Michelle Phillips (The Mamas & the Papas)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  'S on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:06 am

Voice Type: Soubrette
Total Vocal Range: D3-C6
Sung Vocal Range: D3-G♯5

Significant High Notes:

C6: "Words Of Love (Live on the Ed Sullivan Show)"
B5: "Words Of Love"
G♯5: "Words Of Love"
G5: "For The Love Of Ivy", "Words Of Love"
F♯5: "For The Love Of Ivy"
F5: "My Girl"
E5: "Aces With You", "For The Love Of Ivy", "Free Advice", "I Saw Her Again Last Night", "My Girl", "No Dough/Honeymoon", "The 'In' Crowd", "Words Of Love"
E♭5: "Midnight Voyage", "No Salt On Her Tail",
D5: "Aces With You", "Aloha Louie", "Boys & Girls Together", "Dedicated To The One I Love", "Dream A Little Dream Of Me", "For The Love Of Ivy", "Gemini Child", "I Call Your Name", "I Saw Her Again Last Night", "Mansions", "Midnight Voyage", "My Girl", "String Man", "The 'In' Crowd", "You Baby"
C♯5: "Trashy Rumours", "Boys & Girls Together", "Did You Ever Want To Cry", "Do You Wanna Dance", "Free Advice", "Having His Way", "I Saw Her Again Last Night", "Look Through My Window", "Midnight Voyage", "No Dough/Honeymoon", "No Salt On Her Tail", "Straight Shooter", "There She Goes (Original Version)"
C5: "Aloha Louie", "Boys & Girls Together", "Dedicated To The One I Love", "Did You Ever Want To Cry", "Dream A Little Dream Of Me", "For The Love Of Ivy", "Gemini Child", "Go Where You Wanna Go", "Go Where You Wanna Go", "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man (New Journeyman)", "I Call Your Name", "Just One Look", "Lady Of Fantasy", "Let The Music Begin", "Look Through My Window", "Mansions", "Midnight Voyage", "Monday, Monday", "My Girl", "No Salt On Her Tail", "Once Was A Time I Thought", "Safe In My Garden", "Sing For Your Supper", "Snowqueen Of Texas", "Somebody Groovy", "The 'In' Crowd", "The Shoop Shoop Song", "String Man", "Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon)", "You Baby", "You Give Good Phone"
B4: "Aloha Louie", "Trashy Rumours", "Bound For Higher Ground (New Journeyman)", "Boys & Girls Together", "Champagne and Wine", "Creeque Alley", "Dedicated To The One I Love", "Do You Wanna Dance", "Dream A Little Dream Of Me", "Gemini Child", "Glad To Be Unhappy", "Go Where You Wanna Go", "I Call Your Name", "I Saw Her Again Last Night", "Mansions", "Meditation Mama", "Midnight Voyage", "Monday, Monday", "My Girl", "My Heart Stood Still", "No Dough/Honeymoon", "No Love Today", "Once Was A Time I Thought", "Safe In My Garden", "Sing For Your Supper", "Snowqueen Of Texas", "Strange Young Girls", "Twist & Shout", "Where's Mine?"

Significant Low Notes:

G3: "Aces With You", "Aching Kind", "Aloha Louie", "Baby As You Turn Away", "Champagne and Wine", "Dedicated To The One I Love", "I Wanna Be A Star", "Just One Look", "Lady Of Fantasy", "No Love Today", "Paid The Price", "String Man", "There She Goes", "You Give Good Phone"
F♯3: "No Love Today", "To The Right Somebody To Love"
F3: "Baby As You Turn Away", "No Love Today"
D3: "There She Goes"

Note: For Michelle's Victim Of Romance album, much of the (higher) harmonies were handled by singers Tricia Johns, Laura Creamer, Cherie English, Myrna Matthews, Maxine Willard and Cathy Ward, and not Michelle, so only that album's 'lead' vocals are credited here.
Italics mark non-sung notes e.g spoken, exclaimed or screamed.
Underlines mark notes found in background vocals.

Best known as the higher voiced 'Mama' of The Mamas & the Papas, Michelle Phillips used her delicate Soubrette to help soften the group's sound, and provide higher and brighter harmonies to their eclectic sonic signature. During that time her role seemed less prominent with mostly her middle and head voice being displayed, yet in the mid-late 70's Michelle signed with A&M Records to record some solo material, including some self-penned songs, and it was then that her 'belting' register and supple lower register were displayed. Songs such as 'No Love Today', 'Paid The Price', 'Baby As You Turn Away', 'Just One Look' and 'There She Goes' showcased said registers particularly well, which complete her (somewhat surprisingly) broad vocal range.

Last edited by 'S on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:06 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Added info)

'S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michelle Phillips (The Mamas & the Papas)

Post  Misukiy Lambertson on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:02 am

Only 9 posts and you've already done more then I have with 300.
Misukiy Lambertson

Location : Somewhere jerking myself off with my massive vocal range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  'S on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:06 am

Albino Slug wrote:Only 9 posts and you've already done more then I have with 300.

Thanks, really encouraging. Guess people like 60's & 70's female singers a whole lot Surprised My own editing helps get views also, I guess?!

'S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michelle Phillips (The Mamas & the Papas)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top