Dappy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dappy

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:11 am



Voice type: Tenor
Sung range: E2-E♭5
Total range: C2-E♭5

Significant high notes:

E♭5 ("Rockstar")
D5 ("No Regrets", "Yin Yang")
C5 ("Good Intentions", "All or Nothing")
B4 ("Come with Me", "No Regrets", "Spaceship")
B♭4 ("Good Intentions", "Intro (Me)", "Number 1")
A4 ("Best Behaviour", "Come with Me", "Good Intentions", "Who's the Daddy?")

Significant low notes:

C2 ("Explode")
E2 ("Tarzan 2")
F2 ("No Regrets" acoustic live)
A2 ("Come With Me", "Yin Yang")
B♭2 ("Bring It Home", "Intro (Me)", "Morning Star")
B2 ("Strong Again", "Yin Yang")
C3 ("Good Intentions", "I Need You", "No Regrets")

.......................................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.


- Thread dedicated to Ray
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:32 am

Are you sure all of those highs are black? He is a great rapper and a decent singer, but you can hear his voice strain an awful lot, esp. on "Good Intentions". But you can hear it throughout his album.
On "Bring it Home" its really apparent in the first verse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjXeyeKZ8oU&t=0m14s
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:35 am

"He strains so it's probably not black"
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:04 pm

full voice wrote:"He strains so it's probably not black"

what I meant was, his voice breaks. So maybe some would be considered red or blue notes. Let's not forget he probably uses a shit ton of pitch correction either way.
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:22 pm

"His voice breaks in a song so his highs in another song are probably not black".

Judging anything by "faults" in studio recordings is retarded anyway. I hate saying it because it's so extremely obvious, but sometimes strain and cracking is INTENDED. Especially the latter. Using tasteful, intentional cracks is an art.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Have you actually listened to him? his voice is decent but when it gets super high it doesn't sound "tasteful" and doesn't sound like he has much control in the fifth octave.

Sorry, they're not extremely obvious I haven't been singing, let alone coming to this site for very long.
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:36 pm

full voice wrote:Judging anything by "faults" in studio recordings is retarded anyway. I hate saying it because it's so extremely obvious, but sometimes strain and cracking is INTENDED. Especially the latter. Using tasteful, intentional cracks is an art.

So much this. Not everyone's intending to clean up their vocals to sound as polished and 'perfect' as possible. That's what makes the vocal takes in music even more interesting. A great example remains this segment:



2:30-2:40

That brutal crack at the end only adds to the song, and I'm sure they kept it there just for that, that's what I would have done as well. It's not like all the "vocal fails" found in the studio takes of artists' discographies have been forgotten there, and that they now regret leaving such abominations in place. No, that's fallacy. Many artists love to leave some of their small mistakes on records to give them a natural live performance-like feel. Chili Peppers regularly do this with instrument takes.
avatar
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

Posts : 2191
Join date : 2013-09-04
Location : IRL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 pm

tbh I don't even think that was a mistake that they kept. I think it sounds like he intended to crack.

Nirvana is another example.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:55 pm

elijt wrote:Have you actually listened to him? his voice is decent but when it gets super high it doesn't sound "tasteful"
That's an opinion.

elijt wrote:and doesn't sound like he has much control in the fifth octave.
Neither do I, but I can still hit a black D5.

elijt wrote:
Sorry, they're not extremely obvious I haven't been singing, let alone coming to this site for very long.
It has nothing to do with being a singer, and specially not aything to do with being on this site. It should just be obvious to anyone who has listened to music that intentional cracks are very popular. And not just extreme cracks like the one Timi posted, but millisecond cracks that then return to the original note.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Buh-Red on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Popcorn 

Buh-Red

Posts : 3840
Join date : 2013-01-22
Location : Bannock-ham Palace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBABe0g24IM&t=3m10s Like here. And I assure you that Matt has good control over notes in that range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVhjJnZC_ug&t=2m24s or this one, which is one of my favourites.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Oh shit forgot about this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixsqx-_t-xA&t=1m19s <333
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:03 pm

full voice wrote:
elijt wrote:
Sorry, they're not extremely obvious I haven't been singing, let alone coming to this site for very long.
It has nothing to do with being a singer, and specially not aything to do with being on this site. It should just be obvious to anyone who has listened to music that intentional cracks are very popular. And not just extreme cracks like the one Timi posted, but millisecond cracks that then return to the original note.
Intentional cracks are popular, but I don't think he does it intentionally. Overall though a great rapper, just not quite as good a singer.
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:05 pm

full voice wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVhjJnZC_ug&t=2m24s or this one, which is one of my favourites.
Nice! Very Happy 
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:10 pm

But if we stop discussing irrelevant notes and actually discuss the notes in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoImizvsj5w&t=2m48s

That D5 doesn't sound overly autotuned or uncontrolled to me.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:28 pm

full voice wrote:That D5 doesn't sound overly autotuned or uncontrolled to me.
That one sounds aight, but it might just be because of the choir in the background.
I was thinking more of Good Intentions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWGfttxt4fI , where his voice seems to alternate between being really breathy and forced; at 0:33 "cause there's a man overboard" onwards. Again, the backing vox make it harder to tell.
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXad0PR5vzE

Can't really recreate his studio voice live...
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:43 pm

elijt wrote:
That one sounds aight, but it might just be because of the choir in the background.
I was thinking more of Good Intentions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWGfttxt4fI , where his voice seems to alternate between being really breathy and forced; at 0:33 "cause there's a man overboard" onwards. Again, the backing vox make it harder to tell.
Are we listening to the same thing? There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. Actually it sounds good. And aside from the obvious falsetto notes, it's all black.

elijt wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXad0PR5vzE

Can't really recreate his studio voice live...
Proving what?
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  jaytee on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:21 pm

full voice wrote:
Proving what?

Proving what I was saying, it's likely he uses a shit ton of autotune.  Durrr
A savvy producer can make it sound like it's not even there.

Maybe the higher part of his range just grates on my ears  Laughing
avatar
jaytee

Posts : 198
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Karl on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:47 pm

elijt wrote:Proving what I was saying, it's likely he uses a shit ton of autotune.  Durrr

You can't know this for sure.

Karl
Range Advisor

Posts : 2077
Join date : 2013-07-26
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:07 pm

elijt wrote:
full voice wrote:
Proving what?

Proving what I was saying, it's likely he uses a shit ton of autotune.  Durrr
A savvy producer can make it sound like it's not even there.

Maybe the higher part of his range just grates on my ears  Laughing
Jesus Christ that logic is awful.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dappy

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum