Devin Townsend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Devin Townsend

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:34 am

Note: Please go here for the current version of this thread.

Voice Type: Heartfelt Canuck Metal Tenor
Vocal Range: G1-E♭7
RLNA Rating: 7.0/10

High Notes:

• E♭7 ("Still My Bleeding Heart")
  • D7 ("Larry's O")
  • B6 ("Critic", "Survive")
  • B♭6 ("Happy Camper (Carpe B.U.M.)")
  • A6 ("Just Cartilege", "Still My Bleeding Heart")
  • G♯6 ("Thing Beyond Things")
  • E6 ("Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain")
  • E♭6 ("Aftermath", "Poltergeist")
  • C6 ("Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain", "Home Nucleonics", "Still My Bleeding Heart")
  • B5 ("Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain", "Juular", "Vampira")
  • B♭5 ("Dirty Black Hole", "Oh My Fucking God", "Regulator", "Shitstorm", "Shout at the Devil", "We Ride")
  • A5 ("Bring On the Young", "Centipede", "Consequence", "Dirty Black Hole", "Exciter", "Force Fed", "Here & Now", "Home Nucleonics" live, "Pig", "Shitstorm")
  • G♯5 ("Critic", "Day Eight: School", "Dirt Pride", "Earth Day", "Goat", "Home Nucleonics", "Japan", "Just Cartilege", "Metal Dilemma", "Natural Science", "Oh My Fucking God", "Poltergeist", "Regulator", "Stand", "The Death of Music", "Underneath the Waves", "Wrong Side")
  • G5 ("All Hail the New Flesh", "Antiproduct", "Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain", "Bring on the Young", "Death", "Detox" demo, "Dirty Black Hole", "Earth Day" live Safe Zone DVD 2006, "Exciter", "Happy Camper (Carpe B.U.M.)", "Hide Nowhere", "Last Minute", "New York, New York", "Pig", "Pixillate", "Poltergeist", "Rape Song", "Recipe For Bait", "Shine", "Shitstorm", "Shout at the Devil", "Storm", "Sunset", "Thalamus", "The Filler: Sweet City Jesus", "The Mighty Masturbator", "Vampira", "Victim", "Wrong Side")
  • F♯5 ("Black Star Deceiver", "Bring on the Young", "Consequence", "Day Sixteen: Loser", "DECONSTRUCTING BADGERS", "Deconstruction", "Dirty Black Hole", "Dynamics", "Exciter", "Ez$$", "Goat", "Heatwave", "Heavy Metal Mama", "In My Dreams with You", "Larry's O", "Madd at My Dadd", "Natural Science", "Pandemic", "Poltergeist", "Possessions", "Rape Song", "Sex & Religion", "Skin Me", "Stand", "Still My Bleeding Heart", "Suicide", "Survive", "Supercrush!", "The Complex", "The Filler: Sweet City Jesus", "The Last One", "Touching Tongues", "Woah No!", "Zodiac")
  • F5 ("Aftermath", "As You Were", "Deadhead", "Deconstruction", "Devour", "Exciter", "Ez$$", "Far Beyond Metal", "Heaven's End", "Imperial", "Jupiter", "Last Minute", "Lucky Animals", "My Girl", "Of Blood and Salt", "Praise the Lowered", "Regulator", "Sex & Religion", "Shitstorm", "Since Forgotten", "Skeksis", "Stand", "Sumeria", "Thalamus", "The Last One", "Wild Colonial Boy", "Woah No!", "You Suck", "Zen")
  • E5 ("All Hail the New Flesh", "Almost Again", "Bend It Like Bender!", "Centipede", "Consequence", "Crusty's At the Ivanhoe", "Death", "Deconstruction", "Depth Charge", "Dirty Black Hole", "Down Deep into the Pain", "Dynamics", "Earth Day", "Exciter", "Ez$$", "Funeral", "Happy Camper (Carpe B.U.M.)", "Heavy Metal Mama", "Here & Now", "Hide Nowhere", "Hope", "Japan", "Just Cartilage", "Larry's O", "Natural Science", "Night", "Oats Peas Beans & Barley", "Pandemic", "Pig", "Pixillate", "Planet Rain", "Possessions", "Rape Song", "Regulator", "Shitstorm", "Sinner", "S.Y.L.", "Thalamus", "The Filler: Sweet City Jesus", "The Lost Chord", "The Mighty Masturbator", "War", "Whoa No!", "Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!")
