ThatsMads Mediocre Covers Thread

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ThatsMads Mediocre Covers Thread

Post  thatsmad on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:07 am

I know you all love listening to my shitty covers ruin songs so here's another one for you
I always say it but I think this one is less shitty and as always feedback is welcome to help the next one hopefully be less awful, thanks

https://soundcloud.com/thelatestobsession/the-middle-the-latest-obsession-cover

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:55 am

It's indeed less shitty
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:57 am

thatsmad wrote:I know you all love listening to my shitty covers ruin songs so here's another one for you
I always say it but I think this one is less shitty and as always feedback is welcome to help the next one hopefully be less awful, thanks

sorry i'm late, but i've been busy :/ lol, anyways there's positives and negatives so let's get roiiiiitttteeee into tha noooooosseeee.
Positives:
Your voice sounds genuinely good here. Less shaky than before, and your tone has shown real improvement. You have a lot of potential if you just keep working on it. Also, the mix was alright, and I didn't feel like anything was overly loud or anything became drowned out.

Negatives:
Your still singing off pitch, and the chorus especially you didn't even hit the right high note. Your intonation still needs a ton of work, but overall you being out of key isn't nearly as distracting as before. Your guitar playing was also pretty sloppy, to be blunt Embarassed Not even just being out of time, at times, but it also sounded like you had just learned the song before recording. I would've definitely refined a few parts more before sitting down and recording the whole thing.

Overall Impression:
I hear a lot of improvement from you vocally, but you still have a ways to go. Your voice sounds far more comfortable now, but then that's defeated by pitch issues (something I admittedly struggle with as well). Work on singing to a guitar/piano to stay on pitch, if you haven't been already. Also, make sure you can play the guitar parts with your eyes closed, upsidedown before recording lol. Not bad though, just a lot of room for improvement.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:20 am

Demi wrote:
thatsmad wrote:I know you all love listening to my shitty covers ruin songs so here's another one for you

sorry i'm late, but i've been busy :/ lol, anyways there's positives and negatives so let's get roiiiiitttteeee into tha noooooosseeee.
Positives:
Your voice sounds genuinely good here. Less shaky than before, and your tone has shown real improvement. You have a lot of potential if you just keep working on it. Also, the mix was alright, and I didn't feel like anything was overly loud or anything became drowned out.

Negatives:
Your still singing off pitch, and the chorus especially you didn't even hit the right high note. Your intonation still needs a ton of work, but overall you being out of key isn't nearly as distracting as before. Your guitar playing was also pretty sloppy, to be blunt Embarassed Not even just being out of time, at times, but it also sounded like you had just learned the song before recording. I would've definitely refined a few parts more before sitting down and recording the whole thing.

Overall Impression:
I hear a lot of improvement from you vocally, but you still have a ways to go. Your voice sounds far more comfortable now, but then that's defeated by pitch issues (something I admittedly struggle with as well). Work on singing to a guitar/piano to stay on pitch, if you haven't been already. Also, make sure you can play the guitar parts with your eyes closed, upsidedown before recording lol. Not bad though, just a lot of room for improvement.

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed feedback, I really appreciate that Smile
I've been busy too since posting that cover :/ Finally got round to listening to it again and yeah the guitars should have been redone completely. I'm starting to move scales up now to the fourth octave (I've been starting in the third) so I can practice the intonation of my mix voice because that's where I think there is most room for improvement. I agree there are a few pitch issues and I'm getting better at hearing them when I practice too so hopefully we can start seeing an improvement there.

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:44 pm

No problem. It's good to hear that you're still practicing singing, and taking your time/being safe about it.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Just got finished making another cover, the first one in a while. I think the singing is still the weakest part of the performance, especially the first and second verse but they fill the gap and are better than the other takes I did. On the whole I like how it turned out. Here it is

https://soundcloud.com/thelatestobsession/always-blink-182-cover

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 pm

I wish I had something good to say Sad even tom's live performance of the song sounds better than that Sad
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:33 am

CracK wrote:I wish I had something good to say Sad even tom's live performance of the song sounds better than that Sad

OK, thanks for the listen. Are you able to provide some constructive criticism please? I'd like to know at least what about it sounded so bad to you and preferably a recommendation on how to fix it so I can be better next time; because until then it's a bit like doing a maze in the dark, or trying to tell a blind person what the colour blue looks like, please and thank you

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Asking CracK for constructive criticism Laughing I'll give it a listen after I'm off of this plane
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:34 pm

same problems as usual m8; off pitch almost constantly, bad timing between the singing and the instrumental, blurry and stuffy sounding. your timbre in generally is pretty whiny and weak, and not in the best way. like, it sounds like you actually don't enjoy singing and you are just doing it by force or something. like you're about to die or whatever. like not enough power, charisma, and passion. It's pretty weird tho considering your previous cover was actually better

I thought this kind of criticism was already obvious to you so I didn't feel the need to elaborate in my previous comment Smile so s0z for that, and for the slightly harsh criticism, but it's my honest opinion overall

and hey don't worry, you're still not as bad as demi is Wink
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Breaking on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:40 pm

take that Crack

Spoiler:
Breaking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:38 am

Breaking wrote:take that Crack

Spoiler:
http://picosong.com/xSQe/
this is your vois on crack... any questions?
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:49 am

Yeah, for once CracK is right about something lol. Your last cover was much better than this one, vocally. However, the instrumenta were much tighter this time around, so nice job on that. Your harmonies were also pretty in sync, deapite the vocals being overall off time lol. Idk what else to say, considering CracK did summarize my thoughts prettt well. I think you have it in you to get a better take of this song.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:51 am

typical beginner issues, off pitch, lack of support and a good open sound.

Remember, your voice grows in the process as well, it's gonna take a while and if you love it, you'll stick with it and you'll get to give Crack some of his own medicine.

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:54 am

Dumi wrote:
Breaking wrote:take that Crack

Spoiler:
http://picosong.com/xSQe/
this is your vois on crack... any questions?

I never knew the human body contained so much blood, my ears now suffer from internal hemorrhage, I think the damage is irreversible.

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:32 am

CracK wrote:same problems as usual m8; off pitch almost constantly, bad timing between the singing and the instrumental, blurry and stuffy sounding. your timbre in generally is pretty whiny and weak, and not in the best way. like, it sounds like you actually don't enjoy singing and you are just doing it by force or something. like you're about to die or whatever. like not enough power, charisma, and passion. It's pretty weird tho considering your previous cover was actually better

I thought this kind of criticism was already obvious to you so I didn't feel the need to elaborate in my previous comment Smile so s0z for that, and for the slightly harsh criticism, but it's my honest opinion overall

and hey don't worry, you're still not as bad as demi is Wink

Dumi wrote:Yeah, for once CracK is right about something lol. Your last cover was much better than this one, vocally. However, the instrumenta were much tighter this time around, so nice job on that. Your harmonies were also pretty in sync, deapite the vocals being overall off time lol. Idk what else to say, considering CracK did summarize my thoughts prettt well. I think you have it in you to get a better take of this song.

I'll try get another take on the vocal done over the next few days, maybe, I'll see what I can do. I originally wanted my friend to sing it but he doesn't know the words.

Don't worry about the harsh criticism, better that than saying it's awesome when it sucks. I wouldn't show it to you if I knew it sucked Wink. I guess I still need to practice a few fundamentals but at least I can figure out a way to practice somehow.

How long did it take you to learn to hear slightly out of tune singing without an instrument? My ears are pretty good at hearing out of tune notes played on top of each other but unfortunately I'm still learning to tell the right notes and in tune notes to a melody.

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:12 am

Well, being able to take criticism is always good lol. Anyways, being able to hear things as "out of place" comes with time and practice, like most things. When it comes to the notes in a melody, depends on the key usually. Sometimes you may have odd notes out, like an Eb in DMinor (the song Fiction has this happen on the Rev's chorus), but if the melody is 100% in key, then knowning the key can help out a lot. For example, DMinor has all naturals, besides Bb (so the scale would be DEFGABbCD).
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top