View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nils Frykdahl

Post  Zedd Squared on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Voice type: Rock Against Rock Bass
Vocal range: A1-D5

Significant high notes:

• D5 ("Show Me You're Ready")
  • B4 ("Tusan Homichi Tuvota")
  • B♭4 ("A Hymn to the Morning Star" live 2008, "Gunday's Child", "The Companions")
  • A4 ("A Hymn to the Morning Star", "Phthisis", "Something", "Tusan Homichi Tuvota")
  • G♯4 ("1997", "FC: The Freedom Club", "Helpless Corpses Enactment", "Idiot Song", "In Speed", "Meat", "Sleep is Wrong", "Still Here", "The Salt Crown", "Tusan Homichi Tuvota")
  • G4 ("Babydoctor", "Black Sand", "Cockroach", "Loveride", "Motherfucker", "Not My Song", "Powerless", "Tusan Homichi Tuvota", "Twitch")
  • F♯4 ("1997", "A Hymn to the Morning Star" live 2008, "Chicken Little", "FC: The Freedom Club", "Not My Song", "Puppet Show", "Sleep is Wrong", "The Donkey Headed Adversary of Humanity Opens The Discussion", "The Questioning")
  • F4 ("Chicken Little", "Diggity Cow and the Dandy Mr. Clyde", "Puppet Show", "Still Here", "The Companions", "The Greenless Wreath", "The Turnip" live, "Twitch")
  • E4 ("1997", "FC: The Freedom Club", "In Speed", "Invisible", "Mouth", "Powerless", "Rising Din", "Something", "The Companions", "The Donkey Headed Adversary of Humanity Opens the Discussion", "The Greenless Wreath", "The Salt Crown")
  • E♭4 ("Babydoctor", "Fire & Castration", "Gunday's Child", "Lucy Belle", "Rising Din", "Sleep is Wrong", "Something", "The Corwith Brothers", "Tusan Homichi Tuvota")
  • D4 ("Almost Nothing", "Babydoctor", "Phthisis", "The Companions", "The Salt Crown")

Significant low notes:

• C3 ("FC: The Freedom Club", "O My Stars")
  • B2 ("Rising Din", "Still Here", "The Questioning", "The Salt Crown")
  • B♭2 ("Chicken Little", "Invisible")
  • A2 ("Cockroach", "O Mary", "The Corwith Brothers")
  • G♯2 ("Chicken Little", "Fire & Castration", "In Speed")
  • G2 ("Diggity Cow and the Dandy Mr. Clyde", "Invisible", "Sweeping Spells", "The Companions")
  • F♯2 ("Almost Nothing", "Not My Song", "O Mary", "Rising Din", "Something")
  • F2 ("Almost Nothing", "Beautiful Blade", "Fire & Castration", "Sweeping Spells", "The Turnip" live)
  • E2 ("Beautiful Blade", "Diggity Cow and the Dandy Mr. Clyde", "Dream On a Train", "Idiot Song", "Not My Song", "Roadkill", "The Straw")
  • E♭2 ("Housewife", "In Speed", "Powerless", "The Corwith Brothers", "The Salt Crown")
  • D2 ("A Hymn to the Morning Star", "Babydoctor", "Dream On a Train", "Master of Puppets", "The Turnip" live, "Tusan Homichi Tuvota")
  • C♯2 ("A Hymn to the Morning Star", "Invisible", "Loveride", "Lucy Belle", "Rising Din", "Sleep is Wrong")
  • C2 ("Almost Nothing", "Diggity Cow and the Dandy Mr. Clyde", "FC: The Freedom Club", "Helpless Corpses Enactment", "Mouse Song", "Roadkill")
  • B1 ("Roadkill", "Tusan Homichi Tuvota")
  • B♭1 ("Idiot Song")
  • A1 ("People in Your Neighborhood")

-Thread originally by Danerage

One of the most unique musicians I've heard in avant garde music. Known for his work with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Idiot Flesh, the great folk duo Faun Fables, Charming Hostess, and most recently Free Salamander Exhibit.
*Underlined notes are found in backing vocals or otherwise obscured in the song mix.
*Blue marks soft falsetto notes.
*Green marks harsh distorted notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Last edited by Zedd Squared on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:54 pm; edited 19 times in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nils Frykdahl

Post  SSJ3 on Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Sorry about bumping an older thread with nothing to contribute, but I just stumbled across the song "A Hymn to the Morning Star" by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and those C#2s blew my mind! I was very pleased to see this guy already had a thread here, definitely one of my new favorite singers Very Happy

SSJ3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Parallax on Tue May 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Are the extremely high notes in Hymn to the Morning Star Nils hitting a sick falsetto or Carla being Carla?
Parallax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue May 05, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm leaning towards them being Carla personally.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Parallax on Wed May 06, 2015 7:02 am

im comparing them to the high notes hit by Carla in Ablutions and i dont see much of a resemblance honestly. they sound EXTREMELY forced for the volume its at and carla seems to be able to hit those high head voice notes almost effortlessly. im leaning more towards Nils but im not sure.
Parallax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:42 pm

6:05 - Looks like Carla's doing it here at least.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Parallax on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:36 am

Zedd Squared wrote:
6:05 - Looks like Carla's doing it here at least.

Well, its a backing harmony and i doubt nils would go for a high falsetto, if that was him, when his lower voice is SO much stronger. i wish he actually did shit still, he has an incredible voice and he just isnt really putting it to good use recently.
Parallax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:40 am

That's not actually true, there's a new Faun Fables album on the way plus his new band Free Salamnder Exhibit is working on a new album too.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Parallax on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Zedd Squared wrote:That's not actually true, there's a new Faun Fables album on the way plus his new band Free Salamnder Exhibit is working on a new album too.

oh shit i didnt know that i just remember checking all his shit a couple months back and it was almost like he disappeared.
Parallax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top