Ian Gillan

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:24 am

Voice type:
Baritone
Vocal range: C♯2-D6

Significant high notes:

• D6 ("Roller" live)
  • C♯6 ("Smoke on the Water" live)
  • C6 ("What's the Buzz/Strange Thing Mystifying", "Zero the Hero" live)
  • B5 ("Fighting Man", "Fireball", "Rat Bat Blue", "Strange Kind of Woman" live)
  • B♭5 ("Demon's Eye", "Speed King")
  • A5 ("Abbey of Thelema", "Born Again", "Child in Time", "Disturbing the Priest", "Fool's Mate", "Night and Day", "No More Cane on the Brazos" live, "Poor Boy Hero", "Space Truckin'", "Strange Kind of Woman" live, "Trashed", "Zero the Hero" live)
  • G♯5 ("Black Sabbath" live, "Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say)", "Hot Line")
  • G5 ("Bloodsucker", "Born Again", "Demon's Eye", "Hallelujah", "Hard Lovin' Man", "Highway Star", "Hot Line", "House of Pain", "Lazy", "Night and Day", "Speed King", "The Temple", "Woman From Tokyo")
  • F♯5 ("Don't Want The Truth", "Fireball", "Fool's Mate", "Place in Line", "Poor Boy Hero",  "Strange Kind of Woman" live, "The Purpendicular Waltz" live, "Vavoom: Ted the Mechanic", "You Make Me Feel So Good" 1972 demo)
  • F5 ("Children of the Grave" live, "Disturbing the Priest", "Heaven and Hell" live, "Hot Line", "Hush" live, "Men of War", "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming", "Vincent Price", "You Make Me Feel So Good")
  • E5 ("A Castle Full of Rascals", "Child in Time", "Don't Want The Truth", "Fool's Mate", "Hard Lovin' Man", "Highway Star", "Men of War", "Mr. Universe", "New Orleans", "No No No")
  • E♭5 ("Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming")
  • D5 ("Disturbing the Priest", "Hungry Daze", "Scarabus", "The Temple/Lepers", "Vincent Price")
  • C♯5 ("Don't Want The Truth", "Speed King", "You Make Me Feel So Good" 1972 demo)
  • C5 ("Child in Time", "For Your Dreams", "Hush" live, "If I Sing Softly", "Living Wreck", "Telephone Box", "Trashed", "Under the Gun", "You Led My Heart Astray", "You Make Me Feel So Good")
  • B4 ("Are You Sure?", "Bad Attitude", "Can't Believe You Wanna Leave", "Dead or Alive", "Future Shock", "Into the Fire", "Knocking at Your Back Door", "Living Wreck", "Mr. Universe", "New Orleans", "Not Responsible", "Pictures of Home", "Picture of Innocence", "Razzle Dazzle", "Smooth Dancer", "Soon Forgotten", "Strange Kind of Woman",  "Trying to Get to You", "Vavoom: Ted the Mechanic", "Wasted Sunsets")
  • B♭4 ("A Gypsy's Kiss", "Born Again", "Call of the Wild", "Demon's Eye", "Hell to Pay", "Hungry Daze", "Smoke on the Water", "Woman from Tokyo")

Significant low notes:

• C♯2 ("Bloodsucker" live in Karlshamn 1996)
  • D2 ("Better Days", "Blood from a Stone", "No More Cane on the Brazos")
  • F2 ("Blood from a Stone")
  • F♯2 ("The Purpendicular Waltz", "Walk On")
  • G2 ("Better Days", "Blood From A Stone", "It'll Be Me", "Mary Long" live, "No Worries", "Out of Hand", "Rosa's Cantina")
  • A2 ("All the Time in the World", "Bird Has Flown", "Lonely Avenue", "Out of Hand", "Place in Line", "Poor Jerusalem", "Soon Forgotten", "Walk On", "Weirdistan")
  • B♭2 ("Loosen My Strings", "The Last Supper")
  • B2 ("All the Time in the World", "Donkey Ride Dream", "Razzle Dazzle", "Soon Forgotten", "The Temple", "Walk On", "When A Blind Man Cries" live)

*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Back to top Go down

Re: Ian Gillan

Post  South Korean Guru Monk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:26 pm

I thought that by the standards of TRP he was going to be classified here as a low tenor but yeah i totally agree about HB.
I was just listening to gethsemane and he fucking rips that G5 away holy shit amazing even knowing it is falsetto who cares, sounds so powerfull, never heard of this guy before, lol, i'm going to take a serious closer look into Jesuschrist Superstar, the nigger one is also great.

South Korean Guru Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:52 pm

DonutsGalacticos wrote:even knowing it is falsetto who cares

You make it sound like falsetto is less 'true' than full voice. Popcorn

Anyway, yes, give JCS a shot. It features some incredible singing, and the newer versions are EVEN BETTER!

Back to top Go down

Post  South Korean Guru Monk on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 pm

lol, i'm realising now that he is the singer of deep purple

South Korean Guru Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B6 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Suspect

B6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 pm

I don't even

Rodney Razorshorts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cro on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:48 pm

B6 wrote: Suspect

Cro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  South Korean Guru Monk on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:56 pm

lol the same feeling i got when i first saw that one by one video by foo fighters and thought: that guy remembers me of that nirvana drummer on you know you are right video and then i saw that queens of the stone age video, and said: omg this guy again, all of that was in the first year i started listening to rock music so i was pretty shocked Laughing

South Korean Guru Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Sherick wrote:I don't even

! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Wanderlust on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 am

Orange for the "Men Of War" E5s, really? They sound just like the rest of his falsetto screams to me. I can definitely pick out a few orange-sounding notes in that song, but they're all B4s or so. He's pretty clearly in falsetto by the time he gets to dem E5s.

Wanderlust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyramid Head on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55 am

Of course Ian is the best...he was what kept Ritchie there...when he left..Purple went to shit...David Coverdale...made it too popish...not a good thing...and Glen...an amazing bassist and singer...but purple...with him? No, Ian, John, and Ritchie are the true Deep Purple...

Pyramid Head

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:40 am

Coverdale made it amazing, imo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Whackooyzero on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Yeah it wasn't really poppy at all when Coverdale joined, don't know where you got that from. I suppose one could argue that Stormbringer and Come taste the Band in their funk/soul ways were more commercial approaches at the time they came out, but they would still hardly be considered poppy in a musical sense (though I know it is a slightly vague term).

Whackooyzero
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeezerButler on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm

What note does he hit at 1:40? 7:27?

GeezerButler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:29 pm

GeezerButler wrote:What note does he hit at 1:40? 7:27?

C5s

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top