Jeff Lynne

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jeff Lynne

Post  Young Heroins on Thu May 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Note: Please go here for the current version of this thread.

Voice Type: Baritenor
Vocal Range: C2-F♯5

Significant High Notes:                  

• F♯5 ("Rockaria!", "Summer and Lightning")
  • E5 ("Twilight", "Telephone Line")
  • D5 ("From the End of the World", "Jungle", "Rockaria!", "Summer and Lightning")
  • C5 ("Across the Border", "Big Wheels", "Evil Woman""Livin' Thing""Night in the City""Nellie Takes Her Bow", "The Lights Go Down")
  • B4 ("Summer and Lightning", "Shangri-La", "Wild West Hero")
  • B♭4 ("Above The Clouds", "The Way Life's Meant to Be", "California" Man")
  • A4  ("Do Ya", "Don't Bring Me Down", "Eldorado", "In My Own Time", "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle", "Mission (A World Record)", "Night in the City", "Rain Is Falling", "Shangri-La", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "Telephone Line", "The Lights Go Down", "Ticket to the Moon", "Turn to Stone", "Yours Truly, 2095")
  • G♯4 ("Big Wheels", "Birmingham Blues", "Do Ya", "Endless Lies", "Momma", "Nellie Takes Her Bow", "Running Scared, "So Fine")
  • G4 ("10538 Overture", "21st Century Man", "Hold on Tight", "Nellie Takes Her Bow", "Summer And Lightning", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "The Way Life's Meant to Be", "Twilight", "Wild West Hero")
  • F♯4 ("Mission (A World Record)", "Mr. Radio", "Rockaria!", "Shangri-La")
  • F4 ("From the End of the World", "It's Over", "Jungle", "Mr. Blue Sky", "Nellie Takes Her Bow", "Starlight", "Ticket to the Moon")
  • E4 ("Here is the News", "Night in the City", "Standin' in the Rain", "Steppin' Out", "Sweet is the Night", "Yours Truly, 2095")

Significant Low Notes:

• D3 ("Do Ya", "Steppin' Out")
  • C3 ("Another Heart Breaks")
  • A2 ("It's Over", "Jungle", "Mission (A World Record)", "Moment In Paradise", "Sweet Talkin' Woman")
  • G2 ("Night in the City")
  • F♯2 ("Turn To Stone")
  • E2 ("Sweet Talkin' Woman")
  • D2 ("Mr. Blue Sky")
  • C♯2 ("Jungle")
  • C2 ("It's Over")

..............................................................................................................
*Blue marks quieter, less projected tones

Jeff Lynne is an absolute beast who nonchalantly boasts so many platinum records (that he has written and produced) he could fill a pool with them for a midnight swim.  His voice was strong from the get go in his first efforts as an artist with The Idle Race and The Move.  He commands a massive dynamic range of three and a half octaves and can go everywhere from a gritty baritone shout to a feather light Lennon-esque tenor.  

Last edited by Pre-Kepp Heroins on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:58 am; edited 34 times in total
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jeff Lynne

Post  Young Heroins on Thu May 02, 2013 2:04 pm

All note watching is from Time and Out of the Blue so far.

Last edited by The Great Heroins on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Any advice as to what needs to be added?

Last edited by The Great Heroins on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Actually, now that I look this thread is a hell of a lot more correct than that one. I am a huge ELO fan! I know his voice like I know my own *!#$. Also, that thread counts low notes that aren't even sung by Jeff Lynne! No disrespect to connor at all! He only moved the thread.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Need some help admins, please let me know what to do about there being two Jeff Lynne threads as I did not see the latter one before making mine.

Last edited by The Great Heroins on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Sounds better to keep your thread and replace the old one keeping whatever good stuff is in it that aint in yours, I'ma ask Abcakl if he knows any good notes for Jeff because he's also really into ELO
Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Leonard_Cohen wrote:Sounds better to keep your thread and replace the old one keeping whatever good stuff is in it that aint in yours, I'ma ask Abcakl if he knows any good notes for Jeff because he's also really into ELO

Well I didn't want to just say "yeah sounds like we need to delete the other thread and use mine kthnks." because it seemed a bit rude. Abacus is an ELO fan? Very Happy perfect... he will understand. I don't know what's good in that other thread because a lot of the lows are mis-watched. I know a lot of the space effected low vocals were counted in the other thread but thats really iffy because there are other singers in Electric Light Orchestra besides Jeff. I only counted notes that I knew 100% positive were Jeff's voice just so I wasn't giving false information (Im a perfectionist with this shit, very OCD.) There are many of low and high notes I could have added if I was just assuming everything I heard was Jeff. I feel like I know his voice pretty well though so we'll see.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonard_Cohen on Thu May 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Abcakl is a former member and irl friend of mine, unfortunately his name reads as Abacus written by a dyslectic Drunk

Also If you put down time and effort into this it'd also be a disrespectful not to use that effort, imo just merge the threads and remove the stuff that isnt sung by Lynne.

