JoJo (Joanna Levesque)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JoJo (Joanna Levesque)

Post  Agape on Tue May 17, 2016 1:16 am

Voice Type: Comebacking Mezzo Soprano
Vocal Range: G#2-G5-G#6
Supported Range: C3-E5-B5

Summary:
At age 13, Joanna Levesque found fame early as she became the youngest person to secure a Billboard number one with "Leave (Get Out)". After a second worldwide hit with "Too Little Too Late" and her two albums certified Platinum and Gold with a total of 7 million sold, Levesque disappeared from public view as she spent 7 years bitterly trapped in a 7 album contract with a label that refused to release her despite ceasing to function. Despite failing to release music throughout this period, JoJo solidified a strong fanbase with a series of critically acclaimed free (largely R&B) mixtapes and EPs. In 2014, after suing her label Blackground for a second time, Levesque finally broke free and immediately signed with Atlantic Records. Her long-awaited third album is due in the final quarter of 2016.

Vocal Summary:
JoJo was already a soulful vocal prodigy from 8 years old and already one of the best vocalists around when she arrived on the scene at 12, but it's in these down years that she has developed into a stunning vocalist. As she matured, her voice has dropped from a soprano to a perfectly well-rounded mezzo with brilliant and fully explored lows, a strong belting register and an angelic (and sometimes operatic) head voice and falsetto. She also possesses coloratura level agility that allows her to execute fast and intricate runs, a clear tone and a naturally soulful and emotional voice. Aside from all of that, what sets her apart are the layers to her voice and her technical brilliance in a sea of pop vocalists with so many technical flaws. While most mainstream singers have countless technical issues either throwing their larynx up for simple notes above C5+ or dropping their larynx to reach basic low notes and to fake a more soulful sound, JoJo keeps a neutral larynx through most of her range, supporting from C3-E5 in her chest and up to C6 in head voice.

Head Voice/Falsetto:
G#6: “I Can Take You There”
F♯6: "Microphone"
E6: "Too Little Too Late"
E♭6: "The High Road", "Too Little Too Late (live)"
C♯6: "Numbers", “Too Little Too Late”
C6: "No More Tears", "Glory", “No Diggity”
B5: “Say Love”, "Too Little Too Late", “What You Like”, “Demonstrate”, “Disaster”
B♭5: "Take Me Home", "Numbers", "Disaster", “Boy Without A Heart (live)”, “I Can Take You There”, “I Don’t Wanna Wait (live)”
A5: Fly Away, "Disaster", “Can’t Handle The Truth”, “Yes or No”, “Billions”, “Boy Without A Heart (live)”, “Demonstrate (live), “Billions/Human Nature(live)”
G♯5: "Glory", “Good ‘Ol”, “Boy Without A Heart”, “Free Man In Paris”, “When Love Hurts”, “When Love Hurts (acapella)”
G5: "Glory", “Take The Canyon”, “Weak (live)”

Belts:
G5: "I'm Not The Only One (live cover)", "Limbo", "The Other Chick", "This Time", "The High Road", "Sunshine", "Breezy", "No More Tears", "How You Did It"
F♯5: "Too Little Too Late", "The Way You Do Me", "Do What’cha Gotta Do", "Say Love", "Anything", "Use My Shoulder", "Fairy Tales", "Yes or No", "Good Thing"
F5: “When Does It Go Away”, "Too Little Too Late (live)", “Happy”, This Time", "The High Road", “Can’t Take That Away From Me”, "Take Me Home", "Limbo" "Weak", "Baby It's You", "Breezy", "Disaster", "Superstition", "No More Tears", “Save My Soul (live)”, “I’m Not The Only One (live)”, “Ordinary People (live)”, “Wake Me Up (live)”, “Leave (Get Out) (live)”, “Weak (live)”
E5: "Say Love", "Caught Up In The Rapture", "Keep Forgetting To Forget About You", "Keep On Keepin' On", "Right On Time", “I Am (live)”, "Limbo", “Get It Poppin”, "Exceptional", “Weak (live)”, “Save My Soul (live)”, “My Time Is Money”, “All I Want Is Everything”, “Andre”, “Vocal Training With Stevie Mackey (live)”
E♭5: "Save My Soul", "Take Me Home", “The Way You Do Me”, "How To Touch a Girl", "Good Thing", "The Other Chick", “The High Road” "The Happy Song", "Before We Take It There", “Homeboy”, “Butterflies”, “Pretty Please”, “Andre”, “Thinking Out Loud”
D5: "Leave (Get Out)", "Disaster", "The Other Chick", “Say Love (live)”, “I’m Not The Only One”, "Caught Up In The Rapture Of Love", "Right On Time", “I Am”, “I Don’t Wanna Wait (live)”, “Who’s Lovin’ You (live)”, “Good Ol”, “Billions”, “Save My Soul (live)”, “Demonstrate”, “Weak (live)”, “Deja Vu (live)”
C♯5: "When Love Hurts (acapella)", “Never Say Goodbye", “Jumping Trains”, “I Am (live)”, "Save My Soul", "Say Love", "Boy Without A Heart" "Fearless", “How To Touch A Girl”, “Thinking Out Loud/Unthinkable (Iive)”, “Crazy/Crazy In Love”
C5: “Save My Soul (live)”, “City Lights (live)”, “The Christmas Song”, “Night And Day/Prototype”, “Jumping Trains (live)”, “Note To God”, “Exceptional”, “I Am (live), “Say Love (live)

Lows
E3: “Too Little Too Late”, “We Get By”, “Crazy/Crazy In Love (live)”, “Night And Day/Prototype (live)”
Eb3: “Too Little Too Late(live)”, “Exceptional”, “Caught Up In The Rapture”, “How To Touch Girl”, “Boy Without A Heart”, “When Does It Go Away”, “Can’t Handle The Truth”, Take Me Home (live)”
D3: “Them Changes (live)”, “Are You That Somebody/One In A Million (live)”, “Weak (live)”, “Can’t Handle The Truth”, "Fly Away", "Sexy To Me", Caught Up In The Rapture, “Just A Dream”, “My Time Is Money”, “Leave (Get Out) (live)”, “Demonstrate”
C♯3: "Boy Without A Heart (live)", “Thinking Out Loud/Unthinkable (live)”, “Jumping Trains (live)”, "Riot", “Back2thebeginninagain”, “We Get By”, “Take The Canyon (live)”
C3: "Playing Around With Lower Register (live)", “Happy (live)”, “Weak (live)”, "Back Words"
B2: "Demonstrate", "I'm Not The Only One (live)"
A2: Soundcheck (live)

Notable songs/performances:
5 B2s:

~18 E5s

4 G5s, 8 F5s (full video here)

And just some damn good singing. Though there's an amazing D3 at the beginning.

*This is her entire range
*Most sites have her highest note as C7. Decide for yourself.
*I didn't include exclamations/fry or anything like that. All notes are her sung vocals.
*I will try to link live where I can.

Agape

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: JoJo (Joanna Levesque)

Post  Agape on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:31 pm

She has hit a G#2 and G6 in a few days.

This video of her range is amazing

Agape

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:33 pm

Please add spoilers when you post this many videos in a row. Also, try to adapt the size of the thread's picture to be a bit smaller. maybe 2/3rds of the actual size
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top