Away - Breaking Benjamin cover ( need some opinion about the singing part)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Away - Breaking Benjamin cover ( need some opinion about the singing part)

Post  Jack-OF-Blades on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi everyone ! I'm currently working with some friends on a cover of the song Away by Breaking Benjamin, and something are bothering me about my vocals on it. ( for example, I feel like I tried too hard on the " Away" during the bridge, and on the last one )
I'd like to have some external opinions about that, because I never know if it's just me being overly critical abut my own voice or if I'm just right and it's not good enought.
https://soundcloud.com/nicolas-p-991437515/away-breaking-benjamin-test

Thanks in advance !
Jack-OF-Blades

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfmzt22EmvsXEyyManBVqAg

Back to top Go down

Re: Away - Breaking Benjamin cover ( need some opinion about the singing part)

Post  glds on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Work on that inflection, by far the worst part. Pitch is pretty damn good, but some of the harmonies/doubletracking feels iffy and could probably use another take. Dig the high notes at the end. The second "away" did feel sort of out of place, but it still felt decent enough to not ruin the experience or anything. Keep it up man.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack-OF-Blades on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Thank you for the feedback, agreed on the harmonies, will work on that. And by "inflexion", you mean when I try to get higher on the two " away" ( the one during the bridge and the last one ?).
And what did you think of the sequencing of the different sentences which are composing the chorus ? ( sorry about my english ^^)

Again, thanks a lot for listening to it and taking the time to give me your opinion, I really appreciate it. Also, have a nice day !
Jack-OF-Blades

Back to top Go down

Post  karmapolice on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:27 am

Stop compressing your voice with abdominals to produce higher and more aggressive notes. Your voice is thin even for your type of voice, which is caused by your technique.
Other than that, your best cover. I can hear Chester Bennington influence in all the smallest nuances of your singing. Consider expanding your influences with more baritones.

karmapolice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack-OF-Blades on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:43 am

Hey thanks for the feedback ( and for listening to it).
I still have a lot to learn about singing and my technique is far from being perfect of course ( i'm taking singing lesson since a few month so that isn't that much), what do you mean exactly by voice compression with abdominals ? I agree that I have a natural thin voice. And by the way, just by curiosity, in what vocal classification do you think I belong ? ( not that it matters, just curiosity and to compare with what others people told me).

And great job, Chester is indeed one of my favorite singer and there are cover of mine where people told me that I sound a bit like him.
I try to diversify my influence ( i'm working on some A7X song at home and I believe Matt Shadows is a baritone ?), but I have a lot of progress to make.

Jack-OF-Blades

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:16 am

Inflection is how you enunciate, speak, and produce sound. A lot of the words felt slurred and awkward. Work on speaking drills.

Also, M. Shadows is a baritone, but I wouldn't really say that should make it easier for you to sing. He's got the range of a tenor and pretty much is constantly singing in the upper range of a tenor.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack-OF-Blades on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:24 am

Ah, yes , I see. I'm working on that too, since english isn't my native language I have some trouble with it ^^' Thanks for your honesty, I'll do my best to improve in that regard.

Ah okay, yes you are right. Do you have any example of baritone singer who could possibly influence me in a good way ?
Jack-OF-Blades

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:35 am

Try singing some Frank Sinatra. The guy had incredible control and mastery of his voice, so it'd be good to try to pick up some of his good habits.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karmapolice on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:50 am

No problem. You push with abdominis muscle in order to sing higher/stronger notes. Which is also a reason why your upper-middle range is disconnected from your comfortable middle notes. Try singing 2-3x quieter and you'll understand how to improve there.
You're a higher tenor, btw.

glds wrote:M. Shadows is a baritone, but I wouldn't really say that should make it easier for you to sing. He's got the range of a tenor and pretty much is constantly singing in the upper range of a tenor.
I think the main goal is to get familiar with more diverse palette of vocal manners. Sinatra is a good choice.

karmapolice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack-OF-Blades on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:18 am

Oh thanks for the advice and the explanation. Should I relax my abdominal muscles when trying to reach higher notes then ?
i'll train myself over some Sinatra's song then, thanks for your great advices both of you.
Jack-OF-Blades

Back to top Go down

Post  karmapolice on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:25 am

Yes.

karmapolice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top