Sam Carter

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Loopholeinlimbo on Sun May 29, 2016 10:07 am

I actually finished notewatching the album before my mouse broke, so once I'm home I'll update you with the rest of the notes. And I really love the album too. Phenomenal instrumental work, and Sam has never sounded meaner. I agree, it's an odd mix of less distortion and yet even more distortion than the last few albums. The bits of crystal clear high singing in between the screams and harsh singing is pretty neat too. I'm just bummed that he didn't sing below G#3 a couple of times Cringe
Anyways, Momento Mori didn't get above those extremely harsh Eb5s on the latter half of the album, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe one of them did peak at E5, but I wasn't positive. I'll check those again. Great closing track as well. It kind of reminded me of Suicide Season, especially with the heavy electronic aspects.

I can hear the Eb5 at 2:40 in Memento Mori, but I can't hear any Eb5's in Deathwish or Gravity... What are the time stamps for those? It's crazy the amount of grit he has. As a clean singer, I'm sat here wondering how long his voice will last!

Loopholeinlimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun May 29, 2016 10:17 am

Loopholeinlimbo wrote:I can hear the Eb5 at 2:40 in Memento Mori, but I can't hear any Eb5's in Deathwish or Gravity... What are the time stamps for those? It's crazy the amount of grit he has. As a clean singer, I'm sat here wondering how long his voice will last!
Fuck, it's in the song, but they're brief notes. I think one of the songs had the Eb on an e vowel if that helps. I won't be home for a few more hours, but once I am I'll timestamp them.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 am

Demi wrote:
Loopholeinlimbo wrote:I can hear the Eb5 at 2:40 in Memento Mori, but I can't hear any Eb5's in Deathwish or Gravity... What are the time stamps for those? It's crazy the amount of grit he has. As a clean singer, I'm sat here wondering how long his voice will last!
Fuck, it's in the song, but they're brief notes. I think one of the songs had the Eb on an e vowel if that helps. I won't be home for a few more hours, but once I am I'll timestamp them.
Thanks Demi. I remember the Eb's in deathwish and gravity being pretty brief.
Yeah, I wonder how long he can maintain his extremely distorted/screamy style, I'm actually kind of surprised that his voice has held up as well as it has. I noticed that he's even using distortion in the F#4-Bb4 range which is something that he didn't really do that often on LF//LT, if he used distortion it was usually on notes that were B4 and up, at least if i'm remembering correctly.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun May 29, 2016 3:23 pm

ReclusiveShade wrote:
Demi wrote:
Thanks Demi. I remember the Eb's in deathwish and gravity being pretty brief.
Yeah, I wonder how long he can maintain his extremely distorted/screamy style, I'm actually kind of surprised that his voice has held up as well as it has. I noticed that he's even using distortion in the F#4-Bb4 range which is something that he didn't really do that often on LF//LT, if he used distortion it was usually on notes that were B4 and up, at least if i'm remembering correctly.
Yeah, based off of his live performances he seems strong as ever. Who knows how his voice adjusts; only time
will tell. He does have some very clean singing in the F#4-Bb4 range on AOGHAU in a few songs though. If anything, his voice seems a bit stronger on this album
than in the last. I just really hope he shows off some more low singing eventually.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon May 30, 2016 1:34 am

I went ahead and added the rest of the notes I found from AOGHAU, and then added all of the notes from Hollow Crown as well. I'll look through the rest of the albums when I get a chance. Yeah!

Updated Thread:

Voice Type: Tenor
Total Range: F♯2-E♭5
"BLEGH" Count: too damn many
Lead singer of the metalcore band Architects. Carter has shown just how diverse his voice is throughout his career with the band. He started out primarily screaming on their early works but moved to a mix of both screaming and singing on their more recent albums.

He is known primarily for his harsh, high pitched screaming but has proven that he has a strong singing voice as well. He shows strength in his lower range, while showing great control up into his higher range.

High-Notes:

E♭5- ("All Love Is Lost", "C.A.N.C.E.R", "Deathwish", "The Distant Blue", "Eleven Eyes", "Gravity", "Memento Mori", "Naysayer", "The Empty Hourglass", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
D5- ("A Match Made in Heaven", "All Love Is Lost", "Deathwish", "From the Wilderness", "Gone With the Wind", "Memento Mori", "Nihilist", "Phantom Fear", "To the Death")
C♯5- ("A Match Made in Heaven", "All Love Is Lost", "Alpha Omega", "An Open Letter to Myself", "Black Blood", "Broken Cross", "Dead Man Talking", "Deathwish", "Downfall", "The Empty Hourglass", "Even if you win, you're still a rat", "From the Wilderness", "Gone With the Wind", "Gravedigger", "Gravity", "Memento Mori", "Naysayer", "Nihilist", "Outsider Heart", "Phantom Fear", "These Colors Don't Run", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
B4- ("A Match Made in Heaven", "All Love Is Lost", "Alpha Omega", "Borrowed Time", "Castles in the Air", "Colony Collapse", "Daybreak", "Dead March", "Deathwish", "Delete.Rewind", "Dethroned", "Devil's Island", "Downfall", "Early Grave", "Every Last Breath", "Feather of Lead", "Follow the Water", "From the Wilderness", "Gravedigger", "Gravity", "Hollow Crown", "In Elegance", "Left with a Last Minute", "Memento Mori", "Naysayer", "Numbers Count for Nothing", "One of These Days", "Outsider Heart", "Phantom Fear", "The Empty Hourglass", "To the Death", "Truth, Be Told", "Untitled", "We're All Alone"Year in Year Out/Up and Away")
B♭4- ("Borrowed Time", "BTN", "Day In, Day Out", "Deathwish", "Delete.Rewind", "Memento Mori", "Nihilist", "Numbers Count for Nothing", "One of These Days", "Phantom Fear", "Rise Against", "The Blues", "The Empty Hourglass", "The Sadness Will Never End")
A4- ("An Open Letter to Myself", "Dead March", "Every Last Breath", "Follow the Water", "Gone With the Wind", "Heartburn", "Hollow Crown", "I Can't See the Light", "In Elegance", "North Lane", "Of Dust and Nations", "We're All Alone", "You'll Find Safety")
G♯4- ("All Love Is Lost", "Alpha Omega", "Behind the Throne", "Colony Collapse", "Daybreak", "Deathwish", "Dethroned", "Follow the Water", "Hollow Crown", "I Can't See the Light", "In Elegance", "Every Last Breath", "Learn to Live", "Left with a Last Minute", "Memento Mori", "Nihilist", "North Lane", "Phantom Fear", "Red Eyes", "Rise Against", "The Blues", "The Empty Hourglass", "We're All Alone", "Year in Year Out/Up and Away")
G4- ("Band of Brothers", "Dead March", "Of Dust and Nations", "The Sadness Will Never End")
F♯4- ("An Open Letter to Myself", "Follow the Water", "Unbeliever", "Untitled", "We're All Alone")

Low-Notes:

E3- ("Colony Collapse", "Follow the Water", "Hollow Crown", "In Elegance")
E♭3- ("Castles in the Air")
D3- ("Hollow Crown")
C♯3- ("Hollow Crown", "In Elegance")
B2- ("Castles in the Air", "The Distant Blue", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
A2- ("Hollow Crown")
G♯2- ("Castles in the Air", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
F♯2- ("The Distant Blue")
.......................................................................................
*Underline - denotes backing vocals/vocals obscured in the mix
*Italics - denotes non-melodic notes/spoken notes
*Green/Italics - denotes harsh, distorted, xXhArDc0r3Xx skrams
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon May 30, 2016 4:31 am

Thanks, you've saved me a lot of work haha Very Happy
If you haven't heard it already, check out their song called Untitled, Sam does some really nice lows in it.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon May 30, 2016 9:44 am

ReclusiveShade wrote:Thanks, you've saved me a lot of work haha Very Happy
If you haven't heard it already, check out their song called Untitled, Sam does some really nice lows in it.
Yeah dude, I'll check it out later today
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 am

https://youtu.be/U5Iv3YStLRw?t=1m32s
Is there any significant screams from 1:32 to about 1:37? I think that I might be hearing something around the E♭5 range when he screams 'oh', but I'm not completely sure.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 am

First scream at 1:32 tops at a harsh ass e5, and the ones after at eb5. neat find. still need to note watch the rest of the discog. i'll probs make a range vid for him when i get back from the beach on sunday; fingers crossed
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:12 pm

Nice. I'll have to look through the rest of the album for high screams.

A range video would be awesome, can't wait to see it.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:17 pm

ReclusiveShade wrote:Nice. I'll have to look through the rest of the album for high screams.

