Nina Hagen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nina Hagen

Post  IhateMana on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:12 pm

Note: Please go here for the current version of this thread.

Voice type: Super Freak Mezzo-Soprano (1978 - 1996) / Female Bass-Baritone (2000 - present)
Melodic Range: A1 - C7 (I know this note exists, it’s in that range video on Youtube, I’m still tracking down the song)
Full Range: G♯1 - B7

Significant high notes:
B7: (“Super Freak Family”)
F♯7: (“Schachmatt”)
D7: (“Antiworld”)
C♯7: (“The Lady Loves Me”)
C7: (“Rhythm & Romance”)
B6: (“Auf’m Friedhof”, “Unbeschreiblich Weiblich”, “We Are In Space”)
B♭6: (“Wau Wau”)
A6: (“1985 Ekstasy Drive”, “Auf’m Friedhof”, “Der Spinner”, “Heiß”)
G♯6: (“Heiß”, “Pank”, “Superboy”, “Unbeschreiblich Weiblich”)
G6: (“Auf’m Bahnhof Zoo”, “Naturträne”, “Smack Jack”, “TV-Glotzer (White Punks on Dope)”, “Wenn Ich Ein Junge Wär”)
F♯6: (“Naturträne”, “TV-Glotzer (White Punks on Dope)”)
F6: (“Rangehen”)
E6: (“Auf’m Bahnhof Zoo”, “Dread Love”, “Heiß”, “Naturträne”, “Rangehen”)
E♭6: (“Iki Maska”)
D6: (“Auf’m Bahnhof Zoo”, “Cosma Shiva”, “Früling In Paris”, “Future is Now”, “Naturträne”, “Wenn Ich Ein Junge Wär”, “Wir Leben Immer… Noch (Lucky Number)”)
C♯6: (“Future is Now”, “Wau Wau”)
C6: (“Antiworld”, “Auf’m Bahnhof Zoo”, “My Way”, “Naturträne”, “Omhaidakhandi”, “Rainbow”, “Taischi Tarot”, “Wau Wau”)
B5: (“African Reggae”, “Alptraum”, “Don’t Blame the Crocodile” live from the film “Cha-Cha” 1979, “Dread Love”, “Fever”, “Herrmann Heiß Er”, “I Love Paul”, “Iki Maska”, “My Way”, “New York/N.Y.”, “Wau Wau”)
B♭5: (“Alptraum”, “Born in Xixax”, “Cosma Shiva”, “Der Spinner”, “Don’t Blame the Crocodilelive from the film “Cha-Cha” 1979, “Früling In Paris”, “Iki Maska”, “My Sensation”, “Smack Jack”, “Taischi Tarot”, “T.V. Glotzer (White Punks on Dope)”, “Unbeschreiblich Weiblich”, “Universal Radio”, “Was Es Ist”, “Zarah (Ich Weiss, Es Wird Einmal Ein Wunder Geschehn)”)
A5: (“Auf’m Rummel”, “Cosma Shiva”, “Dread Love”, “Gods of Aquarius”, “Herrmann Heiß Er”, “The Lord’s Prayer”, My Way”, “Prima Nina in Ekstasy”, “Russian Reggae”, “Tiere”, “Wir Leben Immer… Noch (Lucky Number)”)
G♯5: (“Don’t Blame the Crocodile” live from the film “Cha-Cha” 1979, “Dr. Art”, “Gods of Aquarius”, “Herrmann Heiß Er”, “Iki Maska”, “My Sensation”, “New York/N.Y.”, “Smack Jack”, “Zarah (Ich Weiss, Es Wird Einmal Ein Wunder Geschehn)”)
G5: (“Antiworld”, “Fall in Love Mit Mir”, “Fever”, “Früling In Paris”, “Future is Now”, “Iki Maska”, “My Sensation”, “New York/N.Y.”, “Smack Jack”, “Unbeschreiblich Weiblich”, “Universal Radio”, “Was Es Ist”, “Wir Leben Immer… Noch (Lucky Number)”)
F♯5: (“African Reggae”, “Dread Love”, “Future is Now”, “Herrmann Heiß Er”, “I Want to Be Happy”, “My Sensation”, “T.V. Glotzer (White Punks on Dope)”, “Wenn Ich Ein Junge Wär”)
F5: (“Alptraum”, “Der Spinner”, “The Lord’s Prayer”, “Naturträne”, “Smack Jack”)
E5: (“1985 Ekstasy Drive”, “African Reggae”, “Antiworld”, “The Change”, “Dope Sucks”, “Handgrenade (Don’t Lie to Me About HIV)”, “Herrmann Heiß Er”, “Iki Maska”, “The Lady Loves Me”, “Prima Nina in Ekstasy”, “Rangehen”, “Universal Radio (Dance Mix)”)
E♭5: (“Auf’m Bahnhof Zoo”, “Don’t Blame the Crocodile” live from the film “Cha-Cha” 1979, “Fisch Im Wasser”, “Pank”, “Zarah (Ich Weiss, Es Wird Einmal Ein Wunder Geschehn)”)
D5: (“1985 Ekstasy Drive”, “Antiworld”, “Born in Xixax”, “Lorelei”, “Spirit in the Sky”, “Superboy”, “Taischi Tarot”)
C♯5: (“Atomic Flash Deluxe”, “Fever”, “Hold Me”, “My Way”, “Rangehen”, “Smack Jack”, “Super Freak Family”, “Unbeschreiblich Weiblich”, “Universal Radio”)
C5: (“1985 Ekstasy Drive”, “African Reggae”, “Antiworld”, “Auf’m Rummel”, “Frequenzkontrolle”, “If You Ever Should Leave”, “Superboy”, “Wenn Ich Ein Junge Wär”)
B4: (“Gods of Aquarius”, “Heiß”, “I Want to Be Happy”, “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off”, “Lorelei”, “Pank”, “Rangehen”, “Super Freak Family”, “Wau Wau”, “Wenn Ich Ein Junge Wär”)
B♭4: (“Auf’m Bahnhof Zoo”, “Born in Xixax”, “Fever”, “If You Should Ever Leave”, “I’m a Believer”, “The Lady Loves Me”, “Rhythm & Romance”, “Starlit Hour”, “Sugar Blues”)
A4: (“The Lady Loves Me”, “Let Me Entertain You”, “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off”)

Significant low notes:
D3: (“Alptraum”, “Der Spinner”, “Herrmann Heiß Er”, “I Love Paul”, “My Sensation”, “My Way”, “Russian Reggae”, “Smack Jack”, “Wau Wau”, “Zarah (Ich Weiss, Es Wird Einmal Ein Wunder Geschehn)”)
C♯3: (“African Reggae”, “Atomic Flash Deluxe”, “Auf’m Friedhof”, “Früling In Paris”, “Gods of Aquarius”, “News Flash”, “Rangehen”, “Wenn Ich Ein Junge Wär”)
C3: (“Alptraum”, “Antiworld”, “Atomic Flash Deluxe”, “The Change”, “Fieber”, “Iki Maska”, “New York/N.Y.”, “Russian Reggae”, “Smack Jack”, “T.V. Glotzer (White Punks on Dope)”, “U.F.O”)
B2: (“Auf’m Friedhof”, “Dread Love”, “Fall in Love Mit Mir”, “Future is Now”, “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off”, “The Lord’s Prayer”, “Only Seventeen”, “Rainbow”, “Tiere”)
B♭2: (“All Over Nothing @ All”, “Born in Xixax”, “Future is Now”, “Happiness”, “Iki Maska”, “Rainbow”, “Serenade in Blue”)
A2: (“Atomic Flash Deluxe”, “Cosma Shiva”, “Dr. Art”, “Heiß”, “Let Me Entertain You”, “The Lord’s Prayer”, “Prima Nina In Ekstasy”, “Seemann”, “U.F.O”)
G♯2: (“Dr. Art”, “News Flash”)
G2: (“Born in Xixax”, “Fieber”, “Just a Little Talk With Jesus”, “Love & Kisses”, “Mrityunjaya Mantra”, “Seemann”, “Smack Jack”)
F♯2: (“Dread Love”, “Schachmatt”)
F2: (“Dr. Art”, “Let Me Entertain You”, “Love & Kisses”, “New York/N.Y.”, “Nobody’s Fault But Mine”, “Rainbow”, “Run On”)
E2: (“God’s Radar”, “Handgrenade (Don’t Lie to Me About HIV)”, “I Love Paul”, “Serenade in Blue”, “Tiere”, “Was Es Ist”)
E♭2: (“Dr. Art”, “Run On”, “Sugar Blues”)
D2: (“Cosma Shiva”, “Fever”, “I Want to Be Happy”, “Let Me Entertain You”, “Noch Ein Tässchen Kaffee”, “Personal Jesus”, “Schachmatt”, “Tiere”, “We Are In Space”)
C♯2: (“Rainbow”)
C2: (“Flat Foot Floogie”)
B1: (“Fever”)
B♭1: (“Fever”, “Frequenzkontrolle”, “My Sensation”, “Smack Jack”)
A1: (“1985 Ekstasy Drive”, “U.F.O? )
G♯1: (“Don’t Blame the Crocodilelive from the film “Cha-Cha” 1979)

*Italics marks non-melodic notes
*Underline marks notes found in backing harmony or general backing vocal
*Boldface marks notes that are considered to be particularly notable examples of this person's vocal capabilities.
*Blue marks falsetto notes
*Grey marks heavily fryish notes that still maintain a solid pitch
? marks notes I am not sure about

