Toni Tennille (Captain & Tennille)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toni Tennille (Captain & Tennille)

Post  'S on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Voice Type: Contralto
Vocal Range: B2-G♯5

Significant High Notes:

G♯5: "Can't Stop Dancin' (Live)**"
G5: "I've Got The Music In Me (Live)**", "I've Got The Music In Me*", "Let's Visit Heaven Tonight", "Tee-time For Toni Skit*"
F♯5: "Victor/Victoria Audition Scene"
F5: "Can’t Stop Dancin'", "Can’t Stop Dancin' (Live)**", "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", "Let's Visit Heaven Tonight", "Sweet Georgia Brown (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)"
E5: "Dancing In The Street (Live)*", "Going Bananas", "Let's Visit Heaven Tonight", "Mr. Persuasion", "Natural Woman (Live 1975)", "Nature Boy", "Rehearsal for 'Dance' (Live)*", "Sweet Georgia Brown (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)"
E♭5: "Boogie Baby Christmas", "Easy Street", "Get Ready Teddy", "Hard Hearted Hannah (Live)", "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", "Sweet Georgia Brown (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "Tee-time For Toni Skit*"
D5: "Boy Crazy", "Can't Stop Dancin'", "Can't Stop Dancin' (Live)**", "Do It Again", "Easy Street", "Free", "Get Ready Teddy", "Going Bananas", "Hard Hearted Hannah (Live)", "He's Gone (Live)*", "Honeysuckle Rose", "Honeysuckle Rose (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", "I've Got The Music In Me (Live)**", "I've Got The Music In Me*", "Let's Do It", "Let The Good Times Roll (Live)**", "Love Hangover*", "Never Make Your Move Too Soon", "Song Of Joy", "Sweet Georgia Brown (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", ""Until You Come Back To Me (Thats What I'm Gonna Do) (Live)**", "You Never Done It Like That", "You Never Done It Like That (Live on the Captain and Tennille In New Orleans)", "You Never Done It Like That (Live on the Captain and Tennille Songbook)", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Live)**"
C♯5: "All Of Me", "Dancing In The Streets (Live)", "Do It Again", "Don't Call It Love", "Easy Evil", "Easy Street", "Going Bananas", "Happy Together (A Fantasy)", "Hard Hearted Hannah (Live)", "Heartbeat", "Heatwave (Live)*", "He's Gone (Live)*", "Honeysuckle Rose", "How High The Moon", "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", "Life Goes On (Live)*", "Mis Canciónes", "Mr. Persuasion", "Muskrat Love", "Superstition (Live)**", "The Good Songs", "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)", "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing*", "Your Good Thing (Is About To End)"
C5: "A Song For You (Live)**", "All About Toni and Daryl Playing Tennis On A Hot Sunday Afternoon Skit*", "All Of Me", "Ain't No Mountain High Enough (Live with Teddy Pengergrass)**", "Black Water", "But I Think It's A Dream", "Come In From The Rain", "Come In From The Rain (Live on the Tony Orlando Show)", "Come On A My House", "Denny's Such A Flirt", "Doctor Jazz (Live on Captain and Tennille In New Orleans), "Easy Street", "Es La Canción", "Going Bananas", "Hapiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe", "Hard Hearted Hannah (Live)", "Heartache Tonight (Live)", "Honeysuckle Rose", "Honeysuckle Rose (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)", "I Just Want To Celebrate*", "I Must Be In Love", "I Wanna Rock With You (Live)**", "I Write The Songs", "I've Got The Music In Me (Live)**", "Let's Do It (live 1989)", "Let's Do It", "Let's Visit Heaven Tonight", "Life Goes On (Live)*", "Love Hangover*", "Love Is Spreading Over The World", "Love Will Keep Us Together", "Love Will Keep Us Together (Live on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson)", "Love Will Survive", "Mind Your Love", "Natural Woman (Live 1975)", "Por Amor Viviremos", "Rescue Me (Live)*", "Ride Captain, Ride! Skit*", "Sad Eyes", "Save The Best For Last", "Superstition*", "Sweet Georgia Brown (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "They All Laughed, "Tee-time For Toni Skit*", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Live)**"
B4: "All About Toni and Daryl Playing Tennis On A Hot Sunday Afternoon Skit*", "Amame Una Vez Mas", "At Last (Live)", "Can't Help Lovin' That Man Of Mine (Live)**", "Can't Help Lovin' Than Man Of Mine (More Than You Know Solo Version)", "Denny's Such A Flirt", "Disney Girls", "Do That To Me One More Time", "Don't Forget Me", "Dream (1986 Version)", "Dulce Extraño", "Gimme Some Lovin'*", "Going Bananas", "Gentle Stranger", "Honesty (Live)**", "Honeysuckle Rose", "I Just Want To Celebrate*", "I Must Be In Love", "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", "Life Goes On (Live)*", "Lost In The Stars (Live)**", "Love Will Keep Us Together", "Love Will Keep Us Together (Live on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson)", "Mr. Persuasion", "Mi Mundo Irreal", "Moonglow", "Natural Woman (Live 1975)", "Please Mr. Postman (Live)*", "Por Amor Viviremos", "'Round Midnight (Live)**", "Rubberband Man*", "Shop Around", "Shop Around (Live on The Midnight Special)", "Silly Love Songs*", "Smile For Me One More Time", "Spring Is Here*", "Then I'll Be Tired Of You", "This Is Not The First Time", "We Never Really Say Goodbye", "Welcome Back*", "You Need A Woman Tonight"
B♭4: "1954 Boogie Blues", "Baby Come To Me", "Baby You Still Got It", "Behind Closed Doors (Live)**", "Boogie Baby Christmas", "Boy Crazy", "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (Live)*", "Broddy Bounce", "Can't Help Lovin' Than Man Of Mine (Captain and Tennille in New Orleans Version)", "Come In From The Rain", "Come To Me", "Denny's Such A Flirt", "Don't Let Love Go", "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me", "Easy Street", "Es La Canción", "El Robote De Broddy", "Free", "Gimme Some Lovin'*", "God Only Knows", "Gonna Fly Now (Live on the ABC 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration)", "Guess Who I Saw Today", "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas*", "Happiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe", "Honeysuckle Rose", "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)", "I Concentrate On You*", "I Just Want To Celebrate*", "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year", "I Wanna Rock With You (Live)**", "I Write The Songs", "Let It Shine*", "Let's Visit Heaven Tonight", "Los Sabe Dios", "Love Survives", "Midnight At The Oasis (Live)**", "Nobody Does It Better", "Oh Babe, What Would You Say?*", "'Round Midnight (Live)**", "Rubberband Man*", "Save The Best For Last", "Silly Love Songs (Live)*", "Smile For Me One More Time", "Superstar (Live)*", "Superstition*", "Sweet Georgia Brown (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "Tee-time For Toni Skit*", "The Star Spangled Banner (Live 1978 at ASG in San Diego)", "Torch Song Medley (Live on the Captain and Tennille Songbook)", "You Belong To Me (Live)**", "Your Song (Live)*", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Live)**"

Significant Low Notes:

F3: "All Of Me", "As Time Goes By (Live)**", "Baby Come To Me", "Baby You Still Got It", "Black Water", "Boogie Baby Christmas", "Circles", "Danny's
Song (Live)**", "Davey I Misbehave", "Day Dream", "Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me", "Feel Like A Man", "Feel Like A Man (Live on the Captain and Tennille Songbook)", "Guess Who I Saw Today", "Happier Than The Morning Sun", "Happiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe", "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas*", "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (2007 'The Secret Of Christmas Version)", "Honeysuckle Rose", "Honeysuckle Rose (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)", "I Concentrate On You*", "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good", "I Must Be In Love", "Just The Way You Are", "Lost In The Stars (Live)**", "Let Mama Know", "Let's Do It", "Love In The Shadows*", "Love Survives", "Meditation (Live)**, "More Than You Know", "Mr. Sandman*", "Never Make Your Move Too Soon", "Oh Babe, What Would You Say*", "Oh Holy Night*", "Our Love Is Hear To Stay", "Rubberband Man*", "Sad Eyes", "Saving Up For Christmas", "Sentir Señor", "September In The Rain (Live 'impromptu' on Win Lose Or Draw)", "Superstition*", "Sweet Georgia Brown (Live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "Tahoe Snow", "Thank You, Baby", "The Christmas Star", "The Secret Of Christmas", "The Very Thought Of You", "Torch Song Medley (Live on the Captain and Tennille Songbook)", "Unchained Melody", "We Never Really Say Goodbye (Live)*", "You Belong To Me (Live)**", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Live)**"
E3: "All About Toni and Daryl Playing Tennis On A Hot Sunday Afternoon*", "At Last (Live)", "As Time Goes By (Live)**", "Behind Closed Doors (Live)**", "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (Live)*", "Christmas In California", "Christmas In California (Live 1990)", "Come On A My House", "Day Dream", "Easy Evil", "Going Bananas", "Happy Together (A Fantasy)", "He's Gone (Live)*", "Honeysuckle Rose", "How High The Moon", "I Wanna Rock With You (Live)**", "Let's Visit Heaven Tonight", "Little Saint Nick*", "Love On A Shoestring", "More Than You Know", "Mr. Sandman*", "Muskrat Love", "Natural Woman (Live 1975)", "Nature Boy", "Our Love Is Here To Stay (Live for More Than You Know Album)", "Sad Eyes", "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town Variations", "Saving Up For Christmas", "Silent Night (2007 'The Secret Of Chrismas' version)", "Silly Love Songs*", "Then I'll Be Tired Of You", "Unchained Melody", "Unforgettable"
E♭3: "Back To The Island", "Behind Closed Doors (Live)**", "Boogie Baby Christmas", "Can't Help Lovin' That Man Of Mine", "Come To Me", "Day Dream", "Daryl Of The Bells", "Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me", "Don't Be Scared", "Happy Together (A Fantasy)", "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (2007 'The Secret Of Christmas Version)", "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good", "I Must Be In Love", "Keeping Our Love Warm", "Love Will Keep Us Together", "Mis Canciónes", "Nobody Does It Better", "Our Love Is Here To Stay", "Por Amor Viviremos", "'Round Midnight (Live)**", "Since I Fell For You", "Shop Around", "The Good Songs", "The Secret Of Christmas", "The Star Spangled Banner (Live 1978 at ASG in San Diego)", "The Very Thought Of You", "This Is Not The First Time", "Unforgettable", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Live)**", "You Need A Woman Tonight"
D3: "1954 Boogie Blues", "1954 Boogie Blues (Live)**", "All Of Me", "As Time Goes By (Live)**", "Black Water", "Deep In The Dark", "Good Enough (Live)**", "Honey Come Love Me", "Honey Come Love Me (Live on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson)", "Honeysuckle Rose", "How High The Moon", "Little Saint Nick*", "Love In The Shadows*", "Merry Christmas", "Mr. Sandman*", "No Te Levantes", "Sad Eyes", "Silent Night (2007 'The Secret Of Chrismas' version)", "The Secret Of Christmas", "Unchained Melody"
C♯3: "Muskrat Love (Live on Solid Gold Classic)"
C3: "Bad Boy Leroy Brown (Live)*", "Black Water", "Dixie Hummingbird", "Honeysuckle Rose", "Honeysuckle Rose (live on the Merv Griffin Show)", "Just The Way You Are", "Mind Your Love", "Mind Your Love (Live)**", "Mr. Sandman*", "September In The Rain (Live 'impromptu' on Win Lose Or Draw)", "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Live)**"
B2: "Easy Evil"

