Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  irrsol on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi everyone, my 1st post. Very Happy
I've been viewing the forum for one or two years and just decided to post and share some of my singings... Most of them have original track as background, some with backing and some are plain singing. Hope you'll find them interesting.

I sing both harsh and clean stuff. I'm not good with certain type of screams - like those by Devin Townsend (even though I absolutely love those screams). I'm okay with low growls (the kind that most of the death metal bands utilize) and Emperor-ish high pitch scream (a bit throat pain afterwards though). I put some of my harsh singings below, mostly Moonspell songs.
How to do the Devy style scream properly? I have to push a lot of air through to mimic that sound but that makes me feel really uncomfortable.

I also really struggles with high notes, those notes by me are shrieks. Examples are "run for your lives" in Run to the hills, and the high notes in 'Don't stop me now'. Sounds too thin and siren like. Could you help me find a way to improve that?

I have a quite limited range, up to G5 only (occasionally I can do A5 but with sour throat, which isn't useful really). I think I'm a baritone but not entirely sure because I feel my passagio is somewhere between G4 and A4 which seems a bit too high for baritones, and my voice is never as deep as David Bowie (example is 'China girl') - especially when Bowie gets old - or Joakim (the vocal of Sabaton, example is 'En livstid i krig'). Could you tell me what kind of voice do I posses?


A little explanation for the links:
I use a Chinese software on iPhone to record all the songs using the iphone mic. It's a karaoke software which allows you to sing with music stored in your phone and share it online (on it's own website only Sad ). Also sometimes I just use speakers of my computer to play music and record my singing use the phone.

Click on the link and just don't mind the Chinese on their website, wait a bit and the music will play automatically (probably takes a little bit time to load as the server is in China).

Here are the songs.

Only the first verse.
I am the black wizard (by Emperor): http://changba.com/s/8zkGMgvHKrlH5Z-uzSP0TQ?&code=Kxhsv6044ik

Don't stop me now (By Queen): http://changba.com/s/lIKTTR35XHLleDTgANsmbA?&code=Kxhsv6044ik

No backing, only first part.
The Haunting (by Kamelot): http://changba.com/s/XLxi3kHJClz-VLBZlTbdaw?&code=Kxhsv6044ik

No backing
En livstid i krig (By Sabaton): http://changba.com/s/sc2o9KUB4yX4cWpIJkPpxQ?&code=Kxhsv6044ik

Axis Mundi (by Moonspell) : http://changba.com/s/I0qVdlq5u-5VJYisth19Eg?&code=Kxhsv6044ik

Licknthrope (by Moonspell): http://changba.com/s/UqkbBU6pxPuUOfvax6PJpw

Birth of the Three (by Orphaned Land) : http://changba.com/s/D5z4rx1PWothNOhM--wVYw

Halo Dies (by Orphaned Land): http://changba.com/s/TpVEfsgbrv2kFOhd9Y3Mdg

Opium (by Moonspell): http://changba.com/s/CW6xOnHRYe-9eH4soZqUrw

Awake (by Moonspell): http://changba.com/s/4X7Yi93g3OscnDrIzopnIw

It's My Life (by Bon Jovi): http://changba.com/s/lZl40AyM3q8LXAoJXkDYjQ

I can't remember the later part of this song so I didn't do well after 2 min...
Losing My Religion (By REM) : http://changba.com/s/EvAP8vqVr7kPdVqklaoAWg

Breathe (Until We Are No More) (By Moonspell) : http://changba.com/s/4K5E-68vcZoHliVH8EvIZg

Stamina run out at the end...
Hotel California (By Eagles) : http://changba.com/s/Zj4UojnmdEcGZuRJcskEhg

Crashland (By Arcturus): http://changba.com/s/zMqxZhh0OrKKm1jvbJVIEQ

Painting My Horror (By Arcturus): http://changba.com/s/6n5mVIhFu_aGYAuhFx5ZUA

No backing.
Fear of the dark (By Iron Maiden): http://changba.com/s/MQ0kQ_xXKq36Q95prF1pNA

The man who sold the world (By David Bowie): http://changba.com/s/8bhJoFg1OwWZMxTBlwZA_g

Made a lot of mistakes in this song, not very familiar with it... Sorry
China girl (By David Bowie): http://changba.com/s/EyYIuexNFmkcr9JRfWyujg

Run to the hills (By Iron Maiden) : http://changba.com/s/92U_4y1jCfSaZVDZeIPLfA

Simple man (By Klaus Nomi): http://changba.com/s/Onlp72Ks4SV86DbVsS_KRg

No backing
Farewell Slavankia (Russian song): http://changba.com/s/4u9OgtIRb2oIBHl74JSCMg?&code=Kxhsv6044ik
avatar
irrsol

Posts : 18
Join date : 2015-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 am

On those Maiden covers, you're lower range has a very pleasant dramatic quality, that's quite awesome. Your upper range... it sounds very stuffy or strained at times. You handled the notes well (not much cracking or anything), but it sounds like you have more work to do before tackling the likes of Dickinson lol. Not horrible though. I've heard far worse. If I had to rate this, 6/10 would be appropriate, because you're certainly above average.
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  irrsol on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:19 am

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:On those Maiden covers, you're lower range has a very pleasant dramatic quality, that's quite awesome. Your upper range... it sounds very stuffy or strained at times. You handled the notes well (not much cracking or anything), but it sounds like you have more work to do before tackling the likes of Dickinson lol. Not horrible though. I've heard far worse. If I had to rate this, 6/10 would be appropriate, because you're certainly above average.

Thank you! I don't know what's going horribly wrong with my upper range, it lacks of low resonance. Can't find a way to tackle it. Banghead
avatar
irrsol

Posts : 18
Join date : 2015-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:23 am

irrsol wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:On those Maiden covers, you're lower range has a very pleasant dramatic quality, that's quite awesome. Your upper range... it sounds very stuffy or strained at times. You handled the notes well (not much cracking or anything), but it sounds like you have more work to do before tackling the likes of Dickinson lol. Not horrible though. I've heard far worse. If I had to rate this, 6/10 would be appropriate, because you're certainly above average.

Thank you! I don't know what's going horribly wrong with my upper range, it lacks of low resonance. Can't find a way to tackle it. Banghead
np Yeah! Just work on scales lol. Best worst advice ever
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  Aníbal on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:32 am

I was listening to the Don't Stop Me Now cover but I feel like you're almost dying bro Sad
you need a better technique handle the times of the song.
avatar
Aníbal

Posts : 680
Join date : 2014-06-05
Age : 23
Location : Venezuela

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/anibal-m-sica

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  Private Perineum on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:11 pm

Your "Run to the Hills" sounded like if Dexter Holland ever attempted singing it. I think your high register has a good basis: the notes seem to blend nicely as well as flowing through with excessive strain or air leaks. Keep on working around that range while keeping the sound similarly bright and as resonant as possible.
avatar
Private Perineum

Posts : 717
Join date : 2015-03-14

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  irrsol on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:12 am

TheGreatAníbal wrote:I was listening to the Don't Stop Me Now cover but I feel like you're almost dying bro Sad
you need a better technique handle the times of the song.  

As suggested, doing scale everyday now Pray
avatar
irrsol

Posts : 18
Join date : 2015-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:24 am

irrsol wrote:
TheGreatAníbal wrote:I was listening to the Don't Stop Me Now cover but I feel like you're almost dying bro Sad
you need a better technique handle the times of the song.  

As suggested, doing scale everyday now Pray
Breathing techniques may be good too. Just for control sake
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some of the karaokes and singings by me, advices are appreciated

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum