Robb Flynn

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Robb Flynn

Post  Sandblasted on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Voice Type: Descend the Shades of Baritone
Recorded Vocal Range: B♭1-E♭5

Higher Notes:

• E♭5 ("All Falls Down")
  • D5 ("Desire to Fire", "I'm Your God Now", "In the Presence of My Enemies", "Pearls Before the Swine", "Spine", "Ten Ton Hammer")
  • C♯5 ("Be Still and Know", "Blistering", "Devil With the King's Card", "Down to None", "Elegy", "Message in A Bottle", "Now I Lay Thee Down", "Silver", "Supercharger", "Who We Are", "Wipe the Tears", "Wolves")
  • C5 ("A Farewell To Arms", "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "I Am Hell (Sonata in C♯)", "Slanderous", "White-Knuckle Blackout!")
  • B4 ("Aesthetics of Hate", "Be Still and Know", "Beautiful Mourning", "Blank Generation", "Bulldozer", "Clenching the Fists of Dissent", "Crashing Around You", "Deafening Silence", "Desire to Fire", "Die Young", "Exhale the Vile", "Five", "From This Day", "I Am Hell (Sonata in C♯)", "Is There Anybody Out There?", "Locust", "Nausea", "Nothing Left", "Pearls Before the Swine", "Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies", "Sail Into the Black", "The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears", "The Burning Red", "The Sentinel", "This is the End", "Trephination", "Vim")
  • B♭4 ("All Falls Down", "Deafening Silence", "I Defy", "Spine")
  • A4 ("Beautiful Mourning", "Darkness Within", "Die Young", "Desire to Fire", "Five", "Halo", "I Am Hell (Sonata in C♯)", "Nothing Left", "Pearls Before the Swine", "Seasons Wither", "Supercharger", "The Frontlines", "The Sentinel", "This is the End", "Who We Are")
  • G♯4 ("Be Still and Know", "Blistering", "Block", "Blood of the Zodiac", "Days Turn Blue to Gray", "Devil With the King's Card", "Die Young", "Elegy", "From This Day", "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Halo", "I Am Hell (Sonata in C♯)", "I'm Your God Now", "Imperium", "Kick You When You're Down", "Left Unfinished", "Message in A Bottle", "Nausea", "Pearls Before the Swine", "Only the Names", "Silver", "Struck a Nerve", "Take My Scars", "Vim", "Wipe the Tears")
  • G4 ("A Farewell To Arms", "A Nation on Fire", "A Thousand Lies", "Beautiful Mourning", "Blood of the Zodiac", "Bulldozer", "Clenching the Fists of Dissent", "Darkness Within", "Davidian", "Death Church", "Descend the Shades of Night", "Devil With the King's Card", "I'm Your God Now", "Is There Anybody Out There?", "Locust", "None But My Own", "Now I Lay Thee Down", "Old", "Sail Into the Black", "Seasons Wither", "Slanderous", "The Rage to Overcome", "Violate", "White-Knuckle Blackout!", "Wolves")
  • F♯4 ("A Farewell To Arms", "A Nation on Fire", "Aesthetics of Hate", "All Falls Down", "All in Your Head", "American High", "Bay of Pigs", "Beautiful Mourning", "Bite the Bullet", "Blank Generation", "Blood of the Zodiac", "Clenching the Fists of Dissent", "Crashing Around You", "Darkness Within", "Davidian", "Deafening Silence", "Declaration", "Descend the Shades of Night", "Desire to Fire", "Down to None", "Elegy", "Exhale the Vile", "Five", "From This Day", "I Am Hell (Sonata in C♯)", "In the Presence of My Enemies", "Is There Anybody Out There?", "Kick You When You're Down", "Left Unfinished", "Pearls Before the Swine", "Silver", "Spine", "Struck a Nerve", "Supercharger", "Ten Ton Hammer", "The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears", "The Sentinel", "This is the End", "Trephination", "Vim", "Violate", "Who We Are", "Wolves")

Lower Notes:

• C♯3 ("A Farewell To Arms", "Aesthetics of Hate", "All Falls Down", "Deafening Silence", "Desire to Fire", "Devil With the King's Card", "Die Young", "I Defy", "Is There Anybody Out There?", "Left Unfinished", "Message in A Bottle", "Nausea", "Only the Names", "Seasons Wither", "Spine", "Take My Scars", "The Burning Red", "Vim")
  • C3 ("Damage Inside", "None But My Own", "The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears", "Trephination", "Violate")
  • B2 ("A Farewell To Arms", "Blank Generation", "Clenching the Fists of Dissent", "Darkness Within", "Descend the Shades of Night", "Desire to Fire", "Devil With the King's Card", "Die Young", "Elegy", "From This Day", "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Is There Anybody Out There?", "Nothing Left", "Only The Names", "Sail Into the Black", "Silver", "Slanderous", "The Burning Red", "Trephination", "Violate", "White-Knuckle Blackout!")
  • B♭2 ("All Falls Down", "Damage Inside")
  • A2 ("Descend the Shades of Night", "Five", "I'm Your God Now", "In the Presence of My Enemies", "Message in A Bottle", "The Frontlines")
  • G♯2 ("Damage Inside", "Devil With the King's Card", "Old", "Wipe the Tears")
  • G2 ("Damage Inside", "Descend the Shades of Night")
  • F♯2 ("Blood of the Zodiac", "Darkness Within")
  • F2 ("I'm Your God Now", "The Rage to Overcome")
  • E♭2 ("Supercharger")
  • C♯2 ("I Am Hell (Sonata in C♯)")
  • C2 ("Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies")
  • B1 ("Bulldozer", "Sail Into the Black")
  • B♭1 (Demonstrating a "Gregorian chant" ["Sail Into the Black" Spotify Commentary])

*Underlines mark notes in backing vocals or otherwise muffled/obscured in the mix
*Blue marks soft/clear falsetto notes.
*Green marks highly distorted screams.
*Grey marks heavily fryish yet solidly pitched notes.
*Italics mark spoken notes.

The vocalist/guitarist for groove metal (and at one point nu metal) band Machine Head as well as ex-guitarist for Bay Area thrash band Vio-lence. Flynn usually employs a gritty "tough guy" style that has drawn comparisons to the likes of Phil Anselmo and Burton C. Bell, however on Machine Head's first two releases he used it in a more melodic sense compared to others in that style, an aspect he began using less in favour of a more standard "hardcore" shouting delivery (although he still has some strong gritty melodic moments here and there as well, usually to put in some extra power for his G♯4 area). He is also capable of some fairly impressive cleaner belting as well (best heard in the climax of "Spine" and the covers of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Die Young"), an aspect fairly rarely utilized in comparison, typically only used for the emotional "money note" moments. His lows are fairly strong and used fairly consistently in comparison to his usual style, although it seems likely he has more potential in this area than he's currently demonstrated given "Sail Into the Black". While Flynn has been at it for quite a while, it seems as Machine Head has gone on over the years Robb keeps making more and more use of his overall range, so as the band continues it will be interesting to see what new heights he may go to.

Last edited by Sandblasted on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sandblasted

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Blastdude

Back to top Go down

Re: Robb Flynn

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:02 am

Great job! I was wondering if you were still note-watching him or not.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top