View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gordon Gano

Post  Superfly on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:18 pm

Total Vocal Range: E2-F♯5
Total Melodic Range: G2 - F♯5
Vocal Type: Permanent Record Baritone

Significant High Notes:

F♯5 ("Children of the Revolution")
F5 ("Children of the Revolution", "Ugly")
E5 ("Children of the Revolution", ( "Ugly")
E♭5 ("Ugly")
D5 ("Please Do Not Go" live on 91X San Diego 2015, "To the Kill")
C5 ("Black Girls", "Please Do Not Go")
B4 ("Blister in the Sun" live at Buzz Beach Ball 2016)
B♭4 ("Blister in the Sun" live at Coachella 2013, "Never Tell")
A4 ("Blister in the Sun" live at Coachella 2013, "Hallowed Ground", "To the Kill")
G#4 ("Hallowed Ground")
G4 ("American Music", "Black Girls", "Hallowed Ground", "It's Gonna Rain","Kiss Off")
F♯4 ("Add it Up", "I Held Her in My Arms", "Never Tell")
F4 ("American Music", "Breaking Up", "Never Tell", "Ugly")
E4 ("American Music", "Black Girls", "Breaking Up", "Gimme the Car", "I Held Her in My Arms", "Jesus Walking on the Water", "Kiss Off", "Sweet Misery Blues")

Significant Low Notes:

A2 ("American Music", "Black Girls", "Breaking Up", "Confessions", "Gimme the Car", "Gone Daddy Gone", "I Hear the Rain", "I Held Her in My Arms", "It's Gonna Rain", "Never Tell", "Prove My Love", "To the Kill", "Used to Be")
G#2 ("Black Girls")
G2 ("American Music", "Blister in the Sun" live on The Dennis Miller Show 1992, "Confessions", "Kiss Off", "I Know It's True But I'm Sorry to Say", "It's Gonna Rain")
F♯2 ("Machine")
F2 ("Color Me Once")
E2 ("Machine")

Gordon Gano is the lead singer, principle songwriter, and guitarist of cult-darling folk punk trio Violent Femmes. The band (formed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the early 80s) is most well-known for their classic hit song "Blister in the Sun", where Gano stays almost exclusively in the third octave in the studio version.

His incredibly eclectic vocal stylings include:
- screaming at the top of his lungs.
- whispering intensely quiet.
- singing high notes with such nasal accentuation he ought to be the poster-boy for Mucinex.

Most of the songs on the band's eponymous debut album see Gano rarely traveling out of the third octave (save for bonus track "Ugly.")  The case is the same with many of the band's singles over the years. This tendency to stay within his comfort zone has aided him over the years, and he's still able to perform the majority of his songs the way they were originally written live. His incredibly unique timbre and style has become a staple of the band, and has influenced many indie rock and nerd rock singers alike over the years.

......................................................................................................
*Underlines mark notes in background vocals or otherwise low in the mix.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Italics marks non-melodic or spoken notes.
*Green marks shouted/screamed notes.

Last edited by Superfly on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:30 pm; edited 15 times in total
Superfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gordon Gano

Post  IhateMana on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Noice, didn't even cross my mind that this guy didn't have a thread.
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:Gordon Gano

Post  Superfly on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Need some second opinions!

Does anyone have any ideas on if these background "Woo!" sounding notes (at 9:10 & 9:15) on the song "Never Tell" are produced by Gano or by the guitar?

If they are produced by Gano, then they would be a G5 and C6, respectively. The highest notes I would've found so far in his discography.
Superfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Misukiy Lambertson on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Superfly wrote:Need some second opinions!

Does anyone have any ideas on if these background "Woo!" sounding notes (at 9:10 & 9:15) on the song "Never Tell" are produced by Gano or by the guitar?

If they are produced by Gano, then they would be a G5 and C6, respectively. The highest notes I would've found so far in his discography.

9:10 is definitely him, but I'm not sure it's a G5.

9:15 sounds a lot like a guitar.
Misukiy Lambertson

Location : Somewhere jerking myself off with my massive vocal range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top