album this fall!  Party
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SpiralStatic on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:23 am

Ghost Animals has some great A5 screams touching on Bb5 after 2:40

SpiralStatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 am

idk if touring has gotten to him or if maybe all the smoking and bad form have caught up, but man is his voice failing... and this is an official album.  it no longer soars, it's weak and uncontrolled.  sounds like a bad live recording of his voice, to be honest.  every track is like this.

http://fs-gonzo.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by The Great Lurex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:37 am

i cannot understand how much he's failing to his most notes that would've been piss easy for him around the time of au contraire... it's really sad. the tone has suffered and he just sounds uncomfortable, like he's fatigued and wants to get it over with. it's tired sounding.  Sad 
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 am

Have they had a rigorous touring schedule? Would explain a number of things.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:09 am

it's still not much of an excuse... it's a studio album, but it doesn't feel like they spent much time in the studio.  it's uninspired, sloppy, and overall underwhelming for a band that hasn't done much for a long time (not since 2012).

i saw them in concert several months back, and they haven't done a concert since then.  they even announced that the album would be released in fall, yet here it is now.  this is just a real let down from one of their biggest fans. what's worse, Steve Albini worked on it with them, yet it's their worst mixed album yet - if he can't fix it, i'm really lost as to what went wrong.
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:21 pm

LUREX wrote:it's still not much of an excuse... it's a studio album, but it doesn't feel like they spent much time in the studio.  it's uninspired, sloppy, and overall underwhelming for a band that hasn't done much for a long time (not since 2012).

i saw them in concert several months back, and they haven't done a concert since then.  they even announced that the album would be released in fall, yet here it is now.  this is just a real let down from one of their biggest fans.  what's worse, Steve Albini worked on it with them, yet it's their worst mixed album yet - if he can't fix it, i'm really lost as to what went wrong.

It seems to be much more of a grower than others. They went much more lowkey than their other stuff, so it doesn't try to hit ya in the gut like their earlier stuff. I respect FS as probably the last rock auteurs we're gonna get in a while, but yeah it's pretty disappointing. I still enjoy it, but it could be improved.
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurex on Fri May 01, 2015 2:42 am

god this thread was missing so many vital notes. : (
Lurex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Fri May 01, 2015 2:44 am

The Great Lurex wrote:god this thread was missing so many vital notes.  : (
Red C2s In Love
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Betzer on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:34 pm

He has resurfaced and he sounds really good too.
Betzer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yex00 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:59 pm

Betzer wrote:
He has resurfaced and he sounds really good too.

Thank god his voice on Gonzo was just a stylistic decision and not vocal damage. Although his high notes are sounding thinner than The Church of Rock n Roll.
Yex00

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/yex00

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top