View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tommi Salmela

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 am

Voice type: Tenor
Sung range: C♯3-G5
Total range: F2-G5

Significant high notes:

G5 ("Purgatory", "The Mob Rules")
F♯5 ("Purgatory", "Thunderstruck" live on Tartu Mikkiin 2008)
F5 ("Back in the Fire" live Undead Indeed 2007)
E5 ("Black Night" live on Tartu Mikkiin 2008, "Demolished by Fire", "Heartbeat")
E♭5 ("Crows Fly Black")
D5 ("Ashes to the Stars" live Undead Indeed 2007)
C♯5 ("Anathematized", "Dead-Like Silence", "Demolished by Fire", "Purgatory")
C5 ("Bleeding Dust" live Undead Indeed 2007, "I Walk Forever", "Pieni Rumpali" live in Nosturi 2009, "Rock 'n' Roll Children" live on Tartu Mikkiin 2008)
B4 ("Back in the Fire" live Undead Indeed 2007, "Black Night", live on Tartu Mikkiin 2008, "Heartbeat", "Heinillä Härkien Kaukalon" live at Tavastia 2010, "Paradise City" live on Kuorosota 2010, "Taivas Lyö Tulta" live on Tartu Mikkiin 2008, "The Mob Rules" live at Ronnie James Dio Memorial Gala 2010, "Wish I Had an Angel" live on Tartu Mikkiin 2008)
B♭4 ("Ashes to the Stars", "Back in the Fire" live Undead Indeed 2007, "Bleeding Dust" live Undead Indeed 2007, "Fatality Pt. 2: Deathwave", "Home Sweet Home" live on Tartu Mikkiin 2008, "Purgatory", "The Spell of Iron", "Wings of Darkness")

Significant low notes:

F2 (Introducing "The Mob Rules" live at Ronnie James Dio Memorial Gala 2010)
C♯3 ("Dead-Like Silence")
E3 ("I Walk Forever")

*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Mainly known for his career as the second vocalist and the sampler of the metal band Tarot, Salmela is the right-hand man of Marco Hietala. Though a tad lighter and more nasally, Salmela owns an extremely similar approach to Hietala's, which allows them to harmonize really well, blending their voices into one. The Hietala-like strong vibrato is also present, and so are the extremely well controlled high notes.

I'd rank this as Salmela's best vocal performance.

Back to top Go down

Re: Tommi Salmela

Post  Eriel on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:49 pm

This guy's got a great high voice.
I think we could find plenty of notes between D5 and F5 in his backing vocals, starting by "Undead Son" in live, maybe.

Eriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top