B4: "He Arose"
A4: "I'm At Your Mercy"
G♯4: "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name", "In the Garden"
G4: "View That Holy City"
F♯4: "He Arose", "I'm At Your Mercy", "In the Garden", "My Soul Is Anchored"
F4: "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name", "You Fight On"
E4: "I'm At Your Mercy", "My Soul Is Anchored"
E♭4: "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name", "You Fight On"
C♯4: "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name", "He Arose", "I'm At Your Mercy", "In the Garden", "My Soul Is Anchored", "When I Survey/Old Rugged Cross"
C4: "Softly and Tenderly", "You Fight On"

Significant Low Notes:

F♯2: "Inspiration", "When I Survey/Old Rugged Cross"
F2: "Blessed Assurance", "God Inhabits Our Praise", "I Have A Friend", "Just As I Am"
E2: "Amazing Grace", "He Did It Again", "My Soul Is Anchored", "Tell Me Something That I Don't Know"
E♭2: "And My God Will Meet All Your Needs", "Criminal On the Cross", "Get To the Point", "I Can Rejoice", "In the Garden", "It Is Well", "Softly and Tenderly"
D2: "Elijah Rock", Holy, Holy, Holy", "If There Were No God", "It Is Well"
C♯2: "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name", "Criminal On the Cross", "If There Were No God", "Tell Me Something That I Don't Know"
C2: "Amazing Grace", "And My God Will Meet All Your Needs", "Blessed Assurance", "Do Not Be Afraid", "God Inhabits Our Praise", "He Did It Again", "Holy, Holy, Holy", "Just As I Am", "Rock of Ages", "When You're There"
B1: "Brave New World", "Elijah Rock", "God Inhabits Our Praise", "I'm At Your Mercy", "If There Were No God", "Tell Me Something That I Don't Know"
B♭1: "Get To the Point", "Holy, Holy, Holy", "I Can Rejoice", "Softly and Tenderly", "When I Survey/Old Rugged Cross"
A1: "Brave New World", "Do Not Be Afraid", "I'm At Your Mercy", "In the Garden", "Tell Me Something That I Don't Know"
G♯1: "I Can Rejoice", "If There Were No God", "In the Garden", "Softly and Tenderly"
G1: "Get To the Point", "When I Survey/Old Rugged Cross", "When You're There"
E1: "Elijah Rock", "If There Were No God"

*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.
*Underlines mark notes found in backing vocals/harmonies.

One of the many members of the Acappella Company, singing bass for Acappella from 1994 until 1997 (with a brief stint as baritone in 1995 when Tim Storms joined the group). Fantastic lower register that was capable of dipping into the first octave with great ease, complimented with an extremely soulful higher register that injected the songs with great passion, perhaps doing so better than any other member of the group. Still active in singing and leading worship to this day, as evidenced by the video above.

If you have any other notes that I need to be aware of, don't hesitate to reply!

Last edited by The Long Shot on Thu May 19, 2016 11:30 am; edited 7 times in total
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Robert C. Guy

Post  AcapellaBass on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:41 am

Is this him, singing lead?
Also, could you give me some video's of his first octave singing?

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:39 am

AcapellaBass wrote:Is this him, singing lead?
Also, could you give me some video's of his first octave singing?

That's him, yep.

Videos:

G1's all over the place (most audible at 1:23).

The E1 is at the very end.

Plenty of G#1's throughout. He touches Eb1 at 3:57 while singing the extreme low bass line for the last time (one octave below the most audible part there; Guy was unique in that he often layered his bass parts in two different octaves).

More examples of his high singing.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Is that him singing one of the high parts in the background around the 3:48 mark? It's the highest male one, I think, and it sounds like him to me.

EDIT: It's definitely not Adams or Moyers (it could be George though).

Anyways, it peaks at B♭4. Check it out.

I'm also having trouble hearing that E♭1. All I hear is him start on E♭2 and scale downwards to A♭1.

And C2s throughout "Tell Me Something I Don't Know."

