Verse 1 of Amazing Grace (Bass Vocalist Cover)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Verse 1 of Amazing Grace (Bass Vocalist Cover)

Post  CoolBeans on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Link...

I've been really wanting to improve my voice, so I figured I'd get past my insecurities and upload something for you guys to pick apart. It's short, simple, and completely non-instrumental (it's late over here), and I'd like to put up some more stuff later, but for now I really just want some quick analyses.

For the past few months, I had been yelling out high notes and interpreting it as "belting." While I haven't really felt a ton of pain from doing so, I've figured out from what I've heard others say and what some vocal teachers have said that what I'm doing is potentially dangerous. So, I've decided to stop and focus on vocal quality, as I'm still young and I've been told countless times that my range will come with age.

How does my lower register sound? What can I improve?

Last edited by CoolBeans on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:10 am; edited 2 times in total
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Verse 1 of Amazing Grace (Bass Vocalist Cover)

Post  The Long Shot on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I don't know how old you are (15? 16?), but I'd definitely say give the lower range more time to expand. It's getting there, but the D2's sound kind of weak and forced right now. I wouldn't want you to unnecessarily force your voice down to places you're not super comfortable with.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:34 pm

I think the notes sound forced because I'm trying to focus too much on volume. Like I said, I had been yelling practically all afternoon so my voice sounds pretty raw and unappealing. So would they sound better if I try to reduce the air flow and make them a little more quiet and steady (as well as maybe not damage my voice through excessive shouting)? It's not very hard for me to sing a D2 softly; it's just by C♯2 and below it starts to get really difficult to relax.

The other thing is that I draw a lot of inspiration from many acapella and gospel basses, and what I hear is what I try to replicate. Many of them have this crackly, loud sound to their voice, but is that not how I was singing? How can I make that sound without seeming vocally labored?

And yes, 16 is correct.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:58 am

Can one of the mods please move this topic to Covers and Other Clips? I feel like this fits better there.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  oktavism.com on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:34 am

CoolBeans wrote:I think the notes sound forced because I'm trying to focus too much on volume. Like I said, I had been yelling practically all afternoon so my voice sounds pretty raw and unappealing. So would they sound better if I try to reduce the air flow and make them a little more quiet and steady (as well as maybe not damage my voice through excessive shouting)? It's not very hard for me to sing a D2 softly; it's just by C♯2 and below it starts to get really difficult to relax.

The other thing is that I draw a lot of inspiration from many acapella and gospel basses, and what I hear is what I try to replicate. Many of them have this crackly, loud sound to their voice, but is that not how I was singing? How can I make that sound without seeming vocally labored?

And yes, 16 is correct.

Not bad!

I think you are whispering too much here, especially in the upper range. This works OK if you are Tim Storms and whispering right into a microphone, and you can rely on the mic for resonance, EQ, etc.

But if you are just singing unamplified into a recording mic without a ton of fancy settings, it sounds a bit thin. For this setting, you need a Rodney Britt type approach.

Listen to how he opens his mouth up and gives the notes space enough to resonate:

oktavism.com

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:24 am

oktavism.com wrote:Not bad!

Yes! I was hoping you in particular would weigh in a little bit. Very Happy Although TLS is definitely a user I would trust and draw from much more so than some others, I was hoping to get some input from an actual bass vocalist (and a skilled one at that).

I think you are whispering too much here, especially in the upper range. This works OK if you are Tim Storms and whispering right into a microphone, and you can rely on the mic for resonance, EQ, etc.

You're right; after listening to my clip more, I notice there's a sharp change in volume before (when I'm singing higher) and during the D2s (which, again, is why it probably sounded so forced). So maintain a steady, projected, and strong sound is what you're getting at, right?

But if you are just singing unamplified into a recording mic without a ton of fancy settings, it sounds a bit thin. For this setting, you need a Rodney Britt type approach.

Listen to how he opens his mouth up and gives the notes space enough to resonate:

I'm glad you brought Rodney Britt up, because I would much rather sound like him than have the range of Tim Storms.

After trying this a little bit, I notice that I do sound much better and feel more resonant. My next question is how can I still maintain this strong sound with a closed mouth (on consonants like "dm" and "bm;" I think you know what I'm getting at)? Is it basically the same in the sense that I should keep the inside of my mouth as spacious as possible?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  oktavism.com on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:07 am

I think you've got the basic idea. Keep the resonating space as big as you can, even on consonants.

Let me qualify when I say I'm not a voice teacher, so I don't pretend to be an authority on the subject. That said, most voice teacher have little concern with developing the low range.

At the end of the day, not many will sound like Britt even if we use perfect vocal technique. So it's also about developing a consistent sound across the registers. Obviously, your highest notes will sound different from your lowest, but you don't want to sound dramatically different in a small area--unless the genre/variety of music you're performing finds that aesthetically pleasing. Most genres don't, though there are exceptions.

oktavism.com

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:36 am

http://picosong.com/N6mJ/

How does this sound? I tried to keep a steady volume and tone throughout (suffered a loss of pitch at some parts).

Like I said, I wanna upload more stuff with more vocals, but I keep making the weird choice of posting late at night.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  oktavism.com on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:50 pm

I think that's a definite improvement. More consistency throughout!

When it comes to bass stuff, I always figure it's better to practice at night anyway. If you can do it at night, you'll have no problem singing it in the morning, right?

oktavism.com

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:02 pm

That's very true. My voice is usually pretty exhausted by the end of the day anyways, so if singing down to D2 doesn't sound terrible by nighttime, it'll sound even better and be far easier when my voice is well relaxed (I'll also be able to sing lower too). Very Happy Thanks again! I'll be sure to post more stuff.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top