Lemmy Kilmister

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Recorded vocal range:
F♯2-F♯5

Recorded high notes:
F♯5 ("Killed By Death")
F5 ("Claw", "Mean Machine")
E5 ("Motorhead '77")
E♭5 ("Die You Bastard!", "Ridin' With the Driver")
D5 ("Bad Religion", "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)", "Killed By Death")
C♯5 ("Asylum Choir", "Crazy Like a Fox", "Locomotive", "Love For Sale", "Love Me Like a Reptile" alternative long version, "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees", "Shut Your Mouth", "The Chase is Better than the Catch")
C5 ("Angel City", "Bad Religion", "Bad Woman", "Deaf Forever", "Desperate For You", "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)", "Jack the Ripper", "Killed By Death", "Make My Day", "Ridin' With the Driver")
B4 ("All Gone to Hell", "All the Aces", "Another Perfect Day", "Asylum Choir", "Bad Woman", "Born To Raise Hell", "Broken", "Cat Scratch Fever", "Claw", "Crazy Like a Fox", "Dead and Gone", "Dead Men Tell No Tales", "Death or Glory", "Desperate For You", "Dog Face Boy", "Hellraiser", "I'm So Bad (Baby I Don't Care)', "In Another Time", "Jack the Ripper", "Just 'Cos You Got the Power", "Kill the World", "Liar", "Lost in the Ozone", "Love For Sale", "Love Me Like a Reptile", "Mean Machine", "Murder Show", "Name in Vain", "Night Side", "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees", "Out to Lunch", "Overnight Sensation", "Ridin' With the Driver", "Rock It", "Sex & Death", "Shake the World", "Shine", "Shut You Down", "Take the Blame", "Talking Head", "Terminal Show", "The Devil", "The One to Sing the Blues", "We Bring The Shake", "(Wearing Your) Heart on Your Sleeve")
B♭4 ("Ain't My Crime", "All for You", "All the Aces", "Angel City", "Asylum Choir", "Back at the Funny Farm", "Bad Religion", "Better Off Dead", "Blackheart", "Bomber", "Broken", "Burner", "Built For Speed", "Cat Scratch Fever", "Civil War", "Cradle to the Grave", "Crazy Like a Fox", "Dancing on Your Grave", "Dead Men Tell No Tales", "Deaf Forever", "Death Machine", "Desperate For You", "Devils", "Devils in My Head", "Dogs", "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me", "Dr. Rock", "Eat the Gun", "Fire Fire" alternative outtake, "Going to Brazil", "Going to Mexico", "I Am the Sword", "I Don't Believe a Word", "I Know What You Need", "Jack the Ripper", "Life's a Bitch", "Listen to Your Heart", "Live to Win" BBC session, "Lost in the Ozone", "Love For Sale", "Make 'Em Blind", "Make My Day", "Mine All Mine", "Murder Show", "No Voices in the Sky", "Nothing Up My Sleeve", "One More Fucking Time", "Out of the Sun", "Ridin' With the Driver", "Rock 'n' Roll", "Sacrifice", "Shake the World", "Shut You Down", "Shut Your Mouth", "Silence When You Speak to Me", "Slow Dance", "Stagefright/Crash & Burn", "Stand", "Steal Your Face", "Stone Deaf in the USA", "Suicide", "Take the Blame", "Tales of Glory", "Talking Head", "Teach Them How to Bleed", "Tell Me Who to Kill", "The Chase is Better than the Catch", "The Devil", "The One to Sing the Blues", "The Wolf", "Thunder & Lightning", "Till the End", "Too Good To Be True", "Traitor", "Walk a Crooked Mile", "Wake the Dead", "Waiting for the Snake", "You Better Run")
A4 ("Civil War", "Dirty Love", "Fast and Loose", "Get Back in Line", "I Don't Believe a Word", "Iron Horse/Born to Lose", "Jailbait", "Joy of Labour", "Keep Us on the Road", "Kill the World", "Killed By Death", "On Parole", "Stagefright/Crash & Burn", "Stay Out of Jail", "Tell Me Who to Kill", "Terminal Show", "Voices from the War", "White Line Fever")

Recorded low notes:
E♭3 ("Brotherhood of Man", "Choking on Your Screams", "Claw", "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me", "Dust and Glass", "Evil Eye", "I Don't Believe a Word", "I'm the Doctor", "March ör Die", "Night Side", "One More Fucking Time", "Orgasmatron", "See Me Burning", "Wake the Dead")
D3 ("No Remorse")
C♯3 ("Dead and Gone", "Evil Eye", "I Don't Believe a Word", "Orgasmatron")
B2 ("Dead and Gone", "Killed by Death", "Whorehouse Blues")
A2 ("Grass")
G♯2 ("Nightmare/The Dreamtime", "Whorehouse Blues")
F♯2 ("Bad Religion", "Nightmare/The Dreamtime", "Traitor")

*Purple marks notes in a backing vocal.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

- Thread by Maxim

Last edited by T. on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:00 am; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Lemmy Kilmister

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 am

Most people probably wouldn't expect him to have enough range to cover the whole fourth octave, let alone enter the fifth octave...but gosh, what a weak low range.
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stoner on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:01 am

Easy Bb4's in the choruses: "Love me like a REP-tile"

Bb4's in the harmonies in the chourses, at the second "YOU KNOW ME"

Voilà Very Happy
Stoner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:59 am

I think the B♭4 harmonies on "Iron Fist" are Eddie Clarke. But Lemmy has tons of lead vocal notes at that pitch anyway, so it doesn't matter that much.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 am

I almost forgot how great "Born to Raise Hell" is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Great F5 at 3:53! Wow!!! Very Happy
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:05 pm

[flash(425,350)]
And there's still this one...turns out the notes I pitched years ago as G5s are actually F♯5s so there's that, but take a listen at 3:07 and 4:18. Sounds pretty similar to those "Claw" notes to me...

God this guy's voice is strange
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sam Gopal

Post  derpdederp91 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPieVkU5SAk

incredible singing by Lemmy with these guys, totally different style from his Motorhead stuff though

derpdederp91

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imneverdead on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Guys can you tell me in what octave lemmy sings ace of spades? His voice f***ing strange but i need to sing that song being a newbie to singing.

Edited: Thank you for answer =)

Last edited by imneverdead on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

imneverdead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepe Forever on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 am

imneverdead wrote:Guys can you tell me in what octave lemmy sings ace of spades? His voice f***ing strange but i need to sing that song being a newbie to singing.
It's all in the 4th octave. The verses ("if you like to gamble...") are F♯4s repeated over and over again with a short A4 on "me". The lowest notes are E♭4s
Pepe Forever
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:01 pm

So I gave "Killed By Death" another listen tonight and, well...

We already established that the G5s that I was counting this song for back in the day are actually F♯5s (4:18 being one example), but it turns out the lows (at 2:57) might not get down to G2 either. Sounds like it's mostly around B2 with some possible dips to A2, but I don't think there's anything below that. Sounds REALLY weird too...I mean aside from how uncharacteristic the tone is, it sounds like he's bordering on fry for some of those notes...and he's only singing in the upper second octave.

I swear, if it weren't for the "Whorehouse Blues" G♯2s, I'd be starting to think this guy actually has no lows whatsoever. Those are literally the only good ones that I'm completely sure of. As far as the spoken bits in "Claw" and "Serial Killer" go, I'm growing skeptical about whether those are actually second octave, because this guy's voice is so naturally gravelly that his entire third octave is darkened to the point of sounding a lot lower. I was listening to Kiss of Death in the car last week, and I remember stumbling across one song where it sounded like he was singing low notes, but a moment later he'd clearly be in the third octave with no audible octave jump...

But regardless, G♯2-F♯5 is still way more range than most people would expect out of him.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Some high notes in "Sweet Revenge", a F5 and a G5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjYOOvK8ELk#t=03m46s

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Yeah, I linked those a few posts up. I don't think they actually get up to G5, though. Sounds more like F5/F♯5.

Pretty weak notes too, for that matter...
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  derpdederp91 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:46 am

you guys should listen to his vocals on the stuff he did with the band Sam Gopal, you might find something noteworthy on the album

derpdederp91

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spydr on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 am

Likely only full of clean 4th octave notes kinda like his Hawkwind days. He never got too high with his singing before Motorhead.

Heard a lot of A2s in the track "Grass" and some G4s in there, I just kinda left in the back and hadn't finished it, if anyone wants to they can.

What happened to the low notes like "Serial Killer" and "Claw" even if growl.

Last edited by Spydr on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kewis on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:48 am

New Motörhead album is out guys!
Kewis
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spydr on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Add these lows to the OP.

Spydr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bradphone on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:03 am

Bb4! at 2:00
bradphone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Spydr wrote:

Likely only full of clean 4th octave notes kinda like his Hawkwind days. He never got too high with his singing before Motorhead.

Heard a lot of A2s in the track "Grass" and some G4s in there, I just kinda left in the back and hadn't finished it, if anyone wants to they can.

What happened to the low notes like "Serial Killer" and "Claw" even if growl.

Wow. Clearly a high tenor who completely killed his voice. I always wondered how he could hit those high notes with such a gravelly sound, but they must be really easy for him to hit.

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:03 pm

I don't hear anything "notably high" about his voice, it's just contrastingly clean as opposed to his very rough sound with Motörhead. Around 28:44, for example, he sings the F#4s nicely with a clean sound, but still has to raise his voice sort of to sing them. I hear quite a regular male voice, placement-wise. Based on his extremely weak lower register, however, I'd most likely classify him as a tenor.
R.I.P. Rapport Rapturer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Setzer on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:51 am

How can this guy even sing? I mean holy shit, he's part of the group of vocalists that will make any karaoke singer shit his pants (like Brian Johnson).
Setzer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeathBat on Mon May 18, 2015 4:28 pm

IS it weird that i hear his voice a full octave lower than what it actually is?
TheDeathBat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  King Creosote on Mon May 18, 2015 4:38 pm

TheDeathBat wrote:IS it weird that i hear his voice a full octave lower than what it actually is?

Yes.

IMHO including Lemmy as a "singer" is weird full stop.
King Creosote

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Setzer on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:10 pm

R.I.P.
Setzer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Metalhead123 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:47 pm

"You know I'm born to lose and gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it, baby
I don't wanna live forever" - Lemmy Kilmister

You are one of the most influential people in metal. You spearheaded the Speed Metal genre and helped set the groundworks for Thrash in the process. R.I.P Lemmy Kilmister.
Metalhead123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top