James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: James Earl Jones

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm well aware that there is intention and direction that goes into actors reciting their lines, but it's not exactly musical control. They may sometimes imitate a deep voice or something of the sort as part of a performance, but no singer acts a part with the deliberate intent to reach specific pitches while speaking.

Besides, the forum has already gone down that road in its attempts to notewatch actors, and it was pretty unanimously agreed that the results were abysmal. See the aforementioned Simon Pegg thread (although that one was done ironically to prove a point of about how bad these kinds of threads are) and the Leonardo DiCaprio thread for further examples of this.

Last edited by Wanderlust on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Wanderlust wrote:I'm well aware that there is intention and direction that goes into actors reciting their lines, but it's not exactly musical control. They may sometimes imitate a deep voice or something of the sort as part of a performance, but no singer acts a part with the deliberate intent to reach specific pitches while speaking.

Oh, you have proof of this do you?
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:17 pm

I was saying it as a generalization. But if you wanna play that game, why don't you go ahead and show me some proof that Jones was aiming to hit an A1 while saying "yes, master"?
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:02 am

I don't need to prove it, the same that everyone doesn't have to prove that every singer absolutely intended to hit every note they sang. Before you go on about "but it fits the key", many singers don't think about exact pitches either, just as long as it fits into what they are singing to. I've heard many singers who say the same thing, "I had no idea what notes I was hitting, just that it sounded good."
Obviously without a music context it's harder to quantify, but that's because you're judging it by musical standards, which isn't what it is striving to be. I said that a lot of the same thought and ability goes into formulating and creating the performance. Of course that is not true for everyone, which is why stuff like the Leonardo DiCaprio thread was so abysmal; Leo is obviously not someone who is planning out every word he speaks perfectly. If it turns out that he does do something to that affect I would be very surprised, and eat my words, but I can not see that being the case. Someone like Jones though does come from a tradition of integrated voice control; his voice is his greatest gift and he knows it, and has put a lot of effort into making sure he uses it to the best of his ability. As with almost all actors with this focus, singing ability is a by-product of such control.
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:35 am

Rodney Razorshorts wrote:I don't need to prove it, the same that everyone doesn't have to prove that every singer absolutely intended to hit every note they sang. Before you go on about "but it fits the key", many singers don't think about exact pitches either, just as long as it fits into what they are singing to. I've heard many singers who say the same thing, "I had no idea what notes I was hitting, just that it sounded good."
I'd say that's more an issue of semantics. Just because they didn't know the names of the pitches they were hitting doesn't mean they didn't have any sense of melodic intuition to help guide them to the notes. Because literally "not knowing what notes you're hitting" would mean being clueless to the point of not being able to replicate a vocal melody live.
Rodney Razorshorts wrote:Obviously without a music context it's harder to quantify, but that's because you're judging it by musical standards, which isn't what it is striving to be.
Which is my major problem with it.
Rodney Razorshorts wrote:I said that a lot of the same thought and ability goes into formulating and creating the performance. Of course that is not true for everyone, which is why stuff like the Leonardo DiCaprio thread was so abysmal; Leo is obviously not someone who is planning out every word he speaks perfectly. If it turns out that he does do something to that affect I would be very surprised, and eat my words, but I can not see that being the case. Someone like Jones though does come from a tradition of integrated voice control; his voice is his greatest gift and he knows it, and has put a lot of effort into making sure he uses it to the best of his ability. As with almost all actors with this focus, singing ability is a by-product of such control.
I can agree with some of this logic, but here's my gripes with it and the thread as a whole:
a.) Like I said, it feels like the majority of the notes in the OP are there as compensation for his lack of more sung notes, rather than the fact that they represent his range well. We wouldn't bother with "notes" like those if he actually had sung ones, and the fact that we keep them there for that reason just comes off as us being desperate to list him for something.
b.) If the OP were just his few sung notes and a few poetry readings or something, I would be able to get more on board with that at least. But with the way it stands now, it resembles the Leonardo DiCaprio thread in the sense that it follows the TRP1 logic of "every sound to ever come out of his mouth must be counted towards his range". And I'm sorry, but with all due respect, the fact that he's a famous bass with a great speaking voice doesn't make that any more true for him than it does for anyone else. Now I realize that that wouldn't leave much in the ways of highs to count for him, but hell, even something like this would be better than the majority of the shouts that he's currently listed for:
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:32 am

All duly noted, and it all comes down to a matter of preference for acknowledging notes in non-musical context, so again, there's the door.
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 am

Well if you're gonna be like that, maybe I should just take over the thread myself.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 am

here you go.

Can we get back to adding material to the thread (or at least trying to), instead of getting needlessly butthurt?
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:09 pm

NOW we're talking! Great singing there, I heard at least G♯2-B3, maybe a bit higher. B3 should definitely be considered a high note for him, though. Heard some really nice money notes on that pitch in the song.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:16 pm

I think the "Nooo" notes are good enough to be included if you're interested in an overhaul. The G1 that's linked from the Edgar Allen Poe reading just appears to be nanocruses, though. Wink I don't know about most of the other stuff in the OP, TBH.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:20 pm

The "nooooo!"s are about as significant to his range as any other instance of a person yelling "nooooooo!" is to their respective range, so... Wasn\'t Me

Also, how do you hit a nanocrusis (or anacrusis of any sort, for that matter) in a non-melodic context? Or did you just mean nanonotes in general?
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Wanderlust wrote:Also, how do you hit a nanocrusis (or anacrusis of any sort, for that matter) in a non-melodic context? Or did you just mean nanonotes in general?
I meant that it was short and uninteresting.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:15 pm

I know what he means; anacrusis is obviously a musical term, but the idea of a supershort pitch at the beginning of a phrase/sentence that immediately slides up. Should be counted the same way an actual anacrusis would, fair enough.

Edit: on relisten, it's not a "nanocrusis" at all, it's clearly a supported pitch. Do you mean that's it's at the end of the phrase?
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top