Note: Some harmonized/background 5th & 6th octave notes on Captain & Tennille albums are either of Toni's sisters Louisa or Melissa, where credited, and not Toni, so aren't included here.
Underlines mark notes found in (harmonised) background vocals
*= Notes sang on the Captain & Tennille Show from 1976-1977 or the Captain & Tennille Christmas Show for Christmas songs.
**=Notes sang on the Toni Tennille Show from 1980-1981.

Half of the then wife and husband duo 'Captain & Tennille', a common sight and sound for US people from the mid-70's to the 80's, due to their string of Top 10 hits (Love Will Keep Us Together, The Way I Want To Touch You, Lonely Night (Angel Face), Shop Around, Muskrat Love, You Never Done It Like That and Do That To Me One More Time), TV series, subsequent TV specials and million-selling albums, all of which centered around Toni's voice and songwriting, and her husband Daryl's producing and conducting of their trademark keyboard-based arrangements. Toni possesses a true contralto voice, with a soulful mid-register, robust 'belting' register, and sometimes androgynous, smoky lows, all sung with a rolling vibrato and southern drawl, which combine for an instantly recognisable voice. A vast back catalogue of music highlights Toni's floridity in her low register especially, with the aforementioned 'belting register' going up to E5, and the occasional live or solo use of her upper head voice (Normally her soprano sister Melissa catered for such highs) garnering Toni an impressively populated, wide vocal range.

Last edited by 'S on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:49 am; edited 19 times in total (Reason for editing : Date correction)

'S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Toni Tennille (Captain & Tennille)

Post  iamnothing on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:02 pm

HOLY FACKIN' GOD!!! 

How long have you been working on this thread???

Nice work, by the way Smile
iamnothing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for appreciating!

Post  'S on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:11 pm

'Bout 2 weeks on and off... Luckily I normally have a pen to hand when listening! Been a sort of cleanse all that 70s; incredibly carefree songs. Looks exhausting I know, yet I haven't grown tired of it! Shows a true fan there, I myself didn't know I enjoyed her work so much Blushing

'S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Misukiy Lambertson on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Nice thread!

One thing to change however is to change the A♭5 to G♯5.
Misukiy Lambertson

Location : Somewhere jerking myself off with my massive vocal range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:47 am

I'd include an asterix after common live versions so it's a bit easier to read. So you could have "I've Got The Music In Me"* for stuff on the Captain and Tennille Show, and maybe Can't Stop Dancing'"** for stuff Live on the Toni Tensile Show, and then add that into the key.
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good Idea

Post  'S on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:02 am

ChillShaman wrote:I'd include an asterix after common live versions so it's a bit easier to read. So you could have "I've Got The Music In Me"* for stuff on the Captain and Tennille Show, and maybe Can't Stop Dancing'"** for stuff Live on the Toni Tensile Show, and then add that into the key.

Yes, I considered that before, and I'll add that key to her sister's profiles also where needed... Really frees up space also Very Happy

Last edited by 'S on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected punctuation)

'S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top