A range video would be awesome, can't wait to see it.
there's bound to be more stuff in that area. as soon as i'm back, i'll finish the note watching the discog, and then maybe within a day or two after that i should get the vid out. i'm a slow worker, but i shouldn't have too much going on for the rest of the month.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:15 pm

sort of unrelated note, but architects play in some annoying ass tunings lol. seriously, to play their songs i need 11 gauge strings, and a 12 gauge just for the low e. seriously, what is f-f#-b-e-g#-c#, and why would somebody willingly tune their guitar to this abomination lol
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:28 am

Yeah they do haha. I wanted to learn gravedigger and I had to get super thick strings, they weren't the most comfortable to play, that's for sure. I read somewhere that Tom said that his guitar accidentally went out of tune on tour and that's how he came up with the tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs2EjghRQVA
This song also has some high screams in it as well. There are E♭5's peppered throughout it and i'm not sure but I think that there may be some E5's in there as well, let me know if you hear anything else. I've been trying to pitch the scream when he says 'night' around the 2:21 area (https://youtu.be/Zs2EjghRQVA?t=2m21s) but i'm having some trouble, what are you hearing?
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:57 am

ReclusiveShade wrote:Yeah they do haha. I wanted to learn gravedigger and I had to get super thick strings, they weren't the most comfortable to play, that's for sure. I read somewhere that Tom said that his guitar accidentally went out of tune on tour and that's how he came up with the tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs2EjghRQVA
This song also has some high screams in it as well. There are E♭5's peppered throughout it and i'm not sure but I think that there may be some E5's in there as well, let me know if you hear anything else. I've been trying to pitch the scream when he says 'night' around the 2:21 area (https://youtu.be/Zs2EjghRQVA?t=2m21s) but i'm having some trouble, what are you hearing?
that 2nd clip you sent is an e5. and yeah, that chorus thingy had some eb5s
and yeah, i'd totally believe that he randomly found the tuning when his guitar went out of tune lol
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:22 pm

1:00 wtf are you hearing there? I'm stuck between a d5 or an f5.
EDIT - never mind, it's just a sharp e5  Cringe so close
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 pm

here's my note-watching for Ruin. definitly not my fav work by them, but i tried my best lol. btw, anything in bold are just screams; i'm too lazy to use green for just listing the notes off Razz

Ruin

Buried at Sea - Eb5, G#4, C#5
Hunt Them Down - C5, Bb4
You'll Find Safety - D5, E5, A4, G4
Always - G#4, Eb5
Heartless - D5, Eb5, A4
North Lane - E5, D5, A4, G#4
I Can't See the Light - F#4, G#4, A4
Low - E5, A4
Running from the Sun - A4, Eb5
Save Me - C#5, A4, B4, Eb5
Broken Clocks - B4
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks! And sorry for the late reply. I'll add them.

I also found some in studio stuff for hollow crown, it's pretty cool.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:48 pm

ReclusiveShade wrote:Thanks! And sorry for the late reply. I'll add them.
it's all good, we all have lives (except me apparently lol).
ReclusiveShade wrote:I also found some in studio stuff for hollow crown, it's pretty cool.
Spoiler:
and damn, that's a neat find. i can't recall the name of that song with the singing, but i really like the melody in that
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Should I add this to the thread? Haha Razz I think it has a couple of lows in it.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:27 pm

ReclusiveShade wrote:Should I add this to the thread? Haha Razz I think it has a couple of lows in it.
Spoiler:
lmao, it's your thread Laughing
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Nah, I'll exclude that masterpiece. Haha

I'll have to go through his live performances sometime soon and see if he hits any significant notes as well.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:36 pm

i'm gonna try and finish note-watching the discog tomorrow. not a big fan of the last 2 albums i have to note-watch, so pray for me lol Freak
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:42 pm

I will haha. Maybe he'll surpass an E5 somewhere in there.
ReclusiveShade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:44 pm

ReclusiveShade wrote:I will haha. Maybe he'll surpass an E5 somewhere in there.
idk. i hate pitching screams, so hopefully there'll be something noteworthy enough to be worth my time Laughing if not, i'm going to throw a fit
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:52 am

sorry, i'm very behind on note watching. i had to push one thread ahead of all the others (kellin), so i didn't get a chance to note watch the last few albums that day. tuesday will be normal (since monday is freedom day God bless USA have to celebrate that), so i'll probably start scripting the vid and finish the discog that day. hopefully things go as planned Pray
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum