Tay Zonday

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tay Zonday

Post  AcapellaBass on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:21 am

Voice Type: Fried-At-The-End Bass-Baritone
Vocal Range: G♯1-F5

About Tay Zonday:
Tay Zonday, whose name is actually Adam Nyerere Bahner, is a YouTube celebrity. He rose to fame with his original song "Chocolate Rain", and is still active on YouTube nowadays. He does gaming video's, song covers, original songs, and vlog-like video's. Possessing a deep and slightly croaky voice, he sings second octave notes with ease and occasionally dives into the first octave, but his chest voice also extends into the fourth octave, with which he can showcase great high notes.

Significant High Notes:

F5 - "Tosh.0 Web Redemption (link, at 3:00)", "The Fox"
E5 - "The Fox"
C♯5 - "The Fox", "La La La"
C5 - "My Little Pony", "TroLoLol"
A4 - "Be Prepared", "I See Fire", "My Little Pony"
G4 - "Fly Me To The Moon"
F4 - "Smile", "Be Prepared"
E4 - "What Makes You Beautiful", "My Way", "Lights", "Fly Me To The Moon", "TroLoLol", "Carol of the Bells"
E♭4 - "This Is You", "My Heart Will Go On", "Gotta Catch 'Em All"
D4 - "Call Me Maybe", "Whip/Nae Nae", "Misty Mountains Cold", "Roar", "I See Fire", "My Little Pony", "My Way", "Lights", "Bring Him Home"
C♯4 - "Misty Mountains Cold", "The Fox", "La La La", "Lights", "Bring Him Home", "TroLoLol"
C4 - "Smile", "I See Fire", "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "My Way", "Fly Me To The Moon", "I Just Fall In Love Again", "O Holy Night", "TroLoLol"
B3 - "Hello (Bass Cover)", "My Heart Will Go On", "Misty Mountains Cold", "The Fox", "My Little Pony", "La La La", "We Can't Stop", "Bring Him Home", "Come Fly With Me", "TroLoLol"
B♭3 - "Chocolate Rain", "Roar", "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "My Way", "Gotta Catch 'Em All", "I Just Fall In Love Again", "O Holy Night", "TroLoLol", "As Long As You Love Me"

Significant Low Notes:

B♭2 - "Chocolate Rain", "Roar", "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "I Just Fall In Love Again", "O Holy Night", "TroLoLol"
A2 - "La La La", "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "I'll Be Home For Christmas"
G♯2 - "This Is You", "The Last Goodbye", "Driving Home For Christmas", "Let It Go", "Sixteen Tons", "O Holy Night"
G2 - "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "My Way", "You've Got A Friend In Me", "Gotta Catch 'Em All", "Fly Me To The Moon", "Come Fly With Me", "As Long As You Love Me"
F♯2 - "Hello (Bass Cover)", "Let It Go", "Misty Mountains Cold", "The Last Goodbye", "My Little Pony", "La La La", "Lights", "TroLoLol"
F2 - "Whip/Nae Nae", "Driving Home For Christmas", "Gotta Catch 'Em All", "Fly Me To The Moon"
E2 - "The Last Goodbye", "Glad You Came"
E♭2 - "Hello (Bass Cover)", "Driving Home For Christmas", "You've Got A Friend In Me", "Sixteen Tons"
D2 - "Cherry Chocolate Rain", "La La La", "We Can't Stop", "Glad You Came", "Lights", "TroLoLol"
C♯2 - "Call Me Maybe", "The Last Goodbye", "Misty Mountains Cold", "Let It Go", "The Fox", "All About That Bass"
C2 - "Fly Me To The Moon"
B1 - "Hello (Bass Cover)", "The Fox", "My Little Pony", "We Can't Stop", "Lights"
B♭1 - "Call Me Maybe", "Let It Go", "All About That Bass", "Fly Me To The Moon"
A1 - "My Little Pony"
G♯1 - "Hello (Bass Cover)"
*Blue marks falsetto notes.
*Italics marks non-sung notes.

VIDEOS:
One of his best videos in my opinion: Misty Mountains Cold

Another one of his best: Bring Him Home

Last edited by AcapellaBass on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:54 am; edited 14 times in total

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tay Zonday

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:10 am

Doesn't he get down to an A1 in the MLP theme?
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AcapellaBass on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:16 am

Dead Reb wrote:Doesn't he get down to an A1 in the MLP theme?
If you could give me a link, I really have no idea what video you mean with MLP.

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKFpYX9cp-k

well there's always google.
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AcapellaBass on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:28 am

Dead Reb wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKFpYX9cp-k

well there's always google.
Thank you.

well there's always the opposite of abbreviations.

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:43 am

Sorry man haha laughing out loud. Next time I'll avoid doing it laughing my fucking ass off haha
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AcapellaBass on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:47 am

Dead Reb wrote:Sorry man haha laughing out loud. Next time I'll avoid doing it laughing my fucking ass off haha
Well, I'm glad you find it funny Yeah!

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OctavianFan on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:05 am

Okay, after listening to tons of Tay Zonday's stuff his timbre sounds lower than Alan Rickman's and Benedict Cumerbatch and does sound like James Earl Jones. James Earl Jones sounds more powerful though but Tay is close. Only Chocolate Rain sounds sung with an affected voice. And people are missing that at the end of some of his phrases he goes into vocal fry.

"Chocolate Rainnnn...(uhhh)[fry]"

His voice is only not his real voice in that it is modified by his "accent". And the accent modifies peoples timbre so it's higher or lower. But James Earl Jones speaks with a similar accent so it's easy to compare the voices and Tay's voice sounds slightly lighter. So when people say that's not his real voice. They're not used to hearing that "accent" so they think he's cheating specifically the more rounded tone that makes it easier to sing lower and more powerfully. When a California surfer hears it they're like "whhaaaaaaaaa?" that's not your real voice!

And there's also bass elitists who use any excuse to exclude you from bass but don't have the same stringent standards when looking at other vocal types.

So Tay Zonday sounds lighter than JEJ but deeper than Rickman/Cumberbatch. But Rickman/Cumberbatch also have different accents than Zonday.

OctavianFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:25 am

Honestly, he doesn't even sound like a bass baritone to me. Just your average run of the mill baritone who lowers his timbre and fries out notes.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OctavianFan on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:13 am

gaylorddicksucker wrote:Honestly, he doesn't even sound like a bass baritone to me. Just your average run of the mill baritone who lowers his timbre and fries out notes.

That's just the same vocal style that James Earl Jones, Paul Roebsen and Rick Astley uses. If singing that way is lowering your timbre than Paul Roebsen lowered his "timbre". Chocolate Rain may have had lowered timbre by a smidge but he wasn't as good a vocalist then. Those notes that you think are fried are not fried. That's just the way that notes at the end of second octave sound. The only fry I've heard from him are at the end of some of the "Chocolate Rain's."

What you think is fry is actually just the croaking sound you start to get at lower second octave notes.

OctavianFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:36 am

I'm not talking about just Chocolate Rain. I mean Chocolate Rain is almost entirely in the 3rd octave, so I'm not sure why there would be anything close to croaking, fry, or unpleasant sounds.

His first octave stuff is all really weak and feels like it's only audible because he uses a mic. I feel like he thinks he's pressured into being some Tim Storms or some shit. Like this guy has so much color in the upper 3rd octave/lower 4th, and there's no croaking. But then out of nowhere there's these croaking second octave notes.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:38 am

I think bass baritone feat him well actually
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toast on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:44 pm

His real name is Adam Bahner, by the way. You could include that in some way in the title of this thread.
Toast
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AcapellaBass on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:17 am

gaylorddicksucker wrote:Honestly, he doesn't even sound like a bass baritone to me. Just your average run of the mill baritone who lowers his timbre and fries out notes.
I wouldn't quite call him "average", absolutely not. He is a deep baritone, who borderlines bass and baritone.
But, average? No, just no Razz

OctavianFan wrote:What you think is fry is actually just the croaking sound you start to get at lower second octave notes.
I really, strongly disagree with you on that.
No matter your accent or whatever, you don't just get such a forced and fried sound after, like, E2.

The thing with Tay is just that he really sounds like he pushes his larynx down to his chest, which results in this forced chest/fry ...thing.
Especially in interviews, you can hear how crazily much he forces his voice to get a lower sounding voice.
Looking at JEJ, he totally does not force his voice - he just has this incredible bass voice.
Tay indeed has a lower voice than Benedict or Alan, but JEJ just has this natural deep, smooth and resonant voice - whereas Tay has a deep, "dry" and forced voice.

To be frank, I actually get annoyed by his forced speaking, with all the fry at the end of sentences...

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molandfreak on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 pm

I wouldn't count the G4 in Fly Me to the Moon as falsetto, since we only should use blue on the softest, most obvious falsetto notes. If it is falsetto, he does a damn good job of making it appear full or at least in mixed voice.
Molandfreak
Range Advisor

View user profile http://about.me/molandfreak

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:19 pm

I'm cool with Bass Baritone. "If you can't hit a connected G1 you aint no bess beriton MEH"
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Dead Reb wrote:I'm cool with Bass Baritone. "If you can't hit a connected G1 you aint no bess beriton MEH"
take that... Worried
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Molandfreak wrote:I wouldn't count the G4 in Fly Me to the Moon as falsetto, since we only should use blue on the softest, most obvious falsetto notes. If it is falsetto, he does a damn good job of making it appear full or at least in mixed voice.
Mixed voice isn't modal. Blue is very clearly non-modal notes or a mixed that's so strong that it might as well be modal (with examples like Axl Rose or Steven Tyler). There is a big enough tonal difference that it's no longer black and fits better into blue.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Dead Reb wrote:I'm cool with Bass Baritone. "If you can't hit a connected G1 you aint no bess beriton MEH"
Not about notes. It's about quality. He fries 3rd octave notes and clearly lowers his timbre. I've heard bass baritones who can't go lower than E2 and still are clearly bass baritones just based off timbre and the quality they can produce in some of the lower notes.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:34 pm

It's kinda weird for this guy, but I'd rather have him as a "bass baritone" for style purposes.
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:45 am

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t620-tay-zonday

Huh. I guess a thread already existed. Oh well, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to convince Rodney to let you take over all Tay Zonday notewatching duties.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizik on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:11 am

Omg Very Happy This guy is a BEAST Very Happy

Pizik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:01 pm

The Trololó song name is "I'm Very Glad for I'm Coming Home at Last"
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack-OF-Blades on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Jack-OF-Blades

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfmzt22EmvsXEyyManBVqAg

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:16 am

He sounds like a cartoon villain! I'm not even going to try to pitch the lows in that.
P.S. although having just tried humming along (an octave higher) I think he sings down to at least A1. Not too sure about the low slides, or whether they would count as sung.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top