Hopscotch wrote:This thread:

* The Rage Place
Nieco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clem Singing Thread

Post  glds on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:06 am

Clem wrote:
gaylorddicksucker wrote:Also why are those falsetto notes counted as part of your sung range? Facepalm

I thought falsetto was still considered sung so long as it was stable and in a musical context. Warrel Dane and King Diamond would lose pretty much all their sung highs if we were to discount falsetto.

I thought it was only mixed voice or only notes strong enough that could be considered sung. Like the G5 in that top video was very strained in my opinion. I'm not sure why it was considered sung, in musical context or not.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:23 am

gaylorddicksucker wrote:
Clem wrote:
gaylorddicksucker wrote:Also why are those falsetto notes counted as part of your sung range? Facepalm

I thought falsetto was still considered sung so long as it was stable and in a musical context. Warrel Dane and King Diamond would lose pretty much all their sung highs if we were to discount falsetto.

I thought it was only mixed voice or only notes strong enough that could be considered sung. Like the G5 in that top video was very strained in my opinion. I'm not sure why it was considered sung, in musical context or not.

It was strained, but there's any number of singers with strained notes that we still consider notable. For the record, that G5 wasn't even falsetto, just pharyngeal-clad head voice.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 am

No seriously, THIS is exactly why we make a point of not doing users' own vocal range threads. It always ends up turning into this kind of cringey "but why can't I count this note towards my range!!!!" bullshit discussion. Rolling Eyes
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:38 am

Hopscotch wrote:No seriously, THIS is exactly why we make a point of not doing users' own vocal range threads. It always ends up turning into this kind of cringey "but why can't I count this note towards my range!!!!" bullshit discussion. Rolling Eyes
If it truely offends other so then I'll take it out. But I've heard notes similarly strained on threads of other singers with no complaints. Considering it was supposed to be somewhat comical, hence the caption in the video, the fact that there was some strain shouldn't nullify the fact that it was otherwise stable, controlled, clear and in a musical context.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imdevine on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:39 am

Clem wrote:
gaylorddicksucker wrote:
Clem wrote:

It was strained, but there's any number of singers with strained notes that we still consider notable. For the record, that G5 wasn't even falsetto, just pharyngeal-clad head voice.
Watched this video with G5. First, yeah, it's not falsetto. Second, congratz, you're not bass-baritone:)
imdevine
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:41 am

imdevine wrote:
Clem wrote:
gaylorddicksucker wrote:
Clem wrote:

Watched this video with G5. First, yeah, it's not falsetto. Second, congratz, you're not bass-baritone:)

I was doing a bad Geddy Lee impersonation, so it didn't sound like it, but I am a lyric bass-baritone. My tessitura is from F2-F4, and my lower register is all pretty dark. Check out some of my lower stuff.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:52 am

Clem wrote:
Hopscotch wrote:No seriously, THIS is exactly why we make a point of not doing users' own vocal range threads. It always ends up turning into this kind of cringey "but why can't I count this note towards my range!!!!" bullshit discussion. Rolling Eyes
If it truely offends other so then I'll take it out. But I've heard notes similarly strained on threads of other singers with no complaints. Considering it was supposed to be somewhat comical, hence the caption in the video, the fact that there was some strain shouldn't nullify the fact that it was otherwise stable, controlled, clear and in a musical context.
It's not about the note; it's about the whole thread. If you're more worried about whether you can count a strained G5 while doing a bad Geddy Lee impression towards your range than the actual quality of your singing, you're missing the whole point of singing altogether. We're not here to analyze and document your range the way we would for a professional singer; we're hear to listen to your singing and tell you what sounds good and what to work on.

In the immortal words of a certain Austere McNugget: "SING, motherfuckers!"
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:04 am

Alright, I'll change the format.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imdevine on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:15 am

Clem wrote:I was doing a bad Geddy Lee impersonation, so it didn't sound like it, but I am a lyric bass-baritone. My tessitura is from F2-F4, and my lower register in all pretty dark. Check out some of my lower stuff.
Bass-baritone can't have clean head voice even at C5 mark, it's a sign of baritone bridges.
Yeah, I checked, you're baritone with pretty good bottom end, but it sounds like baritone with good bottom end. Tessitura alone doesn't determine the voice type, it could determine a role in which a voice can perform. Historically, many baritones performed bass-baritone parts. For voice to be considered being of a particular type, it has to have timbral qualities and passagio of this type, and you have neither.
imdevine
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:20 am

imdevine wrote:
Clem wrote:I was doing a bad Geddy Lee impersonation, so it didn't sound like it, but I am a lyric bass-baritone. My tessitura is from F2-F4, and my lower register in all pretty dark. Check out some of my lower stuff.
Bass-baritone can't have clean head voice even at C5 mark, it's a sign of baritone bridges.
Yeah, I checked, you're baritone with pretty good bottom end, but it sounds like baritone with good bottom end. Tessitura alone doesn't determine the voice type, it could determine a role in which a voice can perform. Historically, many baritones performed bass-baritone parts. For voice to be considered being of a particular type, it has to have timbral qualities and passagio of this type, and you have neither.