  • E♭5 ("As You Were", "Bastard", "Believe", "Bring on the Young", "Consequence", "Deadhead", "Deconstruction", "Depth Charge", "Detox", "Earth Day", "Ez$$", "Far Beyond Metal", "Hold On", "Home Nucleonics", "In My Dreams with You", "Material", "Metal Dilemma", "Monday", "Namaste", "Natural Science", "Pandemic", "Poltergeist", "Sex & Religion", "Skeksis", "Stand", "Still My Bleeding Heart", "Sumeria", "The Death of Music", "The Lost Chord", "The Mighty Masturbator", "The New Black", "The Way Home", "Touching Tongues", "Violated", "War")
  • D5 ("A Simple Lullaby", "Aftermath", "All Hail the New Flesh", "Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain", "Blackberry", "Christine", "Crusty's at the Ivanhoe", "Cry Forever", "Decimator", "Deconstruction", "Detox", "Devour", "Dirty Black Hole", "Drizzlehell", "Exciter", "Ez$$", "Far Beyond Metal", "Fucker", "Gato", "Happy Camper (Carpe B.U.M.)", "Heart Baby", "Heavy Metal Mama", "Hope", "Love?", "Monument", "Natural Science", "Nobody's Here", "Planet of the Apes", "Poltergeist", "Recipe for Bait", "Shitstorm", "Stagnant", "Storm", "Sumeria", "Survive", "The Fluke", "The Mighty Masturbator", "Trainfire", "Underneath the Waves", "Universal", "Wallet Chain", "We Ride", "Wrong Side", "You Suck", "Zen", "Ziltoid Goes Home", "Zodiac")
  • C♯5 ("Antiproduct", "As You Were", "Awake!!", "Bring on the Young", "Centipede", "Color Your World", "Consequence", "Crusty's at the Ivanhoe", "Deconstruction", "Depth Charge", "Dimension Z", "Dirt Pride", "Earth Day", "Exciter", "Force Fed", "Friends", "Fucker", "Funeral", "Ghost", "Here & Now", "In the Rainy Season", "Japan", "Jupiter", "Just Cartilege", "Metal Dilemma", "More!", "Mountain", "Namaste", "Notes from Africa", "Oats Peas Beans & Barley", "Pandemic", "Picture of Myself", "Planet of the Apes", "Planet Rain", "Poltergeist", "Possessions", "Sex & Religion", "Shitstorm", "Silent Militia", "Stand", "S.Y.L.", "Thalamus", "The Death of Music", "The Mind Wasp", "Touching Tongues", "Universal", "Wandering Eye", "Whoa No!", "You Suck", "Zen", "Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!", "Ziltoid Goes Home")
  • C5 ("AAA", "Addicted!", "Aftermath", "All Hail the New Flesh", "Almost Again", "Canada", "Color Your World", "Consequence", "Critic", "Deathray", "Deathscope", "Detox", "Devour", "Dirt Pride", "Down Deep into the Pain", "Earth", "Earth Day", "Fake Punk", "Fallout", "Far Beyond Metal", "Force Fed", "Fucker", "Gaia", "Grace", "Heart Baby", "Ih-Ah!", "Judgement", "Kingdom", "Love Tonight", "Lucky Animals", "Material", "Metal Heads are Punk Rockers", "Monument", "New York, New York", "Night", "Numbered!", "Oats Peas Beans & Barley", "Pandemic", "Pixillate", "Praise the Lowered", "Random Analysis", "Regulator", "Resolve!", "Shine", "Slow Me Down", "Stagnant", "Storm", "Suicide", "Sunday Afternoon", "Survive", "The Mighty Masturbator", "The New Black", "Traveller", "Triumph", "Underneath the Waves", "Universal", "Universe in a Ball!", "Wallet Chain", "Wandering Eye", "We Ride", "Where We Belong", "Wrong Side", "Zen")
