Is using distortion too much detrimental to muh cords?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is using distortion too much detrimental to muh cords?

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 am

Dumb Trp question time! Dance
Anyways, as of late I've been lazy and relying almost soley on a shoutier, false-chord distortion for any note above A4. Straight forward enough; is that going to anhilate my cords any further? To clarify some extra factors though, I use enough support for the more distorted stuff, and I don't feel any pain or discomfort when I've done it, even after a few hours straight of doing it. I'm just concerned, before I proceed. Thank's
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is using distortion too much detrimental to muh cords?

Post  thatsmad on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Dumb Trp question time! Dance
Anyways, as of late I've been lazy and relying almost soley on a shoutier, false-chord distortion for any note above A4. Straight forward enough; is that going to anhilate my cords any further? To clarify some extra factors though, I use enough support for the more distorted stuff, and I don't feel any pain or discomfort when I've done it, even after a few hours straight of doing it. I'm just concerned, before I proceed. Thank's

I think if you make sure not to mix the false chord and the singing into the same note too much you should be good but idk about any long term effects like if you did it for years. Just make an effort to separate the two and it should be fine imo

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:27 pm

Using distortion is not so much the problem. The problem is the fact that you can conceal bad and unhealthy habits by making them inaudible and unable to be felt by your cords due to uncongealing nature of distortion. I've worked with singers singing up to F5 in a full voice with false cord distortion. After asking them to sing without false cord, some of them can't even try to sing the same note, and if they do, it's often very strained and not healthy. False cord isn't bad per say, but it can delude you from how you're actually singing.

So long as you are not promoting bad habits, you should be okay. But again, you may not always know what you're singing badly because of the distortion. Be careful.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top