Mike Vennart

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mike Vennart

Post  WalterWeiß on Fri May 27, 2016 1:26 am

Mike Vennart

Voice type: Long Forgotten Tenor
Total Vocal Range: G2-E6
Sung Vocal Range: G2-F5 (from what i figured out so far)
Associated Acts: Oceansize, Vennart, British Theatre, Biffy Clyro, Amplifier

Significant high notes

• E6 ("Catalyst" live at the Manchester Roadhouse 2008)
  • F5 ("You Cannot Keep A Bad Man Down", "Meredith", "Sleeping Dogs And Dead Lions")
  • E5 ("A Homage To A Shame", "Defeat Skeletons", "No Tomorrow", "Meredith", "Saturday Morning Breakfast Show", "Sleeping Dogs And Dead Lions")
  • D5 ("Defeat Skeletons", "Meredith", "Saturday Morning Breakfast Show")
  • C♯5 ("Catalyst", "Saturday Morning Breakfast Show")
  • C5 ("Ornament/The Last Wrongs", "Remember Where You Are", "Heaven Alive", "New Pin", "No Tomorrow", "Defeat Skeletons", "You Cannot Keep A Bad Man Down", "Operate", "Meredith", "Saturday Morning Breakfast Show")
  • B4 ("Ornament / The Last Wrongs", "Massive Bereavement", "Defeat Skeletons" )
  • B♭4 ("Amputee", "Defeat Skeletons", "Remember Where You Are", "You Wish", "Ornament/The Last Wrongs")
  • A4 ("Catalyst", "Amputee", "You Wish", "Ornament/The Last Wrongs", "Remember Where You Are", "You Cannot Keep A Bad Man Down", "Operate", "Ornament/The Last Wrongs", "Massive Bereavement", "Sleeping Dogs And Dead Lions")
  • G♯4 ("Cross The Swords", "Amputee")
  • G4 ("Catalyst", "Amputee", "You Wish", "Remember Where You Are", "Heaven Alive", "The Charm Offensive", "A Homage To A Shame", "New Pin", "You Cannot Keep A Bad Man Down", "Sleeping Dogs And Dead Lions", "Operate", "Music For A Nurse", "Meredith", "No Tomorrow", "Cross The Swords", "Defeat Skeletons")

Significant low notes

• D3 ("Saturday Morning Breakfast Show", "Massive Bereavement", "You Wish", "Amputee")
  • C3 ("Massive Bereavement", "Defeat Skeletons", "Mine Host", "Amputee")
  • A2 ("Defeat Skeletons", "Amputee")
  • G2 ("Defeat Skeletons")

Probably best known as the frontman and one of the guitarists of Oceansize, Mike Vennart's slightly raspy, crooning voice is one of the
trademark characteristics of Oceansize's sound.
Well respected for their progressive soundscape, Oceansize have gained a cult following, although never reaching into the realms of mainstream success. After Oceansize's break-up in 2011, Vennart continued to work on other projects.
In 2012, he released two EPs as British Theatre with former bandmate "Gambler", while releasing their debut studio effort "Mastery" in 2016.
Mike Vennart has also released a solo album "The Demon Joke" in 2015 as Vennart, featuring former bandmates Steve Durose and Gambler as part of his studio and touring ensemble. He also tours with Biffy Clyro as a guitarist since a couple of years.
Currently, he is working on his second Vennart outing.

*Green marks harsh or distorted vocals.
*Blue marks notes sung in a soft falsetto voice
*Underlined marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured in the song mix.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Last edited by WalterWeiß on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:27 pm; edited 28 times in total
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mike Vennart

Post  WalterWeiß on Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 am

I'm new to notewatching and stuff, so bear with me if i categorized some of those notes wrongly.
Recently, i discovered this gem of a website and discovered, that there was no thread for Mike Vennart (which is really a shame, given that he already is underrated). Therefore, i took the initiative and made a thread myself.
Please guys, feel free to add notes and correct something. Smile
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Fri May 27, 2016 1:32 am

You're doing good! Though, the purple/underline system is archaic and outdated. We use just underlines now so it doesn't interfere with other colors. Nice work, man.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Fri May 27, 2016 1:40 am

Thank you very much! Feel free to guide me into the realm of correct notewatching. The only notes i'm more or less sure of are those in the G4-C5 section, so any helping hand is much needed to do justice to the great Mike Vennart Wink
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Fri May 27, 2016 1:47 am

I actually attempted to notewatch him a while back and should have a bunch of notes saved somewhere...

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Sun May 29, 2016 5:44 am

JaredLetoIsBack wrote:I actually attempted to notewatch him a while back and should have a bunch of notes saved somewhere...

Nice! Have you been able to find them yet?
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Sun May 29, 2016 9:02 am

Nah but I'm sure I remember at least G2s and chesty B4s, possibly even some 5th octave stuff. But you really need to do some more research, with or without my help.

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Mon May 30, 2016 5:16 am

I added a bunch of notes here and there.
Because i am (as already stated) new to notewatching, i'm not too sure about their correctness.
I can't seem to tell notes in vocals as well as others do Confused
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Once again, i added a good bunch of notes. I was quite suprised to find some really high notes in songs that i would normally not have noticed.
His range and ability are not too bad it seems. Although i am still open to suggestions and corrections if anyone is noticing something wrong.
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:35 am

Maybe move that F5?

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:57 am

JaredLetoIsBack wrote:Maybe move that F5?

Fixed it. Smile
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Hey guys, is anyone of you able to pitch this brief, but really high note from the Oceansize live performance of their album Effloresce at the Roundhouse in Manchester (2008)?
It happens during the guitar build-up from the song "Catalyst" and to my ears this little shriek sounds like a sixth octave note.
I tried to find the note on my keyboard and the note synchronising best was straight up a E♭6 (!!) Shocked
However, i find it very hard to pitch shrieked or screamed notes, so i might be wrong and it could just be a E♭5 Very Happy.

https://youtu.be/7TB3AHSUV_c?t=5m53s
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JaredLetoIsBack on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:37 pm

G#5?

Actually on second listen, that didn't sound right at all. Meh, dunno.

JaredLetoIsBack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 pm

JaredLetoIsBack wrote:G#5?

Hmm, dunno doesn't sound to me like a G/G#...
When i try to find the note on my keyboard, E♭ is pretty much tonally similiar, at least to my ears.
What octave this note is in though, i cannot say. Maybe he does really quick slide up from G#5 to E♭6 or is that out of the question Confused
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockin' D on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Put a color code on the bottom of your thread. Smile
Rockin' D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:56 pm

Rockin' D wrote:Put a color code on the bottom of your thread. Smile

It was there, but two days ago i screwed up my editing code. I had an short text written on his career and that also got deleted by my stupidity.
Is there anyway to recover old edits? I would be thankful to make it like it was Smile

EDIT: I added the color code again manually but i would still like to know if a recovery of old edits is possible Smile.
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:42 am

WalterWeiß wrote:

It was there, but two days ago i screwed up my editing code. I had an short text written on his career and that also got deleted by my stupidity.
Is there anyway to recover old edits? I would be thankful to make it like it was Smile

EDIT: I added the color code again manually but i would still like to know if a recovery of old edits is possible Smile.

Found a cache of the old page and added your vocal description back into the OP.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:54 am

The Long Shot wrote:
WalterWeiß wrote:

Found a cache of the old page and added your vocal description back into the OP.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. : Is anyone else able to pitch the aforementioned note (https://youtu.be/7TB3AHSUV_c?t=5m53s) ? Confused
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockin' D on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:12 am

Sounds like a brief yelped E6.
Rockin' D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WalterWeiß on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Rockin' D wrote:Sounds like a brief yelped E6.

Shall i include it then? To me it sounds like a E♭6 but you are probably more experienced in pitching those notes.
Is it a sung note though?
I did a "Total Vocal Range" and a "Sung Vocal Range" section for now Smile.
WalterWeiß

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top