Leonard_Cohen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Thu May 02, 2013 11:30 pm

hahah I thought you were just writing abacus fucked up hahhaha my bad. Yes I suppose that is true.. I honestly did spend a lot of time on this. It's been awhile since i've made a thread and i've only made two so far so I thought it was about time I did something for the site. You can imagine how I felt when I saw that the thread was already made. Luckily, I have way more information on my own thread and it just looks better imo hahahaha (just being a dick)
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Fri May 03, 2013 12:03 am

Timi appeared to me in a vision and commanded me to inform you how much this thread sucks the big one

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 am

he also began giving me a blowjob while he mentioned that youre missing an octave of lows

C2 ("It's Over")
C?2 ("Jungle")
D2 ("Mr. Blue Sky")
E2 ("Sweet Talkin' Woman")
F?2 ("Turn To Stone")
G2 ("Night in the City")
A2 ("Jungle", "Moment In Paradise", "Sweet Talkin' Woman")

Off the top of his head(my head too Wink )

hee's also an HB. Kisses

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 12:13 am

ElizaBread 2.0 wrote:he also began giving me a blowjob while he mentioned that youre missing an octave of lows

C2 ("It's Over")
C?2 ("Jungle")
D2 ("Mr. Blue Sky")
F?2 ("Turn To Stone")
G2 ("Night in the City")
A2 ("Jungle", "Moment In Paradise", "Sweet Talkin' Woman")

Off the top of his head(my head too Wink )

hee's also an HB. Kisses

Could you please link me to the C2 in "It's Over" and the D2 in "Mr. Blue Sky"? Also, I really don't see him as a high baritone. His singing is often times way more tenorish than it is baritone. All you need to do is hear 21st Century Man and you can figure out he's at least a low tenor. (That is not the only example by a long shot either) However, if I hear some other worthy note watchers who actually know his voice say he is a high baritone i'll compromise just for the sake of not arguing. In the end it really doesn't matter much to me. If the majority want to see him as a high baritone than that's fine with me. (but he is a tenor to me :p)

edit: MY ASS it sucks I spent half an afternoon working on this damn thing the only difference between this thread and any other thread on this site is some notes missing from the low end. Everything else is formatted correctly above and BEYOND. So be nice to me Durrr
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ht8JDbWUM1E#t=97s

heres som lows, we think hes a bari but you can think hes a tenor no one really currs

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 12:23 am

ElizaBread 2.0 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ht8JDbWUM1E#t=97s

heres som lows, we think hes a bari but you can think hes a tenor no one really currs

I know no one really cares, that's why I don't want to argue the matter. I would, however, like to talk to someone else who knows his voice well so I can get someones else's opinion. The lows you linked to me i've already heard and as I mentioned before I really don't want to include those notes because (as I said) there are other singers in ELO and I really don't want to link Jeff Lynne as singing D2s when the voice is unrecognizable and i've never heard any other lows by him to go off of.

edit: I'm sorry i'm being so meticulous about this so before you or anyone else says it let me clarify. Yes, I am a no life loser who loves to take music way more seriously than it should and make things like note watching a white guy with an afro way more important than they actually are to anyone else....who is not a fucking crazy boy. Dance
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Fri May 03, 2013 12:27 am

Mad Rhymez Fairy: Jeff Lynne does all the vox on everything until Kelly Groucett joined
iirc

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 12:31 am

ElizaBread 2.0 wrote:Mad Rhymez Fairy: Jeff Lynne does all the vox on everything until Kelly Groucett joined
iirc

If that is true that is really, really helpful. I have a lot of notes to add. If you could please confirm that for me that would be awesome because I have heard a shit ton of really low notes but I can't recognize them as Jeff and I want to be sure about the notes I add.

Thank you lizabread!!
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 am

i'm not sure fact check yourself on wikipedia or something.

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 am

ElizaBread 2.0 wrote:i'm not sure fact check yourself on wikipedia or something.

i've been trying to fuckin a.. I really hope I can find something that says that somewhere because that would really take a lot of speculation out of my note watching these ELO albums..
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buh-Red on Fri May 03, 2013 12:42 am

Mad Rhymez Fairy:

oh Kelly Groucett started doing backing vox on
Face the Music (mm)
but
he has a really high vois
so always did operatic high harmonies

Mad Rhymez Fairy:

the Don't Bring Me Down A5 is
a harmony that I think is Kelly though

Buh-Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 am

ElizaBread 2.0 wrote:Mad Rhymez Fairy:

oh Kelly Groucett started doing backing vox on
Face the Music (mm)
but
he has a really high vois
so always did operatic high harmonies

Mad Rhymez Fairy:

the Don't Bring Me Down A5 is
a harmony that I think is Kelly though

I'm still researching myself to make sure but thanks a lot for the help because this definitely is life changing. ...maybe people will know about those low notes after all Wasn\'t Me
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Fri May 03, 2013 4:59 am

ElizaBread 2.0 wrote:Mad Rhymez Fairy: Jeff Lynne does all the vox on everything until Kelly Groucett joined
iirc

Kelly Groucett In Love
What an tenor. Nice A2-A5.
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 8:36 am

KeithMoonIsGod wrote:
iirc

Kelly Groucett In Love
What an tenor. Nice A2-A5.