Last edited by CoolBJ on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:57 pm

CoolBJ wrote:

Is that him singing one of the high parts in the background around the 3:48 mark? It's the highest male one, I think, and it sounds like him to me. Anyways, it peaks at B♭4. Check it out.

I'm also having trouble hearing that E♭1. All I hear is him start on E♭2 and scale downwards to A♭1.

George Pendergrass was Acappella's second tenor at the time and had a somewhat similar sound to his voice, so it is probably him. And as for the Eb1, checking it via chipmunking the audio shows that it doesn't exist (the low bass part is the same as the very first time they do that section). So his lowest note is E1 from "If There Were No God".
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:02 pm

The Long Shot wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:

Is that him singing one of the high parts in the background around the 3:48 mark? It's the highest male one, I think, and it sounds like him to me. Anyways, it peaks at B♭4. Check it out.

George Pendergrass was Acappella's second tenor at the time and had a somewhat similar sound to his voice, so it is probably him. And as for the Eb1, checking it via chipmunking the audio shows that it doesn't exist (the low bass part is the same as the very first time they do that section). So his lowest note is E1 from "If There Were No God".

Yeah, after thinking about it for a second I figured out that George is a more likely candidate. Adams and Gary Moyers have pretty distinct voices so I knew it couldn't be them.

EDIT: There are no C2s in the studio version of "Tell Me Something I Don't Know." They are actually C♯2s; I'm thinking of a live performance. My bad.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:15 am

E♭2s and C♯2s.

A few F4s and E♭4s. I just love his upper register. He just always has this emotional presence regardless of of the song.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:54 pm

He sings the harmony bass-line at the beginning. It's hard to tell because Rodney Britt's honey-drizzled voice is filling my headphones (no complaint there), but I'm pretty sure there are a handful of E♭2s and maybe some C♯2s around the 0:50 mark (alongside Britt's low notes).

On the high side, G4 at 1:37, followed by a phenomenal E♭5-E5! Name of the song is "View That Holy City."

Also, you could probably lose the underline on the "And My God Will Meet All Your Needs" C2s. There are two parts in the song in which his singing isn't obscured by harmonies.

1:45 and then 2:39 (just before the slide down to C1).

F2s/F♯2s.

Anything significant here?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:40 am

Please pardon my triple post, but might I ask why the notes I put in my previous post haven't been added yet?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:27 am

CoolBJ wrote:Please pardon my triple post, but might I ask why the notes I put in my previous post haven't been added yet?

Because I've had other things going on and haven't had much time to look at this forum. Have patience; the notes will be added in due time, I promise.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:11 am

Understandable; I'm sorry if I came off as prodding! It was not my intention.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 am

I think this is him... E♭2s all over the place, and at 1:33 I'm hearing some very quiet B♭1s, and at 1:48 another quiet bass-line starts on C2 and descends to G1.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:40 am

Plenty of D2's, B1 at 1:23, and what I believe is a layered E1 at 1:42 (chipmunking the audio clearly shows this lower note existing, and I'm 99% sure it's a legit note since Acappella wasn't into artificial bass-boosting, if they could even do it at that time).
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:19 am

The Long Shot wrote:

Plenty of D2's, B1 at 1:23, and what I believe is a layered E1 at 1:42 (chipmunking the audio clearly shows this lower note existing, and I'm 99% sure it's a legit note since Acappella wasn't into artificial bass-boosting, if they could even do it at that time).

Considering it's sustained from 1:42 to the end of the song, I feel you should mention the E1's length in the OP as a fun fact, especially considering the caliber of the note.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Thu May 19, 2016 4:53 am

Pic isn't working.

Also, out of curiosity, which would you say are your fav bass notes from him? Second octave, first octave, whatever (both if you feel).
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Thu May 19, 2016 11:32 am

CoolBeans wrote:Pic isn't working.

Also, out of curiosity, which would you say are your fav bass notes from him? Second octave, first octave, whatever (both if you feel).

Fixed the image. As for favorite notes, I couldn't tell you. He's got some really solid stuff in the C2 area.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Lots of C2s and D2s. There's a short rumble at 2:30 that sounds like a B1, a series of A1s at 2:50, and a layered G1 at the end.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top