Harmony's Vocal Lab

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Harmony's Vocal Lab

Post  Harmony on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Hello there.

For all of the tracks: https://soundcloud.com/truthcodex

All of my practice and experimentation goes to my soundcloud mainly.

I upload once in a while to monitor progress.

The Messenger- Linkin Park (8 June 2016): https://soundcloud.com/truthcodex/the-messenger-linkin-park-practice
I was kinda disrupted at the end, I'll upload a studio high quality version next month or so.
Coming soon

I hope you guys enjoy it. Feedback is appreciated anytime.

Last edited by Harmony on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:06 am; edited 21 times in total

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Harmony's Vocal Lab

Post  DinosaurMan on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:28 am

Harmony wrote:Although I've been a guest here for a while, after being around here for like 3 months or so, I've recently signed up to interact more with this community and to join in discussions.

So I'll keep it short, I'm a 22 years old male who's still a beginner in terms of vocal development, I started off practicing growls and screams and got into "clean" singing later on, about 2 years ago I started practicing cleans on and off.
Until last year I got ken tamplin's program and I've improved a lot, I've only worked at the program for 3 months and a half on and off, until I found a decent place to practice recently on a regular basis.

Anyways, here's a demo of me singing Breaking the habit & pushing me away by linkin park and Soldier of fortune by deep purple:
soundcloud .com/truthcodex/breaking-the-habitsoldier-of-fortunepushing-me-away
I'm a bit sick today but regardless I did some warm up and decided to give it a shot. (Link has a space as I'm still new Very Happy )

And feedback on what my voice type sounds to you would be appreciated, My breaks are at D4 and G4 (gotta yell a bit for a G4), I'm assuming a spinto tenor. My comfortable singing range is E3~F4# so far, I can relax into a G4 on certain vowels. My lowest extreme is G2# I can't sing from B2 and below without pushing larynx down and being breathy, C3 is my utmost comfortable lowest and it's very quiet.
Before I got to ken tamplin's program, I could barely hit D4 as I didn't know how to access my zona di passagi, had no idea how to drop the weight off the note, etc.
Anyways, feedback much appreciated !
Thanks in advance !

It's a bit hard to tell because you aren't singing with enough breath support. I suspect tenor. You should practice some breathing exercises.

DinosaurMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:10 pm

DinosaurMan wrote:
Harmony wrote:Although I've been a guest here for a while, after being around here for like 3 months or so, I've recently signed up to interact more with this community and to join in discussions.

So I'll keep it short, I'm a 22 years old male who's still a beginner in terms of vocal development, I started off practicing growls and screams and got into "clean" singing later on, about 2 years ago I started practicing cleans on and off.
Until last year I got ken tamplin's program and I've improved a lot, I've only worked at the program for 3 months and a half on and off, until I found a decent place to practice recently on a regular basis.

Anyways, here's a demo of me singing Breaking the habit & pushing me away by linkin park and Soldier of fortune by deep purple:
soundcloud .com/truthcodex/breaking-the-habitsoldier-of-fortunepushing-me-away
I'm a bit sick today but regardless I did some warm up and decided to give it a shot. (Link has a space as I'm still new Very Happy )

And feedback on what my voice type sounds to you would be appreciated, My breaks are at D4 and G4 (gotta yell a bit for a G4), I'm assuming a spinto tenor. My comfortable singing range is E3~F4# so far, I can relax into a G4 on certain vowels. My lowest extreme is G2# I can't sing from B2 and below without pushing larynx down and being breathy, C3 is my utmost comfortable lowest and it's very quiet.
Before I got to ken tamplin's program, I could barely hit D4 as I didn't know how to access my zona di passagi, had no idea how to drop the weight off the note, etc.
Anyways, feedback much appreciated !
Thanks in advance !

It's a bit hard to tell because you aren't singing with enough breath support. I suspect tenor. You should practice some breathing exercises.

Thanks, I agree, I'm still not at my best in terms of supporting notes from G4 and above, I was so confused since I'm supposed to be a tenor and unable to hit these notes yet.... I can hit up to A4 but it's just on the AH vowel and it's shaky.
Thanks for the feedback, will keep it in mind

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:13 pm

The biggest thing you have to know is that you put the accidental before the octave.
G♯2, not G2♯. :/

also,
♯ ♭ NOT # b

Welcome. Smile

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:13 am

https://soundcloud.com/truthcodex/black-pearl-jam-intro

My attempt to sing black, I did one take, was too lazy to re-record again for improvement, maybe in a couple of months I'll upload a really well done one when I improve my range, control and support.
I'm just posting it here, cause what the heck.... voice too high XD

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DinosaurMan on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:16 am

It's getting better. Remember to aim the sound forward and to keep up the breath support.

DinosaurMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:16 am

why don't you sing along with an instrumental?
make it less painful to my ears
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:21 am

Crackz0r94 wrote:why don't you sing along with an instrumental?
make it less painful to my ears

Ugh It's a habit of mine to record bare vocals with my laptop's mic, I'll add an instrumental next time then, and yeah I'm sort of singing Black in a higher key, I'll add instrumentals to songs I can sing in key next time.
I'm gonna post something with an instrumental in the background instead soon.
Deleted the old one.

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:48 am

https://soundcloud.com/truthcodex/in-the-end-bridge-practice-linkin-park

In the end - LP , No backing track or instrumental, just bare vocals, I just do these random practice takes, this time I tried putting more emotions into it.

Criticism is welcome, you can't be worse than cracky XD

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:47 am

i am like the nicest person ever how can you say that

Last edited by queenfat69 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:48 am

Nice Cover!:
Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking Puking
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:02 am

Harmony wrote:https://soundcloud.com/truthcodex/in-the-end-bridge-practice-linkin-park

In the end - LP , No backing track or instrumental, just bare vocals, I just do these random practice takes, this time I tried putting more emotions into it.

You need to work on a lot of things  Cringe. You sound like you've never sang this song before, which is not a good thing. You need to learn a song and it's melodies before doing a cover. I understand that this was just for practice, but it's still something important to remember. Now, you aren't the pitchiest off pitch singer on here (we all should know who is already), but you do need a lot of work in that department. Some of your singing on the verse wasn't even in key, and sounded weird lol. The chorus was slightly better - pitch wise - but you were still singing out of key and then you cracked on an F# I think. It wasn't even horrible, but it bugs me because those are such easy fixes  Banghead . Anyways, the worst part of your singing is that your stiff as hell, and sound like you can barley coordinate where you're going while you sing. That's only something that can be worked on with more practice, so don't get too held up on that. The biggest issue was your technique for the chorus... SHOUTTYTYTYTYTTY. You cracked, more than likely due to pushing too much, which can really only be fixed by learning to relax, and build up a strong mix/head voice. There's plenty of people on YT and even on here who could explain it better than me, but be weary of singing like that. Overall, this wasn't a terrible cover, but you do have a ton of things to work on. Please don't take this as me trying to be a dick like Crack, because that's not my intention lol.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:49 am

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:
Harmony wrote:https://soundcloud.com/truthcodex/in-the-end-bridge-practice-linkin-park

You need to work on a lot of things  Cringe. You sound like you've never sang this song before, which is not a good thing. You need to learn a song and it's melodies before doing a cover. I understand that this was just for practice, but it's still something important to remember. Now, you aren't the pitchiest off pitch singer on here (we all should know who is already), but you do need a lot of work in that department. Some of your singing on the verse wasn't even in key, and sounded weird lol. The chorus was slightly better - pitch wise - but you were still singing out of key and then you cracked on an F# I think. It wasn't even horrible, but it bugs me because those are such easy fixes  Banghead . Anyways, the worst part of your singing is that your stiff as hell, and sound like you can barley coordinate where you're going while you sing. That's only something that can be worked on with more practice, so don't get too held up on that. The biggest issue was your technique for the chorus... SHOUTTYTYTYTYTTY. You cracked, more than likely due to pushing too much, which can really only be fixed by learning to relax, and build up a strong mix/head voice. There's plenty of people on YT and even on here who could explain it better than me, but be weary of singing like that. Overall, this wasn't a terrible cover, but you do have a ton of things to work on. Please don't take this as me trying to be a dick like Crack, because that's not my intention lol.

I cracked cause I thought I heard my neighbors outside XD and I was trying to push my voice to its limits, I wasn't totally overdoing it, I'm experimenting with compression now, I can sing it in a relaxed state, I always practiced it in a relaxed state, but my tone is too warm for rough parts like this, Thanks for the criticism, I'll upload a version where I sing it in a relaxed way in a couple of months, working on ken tamplin's stuff, sucks that my chest voice currently tops at G4 max comfortably.... my lowest comfortable is C3, it's like I'm neither a tenor or a baritone in terms of range XD

and lol crack, I know you're being sarcastic, I'm being sarcastic too, you can be a douche about it, I'm cool with it XD

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:42 am

It's probably because you haven't gotten close to unraveling your voice. Even if it was because your neighbors, if your voice is that is easy to crack, you're pushing yourself significantly too hard. If you were talking and you thought your neighbors were coming, your voice wouldn't crack. It was most likely just get quieter.

Practice singing more. You sound like me about a year or two ago. I doubt you've been singing for very long because of pitch issues, undeveloped tone, and crippled range.

Also, if your voice fuckin cracks during a recording, DON'T UPLOAD IT LOL. JUST RECORD A NEW ONE. WHY.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:51 am

gaylorddicksucker wrote:

Also, if your voice fuckin cracks during a recording, DON'T UPLOAD IT LOL. JUST RECORD A NEW ONE. WHY.

what if it's the best he could get Mmm
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52 am

Just cut it out then. End it short. :\ It's not worth it.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:54 am

now seriously only because I am the nicest man in the world, I'll recommend you to pick easier songs, if you are locked on LP then try from living things songs like castle of glass, skin to bone, roads untraveled and "sing" it WITH the the original song or atleast with instrumental/karaoke

atleast you like LP I can give you that applause Popcorn
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:59 am

my motto has been recently to upload raw shit no matter what, not 10 takes, I'm uploading this so that in something like a year or two I can say "I fucking improved, here, check this out" plus I thought it would motivate users here later on as I progress to see for themselves how one can go from shitty to great (gonna take a while)

Problem is , my tone is underdeveloped, I pretty much hate recording songs that take mid range to sing cause it just sucks for me most of the time to sing robust baritonish stuff, and tenor songs... I get rekt hard XD
I don't like living things... heck, recently I've been listening to grey daze, IMO that's chester's best era, songs like Somtimes, The Down Syndrome, Sickness, What's in the eye and Saturation top almost anything by linkin park, no poppy stuff,I wish they were more raw, the hunting party was awful IMO, brad just sucks as a guitarist I think and Jo would get out of the band cause he has nothing left to do.
Either way, the dream is to sing like Robert Plant and Ian Gillan mostly and the chester grungy sound of Grey Daze, that's what I'm going to aim for.

Last edited by Harmony on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:05 am

Harmony wrote:my motto has been recently to upload raw shit no matter what, not 10 takes, I'm uploading this so that in something like a year or two I can say "I fucking improved, here, check this out" plus I thought it would motivate users here later on as I progress to see for themselves how one can go from shitty to great (gonna take a while)
If you think the shit you hear on albums is 1 take, you've got the wrong idea. Hell, many things are double-tracked, which can take so many efforts to make sure there is no dissonance. I understand what you're saying, but don't get the wrong idea from what you hear and what you're trying to accomplish. Even great singers often have to try again just to nail those pitches.

My biggest advice to you rn, is that if you have a guitar or piano or keyboard, just sit by it, and slowly sing out melodies from songs you like. Forget singing fast or with the actual songs tempo. Hell, if you don't hit a note, try it again until you get it. This helped me sing immensely. You'll learn over and over to be more precise with what you think is an acceptable pitch, down to a few cents.

Last edited by gaylorddicksucker on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:05 am

Harmony wrote:my motto has been recently to upload raw shit no matter what, not 10 takes, I'm uploading this so that in something like a year or two I can say "I fucking improved, here, check this out" plus I thought it would motivate users here later on as I progress to see for themselves how one can go from shitty to great (gonna take a while)
Some advice; don't upload too frequently this early in your "singing venture". It'll make it seem like you haven't progressed at all, because progress is a slow thing.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:10 am

gaylorddicksucker wrote:
If you think the shit you hear on albums is 1 take, you've got the wrong idea. Hell, many things are double-tracked, which can take so many efforts to make sure there is no dissonance. I understand what you're saying, but don't get the wrong idea from what you hear and what you're trying to accomplish. Even great singers often have to try again just to nail those pitches.

My biggest advice to you rn, is that if you have a guitar or piano or keyboard, just sit by it, and slowly sing out melodies from songs you like. Forget singing fast or with the actual songs tempo. Hell, if you don't hit a note, try it again until you get it. This helped me sing immensely. You'll learn over and over to be more precise with what you think is an acceptable pitch, down to a few cents.

Thank you, I'll be doing that, singing with original and on pitch, not moving from a verse to another until I nail it.

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harmony on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:26 am

https://soundcloud.com/truthcodex/titanium-sia-vocal-practice

Sia titanium practice, tried not to be so loud on this one so that it wouldn't disturb others, feedback appreciated, it's not like I can belt the fucking high notes yet anyways.

Last edited by Harmony on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectAlpha on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:28 am

Are you an older Ryugen?

In all seriousness, it's weird. I've heard this kind of stuff before, with other users aswell. It sounds like you're TRYING to sing like a tenor, instead of trying to sing, well, like yourself. I really, really doubt you are singing in your tessitura. Lacks power, lacks control. Either you're pretty tone deaf or you're trying to sing too much like Sia. Just my honest opinion. You fall flat a lot.

EDIT: Listened to your "Breaking The Habit/Soldier Of Fortune/Pushing Me Away" cover. Focus more on supporting your comfortable range, instead of trying to expand your range. Imagine you're a chef and you have to serve a dinner party. You can either make a table full of shitty dishes or a large plate full of delicacies. What do you think people would eat? I'll answer it for you: They would, of course, want to eat the large plate full of delicacies.

And work on your pronounciation a bit. It would help a lot too.

Last edited by SubjectAlpha on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:34 am; edited 2 times in total
SubjectAlpha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:30 am

SubjectAlpaka wrote:Are you an older Ryugen?
exactly what I thought Laughing
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectAlpha on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:35 am

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:
Some advice; don't upload too frequently this early in your "singing venture". It'll make it seem like you haven't progressed at all, because progress is a slow thing.

Or you'll end up like the Princess with vocal damage God bless USA
SubjectAlpha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top