Paul Robeson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paul Robeson

Post  Clem on Wed May 18, 2016 5:08 am

Paul Robeson:
Voice Type: Mary Had A (Dramatic) Bass-Baritone
Sung Range: E♭2-D4 (2 Octaves + 1 Semitone)
Total Range: E♭2-D4 (2 Octaves + 1 Semitone)

Notable High Notes:
D4 ("Old Man River", "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?")
C4 ("Ballad For Americans", "Jerusalem", "Nearer My God To Thee", "Old Man River (Non-Movie Performance)", "Mah Lindy Lou", "Mighty Lak A Rose", "River, Stay Away From My Door", "Old Folks At Home")
B3 ("That's Why Darkies Were Born", "Trees", "Love Song", "Mountain Song", "Native Land")
B♭3 ("Shenandoah", "Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?", "Drink To Me Only Thine Eyes", "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", "Ma Curly-Headed Baby", "A Perfect Day", "Cobbler's Song", "Steal Away", "The Blind Ploughman", "The Lord God Of Abraham")
A3 ("All Through The Night", "Danny Boy", "Loch Lomond", "Congo Lullaby", "Killing Song", "Scandalize My Name", "Song Of The Plains", "Stand Still, Jordan")
G♯3 ("It Ain't Necessarily So", "The House I Live In", "Song of Freedom", "Just A Wearyin' For You", "All God's Chillun Got Wings")
G3 ("Summertime", "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen", "Star Vicino")

Notable Low Notes:
B♭2 ("Drink To Me Only Thine Eyes", "Congo Lullaby", "Ma Curly-Headed Baby", "All God's Chillun Got Wings", "Mighty Like A Rose")
A2 ("Nearer My God To Thee", "Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel?", "Love Song", "Hear De Lamb's A Cryin'")
G♯2 ("Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?", "The House I Live In", "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", "Just A Wearyin' For You", "River, Stay Away From My Door", "Steal Away", "The Blind Ploughman", "Passing By")
G2 ("Summertime", "Jerusalem", "All Through The Night", "Loch Lomond", "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen", "Cobbler's Song", "Scandalize My Name", "Song Of The Plains")
F♯2 ("Amazing Grace", "Ode To Joy", "It Ain't Necessarily So", "Killing Song", "Native Land", "Stand Still, Jordan")
F2 ("Shenandoah", "Ballad For Americans", "Land Of Our Fathers", "The Minstrel Boy", "Ma Curly-Headed Baby", "Old Man River", "Star Vicino", "This Little Light Of Mine", "The Lord God Of Abraham")
E2 ("Joe Hill", "Song of Freedom", "That's Why Darkies Were Born", "Trees", "Eriksay Love Lilt", "The Mountain Song")
E♭2 ("Danny Boy", "Old Man River (Non-Movie Performance)", "Passing By")

Known For Vocals:
As a recording artist and musical theater performer. One of the most recognised bass singers of all time, Robeson is most well known for his portrayal of the character Joe, in the 1936 film adaptation of Kern and Hammerstein's musical, "Showboat". This role saw him perform "Old Man River", often thought of as the most well known solo for bass vocal. A very disciplined, methodical singer, Robeson was not one to push his range to its limits, instead focusing on delivering flawless performances in his most comfortable keys. I feel he certainly had a lot more higher-range singing in him than we'll ever know. Boasting a monstrously heavy timbre, great depth in tone and excellent control, Paul Robeson must be remembered as one of the most important singers of his generation, as well as one of the most important bass singers ever.

I am gradually working my way through this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL644F31FFC8571789

Last edited by Clem on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paul Robeson

Post  Celice on Fri May 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Nice to see a thread for him (and I'd be interested to see what RLNA score Zedd would give him Smile )

Several F2s here, and it tops at G♯3.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Fri May 27, 2016 3:54 pm

I haven't heard TOO much of Robeson's work, but I did go out of my way to listen to him at one time and he certainly has a remarkable bass voice. Great tone, easily a 9 at least on the RLNA scale. Cool

Also I could've sworn I heard a song by him with a D2 or C#2, but I could be wrong. Don't give up hope though!
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top