Carl Albert

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carl Albert

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 am

Voice type: Tenor
Vocal range: C♯2-A5

Significant high notes:

• A5 ("Against the Grain")
  • G♯5 ("Kamikaze", "Minute to Kill", "No Fate", "Paint it Black", "Sense of Security", "Thrills in the Night", "Tie Your Mother Down")
  • G5 ("Eyes of Fire", "Fight for Your Life", "Mastermind", "Paint it Black", "Thinking of You")
  • F♯5 ("Abandoned", "Children", "Don't Wait for Me", "Hellraiser", "On the Edge", "Out of the Shadows", "Thinking of You", "Thunder and Rain Pt. 2", "Worlds and Machines")
  • F5 ("Build #6", "Lady Took a Chance", "Ministry of Fear", "R.L.H.", "The Crest", "Thinking of You", "World Church")
  • E5 ("All Rights Reserved", "Ends of the Earth", "Eyes of Fire", "Minute to Kill", "No Fate", "The Voice", "Thinking of You")
  • E♭5 ("Abandoned", "Against the Grain", "Building #6", "Digital Dictator", "Down to the Temple", "Dragons", "Dreaming", "Kamikaze", "Lady Took a Chance", "Mastermind", "Ministry of Fear", "No Fate", "Only Time Will Tell", "Out of the Shadows", "Paint it Black", "Savior from Anger", "She'll Make You Fall in Love (Again)", "Ship of Fools", "The Crest", "Thrills in the Night", "Thunder and Rain Pt. 2", "Tie Your Mother Down", "Tribes", "When Love Comes Down", "World Church", "Worlds and Machines")
  • D5 ("All Rights Reserved")
  • C♯5 ("Against the Grain", "All Rights Reserved", "Children", "Dust to Dust", "Just Close Your Eyes", "Ministry of Fear", "On the Edge", "R.L.H.", "Sense of Security", "The Voice", "Thunder and Rain Pt. 2", "Tribes")
  • C5 ("No Fate", "World Church")
  • B4 ("Dreaming", "The Voice", "Thunder and Rain Pt. 2")
  • B♭4 ("Against the Grain", "Just Close Your Eyes", "Ship of Fools", "Thunder and Rain Pt. 1", "Tribes")

Significant low notes:

• F3 ("Thunder and Rain Pt. 1")
  • E♭3 ("No Fate", "Ship of Fools", "When Love Comes Down")
  • C♯3 ("Thinking of You")
  • C3 ("Go to Hell")
  • C♯2 ("Thunder and Rain Pt. 1")

Very underrated heavy/power metal singer from metal cult legends Vicious Rumors. Initially his vocal style was characterized almost exclusively by wide vibrato, effortlessly clean highs, and a dramatic delivery. This was especially notable in his pre Vicious Rumors bands such as Villain, Scratch, and Ruffians. By the time he sang on his first Vicious Rumors album called Digital Dictator he began to incorporate a more casual style of delivery and more rasp. On their 1990 self titled album and Welcome to the Ball he began mixing the approaches together into an approach feeling somewhat reminiscent of Crimson Glory's Midnight only with a less ridiculously bright timbre. Unfortunately he died in a car crash in 1995, only a year after he released what I consider to be his most vocally mature and interesting release entitled Word of Mouth, wherein he took his rasp and power to greater levels as well as incorporating a darker tonality and varied clean approaches.
*Underlines mark notes found in backing vocals or otherwise obscured in the song mix.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Last edited by Whackooyzero on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 11 times in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carl Albert

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 am

Can you link me the A5?

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 am

4:12, starting to think it might not qualify as sung though.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 am

Personally, I think it does.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 am

Yeah I guess I can see that view too. Would you say it's an orange note?
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 am

I certainly think so, man.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sad Wings on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:40 am

1:07, 3:08, 3:35

Great cover Rock 2:30, 2:55, 3:10 onwards

5:04

2:48, 3:17, 3:51

Sad Wings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sad Wings on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 am

Sad Wings

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:09 am

I've moved this thread to the WIP section because it's really unfinished and rough. I hope to fix up his OP soon because he's a truly underrated metal singer. Word of Mouth is a really cool album in particular.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:51 am

Agreed. Excellent singer. Digital Dictator and Welcome to the Ball are great albums. I'll go through those soon and post anything I find that's significant.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  colin040 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Recently checked some Vicious Rumors. Digital Dictator is cool, though pretty common (for its time) USPM. Welcome to the Ball however sounds grittier and I love Carl's raspy vocal approach there. He really sounds like Mike Howe on that album at times!

Which VR albums should I hear next?

EDIT: Bb5 in the harmony at 2:53 here?

colin040

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 am

Hmm not sure about that note. Some weird overtones seem to be going on though which is creating a C♯6 illusion I THINK but I'm not sure.

As for VR, I think you've basically found the material you'd like by my estimation. The self titled is more Queensryche-y but also with a cheese factor despite some hella cool songs and vocal performances such as Ship of Fools. I really dig Word of Mouth minus it's kinda empty sounding production but that album is more controversial amongst fans because it contains some noticeable 90s alternative influences. His vocals on there are like a more tasteful, slightly lower placed and more pissed off Midnight though which sounds pretty awesome to me. The prog flavor on some of the tracks makes it stand out more in my opinion too. You might dig some of the later albums such as Warball but I'm not sure.

Man this OP needs some editing though. I'll add a few of the previously posted notes for now since I'm not in a position to note watch at the moment.

PS: Colin I love that you actually kept that Hanging in the Balance avatar I added to your profile at random one night lol.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  colin040 on Fri May 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks. I'll just check any more of those albums out.

Digital Dictator sounds pretty mweh to me at the moment. There's just so much better 80's USPM out there. I still think Minute to Kill and Worlds and Machines are killer tunes though.

Welcome to the Ball is really damn cool and I regret not checking It earlier. The vocals are top-notch and remind me a bit of Mike Howe as I already mentioned but also of Midnight had he had more weight in his voice. And the songs on that album are great, too. Plenty of variety thrown in without becoming experimental.

EDIT: G5 at Raise Your Hands at 2:52 followed by a another piercing F#5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StNF9rWQ0q4

colin040

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top