Meat Loaf

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Meat Loaf

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:20 am

AJD125 wrote:
Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:

Oh God! SO BAD!!!!

His main issues are pitch, timing, enunciating, etc.

It seems that his range isn't shot to shit, but his control is GONE!
exactly. although his range isn't exactly good nowadays probably something like C3-A4
He was hitting B4s and C5s throughout this performance, but it's like he was just throwing random notes everywhere--not even bothering to try to keep time or the key signature (plus his enunciation is awful)!
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/Gregsynth?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Post  lordhamleg on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:46 am

By his own admission, he lost it completely in the early 80s. That's why Bat II took so long to put out. He got it back in the late 80s.

I don't understand how you can think his voice was good in the 00s. Yeah, he hits High-Cs and Bs, but his voice is shot. He just warbles through songs. Listen to "For Crying Out Loud" in 2004. It's embarrassing.

lordhamleg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:13 am

lordhamleg wrote:By his own admission, he lost it completely in the early 80s. That's why Bat II took so long to put out. He got it back in the late 80s.

I don't understand how you can think his voice was good in the 00s. Yeah, he hits High-Cs and Bs, but his voice is shot. He just warbles through songs. Listen to "For Crying Out Loud" in 2004. It's embarrassing.
He first lost his voice in the late 70s and got it back by the recording sessions of Dead Ringer. His vocals on Midnight at the Lost and Found and Bad Attitude are great.

It all depends on the song. He tended to sing the uptempo songs better than the slower songs.

Not on par with his peak vocals from previous decades, but this sounds pretty decent compared to other songs from the same show and certainly way better than his vocals from the present era.
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:05 am

And for reference, here's prime Meatloaf singing the song.

His articulation and control was so much better back then! I wonder what would cause those to deteriorate.
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:34 am

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:
lordhamleg wrote:By his own admission, he lost it completely in the early 80s. That's why Bat II took so long to put out. He got it back in the late 80s.

He first lost his voice in the late 70s and got it back by the recording sessions of Dead Ringer. His vocals on Midnight at the Lost and Found and Bad Attitude are great.

It all depends on the song. He tended to sing the uptempo songs better than the slower songs.

Not on par with his peak vocals from previous decades, but this sounds pretty decent compared to other songs from the same show and certainly way better than his vocals from the present era.
That sounds allright yeah, but listen to the word "Aroouuunnd" at 0:42. Autotune..
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:35 am

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:

And for reference, here's prime Meatloaf singing the song.

His articulation and control was so much better back then! I wonder what would cause those to deteriorate.
Age, health, nodules.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 am

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:
AJD125 wrote:
Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:

Oh God! SO BAD!!!!

His main issues are pitch, timing, enunciating, etc.

It seems that his range isn't shot to shit, but his control is GONE!
exactly. although his range isn't exactly good nowadays probably something like C3-A4
He was hitting B4s and C5s throughout this performance, but it's like he was just throwing random notes everywhere--not even bothering to try to keep time or the key signature (plus his enunciation is awful)!
His range is still here! But i think he just need some insane vocal teacher + maybe some vocal cord surgery to get it all back on track.

Wich is... too bad, he was a great singer, and he still sounds decent on some notes.. but 90% of the time he just sounds lousy and out of breath, and he fully lost control of his vocal cords.
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Monocus on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:46 am

bradphone wrote:His range is still here! But i think he just need some insane vocal teacher + maybe some vocal cord surgery to get it all back on track.

Wich is... too bad, he was a great singer, and he still sounds decent on some notes.. but 90% of the time he just sounds lousy and out of breath, and he fully lost control of his vocal cords.
He did have a vocal coach teach him some proper technique a few years ago.
Probably should have done so before the damage was done.

The best explanation for the kind of problems he's having would be a stroke (although he denies to have had one).
He does, however, have a heart condition so who knows...
Monocus
Range Advisor

View user profile http://last.fm/user/Monocus

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:19 am

Monocus wrote:
bradphone wrote:His range is still here! But i think he just need some insane vocal teacher + maybe some vocal cord surgery to get it all back on track.

He did have a vocal coach teach him some proper technique a few years ago.
Probably should have done so before the damage was done.

The best explanation for the kind of problems he's having would be a stroke (although he denies to have had one).
He does, however, have a heart condition so who knows...
hmm, indeed.. i remember him having a coach for Bat Out Of Hell III to get rid of some excessive vibrato..
But i dunno.... heart condition? never knew that, he still puts on a great show !
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Meat Loaf had this condition which caused him to collapse during a 2003 show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff-Parkinson-White_syndrome
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I know nodules and age would affect someone's tone for sure. I've never heard of them actually affecting someone's ability to enunciate words. Maybe it was a combination of health issues or something weird.

