Jeff Lynne

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jeff Lynne

Post  Hopscotch on Fri May 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Well those were some rather emotional(!) posts.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Abacus wrote:Well those were some rather emotional(!) posts.

Yea I get really worked up in environments involving pictures of Jeff Lynne. Just...look at that fro... those shades.. I can't keep my cool.

Abacus, please do read all the commentary on that Jeff Lynne thread I made.. I think you will find some very interesting new facts... god speed.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sat May 04, 2013 3:54 am

I did read that. And I can firmly respond that I really really don't care what voice type anybody considers him.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 04, 2013 9:34 am

Abacus wrote:I did read that. And I can firmly respond that I really really don't care what voice type anybody considers him.

ehhh not what I was talking about but okay thanks Cheers
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sat May 04, 2013 9:37 am

Talking
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Sat May 04, 2013 1:01 pm

I put so much efffort into the speculation.... let me just retrieve it and place it directly in front of you so I don't have to make you work my sweet dear friend my love.

excerpt from jeff lynne thread -

Here is another fantastic example of his singing. At this point in the process of this thread I would like to say I could call him a high baritone. It's really weird to hear him sing because he really does have many different styles. I think this whole album "Discovery" as a whole is sung rather heavier I suppose. I think back to "Time" where he is gliding on all the fourth octave with ease. Maybe he was matching his voice to George Harrison's as he got older and his voice deepened as well?

...or perhaps Jeff Lynne was in love with George Harrison and he always chose to sing like him... notice this song linked above.. a love song sung surprisingly alike to George Harrison's voice. Now whats this... at 1:30 in the video is that a shot of George Harrison as a Beatle playing guitar? Right after he sings "Loving you, i'm feeling midnight blue." Strange....
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Here is a post

Post  Lars Gordonhauser on Sun May 05, 2013 5:40 am

Bb4 on "California" Man"
A4 on "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle", "In my own time", "Eldorado", "Nobody Home" (background), "What Would It Take"
G#4 on "Running scared, "Do Ya", "Endless Lies", "Momma", "Heading for the light"
G4 on "10538 Overture", "Handle With Care - Live", Lift Me Up"

All of those are full voice.

The non-modal G5 on "Do Ya" might be Jeff, but its probably Kelly or Ben.

Last edited by Lars Gordonhauser on Sun May 05, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : OCD)
Lars Gordonhauser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 am

Ah, it's my good friend The Gordonhauser, together we me may teach some sense among these forsaken lost souls whom dwell here.
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am

Lars Gordonhauser wrote:Bb on "California" Man"
A4 on "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle", "In my own time", "Eldorado",
G#4 on "Running scared, "Do Ya", "Endless Lies", "Momma"
G4 on "10538 Overture"

The G5 On "Do Ya" Might be Jeff, but its probably Kelly or Ben.

Thank you, I will add all these notes now. I hope they are correct. I am assuming that the first note you posted was intended as Bb4?
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 pm

The Great Heroins wrote:
G4 on "10538 Overture"

Thank you, I will add all these notes now. I hope they are correct. I am assuming that the first note you posted was intended as Bb4?

I can confirm he did.
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Sun May 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Leonard_Cohen wrote:
The Great Heroins wrote:
G4 on "10538 Overture"

I can confirm he did.

Awesome, I'm going to add these notes now. Tell your friend I said thanks a lot!
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Sun May 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm surprised Telephone Line doesn't have any notes on the post, even the updated one.. Probably my favorite ELO song (though I've yet to get into them that much yet).

There's your proof. I'm referring to the notes that are obviously him as well, not the iffy refrain ones.. ie 3:15, and he does falsetto in that break in an earlier part of the song

Last edited by Holsety on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  dies on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:05 pm

I was introduced to this band by a friend who knew I'm obsessed with Queen and stated that this guy "kinda sounded like an amateur Freddie Mercury" (10538 Overture reminds me a lot of Freddie). first song I listened to was Nightrider and fell in love. explored more of their catalog and found out I knew a LOT of songs by them! overall great band, amazing singer.

in regards to his voice type, it's a mystery I've been trying to crack myself as well. both he and Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips sound very similar, and where I think of Jeff Lynne more as a high baritone, I think of Wayne Coyne more as a low tenor... but after listening to 21st Century Man, I think he might indeed be a low tenor. or he has a very crisp mixed voice. either way, high baritone or low tenor, Jeff Lynne is an amazing vocalist! completely underrated imo...
dies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 am

Wow that post you just made gave me some hope that TRP might be a good site still...

YES! I say the same thing man.. On all of his early stuff he takes quite the baritone approach to his singing but on a lot of songs scattered throughout his discography (namely 21st Century Man, Need Her Love, Midnight Blue, Starlight, and Nellie Takes A Bow) His voice is so light and clean that low tenor just seems appropriate. 21st Century Man is pretty much the prime example of this. That is some of the most tenor sounding singing you'll ever hear hah.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dies on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 am

oh man, Nellie Takes Her Bow has some great passages, especially during the beginning of the chorus. his voice counterpointing the strings in the background is literally one of the greatest things I've ever heard him sing.
dies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:20 am

He sounds very different there heheh
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Here is another post

Post  Lars Gordonhauser on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:21 am

Still a good singer.

Lars Gordonhauser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dies on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:28 am

dunno if you've heard this or not, but a friend recently just sent this to me. this is the version of the song he re-recorded last year.

at 64 years old, this sounds simply phenomenal!
dies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lars Gordonhauser on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:21 am

This new version sucks shit. Everything except the vocal is void of life. The lush vibrant sound of a real band and orchestra has been replaced with a cold horrid copy made with synthesizers and "production magic". It seems as if Jeff is more occupied with the sounds being synchronized correctly rather than evoking any kind of feeling. There is no nuance, no organic quality to the instrumental performances. I hate this shit.

His other recent project "Long Wave" is far superior, in its every aspect.

Lars Gordonhauser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:22 am

Look Gordonhauser I think you are judging it a bit harshly. It does not sound so bad to me... it actually sounds quite good especially considering he just sang that last year. It is not void of life to me. (and I really dislike emotionless music so I understand what you mean) It's not as good as the original but it's definitely a great version.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lars Gordonhauser on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 am

Its all too synchronized down to the last quantisize. It sounds more modern than it used to, a little bit more clean, but void of humanity. Great vocal though, he has somehow kept most of the quality in his voice, unlike many others. To me, he sounds like a high baritone though. He can thin out his voice and make it really tenorish, but as soon as he puts some gut into it, his voice just go BOOOOOOOM with rich dark baritone resonance. It's not just age, like his voice growing darker over the years. His voice has sounded pretty much the same ever since "The Idle Race".
Lars Gordonhauser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 am

Yea I agree baritone is probably more appropriate, although he does do a perfect tenor impression. When I think about it though I am the exact same way just without as good of a voice. I am just gonna take the voice type off my thread because it's irrelevant anyway.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Foo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Foo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oh I see well you should check out the whole concert i posted earlier in this thread

Post  Lars Gordonhauser on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:09 am

Beautiful falsetto. He pays a lot of attention to details when he sings, with vibrato and subtle wailing. He is in perfect control of his voice.
Lars Gordonhauser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Foo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Lars Gordonhauser wrote:Beautiful falsetto. He pays a lot of attention to details when he sings, with vibrato and subtle wailing. He is in perfect control of his voice.

Agreed
Foo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top