Peter Criss

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peter Criss

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:53 am



Voice type: Tenor
Sung range: B2-C♯5
Total range: B2-G5

Significant high notes:

G5 ("Nothin' to Lose")
F♯5 ("Nothin' to Lose")
C♯5 ("Getaway", "Strange Ways", "Baby Driver")
C5 ("Nothin' to Lose", "Dirty Livin'")
B4 ("Black Diamond", "Hooligan", "Baby Driver", "Beth" live at MTV Unplugged 1995)
B♭4 ("Nothin' to Lose", "Mainline", "Dirty Livin'")
A4 ("Kissin' Time")
G♯4 ("Hard Luck Woman", "Beth" live at MTV Unplugged 1995)

Significant low notes:

B2 ("I Finally Found My Way", "Beth" live at MTV Unplugged 1995)
D3 ("I Finally Found My Way")
E♭3 ("Nothin' to Lose")

.......................................................
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.


My research of the various members of KISS as vocalists continues...

Criss has a very raspy, worn-out tenor voice with some necessary character to it. His timbre is quite dark (especially on "Nothin' to Lose"), but his tessitura definitely is that of a tenor.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Dessy Jr on Tue May 05, 2015 4:30 am

I think, he's closer to high baritone. Not because of his strong and even rude vocal style. He sounds like a really good high baritone, maybe baritenor. But not a complete tenor anyway, mate.
avatar
Dessy Jr

Posts : 38
Join date : 2015-01-17
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Dessy Jr on Tue May 05, 2015 4:38 am

Every good baritone can hit strong B♭4 and even C5. It's just a question of his experience.
avatar
Dessy Jr

Posts : 38
Join date : 2015-01-17
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Hopscotch on Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am

I might be able to get on board with him being a baritenor. Whatever he is, he's definitely another weird case of vocal weight not matching tessitura though, much like Paul Stanley.

Dessy Jr wrote:Every good baritone can hit strong B♭4 and even C5. It's just a question of his experience.
This, however, is just fallacy.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6789
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Dessy Jr on Tue May 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Dessy Jr wrote:Every good baritone can hit strong B♭4 and even C5. It's just a question of his experience.
Wanderlust wrote:This, however, is just fallacy.

D'u think7 It's not a fallacy, mate. There are examples: Morten Harket, Bono, Mike Patton, Damon Albarn, David Lee Roth, David Coverdale, Gene Simmons, Edward Krakow, Roger Daltrey, Liam Gallagher, Joe Cocker, and more. If we're talkin about not very low baritone (like Leonard Cohen),  B♭4 and even C5 is not a big problem to hit them strongly. Technique and experience. Whistle
avatar
Dessy Jr

Posts : 38
Join date : 2015-01-17
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Prometheus on Tue May 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Those examples you've shown does not make every baritone able to hit C5s
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 21
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Private Perineum on Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 am

There are generally better examples; besides, Bono's closer to a tenor... Not to mention that the majority of the names able to are either technically skilled or naturally gifted singers.
avatar
Private Perineum

Posts : 717
Join date : 2015-03-14

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Wed May 06, 2015 4:32 am

This all doesn't really matter due to the fact that Criss sucks Smile
avatar
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

Posts : 1292
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Holsety on Wed May 06, 2015 4:33 am

Voice types do not equate with certain pitches at all. That is not how singing works. You know voice types are made up terms to describe different people's voices? Also keep in mind all people's voices are different. With this in mind, please reevaluate your opinion and come back when you make any sense at all.
avatar
Holsety
Admin

Posts : 3049
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 21
Location : Lake Isle of Innisfree

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Hopscotch on Wed May 06, 2015 7:26 am

Dessy Jr wrote:
Dessy Jr wrote:Every good baritone can hit strong B♭4 and even C5. It's just a question of his experience.
Wanderlust wrote:This, however, is just fallacy.

D'u think7 It's not a fallacy, mate. There are examples: Morten Harket, Bono, Mike Patton, Damon Albarn, David Lee Roth, David Coverdale, Gene Simmons, Edward Krakow, Roger Daltrey, Liam Gallagher, Joe Cocker, and more. If we're talkin about not very low baritone (like Leonard Cohen),  B♭4 and even C5 is not a big problem to hit them strongly. Technique and experience. Whistle
So your argument is basically "every good baritone can hit strong B♭4s and C5s because I can name a bunch of examples of baritones who can"? I hate to break it to ya, but that's not quite how it works.

If you had said that a lot of baritones with good experience or training can hit those notes, that would be one thing. As you pointed out, there are a lot of experienced baritones who can do so, but that doesn't equate to to "every good baritone can hit them". But that's largely because how "good" a baritone is is a question of subjectivity, and not something that can be entirely quantified in a factual manner. Just look at Warrel Dane, for one. He can barely hit B♭4s and definitely can't hit strong C5s anymore, but does that automatically disqualify him from being a good baritone?

Do you see how flawed your argument is yet? Because if not, I can go on.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6789
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Wed May 06, 2015 7:30 am

Range doesn't equal voice type. It's a very very small part the deciding factor though.

It's mostly based on timbre/tone/vocal color, tessitura, and passaggio!
avatar
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 26
Location : Waterford, Michigan

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/Gregsynth?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Nick Drake on Wed May 06, 2015 7:38 am

Wanderlust wrote:
Dessy Jr wrote:
Dessy Jr wrote:Every good baritone can hit strong B♭4 and even C5. It's just a question of his experience.
Wanderlust wrote:This, however, is just fallacy.

D'u think7 It's not a fallacy, mate. There are examples: Morten Harket, Bono, Mike Patton, Damon Albarn, David Lee Roth, David Coverdale, Gene Simmons, Edward Krakow, Roger Daltrey, Liam Gallagher, Joe Cocker, and more. If we're talkin about not very low baritone (like Leonard Cohen),  B♭4 and even C5 is not a big problem to hit them strongly. Technique and experience. Whistle
So your argument is basically "every good baritone can hit strong B♭4s and C5s because I can name a bunch of examples of baritones who can"? I hate to break it to ya, but that's not quite how it works.

If you had said that a lot of baritones with good experience or training can hit those notes, that would be one thing. As you pointed out, there are a lot of experienced baritones who can do so, but that doesn't equate to to "every good baritone can hit them". But that's largely because how "good" a baritone is is a question of subjectivity, and not something that can be entirely quantified in a factual manner. Just look at Warrel Dane, for one. He can barely hit B♭4s and definitely can't hit strong C5s anymore, but does that automatically disqualify him from being a good baritone?

Do you see how flawed your argument is yet? Because if not, I can go on.
Not to mention that what makes Warrel and other baritones like Michael Gira, Mark Lanegan, Peter Steele so great is their low range and tone. Because a baritone is the middle of voice types of men, good low ranges should be held as high of an regard as high range. If we where to only judge on how good a baritone is by his high range, we would be disqualifying a SHIT ton of awesome singers.
avatar
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

Posts : 738
Join date : 2014-08-12
Location : In the Kübler-Ross Model

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Metalhead123 on Wed May 06, 2015 8:16 am

I scence a derailment
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 16
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peter Criss

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum