Ricky Wilson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ricky Wilson

Post  Clem on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:23 am

Ricky Wilson:
Voice Type: Time Honoured (Dramatic) Tenor
Sung Range: F2-D5 (2 Octaves + 9 Semitones)
Total Range: D2-F♯5 (3 Octaves + 4 Semitones)

Significant High Notes:
F♯5 ("Time Honoured Tradition")
E5 ("Na Na Na Na Naa", "Saturday Night", "Take My Temperature", "Cannons", "Don't Sweat", "Caroline, Yes")
E♭5 ("I Predict a Riot")
D5 ("Oh My God", "Wrecking Ball", "Sitting on the Prince of Wales")
C♯5 ("Time Honoured Tradition", "Every Day I Love You Less and Less")
C5 ("Don't Go Breaking My Heart" on Bring the Noise, "Get Back" Live on The Voice)
B4 ("Coming Home", "Misery Company", "Take My Temperature", "Na Na Na Na Naa", "Get on Up/You Got The Love Medley" Live on The Voice, "Saturday Night", "Heavy", "I Can Do It Without You", "Everything is Average Nowadays", "My Life", "Caroline, Yes")
B♭4 ("Roses", "Ruffians on Parade", "My Kind of Guy", "Bows & Arrows")
A4 ("The Factory Gates", "Born to Be a Dancer", "Wrecking Ball", "Hard Times Send Me", "I Heard it Through the Grapevine", "Sitting on the Prince of Wales", "Everything is Average Nowadays", "Learnt my Lesson Well", "I Like to Fight", "Misery Company")
G♯4 ("Heat Dies Down", "The Angry Mob", "Born to Be a Dancer")
G4 ("I Predict a Riot", "Meanwhile up in Heaven", "Thank You Very Much", "I Can Do It Without You", "Power of Love" Live on The Voice, "One More Last Song", "Bows & Arrows")
F♯4 ("Modern Way", "I Heard it Through the Grapevine", "Don't Sweat", "God Bless America", "Highroyds")

Significant Low Notes:
E3 ("Saturday Night", "Caroline, Yes", "Good Bad, Right Wrong", "Don't Sweat", "Country in C", "God Bless America", "Learnt my Lesson Well", "I Like to Fight", "From the Neck Down")
E♭3 ("Sitting on the Prince of Wales", "Heat Dies Down", "Admire You", "Power of Love" Live on The Voice)
D3 ("Oh My God", "Cannons")
C♯3 ("Modern Way", "The Angry Mob")
C3 ("What Did I Ever Give You", "Love's Not A Competition But I'm Winning", "I Got A Feeling" on The Voice, "Bows & Arrows")
B2 ("Time Honoured Tradition", "Hard Times Send Me", "Couldn't Contain", "Retirement", "The Factory Gates", "Misery Company", "My Life", "One More Last Song", "Cannons")
B♭2 ("What Did I Ever Give You")
A2 ("I Heard it Through the Grapevine", "I Can Do It Without You", "Get Back" Live on The Voice, "Coming Home", "Meanwhile up in Heaven", "My Life")
G2 ("Wrecking Ball", "Like it Too Much", "Team Mate", "Caroline, Yes")
F♯2 ("Admire You")
F2 ("Try Your Best")
D2 ("TV", "Don't Sweat")

Known For Vocals As:
The lead singer of the British Indie Rock band, "The Kaiser Chiefs". A strong, dramatic tenor, Wilson in his lower register sounds comparable in tone and delivery to ex-Pink Floyd frontman Syd Barrett, getting down to A2s and G2s fairly comfortably, albeit rather quietly. His chest belts, especially live, have improved significantly since his 2005 breakthrough album "Employment", showing much greater consistency and stability in singing notes from A4 upwards in full voice in recent years. Notably, he acknowledged that he felt he had to show an improvement on their 2014 album "Education, Education, Education & War" after being appointed as a judge on the UK edition of The Voice. Other characteristics of his voice include a slightly shrill falsetto sound, almost Thom Yorke-esque in tone, and use of aggressive, double-tracked hollering on TKC's earlier, more punk-influenced material.

Last edited by Clem on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:15 am; edited 23 times in total
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ricky Wilson

Post  ChillShaman on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 am

Sexy notes:
Tonnes of G4s here, and an E♭3 at 0:30.

A few A2s, and several C5s!

B4s throughout.

Might want to add a new picture too Razz
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:54 am

He's got an interesting sound for sure. Did he win The Voice?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Haha, very funny!
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Ollie wrote:
Sexy notes:
Tonnes of G4s here, and an E♭3 at 0:30.

A few A2s, and several C5s!

B4s throughout.

Might want to add a new picture too Razz

Thanks for the notewatching dude. From what I've heard Ricky's not going to be doing the next series now that it's moving to ITV. Shame, cos he was an interesting person and voice to have on the show.
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:27 am

Yeah, it's a real shame as he was the most normal judge for a while, and a highly underrated singer too actually.
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldYeller on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:07 am

Thought he really struggled with singing "Are you gonna go my way" - and this was even before the one tone jump in the track. He even sounded a bit hoarse in the interview afterwards where Jolan was perfectly fine. Much better with "Mr Brightside" though as its in a key that suits his voice

OldYeller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:13 am

I know it's pretty much universally known, but please add what this and that means (for the sake of new users).
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:32 am

Couple of C5s here. Even one from David as well
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Clem on Tue May 03, 2016 3:00 am

Quite a lot of the backing vocals on the "Education, Education, Education and War" album sound like Ricky, but I'm pretty sure the lows in the second half of "Cannons" aren't him. There's some pretty monstrous sounding D2s from 2:20 onwards and a sinister fry A1 at 2:42. Andrew White (guitar), Simon Rix (bass) and session musician Ben H. Allen III all stepped up to bv duties with the departure or Nick Hodgson. Anyone know who contributes these pretty sweet lows?
Clem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top