Favorite High Tenor?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who?

18% 18% 
[ 7 ]
11% 11% 
[ 4 ]
11% 11% 
[ 4 ]
8% 8% 
[ 3 ]
13% 13% 
[ 5 ]
29% 29% 
[ 11 ]
10% 10% 
[ 4 ]
 
Total Votes : 38

Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Fetty Mercury on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:04 am

Who is your favorite high tenor? (Yes, that is a legit voice type)
My vote goes to Geddy Lee. A very underrated voice.
avatar
Fetty Mercury
He's just a boy!

Posts : 858
Join date : 2014-08-18
Age : 16
Location : If you lived here you'd be home by now

View user profile http://Eggcouncilmusicreviews.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

This is rude, because you make me cringe

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:37 am

Freddie Mercury? Puking
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Fetty Mercury on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:46 am

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Freddie Mercury? Puking
He has to be on every poll. It's the law.
avatar
Fetty Mercury
He's just a boy!

Posts : 858
Join date : 2014-08-18
Age : 16
Location : If you lived here you'd be home by now

View user profile http://Eggcouncilmusicreviews.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:48 am

queenfan11 wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Freddie Mercury? Puking
He has to be on every poll. It's the law.
God bless USA
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Nieco on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:52 am

how could u forget anìbal?
avatar
Nieco

Posts : 350
Join date : 2015-02-08
Age : 19
Location : Santos,SP, Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  WhistletheNote on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:38 pm

I know Steve Perry (in his prime) could sing in the high tenor tessitura very easily, but if you just base his voice type on range, then he could be a male alto or mezzo-soprano. He sounds much more like a standard tenor to me, slightly darker timbre than someone like Mitch Grassi or Michael Jackson. Compare his timbre to Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder or other standard tenors and you can tell that that's where he is.

Now that Perry's ruled out, I guess I have to vote for Michael.

WhistletheNote

Posts : 15
Join date : 2015-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Fetty Mercury on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:26 am

Nieco wrote:how could u forget anìbal?
That's what other is for.
avatar
Fetty Mercury
He's just a boy!

Posts : 858
Join date : 2014-08-18
Age : 16
Location : If you lived here you'd be home by now

View user profile http://Eggcouncilmusicreviews.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 am

WhistletheNote wrote:He sounds much more like a standard tenor to me, slightly darker timbre than someone like Mitch Grassi or Michael Jackson. Compare his timbre to Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder or other standard tenors and you can tell that that's where he is.
What's so "standard" about any of those tenors?
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  WhistletheNote on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:32 am

Sorry, I was referring to the lyric tenor voice, I don't know where "standard" came from.

WhistletheNote

Posts : 15
Join date : 2015-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Hopscotch on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:07 am

That's much better. Smile
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  DinosaurMan on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:25 pm

WhistletheNote wrote:I know Steve Perry (in his prime) could sing in the high tenor tessitura very easily, but if you just base his voice type on range, then he could be a male alto or mezzo-soprano. He sounds much more like a standard tenor to me, slightly darker timbre than someone like Mitch Grassi or Michael Jackson. Compare his timbre to Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder or other standard tenors and you can tell that that's where he is.

Now that Perry's ruled out, I guess I have to vote for Michael.

I'm pretty sure we just call male altos High Tenors on here. Alto isn't a voice type anyway, it's a choir range/part.

DinosaurMan

Posts : 184
Join date : 2015-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Harmony on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:50 am

I'd consider freddie a baritenor.... FFS... Where is Robert Plant? how dare you refer to him as "other"...

Harmony

Posts : 174
Join date : 2015-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  DinosaurMan on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:53 am

Harmony wrote:I'd consider freddie a baritenor.... FFS... Where is Robert Plant? how dare you refer to him as "other"...

Robert Plant isn't a high tenor.

DinosaurMan

Posts : 184
Join date : 2015-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Full Voice Ahead on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:41 am

Other rules!

Full Voice Ahead

Posts : 87
Join date : 2015-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Harmony on Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:59 am

DinosaurMan wrote:
Harmony wrote:I'd consider freddie a baritenor.... FFS... Where is Robert Plant? how dare you refer to him as "other"...