Upon hearing any one of her songs, particularly those from her earlier years, you would not be blamed assuming that perhaps there is something to her stories of UFO’s. I say this because German music and film icon Nina Hagen’s voice does not appear to have much in common with the rest of the human race. A trained opera singer (of which she constantly likes to remind the listener by sporadically bursting into her tremendously strong head voice) with versatility and strength that is essentially unparalleled by her contemporaries. She has proved herself capable of singing classically, growling, shrieking, yodelling, singing in her whistle register and has been unsettlingly comfortable in the lower 3rd and upper 2nd octave even before her voice began to deteriorate. In her early years, Hagen would spontaneously leap into the 6th octave in the middle of phrases or even words for absolutely no reason, perhaps simply because she could. Nowadays, although she is now able to comfortably sing bass in gospel songs, she has all but lost most of her upper register.

notes:
The B1 in Fever might be slightly lower.
The A1 in 1985 Ekstasy Drive is a power-growl that maintains surprisingly solid pitch
2:17 of “Dr. Art” F2 on the backing vocals in the left channel?
D7 in Antiworld at 2:00

Would just like to point out that her voice has gotten so low now that I could use G4 as a significant high note. This is why I have an A4 section, but I will only be including A4’s from after her voice started getting significantly lower.

discography:

Green = checked
Nina Hagen Band
Unbehagen
Cha-Cha
NunSexMonkRock
Angstlos
In Ekstasy
Punk Wedding
Nina Hagen
Street
Revolution Ballroom
FreuD Euch
BeeHappy
Om Nama Shivay
Return of the Mother
Big Band Explosion
Irgendwo auf der Welt
Personal Jesus
Volksbeat
[/b]

Last edited by IhateMana on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 8 times in total
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nina Hagen

Post  IhateMana on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Wish me luck
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex61 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Is A4 even a sig high? For most mezzos, yeah, but not really for her.

Not trying to discredit your thread or anything (and Jeezus, good luck with this!)
Alex61

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 pm

The A4 section is for post 2000 era where her voice has gotten significantly deeper (same reasoning for including E4 for Bowie), I wouldn't include A4 for anything before that, you're right. She's not a mezzo anymore, she's a super low contralto so A4 seems reasonable to me especially since she barely uses her upper register anymore.

IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex61 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:46 am

IhateMana wrote:The A4 section is for post 2000 era where her voice has gotten significantly deeper (same reasoning for including E4 for Bowie), I wouldn't include A4 for anything before that, you're right. She's not a mezzo anymore, she's a super low contralto so A4 seems reasonable to me especially since she barely uses her upper register anymore.

That makes a lot more sense, thanks I don't know, though, is it worth implementing a colour system for singers who have changed from high to low or something? Joni Mitchell did the same thing.
Alex61

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:55 am

alexmcnamee61 wrote:
IhateMana wrote:The A4 section is for post 2000 era where her voice has gotten significantly deeper (same reasoning for including E4 for Bowie), I wouldn't include A4 for anything before that, you're right. She's not a mezzo anymore, she's a super low contralto so A4 seems reasonable to me especially since she barely uses her upper register anymore.

Spoiler:

That makes a lot more sense, thanks I don't know, though, is it worth implementing a colour system for singers who have changed from high to low or something? Joni Mitchell did the same thing.
No, he could just put the voice changes in quotes or something, if he wants to do it. Also, try to avoid quoting videos mate. If you do, either delete the video from the response, or just put it in spoilers -which is just that note-pad with the caution sign on it in the 4th column, left to right .
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kokope on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:25 am

I haven't heard a head/falcetto note from her nowadays... I read somewhere that she is recording a new album and I am really looking for something different than her last one. BTW. GREAT JOB ON THE THREAD.
kokope

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Yo honestly, gonna gauge the room, should I really bother listing the A1 as black? I mean she definitely aims for that pitch consistently through out the song and it's strong but... I mean...

0:54
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kokope on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:34 am

It's a legit note. Personally, I don't like using colours for my threads but marking it black won't hurt anyone. Very Happy
kokope

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Left channel at the 4 minute mark (birds are singing) anyone able to pick out what the fuck that bottoms at?
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Insufficient_Platypus on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:58 am

E♭2, as far as I can tell. Might be wrong though
Insufficient_Platypus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:34 am

Insufficient_Platypus wrote:E♭2, as far as I can tell. Might be wrong though

Spoken E♭2, yeah.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kokope on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:48 pm

There is a solid background growl? at 1:58 but I can't pitch it.
kokope

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:25 pm

kokope wrote:
Spoiler:

There is a solid background growl? at 1:58 but I can't pitch it.

Umm, no idea I'm pretty useless at those, kinda sounds like B1, maybe bottoms at A1. There also sounds like some sort of fried A1's as well in the background of "Earthquake in Los Angeles" behind the A2's but I'm really not sure.
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kokope on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:29 pm

I agree about the A1. It's kinda logical to be A1 since it's a harmonized with the A2. Laughing
kokope

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Damn I just realised I haven't even added a key for this yet lol. Will also probably mark that A1 as grey at some point, just so there's absolutely no pretense that that note is anything other than a very strong, surprisingly melodic growl.
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Tried a little bit of the ol Boldfacing on this bitch. This is my first attempt at using it in one of my threads, I hope to implement it on my others on the new forum.
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top