That is a beautiful range. I've heard is voice on "Sweet is the Night" he sounds like a mixture of Robin Gibb and Paul McCartney. (On that song at least)
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Btw:
http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t521-jeff-lynne
I'm gonna merge the two together...
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Good idea, we'll figure something out soon. No sense of having two of the same threads though.

edit: reading back on my thread it is good looking for sure but I laughed a bit when I read the first line of my description talking about how I was so dissapointed there was no jeff lynne thread hahah. I promise I scroll through those pages all the time when I get bored. I just like to check to see if there are any singers I know that i'd be interested in learning about a bit. I have thumbed all the way to the last pages and I just never remember Jeff Lynne. I'm just a fool haha.
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Heroins on Fri May 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Status: Ready for Review (But I am still adding extra notes)

Voice type: Low Tenor
Sung range: A2 - E5

Significant high notes:

E5 ("Twilight")
D5 ("From the End of the World", "Jungle", "Summer and Lightning")
C5 ("The Lights Go Down", "Across the Border", "Night in the City", "Big Wheels", "Mr. Blue Sky")
B4 ("Summer and Lightning", "Wild West Hero")
B♭4 ("The Way Life's Meant to Be", "California" Man")
A4 ("Yours Truly, 2095","Ticket to the Moon", "Rain is Falling","Ma-Ma-Ma Belle", "In my own time", "Eldorado", "The Lights Go Down", "Turn to Stone", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "Night in the City", "Don't Bring Me Down")
G♯4 ("Big Wheels", "Birmingham Blues", "Running scared, "Do Ya", "Endless Lies", "Momma")
G4 ("Twilight", "The Way Life's Meant to Be", "21st Century Man", "Hold on Tight", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "Summer And Lightning", "Wild West Hero", "10538 Overture")
F4 ("Ticket to the Moon", "From the End of the World", "It's Over", "Starlight", "Jungle", "Summer and Lightning, "Mr. Blue Sky")
E4 ("Yours Truly, 2095", "Here is the News", "Night in the City", "Steppin' Out", "Standin' in the Rain", "Sweet is the Night")

Significant low notes:

D3 ("Steppin' Out")
C3 ("Another Heart Breaks")
A2 ("Jungle", "Moment In Paradise", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "It's Over")
G2 ("Night in the City")
F♯2 ("Turn To Stone")
D2 ("Mr. Blue Sky")
C♯2 ("Jungle")
C2 ("It's Over")

..............................................................................................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Well.... I realized I haven't been contributing much to The Range Place TM lately so here is a new thread!

Alright, now, let's actually talk about his voice. Honestly, I had a lot of trouble figuring out what his voice type was. Nowadays he sings live like a high baritone but i'm judging his voice from his overall sound his whole career. He has moments where he sings incredibly baritonish highs (think wild west hero) and then he has moments where he hits the same note in an incredibly light tenor that would make Sgt. Pepper John Lennon look like Barry White. He is well known for his Beatle-esque tenor voice and often times sounds a HELL of a lot like George Harrison. One thing that particularly draws me to his music his profound ability to layer his own voice to create wonderfully structured harmony. You often hear this very ability in songs like "Turn to Stone", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", and "Don't Bring Me Down."
As the lead songwriter and producer of Electric Light Orchestra he is needless to say an extremely talented musician. As a singer, he is just as talented. His ability for singing clear and light Beatles-esque tenor has given him more than enough means to create an array of wonderful music. I am actually proud to have made this thread. The video I have linked here showcases his tenor singing. I would call him a mid tenor if it wasn't for the majority of his songs being heavier timbered singing.

I

Here is another fantastic example of his singing. At this point in the process of this thread I would like to say I could call him a high baritone. It's really weird to hear him sing because he really does have many different styles. I think this whole album "Discovery" in a whole is sung rather heavier I suppose. I think back to "Time" where he is gliding on all the fourth octave with ease. Maybe he was matching his voice to George Harrison's as he got older and his voice deepened as well?

...or perhaps Jeff Lynne was in love with George Harrison and he always chose to sing like him... notice this song linked above.. a love song sung surprisingly alike to George Harrison's voice. Now whats this... at 1:30 in the video is that a shot of George Harrison as a Beatle playing guitar? Right after he sings "Loving you, i'm feeling midnight blue." Strange....

Top Albums Featuring Jeff Lynne
1. Out of the Blue
2. Time
3. Discovery
4. A New World Record
5. Eldorado

Last edited by The Great Heroins on Sun May 05, 2013 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Young Heroins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top