ThatsMads Mediocre Covers Thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ThatsMads Mediocre Covers Thread

Post  thatsmad on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:09 pm

So I make covers every now and again and sometimes they turn out bearable and others not so much lol.
Today I finished a cover of Sugar We're Goin' Down by Fall Out Boy and posted it to my soundcloud where I post the rest of my covers that I find bearable to re-listen to. I'm definitely a guitarist who sings not a singer who plays guitar but whatever I still have fun.

This should be heaps better than the last version (it was shit Banghead)
https://soundcloud.com/clandestinewish/sugar-were-going-down-fall-out-boy-cover

Any criticism and advice is welcome

Last edited by thatsmad on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ThatsMads Mediocre Covers Thread

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Ok, I'll be honest... you have a pleasant bright voice. However, you are constantly out of key and both playing and singing off time. The first thing I'd do is learn to sing and play at the same time. Then I'd just run through some scales along your guitar neck or piano or something. Also... are you a troll, cause if you are Freak
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:24 pm

he kinda sounds like you demi lol xD
sorry I didin't like the cover
maybe try a mark hoppus song Dance ?
light up de forum!
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:36 pm

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Ok, I'll be honest... you have a pleasant bright voice. However, you are constantly out of key and both playing and singing off time. The first thing I'd do is learn to sing and play at the same time. Then I'd just run through some scales along your guitar neck or piano or something. Also... are you a troll, cause if you are Freak

Thanks Demi, definitely something I'll work on as much as I can

Crackz0r94 wrote:he kinda sounds like you demi lol xD
light up de forum!

That's cool if you don't like it
I might do a Mark Hoppus song but I'm not sure which one. Sooo many good ones to choose from. Maybe Adam's Song?

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:42 pm

if you can sing smooth and easily in the C4-G4 range (and I think you can you sound tenor) then go ahead mate I am waiting Very Happy
adam song is my fav song by blink
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Crackz0r94 wrote:if you can sing smooth and easily in the C4-G4 range (and I think you can you sound tenor) then go ahead mate I am waiting Very Happy

I like your taste haha, I'll start practicing actually doing it into a microphone (I swear it always turns to shit when I start recording)
Should I keep it in D tuning or play it in standard?

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Crackz0r94 wrote:he kinda sounds like you demi lol xD
light up de forum!
Hahaha, am I really this off pitch and off time? Razz
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DinosaurMan on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:34 pm

thatsmad wrote:
Crackz0r94 wrote:if you can sing smooth and easily in the C4-G4 range (and I think you can you sound tenor) then go ahead mate I am waiting Very Happy

I like your taste haha, I'll start practicing actually doing it into a microphone (I swear it always turns to shit when I start recording)
Should I keep it in D tuning or play it in standard?

As long as you tune the guitar properly, lol...

DinosaurMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:52 pm

thatsmad wrote:Should I keep it in D tuning or play it in standard?
well you can't play the real song on standard tuning so I guess keep the D Zoid
also if you are having trouble with both singing and playing the guitard at the same time, you can just find instrumental of adam song and sing along with it
Princess Pussy Hunter wrote:Hahaha, am I really this off pitch and off time? Razz
dunno about pitch and off time, but definetley similiar timbre..
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:05 am

Crackz0r94 wrote:
thatsmad wrote:Should I keep it in D tuning or play it in standard?
well you can't play the real song on standard tuning so I guess keep the D Zoid
also if you are having trouble with both singing and playing the guitard at the same time, you can just find instrumental of adam song and sing along with it
Princess Pussy Hunter wrote:Hahaha, am I really this off pitch and off time? Razz
dunno about pitch and off time, but definetley similiar timbre..
Oh, I thought... never mind lol. Also, why am I "Princess Pussy Hunter" now :?
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:33 pm

I did another cover of another song that is done way better than the first one I posted here (still ashamed Facepalm ).

https://soundcloud.com/clandestinewish/into-your-arms-the-maine-cover

What do you guys think?
What do you think I have done well or wrong?

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:40 pm

Similar issues as the last time  Cringe. Everything is irritatingly out of time. Your tone has improved a bunch though, and you even sang in pitch a few times  Yeah!. However, the distracting instruments, and off pitch falshitto was killing me. This cover was very disorienting too. I'd recommend just finding an instrumental, and simply singing over it. I can tell you've been getting a bit better though. Did you try and run scales on a piano or guitar or something? It could help with pitch a bunch
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Similar issues as the last time  Cringe. Everything is irritatingly out of time. Your tone has improved a bunch though, and you even sang in pitch a few times  Yeah!. However, the distracting instruments, and off pitch falshitto was killing me. This cover was very disorienting too. I'd recommend just finding an instrumental, and simply singing over it. I can tell you've been getting a bit better though. Did you try and run scales on a piano or guitar or something? It could help with pitch a bunch

I do scales and stuff on my guitar every few days and sing into a tuner while I'm playing music on my stereo and seem to hit 85% of my notes like that, but I actually recorded this on the same day as the horrible sugar we're going down cover.
The falsetto stuff was kinda hard because it wasn't high enough to do properly and I'm not even sure I can intentionally sing in falsetto. Probably should have done it an octave higher in head voice, would have been easier I reckon

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:54 pm

thatsmad wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Similar issues as the last time  Cringe. Everything is irritatingly out of time. Your tone has improved a bunch though, and you even sang in pitch a few times  Yeah!. However, the distracting instruments, and off pitch falshitto was killing me. This cover was very disorienting too. I'd recommend just finding an instrumental, and simply singing over it. I can tell you've been getting a bit better though. Did you try and run scales on a piano or guitar or something? It could help with pitch a bunch

I do scales and stuff on my guitar every few days and sing into a tuner while I'm playing music on my stereo and seem to hit 85% of my notes like that, but I actually recorded this on the same day as the horrible sugar we're going down cover.
The falsetto stuff was kinda hard because it wasn't high enough to do properly and I'm not even sure I can intentionally sing in falsetto. Probably should have done it an octave higher in head voice, would have been easier I reckon
Oh that's good then. And this is actually better than that cover lol. You should've posted this instead  Razz. Idk, besides the instruments clashing, your tone wasn't half bad. And I don't think falsetto is supposed to be hard lol
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:
thatsmad wrote:

Oh that's good then. And this is actually better than that cover lol. You should've posted this instead  Razz. Idk, besides the instruments clashing, your tone wasn't half bad. And I don't think falsetto is supposed to be hard lol
Probably should have waited a day and mixed all the different stuff on this one first, the only reason the other cover was first was because I had already done the drums track for it. I like messing around with as many instruments as I can lol. Have you given the redone one a listen?

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:01 am

Did a vocal cover of Adam's Song with the instrumental cuz I'm way too lazy today to make my own version

https://soundcloud.com/clandestinewish/adams-song-blink-182-vocal-cover

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:35 am

woah sorry but it was horrible Cringe the pitching, the timing, the singing, almost everything
the only thing that was okay was the chorus (exceft the last one Cringe )
I think you should sing songs with the original singers before moving to karaoke, mostly so you know how to sing in the right time n pitch Rolling Eyes
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Crackz0r94 wrote:woah sorry but it was horrible Cringe the pitching, the timing, the singing, almost everything
the only thing that was okay was the chorus (exceft the last one Cringe )
I think you should sing songs with the original singers before moving to karaoke, mostly so you know how to sing in the right time n pitch Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure how to ge tmore in time. I sung it with the original, then when editing I checked by singing while listening to it and then lined up my vocals with the beat of the instrumental

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:04 pm

it sounds like none of this happened
try to cover the song again but with mark vocals, I wanna see how it go
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Crackz0r94 wrote:it sounds like none of this happened

Here you go
http://picosong.com/QcMv/

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:22 pm

thatsmad wrote:

Here you go

It's an improvement, but your timing at points feels like it's just barely hanging together, and your pitch in the verses is still pretty bad. I don't know how to explain the timing aspect of things, but the only thing I can think of from a pitch standpoint is that you're somewhat tone-deaf. Not 100% so, but enough to where it's a problem. I'd suggest practicing basic songs and really working on matching the pitches exactly.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thatsmad on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:56 pm

The Long Shot wrote:
thatsmad wrote:

Here you go

It's an improvement, but your timing at points feels like it's just barely hanging together, and your pitch in the verses is still pretty bad. I don't know how to explain the timing aspect of things, but the only thing I can think of from a pitch standpoint is that you're somewhat tone-deaf. Not 100% so, but enough to where it's a problem. I'd suggest practicing basic songs and really working on matching the pitches exactly.

I'm definitely not tone deaf haha, I just struggle to replicate them with my voice; probably because I just don't practice enough scales and such. I haven't ever had a vocal lesson of any kind so that probably doesn't help.
I didn't re do the vocals on the second one with Mark's, I literally swapped the instrumental for the actual version

thatsmad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:03 pm

thatsmad wrote:
The Long Shot wrote:
thatsmad wrote:

Here you go

I'm definitely not tone deaf haha, I just struggle to replicate them with my voice; probably because I just don't practice enough scales and such. I haven't ever had a vocal lesson of any kind so that probably doesn't help.
I didn't re do the vocals on the second one with Mark's, I literally swapped the instrumental for the actual version

Okay, gotcha. Yeah, I'd really recommend practicing your pitch-matching, even if you're not "technically" tone-deaf.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Singing lessons aren't magic. It takes practice. Also, it sounds like you're reluctant to increase your volume as well, like you're mumbling most of the melodies. Enunciation is important.

Record yourself more. Practice more doody.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:15 pm

okay it was slightly better, specialy the timing as you can hear. the pitch still half way off, you just need alot of pratice
I agree with the long shot that you might be tone deaf (not completley tho) but don't worry it's definetley fixable with alot of practice and training. I can give you good applause tho for singing dem G4's in pretty comfort way Smile you are tenor all the way
it's pretty tough song for baritones like me, and even for Mark, that's why they use to play it half step down on lives
I think you should pick another blink song but easier and slower Yeah!
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top