Bobby Osborne

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bobby Osborne

Post  Alex on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Bobby Osborne was the lead singer in the bluegrass group The Osborne Brothers, popular in the '60s and '70s. His brother Sonny retired in 2005, but Bobby continues to perform with his band The Rocky Top Express. Bobby is known for his consistently high lead singing.

Voice Type: High Lonesome Tenor

Vocal Range :
C♯3 - E5 (Two octaves and a minor 3rd.)

Significant High Notes

E5 (Muleskinner Blues)
D5(Ruby, Muleskinner Blues, Is This My Destiny, Once More (Live, 1958))
C5(Hey, Hey Bartender, Traveling This Lonesome Road)
B4(Rocky Top, Roll Muddy River, Sun of a Sawmill Man, Midnight Flyer, Is This My Destiny, Miss You Mississippi, Fastest Grass Alive, Cut The Cornbread Mama)
A♯4(Georgia PineyWoods, White Lightning, Fireball Mail)
A4(Ruby, Little Cabin Home On The Hill, Up This Hill and Down, Hey Hey Bartender)

Significant Low Notes

G♯3 (I love you only, Sweethearts again)
F♯3 (Fastest Grass Alive)
E3 (Me and My Old Banjo)
C♯3 (Fair and Tender Ladies)

Italics mark non-sung notes.

In 'Me and My Old Banjo' he has a little melody that's begging to go down to B2 but he cops out and does a little parlando at E3, leading me to believe he doesn't have any 2nd octave notes. I stopped counting A4 because he hits it everywhere and for him it's often as a pedal note rather than a climactic one. Because he sings the high harmony as well as the lead, there's a bunch of high notes in every song and almost no lows. His catalogue is vast so I'm sure there's more to be found.

Last edited by AlexTou on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bobby Osborne

Post  Alex on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:32 am

First E5 at 0:51

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Formatting the thread:

Bobby Osborne was the lead singer in the bluegrass group The Osborne Brothers, popular in the '60s and '70s. His brother Sonny retired in 2005, but Bobby continues to perform with his band The Rocky Top Express. Bobby is known for his consistently high lead singing.

Voice Type: High Lonesome Tenor

Vocal Range: C♯3-E5 (Two octaves and a minor 3rd.)

Significant High Notes
E5 ("Muleskinner Blues")
D5 ("Ruby", "Muleskinner Blues", "Is This My Destiny", "Once More" (Live, 1958))
C5 ("Hey, Hey Bartender", "Traveling This Lonesome Road")
B4 ("Rocky Top", "Roll Muddy River", "Sun of a Sawmill Man", "Midnight Flyer", "Is This My Destiny", "Miss You Mississippi", "Fastest Grass Alive", "Cut The Cornbread Mama")
B♭4 ("Georgia PineyWoods", "White Lightning", "Fireball Mail")
A4 ("Ruby", "Little Cabin Home On The Hill", "Up This Hill and Down", "Hey, Hey Bartender")

Significant Low Notes
G♯3 ("I Love You Only", "Sweethearts again")
F♯3 ("Fastest Grass Alive")
E3 ("Me and My Old Banjo")
C♯3 ("Fair and Tender Ladies")

Italics mark non-sung notes.

In 'Me and My Old Banjo' he has a little melody that's begging to go down to B2 but he cops out and does a little parlando at E3, leading me to believe he doesn't have any 2nd octave notes. I stopped counting A4 because he hits it everywhere and for him it's often as a pedal note rather than a climactic one. Because he sings the high harmony as well as the lead, there's a bunch of high notes in every song and almost no lows. His catalogue is vast so I'm sure there's more to be found.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top