Peter Cetera

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peter Cetera

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Voice type: Tenor
Sung range: G2-G5

Significant high notes:

G5 ("I'm a Man", "Sing a Mean Tune, Kid")
F5 ("Sing a Mean Tune, Kid")
E♭5 ("If You Leave Me Now", "I'm a Man", "Sing a Mean Tune, Kid")
D5 ("I'm a Man", "In the Country")
C♯5 ("Hard to Say I'm Sorry", "In the Country", "Where Do We Go from Here")
C5 ("Evil Eye", "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", "I Can Feel It", "I'm a Man", "(I Wanna Take) Forever Tonight", "Livin' in the Limelight", "Questions 67 and 68", "Sing a Mean Tune, Kid", "Someday", "Where Do We Go from Here", "25 or 6 to 4")
B4 ("Faithfully", "If You Leave Me Now", "In Terms of Two", "Lowdown", "The Road", "What Else Can I Say", "Where Do We Go from Here", "Winter Wonderland")
B♭4 ("If You Leave Me Now")
A4 ("Glory of Love", "In Terms of Two", "Let It Snow", "Livin' in the Limelight", "Movin' in", "Practical Man", "Santa Claus Coming to Town", "Something That Santa Claus Left Behind", "Wake Up Sunshine", "25 or 6 to 4")

Significant low notes:

G2 ("I Can Feel It")
A2 ("Winter Wonderland")
C3 ("I'll Be Home for Christmas")
E3 ("Faithfully", "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town")
F3 ("Alone for the Holidays", "I'll Be Home for Christmas", "Let It Snow", "The Christmas Song")

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

One of the many lead vocalists of Chicago, Peter Cetera's light tenor proved to be one of the most iconic voices the band had had. While singing along with the Jimi Hendrix-like baritone of Terry Kath, Cetera was always pushing his voice up to the higher harmonies without much effort, and sang tenor high Cs on various songs during Chicago's varying career. A rare feature of his singing is that he rarely opens his mouth wide while singing, and the reason's this:

TFP: Is that a true story about how you came to have that clenched-jaw singing style? You, a Chicago Cubs fan, were at a game in Los Angeles in 1969 and got into a fight?

Cetera: Yeah, let’s just say some Marines didn’t like my long hair and we got into a little beef, and I had a broken jaw and I was wired shut for a few months. And when they cut the wires off, I was always afraid of my jaw sticking open again, so I don’t really open my mouth a lot when I sing.

I like Chicago's early music a lot, but sadly the quality of their recordings drastically decreased as the time went by. Cetera's solo albums I can't stand.

Great vocals from their best song.

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Cetera

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Fantastic singer. His C5s are just effortless.

KeithMoonIsGod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Cetera

Post  .Bruno on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 am

Amazing singer.
Great topic, Timi! Tiphat

.Bruno

View user profile http://www.topsongs.com.br

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top