Yeah, Bradphone pretty much nailed it on the head: Meat loaf totally lost his vocal control!
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:Meat Loaf had this condition which caused him to collapse during a 2003 show:

Didnt he also collapse in 2010/2011 on some shows?
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:I know nodules and age would affect someone's tone for sure. I've never heard of them actually affecting someone's ability to enunciate words. Maybe it was a combination of health issues or something weird.

Yeah, Bradphone pretty much nailed it on the head: Meat loaf totally lost his vocal control!
I think its a combination of this combined. Its so sad, he still has a few good moments, but its quite a surprise that people actually buy concert tickets to his show...
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:42 pm

bradphone wrote:
Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:Meat Loaf had this condition which caused him to collapse during a 2003 show:

Didnt he also collapse in 2010/2011 on some shows?
He did collapse on at least two 2011 shows. There's video on Youtube of the post-fainting and he resumes the show afterwards. He mentioned "asthma" as the reason.
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:43 pm

bradphone wrote:
Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:I know nodules and age would affect someone's tone for sure. I've never heard of them actually affecting someone's ability to enunciate words. Maybe it was a combination of health issues or something weird.

I think its a combination of this combined. Its so sad, he still has a few good moments, but its quite a surprise that people actually buy concert tickets to his show...
I've read numerous reviews from his shows dating back to 2011 and most reviews mention people walking out of the show!
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:
bradphone wrote:

I've read numerous reviews from his shows dating back to 2011 and most reviews mention people walking out of the show!
I can imagine.. sadly.
I bought a ticket for his show in May in Zwolle here in Holland, but i could sell the ticket last minute, and i dont regret it..

Too bad that i didnt see him live, but i`d rather go and see Bob Dylan or Chuck Berry live Very Happy
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:20 pm

11:40 OUCH.
11:52 Very flat.

Throughout the song it really is obvious that he lost all his control, he doesn`t sing them anymore, he wobbles a lot, and his pitch falls down after every word...
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Yeah he's pretty much done at this point.

The vocal performance is good as long as he doesn't sing. Very Happy 
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:Yeah he's pretty much done at this point.

The vocal performance is good as long as he doesn't sing. Very Happy 
Unless he does the same thing Roger Daltrey did with surgery... but i doubt that would help him alot...
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lordhamleg on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:52 am

Meat has had surgery before. It hasn't helped.

It doesn't matter. He has a stint at Vegas now. People pay for the spectacle of seeing Meat Loaf, for the effort he still gives despite the fact his voice is toast, and for the nostalgia factor. Also, his band is really kick ass.

lordhamleg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:17 am

0:26 - 0:40
That actually sounds decent! This is 2010, what happend over the last 3 years?...

9:20 - 9:48... i`m actually quite stunned! almost Pitch Perfect! and this was 1998!

2007 performance of Bat Out Of Hell. at 11:18 the first "like a bat out of heeeeeeeeelllll" is nearly spot on! Quite good actually. At 2:10 he starts good aswell, a bit sluggish maybe but  still good! (It doesn`t sound like the sound was post-processed)

2011 performance, dreadfull, really, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad.

Last edited by bradphone on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 am

lordhamleg wrote:Meat has had surgery before. It hasn't helped.

It doesn't matter. He has a stint at Vegas now. People pay for the spectacle of seeing Meat Loaf, for the effort he still gives despite the fact his voice is toast, and for the nostalgia factor. Also, his band is really kick ass.
I wanted to see him for all those reasons you just said! But when i looked up clips on YouTube i sold the ticket, i thought by myself "I dont want to be the fan who leaves after 10 minutes.."

He stopped doing all the stage acts on this tour though... the last time we really saw "Meat" was in 2010 - 2011 ! with his great stage attitude, and his great performance.
He still gives a great performance, but the attitude is almost completely gone... must have to do something with his Knee surgery..
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Balto on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:37 am

But then again, Obama knows more about musical tastes than politics. That's a fact.
Balto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:34 am

I think you're in the wrong thread...though now that I think about it, we don't have a page for Obama's range yet. Feel free to start one in the Work in Progress Threads section if you like. Tiphat 
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  My Fairy King on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:39 am

He's a sustained and controlled A5 during a general conference at the White House...
He's a Low Tenor...
And here there's Obama showing his vocal skills.
My Fairy King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top