  • B4 ("AAA", "Aftermath", "Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain", "Bastard", "Centipede", "Consequence", "Crusty's at the Ivanhoe", "Deathscope", "Death", "Detox", "Dimension Z", "Dirt Pride", "Fake Punk", "Far Beyond Metal", "Force Fed", "Funeral", "Gato", "Grace", "Heavy Metal Mama", "Heinous Anus", "Home Nucleonics", "In My Dreams with You", "In the Rainy Season", "Japan", "Jupiter", "Just Cartilege", "Larry's O", "Last Minute", "March of the Poozers", "Metal Dilemma", "Metal Heads are Punk Rockers", "Monday", "More!", "Natural Science", "Picture of Myself", "Pig", "Planet of the Apes", "Planet Rain", "Poltergeist", "Possessions", "Quietus", "Random Analysis", "Rape Song", "Recipe for Bait", "Relentless", "Shine", "Skeksis", "Stand", "Storm", "Supercrush!", "S.Y.L.", "Thalamus", "The Complex", "The Death of Music", "The Filler: Sweet City Jesus", "The Fluke", "The Greys", "The Mighty Masturbator", "The Way Home!", "Things Beyond Things", "Trainfire", "Two Weeks", "Vampira", "Victim", "Underneath the Waves", "You Suck", "Ziltoidian Empire")
  • B♭4 ("A Simple Lullaby", "AAA", "All Hail the New Flesh", "As You Were", "Awake!!", "Bend It Like Bender!", "Bring on the Young", "Color Your World", "Consequence", "Deadhead", "Deconstruction", "Depth Charge", "Detox", "Devour", "Earth Day", "Exciter", "Fallout", "Far Beyond Metal", "Gaia", "Gato", "Goat", "Heaven's End", "Imperial", "Irish Maiden", "Judgement", "Let it Roll", "Life", "Love?", "Love Tonight", "Material", "Metal Heads are Punk Rockers", "Monument", "Namaste", "Nobody's Here", "Numbered!", "Pixillate", "Poltergeist", "Planet Smasher", "Possessions", "Random Analysis", "Rape Song", "Recipe for Bait", "Shitstorm", "Spirituality", "Stand", "Still My Bleeding Heart", "Suicide", "Sumeria", "Sunday Afternoon", "S.Y.L.", "The Mighty Masturbator", "The New Black", "Traveller", "Triumph", "True North", "Wallet Chain", "You Suck", "Zen", "Ziltoid Goes Home")
  • A4 ("AAA", "Aftermath", "Almost Again", "Bring on the Young", "Centipede", "Critic", "Cry Forever", "Dark Matters", "Death", "Deconstruction", "Deep Peace", "Depth Charge", "Detox", "Devoid", "Disruptr", "Down Deep into the Pain", "Fake Punk", "Feather", "Force Fed", "Fucker", "Goat", "Heavy Metal Mama", "Heinous Anus", "Here & Now", "Imperial", "In the Rainy Season", "Irish Maiden", "Jupiter", "Kingdom", "Larry's O", "Last Minute", "Little Pig", "Love?", "Lucky Animals", "March of the Poozers", "Monday", "New York, New York", "Night", "Pandemic", "Picture of Myself", "Planet of the Apes", "Planet Rain", "Possessions", "Quietus", "Random Analysis", "Save Our Now", "Skeksis", "Survive", "S.Y.L.", "The Filler: Sweet City Jesus", "The Fluke", "The Greys", "The Mind Wasp", "The Mighty Masturbator", "Traveller", "Universal", "Velvet Kevorkian", "Victim", "Voices in the Fan", "We Ride", "Whoa No!", "Ziltoid Goes Home")
  • G♯4 ("Addicted!", "All Hail the New Flesh", "Awake!!", "Bend It Like Bender!", "Centipede", "Color Your World", "Critic", "Dimension Z", "Disruptr", "Earth Day", "Greetings", "Heaven's End", "Heinous Anus", "Kingdom", "Larry's O", "Liberation", "Life", "Lucky Animals", "Monument", "Oh My Fucking God", "Planet of the Apes", "Praise the Lowered", "Quietus", "Random Analysis", "Relentless", "Socialization", "Spirituality", "Still My Bleeding Heart", "Sumeria", "Thalamus", "The Mighty Masturbator", "Triumph", "True North", "The Complex", "Trainfire", "Zen")

Low Notes:

• C3 ("3 A.M.", "Babysong", "Deadhead", "Deep Peace", "Demon League", "Depth Charge", "Drizzlehell", "Earth Day", "Feather", "Forgive Me", "Gaia", "Hold On", "Humble", "Hyperdrive!", "In the Rainy Season", "Juular", "Ki", "Kingdom", "Let it Roll", "Mountaintop", "Planet Rain", "Polyphony", "Random Analysis", "Room 429", "Seventh Wave", "Solar Winds", "Spirituality", "Stagnant", "Stand", "Sunday Afternoon", "Suicide", "Thing Beyond Things", "Tiny Tears", "Traveller", "Universal", "Velvet Kevorkian" live tape intro, "Wandering Eye", "Where We Belong")
  • B2 ("Believe", "Lady Helen", "Love and Marriage", "Moon", "Seams", "Skin Me", "Slow Me Down", "The Mighty Masturbator", "Trainfire", "Wandering Eye")
  • B♭2 ("As You Were", "Deadhead", "Effervescent!", "Fly", "Nobody's Here", "Planet of the Apes", "Praise the Lowered", "Rain City", "Seams", "Solar Winds", "Spirituality", "S.Y.L.", "Two Weeks")
  • A2 ("Antiproduct", "Demon League", "Epicloud", "Feather", "Gone is Gone", "Ih-Ah!", "Ki", "Lady Helen", "Moon", "Planet of the Apes", "Planet Rain", "Room 429", "The Mind Wasp")
  • G♯2 ("A Ziltoidian Rapture", "Awake!!", "Believe", "Heaven Send", "In My Dreams with You", "Socialization", "The Last One", "The Lost Chord")
  • G2 ("AAA", "Deep Peace", "Effervescent!", "Forever", "Hold On", "Ih-Ah!", "Ki", "Nobody's Here", "Pixillate", "Planet Smasher", "Quiet Riot", "Radial Highway", "Sunday Afternoon", "Sunset", "The Mighty Masturbator")
  • F♯2 ("Hope", "Stand", "Vampira")
  • F2 ("Ascent to the Summit of Black Mountain", "Feather", "Forgotten", "Japan", "Juular", "Shitstorm", "Thing", "Wandering Eye")
  • E2 ("AAA", "Ih-Ah!" live By A Thread, "Gone is Gone", "The Mighty Masturbator", "Thing")
  • E♭2 ("AAA" demo, "Forgotten", "From Sleep Awake", "Stand", "Ziltoidia Attaxx")
  • D2 ("Deconstruction", "Disruptr", "Earth", "Seams")
  • C♯2 ("A Ziltoidian Rapture", "Deathscope")
  • C2 ("Deathray", "Forgotten")
  • G1 ("Forgotten")

*Underlines mark notes that are obscured in the song mix.
*Grey marks prominent vocal fry notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
*Blue marks soft falsetto notes or whistle screams.

What can you say? It's Devin fucking Townsend! Not only is he one of the coolest dudes in modern heavy music but he's also not afraid to do whatever the hell he wants be it country, death metal, new age, or pop. Vocally we all know he has an utterly insane high range capable of being soft, dramatic and vibrato laden, all out screaming, or any shade inbetween. In addition to this though he's made more and more use of his low range over the years to the point where it's become a regular feature of his style. Check out songs like Thing, Ih-Ah, or Forever to get a good taste of that and while you're at it listen to the rest of his discography too because you've been putting it off too long (let's face it you know you have).

DISCLAIMER: While this OP looks pretty huge, it's undergoing considerable revision primarily by Sandblasted  and myself. All albums are being rechecked. As always you can all offer your own verdicts on certain notes or share anything else you find since the guy has tons of bonus material to check too.

Voice type by Sandblasted.

Last edited by Zedd Squared on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:31 pm; edited 10 times in total
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Devin Townsend

Post  glds on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:07 pm

LOL DID YOU REALLY ADD AN RLNA RATING? I thought you were joking. Razz

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zedd Squared on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Yeah I've done that with a handful of threads now. It's just for my own arbitrary amusement though, but anyone who wants to join in is free to!
Zedd Squared
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:25 am

Best-of list GO
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:34 am

Ending, How high?
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:48 am

Ooo, how did I miss this. Surprised looks good Zedd
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:34 am

Mmm
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm

0:36 some strong highs

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:55 pm

What a breathtaking song. I need to pay more attention to the demos. And look, the outro to Mighty Masturbator Smile
Rodney Razorshorts
Range Destroyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:08 am

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodney Razorshorts on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:59 am