Michael Gira

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Michael Gira

Post  glds on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Vocal Range: G♯1-G5
Voice Type: Baritone

Summary: Michael Gira, frontman of experimental rock band Swans, is known prominently for his destructive, barbed baritone voice. Iconically, he possesses resonant lows, singing all the way down the 2nd octave in chest voice and even occasionally touching the 1st octave, as well as demonstrating devastating screaming and singing up into the 4th octave. His musicianship is famous for its incredible length and pressure, leading dark atmosphere and overwhelming sounds. Since the beginning of his career as a singer and musician in 1979, he still continues to evolve his vocals and his music.

Significant High Notes:

G5: ("Just A Little Boy")
F♯5/G♭5: ("The Apostate")
D♯5/E♭5: ("The Apostate" live)
D5: ("The Apostate")
B4: ("The Apostate", "Just A Little Boy")
A♯4/B♭4: ("She Loves Us")
A4: ("Beautiful Child", "Bring the Sun", "Mother of the World", "Oxygen",  "She Loves Us")
G4: ("A Little God In My Hands", "Beautiful Child", "Just a Little Boy", "She Loves Us", "Stay Here")
F♯4/G♭4: ("The Apostate", "Bring the Sun", "Just a Little Boy", "Mother of the World", "New City in the Future")
F4: ("Jim", "Right Wrong")
E4: ("The Apostate", "Beautiful Child", "Coward", "Half Life", "Jim", "New City in the Future", "New Mind", "Stay Here", "The Final Sacrifice")
D♯4/E♭4: ("The Apostate" live, "Fool" live A Long Slow Screw, "Power for Power", "Right Wrong")
D4: ("Oxygen")
C♯4/D♭4 ("New Mind")
C4: ("Fool" live A Long Slow Screw, "She Loves Us", "Thug")

Significant Low Notes:

B2: ("Angels of Light", "Miracle of Love", "Screenshot", "(She's A) Universal Emptiness")
A♯2/B♭2: ("Anything for You", "Blind", "Blood Promise", "Love Will Save You", "Mother of the World", "My Sister Said", "She Lives!", "Stupid Child")
A2: ( "Avatar", "Failure", "Let It Come Down", "Like a Drug (Sha La La La)", "Little Mouth", "Love Will Tear Us Apart", "Lunacy", "Mona Lisa, Mother Earth", "Mother of the World", "Some Things We Do", "The Daughter Brings the Water", "To Be Kind", "Where Does a Body End?)
G♯2/A♭2: ("A Hanging", "A Piece of the Sky", "Anything for You", "Better than You", "Blood Promise", "Under Pressure")
G2: ("Amnesia", "Avatar", "Better than You", "God Loves America", "Her", "Jim", "Let It Come Down", "Love of Life", "Love Will Save You", "Not Here/Not Now", "Real Love", "Saved", "See No More", "(She's A) Universal Emptiness", "The River that Runs with Love Won't Run Dry", "The Sound of Freedom", "The Wolf", "Will We Survive", "You Know Nothing", "You're Not Real, Girl")
F♯2/G♭2: ("A Screw", "Angels of Light", "Just A Little Boy")
E2: ("Alcohol the Seed", "Another You", "Fool", "God Damn the Sun", "Jane Mary, Cry One Tear", "Let it Come Down", "Love Will Tear Us Apart", "Miracle of Love", "My Suicide", "New City in the Future", "Our Love Lies", "See No More", "Sex, God, Sex", "To Be Kind", "Trust Me", "You're Not Real, Girl")
D♯2/E♭2: ("A Hanging", "Blind Love", "Trust Me")
D2: ("Another You", "Better than You", "Blind", "Blind Love", "Crooked", "Failure", "Forever Yours", "God Loves America", "Golden Boy Swallowed by the Sea", "Her", "In the Eyes of the Nation", "Jane Mary, "Just A Little Boy", Cry One Tear", "Little Mouth", "Love Will Tear Us Apart", "Love Will Save You", "Miracle of Love", "New City in the Future", "New York Girls", "Power and Sacrifice", "Real Love", "Saved", "Sex, God, Sex",  "Some Things We Do", "The Daughter Brings the Water", "The Seer",  "The Seer Returns, "The Sound of Freedom", "The Wolf", "Toussaint L'Ouverture" live, "When Will I Return", "You Know Nothing")
C♯2/D♭2: ("God's Servant", "Inside Madeline")
C2: ("Fool", "Golden Boy Swallowed by the Sea", "Her", "Little Mouth", "My Suicide", "New York Girls", "Sex, God, Sex", "The Wolf")
B1: ("Coward", "Jackie's Spine", "New City in the Future", "Sex, God, Sex")
A♯1/B♭1 ("Praise Your Name")
A1: ("Coward", "New York Girls")
G♯1/A♭1: ("Under Pressure")

Blue denotes falsetto notes.
Italics denotes non-sung/spoken notes.
Green denotes shouted/screamed/harsh notes.
Underlines denotes backing vocals/harmonies/obscured notes.

Last edited by glds on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am; edited 26 times in total

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Michael Gira

Post  Holsety on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Did you ask Zedd before you posted this by chance?
Holsety
Admin

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:18 pm

Eh would it be in bad taste and manners if I said no? Embarassed

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:23 pm

That might be a problem...Zedd's thread has actually been updated at least somewhat recently (last November). Plus he's still an active user.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:25 pm

If an active user occupies a thread there's no reason to restart it. The whole point of 'restarting threads' in the first place was so mods didn't have to go in and edit in all the research people are doing, and not for users to claim whatever names they feel they deserve.
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Yeah this wasn't the greatest of moves. It was updated after I posted there after a period of inactivity on the thread and he added the note I posted there (I actually mispitched it at first too which is also embarrassing, but I edited the correct pitch, but he still has the incorrect pitch on the thread). Regardless, I saw there was a lot of missing notes and the thread was really empty, missing pretty much 99% of the material honestly. I thought I'd make a "final" complete thread since I know I have the time and dedication to actually listen to all the material.

Oh, the reason I restarted it was because I don't really know how active he is or how much time he has to do this. If you'd like, we can still dump this thread.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:31 pm

glds wrote:Yeah this wasn't the greatest of moves. It was updated after I posted there after a period of inactivity on the thread and he added the note I posted there (I actually mispitched it at first too which is also embarrassing, but I edited the correct pitch, but he still has the incorrect pitch on the thread). Regardless, I saw there was a lot of missing notes and the thread was really empty, missing pretty much 99% of the material honestly. I thought I'd make a "final" complete thread since I know I have the time and dedication to actually listen to all the material.

Oh, the reason I restarted it was because I don't really know how active he is or how much time he has to do this. If you'd like, we can still dump this thread.

I do think this should be trashed, but I'm sure Zedd would appreciate whatever contributions you make to his thread. Nobody's posted on it since November; I'm sure he'll come back to it once someone shows interest.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Holsety on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 pm

You could have gone ahead and posted the research on the thread anyway. TRP used to be people pitching in to various threads without worrying about who owned it, so why don't we encourage that more and less constantly restarting threads and discouraging discussion?
Holsety
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Sure thing, boss. In the mean time, I'll shoot Zedd a message and see if he still even has interest in the thread in the first place. Also, the picture I chose is better than his. Smile

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:27 pm

I did intend to update my Gira thread more thoroughly because it is indeed incomplete, but in all honesty it's certainly more thorough than what you have here. Starting the highs at E4 really?

Gira's not admittedly my main focus for note watching right now and as you know I have a LOT of threads. Because of this I encourage other moderators to add notes that other users post that are verified as accurate, but I do realize it's not always realistic that each thread will be updated consistently. What I'll suggest for you is to note watch a few albums and PM me what you find in each song, I'll likely do some verifying myself and then add the notes for you. A PM works best because I get a notification for them of sorts, but you can also inquire about notes you're unsure about in the main thread too. Let's try to start making it more of a team effort than doing it all solo, ey? Do keep in mind that it might take up to a day for me to get back to you just because I have a much more busy schedule now than I did a year ago but I check the site every day pretty much so it's not a hassle to add notes.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Sure thing buddy. I didn't intend to start the highs at E4. I was gonna drop it down to C4 when the time came. But I didn't have any notes that I knew specifically and were 100% confirmed to my own ear. I was also gonna move lows up to B2. But again, same case.

I was intending on starting entirely new, and not using any of your previous work, not because I didn't trust your work, but just for the virtue of doing quality work and knowing each note. I already knew the existence of most of the notes I listed which is why I specifically just went into the songs and confirmed them, and then added them (as opposed to actually notewatching the albums). I definitely intended to drop the highs and raise the lows, once I began avidly notewatching and actually found those notes.

Also, just to clarify, like you said, this is absolutely incomplete. Like, I did this in ~5 minutes? These were notes based off of just what I remembered and sought specifically lmao, no album notewatching. I intended to continue to update and edit this over the course of a month while I notewatched all his work and a good amount of live shows. I wouldn't use this as a barometer because this was literally just a template to get things going. It's embarrassing knowing that you think this is the quality I'd shoot for in a thread, because it absolutely is not.

Pardon me for just making a new thread without asking, because it looked like the thread was abandoned for almost a year, save from me posting that one thing. Also, hype for new album coming this year.

I'll PM you the work I do for each album, starting with To Be Kind backwards.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Well I don't follow what threads you make very closely so I don't know what your standards for threads are tbh, but I understand this was just a start. Thing is, I can assure you that most all the notes in my OP are accurate but should you ever find an exception feel free to let me know. Btw I don't hear any A1 in The Wolf but we can go over those things in the other thread and through private messages at times too.

For now I'll close this thread but since you seem willing to put a lot of effort into the thread I'm willing to help you do that by updating my other OP whenever I have the time. Just understand that as long as an OP is helmed by an active user, it cannot be replaced without their permission.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun May 29, 2016 7:35 am

Zedd Squared wrote:
Yeah I've given it more thought and I suppose there's no reason why you can't take over the thread at this point. Funnily enough when I started the thread I suspected that it would gain little interest from most of the forum but lo and behold it's actually attracted a fair bit of attention. I'm not in the mood to listen to Swans often enough to get the thread fully updated nor am I currently feeling like updating the OP now that I think of it.

HOWEVER, personally I'd advise you to keep the notes I already have listed in the OP so that it doesn't look as empty as your last one did since it was only new additions/what you had already heard yourself. Feel free to adjust what's listed as you listen through all the albums but it looks a lot better to add what you've discovered to what I found too. I'll move my thread to retired threads and your old one back into the WIP section.

Reposting this in here so people understand the context of me handing this thread back over to glds. Good luck man.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:33 pm

New album leaked, there's some solid B1's in Cloud of Unknowing
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:46 am

Decided not to listen to the leak. I was just gonna wait for the official release for some arbitrary reason. Probably just gonna wait for FLAC. Thanks for the note though! Have something to listen for now too.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:34 am

Maybe "Sex Death Baritone" for voice type? I mention it because he once said that he had to find that "sex death" spot in his lower intestines to do some of the early Swans vocals or something similar.
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top