Isaac Hayes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Isaac Hayes

Post  Clem on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:28 am

Isaac Hayes:
Voice Type: Chocolate Salty (Lyric) Bass-Baritone
Sung Range: B1-E♭5 (3 Octaves + 4 Semitones)
Total Range: B♭1-F5 (3 Octaves + 7 Semitones)

Significant High Notes:
F5 ("Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic")
E♭5 ("Chocolate Salty Balls", "I'm Gonna Make Love To You, Woman", "No Substitute")
C5 ("By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Simultaneous")
G♯4 ("By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Walk On By")
G4 ("By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Going To Chicago Blues/Misty", "One Woman", "Simultaneous")
F♯4 ("Chocolate Salty Balls", "Mountain Town Reprise", "No Substitute", "The Prostitute Song")
F4 ("Going To Chicago Blues/Misty", "One Woman")
E♭4 ("Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic", "I'm Gonna Make Love To You, Woman", "Make Love Even When I'm Dead", "Precious, Precious (Long Version)", "Walk On By")

Significant Low Notes:
B♭2 ("By The Time I Get To Phoenix")
A2 ("The Prostitute Song")
G♯2 ("By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "No Susbstitute")
G2 ("Going To Chicago Blues/Misty", "I'm Gonna Make Love To You, Woman", "One Woman", "When I Fall In Love")
F♯2 ("Precious, Precious (Long Version)", "Walk On By")
F2 ("Going To Chicago Blues/Misty", "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic", "Love Gravy", "Simultaneous")
E♭2 ("Chocolate Salty Balls", "Love Gravy")
D2 ("One Woman")
C♯2 ("No Substitute")
B1 ("Precious, Precious (Long Version)")
B♭1 ("Loving The Football")

Known For Vocals:
As a soul singer and voice actor. Initially having success as a composer and performer of soul music in the 1960s and 70s, Hayes achieved great mainstream attention with his theme for the 1971 film "Shaft", which he wrote and recorded. He then became a cult star in the 1990s, providing the voice of 'Chef', an african-american, sexually active, soul-singing canteen worker on the Comedy Central cartoon-comedy series, "South Park". Chef would often burst into song at inappropriate times, singing explicit parodies of soul and funk songs. A formidable bass-baritone, Hayes projected very dark sounding low notes with great ease, and spoke in a very low register a lot of the time. That said, he had impressive flexibility in his upper reaches too, belting out notes around F♯4 quite easily even into his fifties and sixties. Passing away from a stroke aged 65, Hayes leaves an interesting legacy of music and television, and will be remembered as a talented musician with a good sense of humour.

Top 10 Vocal Performances:
1. By The Time I Get To Phoenix
2. Chocolate Salty Balls
3. Simultaneous
4. One Woman
5. Going To Chicago Blues/Misty
6. Walk On By
7. Precious, Precious (Long Version)
8. Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic
9. I'm Gonna Make Love To You, Woman
10. The Prostitute Song

Notewatched Material:
"Presenting Isaac Hayes" - 1968 (With the exception of track 5, "You Don't Know Like I Know", as it not currently on Youtube.)
"Hot Buttered Soul" - 1969
All songs listed as being sung by 'Chef' by South Park Wikia.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top