Kevin Richards the vocal coach is a lyric bass-baritone, and he can he can hit a C6 in head voice. Granted, he's an absolute master of rock and metal singing, but Axl Rose is a bass-baritone as well, and he's showcased clean head voice notes well above C5.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imdevine on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:21 am

Hopscotch wrote:If it truely offends other so then I'll take it out. But I've heard notes similarly strained on threads of other singers with no complaints. Considering it was supposed to be somewhat comical, hence the caption in the video, the fact that there was some strain shouldn't nullify the fact that it was otherwise stable, controlled, clear and in a musical context.
It's not about the note; it's about the whole thread. If you're more worried about whether you can count a strained G5 while doing a bad Geddy Lee impression towards your range than the actual quality of your singing, you're missing the whole point of singing altogether. We're not here to analyze and document your range the way we would for a professional singer; we're hear to listen to your singing and tell you what sounds good and what to work on.

In the immortal words of a certain Austere McNugget: "SING, motherfuckers!"
I think it's actually better that he's able to hit this note with head voice than if he would have less usable non-falsetto range, but with better quality notes. Because he can master his range, but he can't deal with limits of his body.
I'd jump all over my house if I could have even one more single semitone of usable range.
imdevine
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imdevine on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:24 am

Clem wrote:Kevin Richards the vocal coach is a lyric bass-baritone, and he can he can hit a C6 in head voice. Granted, he's an absolute master of rock and metal singing, but Axl Rose is a bass-baritone as well, and he's showcased clean head voice notes well above C5.
Both are baritones actually.
imdevine
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:25 am

imdevine wrote:
Clem wrote:Kevin Richards the vocal coach is a lyric bass-baritone, and he can he can hit a C6 in head voice. Granted, he's an absolute master of rock and metal singing, but Axl Rose is a bass-baritone as well, and he's showcased clean head voice notes well above C5.
Both baritones actually.
Are you sure? Kevin Richards has said in a few videos that he's a bass-baritone. With 30 years of singing under his belt he's bound to know his voice type.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:25 am

Great, so we've gone from a notes debate to a voice type debate. Good work, people.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:28 am

Hopscotch wrote:Great, so we've gone from a notes debate to a voice type debate. Good work, people.
Look, if you aren't interested there's plenty of other threads besides this one. Voice type is always going to something that gets talked about in singing because it's a pretty huge factor in pretty much everyone's vocal capabilities and sound.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:40 am

I'm just trying to help you keep your own singing thread on topic, but if you'd rather debate semantics than discuss things that actually matter and would be beneficial for you, suit yourself.
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imdevine on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:41 am

Clem wrote:Are you sure? Kevin Richards has said in a few videos that he's a bass-baritone. With 30 years of singing under his belt he's bound to know his voice type.
Yeah, absolutely. I guess he's focusing on that image of him being lower voice and being able to sing really high. Voice becomes deeper with ages, so it's easy to portray yourself as a lower voice.
imdevine
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karma's animus on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:46 am

Clem wrote:Hi everyone, I sing a little Josh Turner in this new vlog I just dropped. Couple of sung Eb2s I think I did a decent job of at 2:27 and 2:32.

They were C#2s mate
And heck, I'm not very good at identifying voice types but your tone is far more similar to a baritone than any type of less-deep-bass.
However, you've got a pleasant and pretty good voice when you don't darken it too much!
Karma's animus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:16 am

freedom-animus wrote:
Clem wrote:Hi everyone, I sing a little Josh Turner in this new vlog I just dropped. Couple of sung Eb2s I think I did a decent job of at 2:27 and 2:32.

They were C#2s mate
And heck, I'm not very good at identifying voice types but your tone is far more similar to a baritone than any type of less-deep-bass.
However, you've got a pleasant and pretty good voice when you don't darken it too much!

Thank you. I thought I was a bass-bari, but now I'm not so sure lol. It feels like my tessitura is F2-F4, but I suppose there's other factors to take into account as well.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 am

Hopscotch wrote:I'm just trying to help you keep your own singing thread on topic, but if you'd rather debate semantics than discuss things that actually matter and would be beneficial for you, suit yourself.
Sorry if I came across harsh if you were trying to help. But it just felt like you were talking down to us for going into some other singing topics like voice type identification.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hopscotch on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 am

Don't worry, that's because I was flower
Hopscotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Clem wrote:

Notable, but not sung. There's a difference. Also, it's your thread, your rules. I'm not gonna bother wasting both our time and I don't see a lot of use in arguing for the sake of arguing anyway.

And, I wouldn't try to judge your voice by your tessitura. Somedays, my tessitura is E2-E4, and others it's C3-E5. Even how you were using your voice days before effects how your voice can preform or feel comfortable. You can have the tessitura of a profundo, but if it comes out sounding like a tenor hitting the notes, I don't know if I'd say you're a bass. That's kind of the aporia of voice type. It's really flexible and weird and complicated. Wise words of Austere McNugget: "SING, motherfuckers!"

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top