Robert Plant isn't a high tenor.

Some people would even call him a countertenor, he did have some weight into his 1969 performance of let's say "Babe I'm gonna leave you" but come on, he's gotta be a something like a lyric at least, what would you consider him ? out of curiosity

Harmony

Posts : 174
Join date : 2015-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Rebsedd on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:27 pm

Plant = Dramatic Tenor.

You ever heard him live after 1970?
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Harmony on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Dead Reb wrote:Plant = Dramatic Tenor.

You ever heard him live after 1970?

Oh well, you're kinda right, on stairway to heaven he does have some weight to his sound, guess I was too mesmerized by his highs...
I'd still say spinto/dark lyric, he had such a developed high register with some decent weight in the mids.

Harmony

Posts : 174
Join date : 2015-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  King Creosote on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:31 am

I'm pretty sure we just call male altos High Tenors on here. Alto isn't a voice type anyway, it's a choir range/part.

I think you will find that Soprano is usually considered to be a voice type, as are Tenor, and Bass. The likes of Jacko, and Jon Anderson, are considered as Altos since they don't sound like Tenors, and they are not considered Counter Tenors since they do not sing in Falsetto.

Robert Plant is not a "High" Tenor, most of his screechy notes were falsettoed, which he happily admits to even if some of his more fanatical fans do not.
avatar
King Creosote

Posts : 141
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  highvoicedguy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:12 am

geddy lee is my influence since i was 14 and discovered his old material.

michael jackson had a good high tenor voice,though.

my second favorite high tenor is tom chang (張雨生),a taiwanese who could reach a D6 without using falsetto.

I know that geddy was able to hit a B5 which isnt as much high as tom's D6.
still,geddy is my vocal hero.
avatar
highvoicedguy

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-06-03
Age : 21
Location : Rio de Janeiro,Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  highvoicedguy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:17 am

DinosaurMan wrote:
Harmony wrote:I'd consider freddie a baritenor.... FFS... Where is Robert Plant? how dare you refer to him as "other"...

Robert Plant isn't a high tenor.

totally agree that he is an ordinary ,not high tenor.

now,guys,do you know some other high tenors in rock music?

Miljenko Matijevic is seen as a tenor as so is Toshi from X  JAPAN,although he could reach a A5 without falsetto(Toshi). If he was able to hit a B5,he would be a high tenor,wouldnt him?

http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t1325-toshimitsu-toshi-deyama?highlight=Toshi
avatar
highvoicedguy

Posts : 25
Join date : 2016-06-03
Age : 21
Location : Rio de Janeiro,Brazil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  The Great Heroins on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:05 am

avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Rebsedd on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 am

Harmony wrote:
Dead Reb wrote:Plant = Dramatic Tenor.

You ever heard him live after 1970?

Oh well, you're kinda right, on stairway to heaven he does have some weight to his sound, guess I was too mesmerized by his highs...
I'd still say spinto/dark lyric, he had such a developed high register with some decent weight in the mids.

Have you heard fuckin Going To California?
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Karma's animus on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:11 am

dead reb redemption wrote:
Harmony wrote:
Dead Reb wrote:Plant = Dramatic Tenor.

You ever heard him live after 1970?

Oh well, you're kinda right, on stairway to heaven he does have some weight to his sound, guess I was too mesmerized by his highs...
I'd still say spinto/dark lyric, he had such a developed high register with some decent weight in the mids.

Have you heard fuckin Going To California?

He's clearly a lyric tenor IMO

However my favorite high tenor has to be Barry White, I mean his upper 2nd octave was flawless

avatar
Karma's animus

Posts : 67
Join date : 2015-10-28
Location : Rome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  ChillShaman on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:21 am

I could definitely see Robert Plant being a high tenor in his early days. Also, no Jon Anderson?
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Rebsedd on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:36 am

He was even rougher and more grounded in his early days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ma1_gyXVE
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 20
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite High Tenor?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum