Sam Carter

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:47 pm


Voice Type: Tenor
Total Range: F♯2-E5
Sung Range: F♯2-E♭5
"BLEGH" Count: too damn many
Lead singer of the metalcore band Architects. Carter has shown just how diverse his voice is throughout his career with the band. He started out primarily screaming on their early works but moved to a mix of both screaming and singing on their more recent albums.

He is known primarily for his harsh, high pitched screaming but has proven that he has a strong singing voice as well. He shows strength in his lower range, while showing great control up into his higher range.

High-Notes:

E5- ("Delete.Rewind", "Low", "North Lane", "Stay Young Forever", "You'll Find Safety")
E♭5- ("All Love Is Lost", "Always", "Buried At Sea", "Black Blood", "C.A.N.C.E.R", "Deathwish", "Delete.Rewind", "The Distant Blue", "Eleven Eyes", "Gravity", "Heartless", "Memento Mori", "Naysayer", "Running From the Sun", "Save Me", "Stay Young Forever", "The Empty Hourglass", "These Colors Don't Run" Live in Vancouver, "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
D5- ("A Match Made in Heaven", "All Love Is Lost", "Deathwish", "From the Wilderness", "Gone With the Wind", "Heartless", "Memento Mori", "Nihilist", "North Lane", "Phantom Fear", "To the Death", "You'll Find Safety")
C♯5- ("A Match Made in Heaven", "All Love Is Lost", "Alpha Omega", "An Open Letter to Myself", "Black Blood", "Broken Cross", "Buried At Sea", "Cracks in the Earth", "Dead Man Talking", "Deathwish", "Devil's Island", "The Distant Blue", "Downfall", "The Empty Hourglass", "Even if you Win, You're Still a Rat", "Feather Of Lead", "From the Wilderness", "Gone With the Wind", "Gravedigger", "Gravity", "Memento Mori", "Naysayer", "Nihilist", "Outsider Heart", "Phantom Fear", "Save Me", "These Colors Don't Run", "Unbeliever", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
C5- ("Hunt Them Down")
B4- ("A Match Made in Heaven", "All Love Is Lost", "Alpha Omega", "Behind The Throne", "The Bitter End", "Black Blood", "Blood Bank", "Borrowed Time", "Broken Clocks", "Castles in the Air", "Colony Collapse", "Cracks in the Earth", "Daybreak", "Dead March", "Deathwish", "Delete.Rewind", "Dethroned", "Devil's Island", "Downfall", "Early Grave",  "The Empty Hourglass", "Even If You Win, You're Still A Rat", "Every Last Breath", "Feather Of Lead", "Follow the Water", "From the Wilderness", "Gravedigger", "Gravity", "Hollow Crown", "In Elegance", "Left with a Last Minute", "Memento Mori", "Naysayer", "Numbers Count for Nothing", "Of Dust and Nations", "One of These Days", "Outsider Heart", "Phantom Fear", "Save Me", "These Colors Don't Run", "To the Death", "Truth, Be Told", "Unbeliever", "Untitled", "We're All Alone", "Year in Year Out/Up and Away")
B♭4- ("The Blues", "Borrowed Time", "BTN", "Day In, Day Out", "Deathwish", "Delete.Rewind", "Devil's Island", "The Empty Hourglass", "Hunt Them Down", "Memento Mori", "Nihilist", "Numbers Count for Nothing", "One of These Days", "Outsider Heart", "Phantom Fear", "Rise Against", "The Sadness Will Never End", "These Colors Don't Run", "Truth, Be Told", "You're Killing It (Downer)")
A4- ("An Open Letter to Myself", "Dead March", "Every Last Breath", "Follow the Water", "Gone With the Wind", "Heartburn", "Heartless", "Hollow Crown", "I Can't See the Light", "I Can't See the Light", "In Elegance", "Low", "North Lane", "Of Dust and Nations", "Running From the Sun", "Save Me", "We're All Alone", "You'll Find Safety")
G♯4- ("All Love Is Lost", "Alpha Omega", "Always", "Behind the Throne", "Black Blood", "The Blues", "Buried At Sea", "Colony Collapse", "Cracks in the Earth", "Daybreak", "Deathwish", "Delete.Rewind", "Dethroned", "Devil's Island", "The Empty Hourglass", "Feather Of Lead", "Follow the Water", "Hollow Crown", "I Can't See the Light", "In Elegance", "Every Last Breath", "Learn to Live", "Left with a Last Minute", "Memento Mori", "Nihilist", "North Lane", "Phantom Fear", "Red Eyes", "Rise Against", "Truth, Be Told", "We're All Alone", "Year in Year Out/Up and Away", "You're Killing It (Downer)")
G4- ("Band of Brothers", "Blood Bank", "Dead March", "Of Dust and Nations", "The Sadness Will Never End", "You'll Find Safety", "You're Killing It (Downer)")
F♯4- ("Alpha Omega", "An Open Letter to Myself", "Behind The Throne", "Black Blood", "Cracks in the Earth", "Daybreak", "Delete.Rewind", "Devil's Island", "Follow the Water", "I Can't See the Light", "Rise Against", "Truth, Be Told", "Unbeliever", "Untitled", "We're All Alone")

Low-Notes:

E3- ("Colony Collapse", "Cracks in the Earth", "Follow the Water", "Hollow Crown", "In Elegance", "Of Dust and Nations")
E♭3- ("Behind The Throne", "The Bitter End", "BTN", "Castles in the Air", "Cracks in the Earth", "Devil's Island", "Eleven Eyes", "Even If You Win, You're Still A Rat", "Outsider Heart", "Rise Against", "Truth, Be Told", "Untitled")
D3- ("Hollow Crown")
C♯3- ("Behind The Throne", "The Bitter End", "BTN", "Cracks in the Earth", "Devil's Island", "Hollow Crown", "In Elegance", "Outsider Heart", "Rise Against", "Truth, Be Told", "Unbeliever", "Untitled")
B2- ("Castles in the Air", "The Distant Blue", "Outsider Heart", "Truth, Be Told", "Unbeliever", "Untitled", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
A2- ("Hollow Crown", "Unbeliever")
G♯2- ("Castles in the Air", "Outsider Heart", "Untitled", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
F♯2- ("The Distant Blue")
.......................................................................................
*Underline - denotes backing vocals/vocals obscured in the mix
*Italics - denotes non-melodic notes/spoken notes
*Green/Italics - denotes harsh, distorted, xXhArDc0r3Xx skrams


Contributors:
Demi


Last edited by ReclusiveShade on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:18 pm; edited 30 times in total
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:25 am

hmmm, didn't even know this thread existed lol
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  glds on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:28 am

Gonna be honest, I despise this band with a burning passion.

glds
Range Advisor

Posts : 814
Join date : 2015-05-16
Age : 1016
Location : Meth houses

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:36 am

gaylorddicksucker wrote:Gonna be honest, I despise this band with a burning passion.
ookay
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:38 pm

gaylorddicksucker wrote:Gonna be honest, I despise this band with a burning passion.

Well at least you're honest haha.
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Rebsedd on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Yeah I saw them live without hearing their studio work last year, then heard maybe one whole album

I didn't like them
avatar
Rebsedd
Memelord

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 19
Location : CWCville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:52 am

Dead Reb wrote:Yeah I saw them live without hearing their studio work last year, then heard maybe one whole album

I didn't like them

When I first heard them I didn't really like them, but after relistening to a few of their songs they started to grow on me. Do you remember what album you listened to?
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:52 am

Hollow Crown is probably their best work. It's just funny how similar Sam and Oli Sykes sound at this point in their careers. Also, starting his lows at Eb is probably more appropriate.
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:34 am

Demi wrote:Hollow Crown is probably their best work. It's just funny how similar Sam and Oli Sykes sound at this point in their careers. Also, starting his lows at Eb is probably more appropriate.

Yeah Hollow Crown is definitely one of my favorites, and Sam and Oli did sound really similar back then, but now both of their styles are completely different from one another. When I did the lows I just quickly found lows notes from two songs and threw them up there so I had something for the time being, so in other words I still have to do all of the lows. I'll probably start working on them after I do the highs from their new album.
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:40 am

ReclusiveShade wrote:
Demi wrote:Hollow Crown is probably their best work. It's just funny how similar Sam and Oli Sykes sound at this point in their careers. Also, starting his lows at Eb is probably more appropriate.

Yeah Hollow Crown is definitely one of my favorites, and Sam and Oli did sound really similar back then, but now both of their styles are completely different from one another. When I did the lows I just quickly found lows notes from two songs and threw them up there so I had something for the time being, so in other words I still have to do all of the lows. I'll probably start working on them after I do the highs from their new album.
Yeah, I found a bunch of lows from Lost F/T. The tracks towards the end of
the album have some great low singing.
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:00 am

Demi wrote:
ReclusiveShade wrote:
Demi wrote:Hollow Crown is probably their best work. It's just funny how similar Sam and Oli Sykes sound at this point in their careers. Also, starting his lows at Eb is probably more appropriate.

Yeah Hollow Crown is definitely one of my favorites, and Sam and Oli did sound really similar back then, but now both of their styles are completely different from one another. When I did the lows I just quickly found lows notes from two songs and threw them up there so I had something for the time being, so in other words I still have to do all of the lows. I'll probably start working on them after I do the highs from their new album.
Yeah, I found a bunch of lows from Lost F/T. The tracks towards the end of
the album have some great low singing.

Yeah, LF//LT has some decent lows. Do you happen to have any of them pitched?
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:12 am

I'm working on pitching them now Wink
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:36 am

So far, B2s in The Distant Blue, harmony B2s and G#2s in Youth Is Wasted on the Young, fronting Eb3s and brief G#2s in Castles in the Air, and fronting E3s in Colony Collapse
Also he's a blatant tenor, so I guess you could put that as a voice type, if you want Yeah! I'm suprised he doesn't use his low range more, considering how comfortable he sounds in the 3rd/high 2nd octave. It's a shame really
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Smile Hopefully he'll do some more lows on the next album, they suit his style really well.
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:50 am

ReclusiveShade wrote:
Voice Type: Tenor
Total Range: F♯2-F♯5
Sung Range: F♯2-E♭5

Lead singer of the metalcore band Architects. Carter has shown just how diverse his voice is throughout his career with the band. He started out primarily screaming on their early works but moved to a mix of both screaming and singing on their more recent albums.

He is known primarily for his harsh, high pitched screaming but has proven that he has a strong singing voice as well. He shows strength in his lower range, while showing great control up into his higher range.

High-Notes:

F♯5- ("Early Grave")
E♭5- ("C.A.N.C.E.R", "The Distant Blue", "Eleven Eyes", "Naysayer", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
C♯5- ("Alpha Omega", "An Open Letter to Myself", "Black Blood", "Broken Cross", "Dead Man Talking", "Even if you win, you're still a rat", "Gravedigger", "A Match Made in Heaven", "Naysayer", "Outsider Heart", "These Colors Don't Run", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
B4- ("Alpha Omega", "Castles in the Air", "Colony Collapse", "Daybreak", "Delete.Rewind", "Devil's Island", "Early Grave", "Every Last Breath", "Feather of Lead", "Gravedigger", "Naysayer", "In Elegance", "Outsider Heart", "Truth, Be Told", "Untitled", "Year in Year Out/Up and Away")
B♭4- ("The Blues", "BTN", "Day In, Day Out", "Delete.Rewind", "Rise Against", "The Sadness Will Never End")
A4- ("An Open Letter to Myself", "Of Dust and Nations", "Every Last Breath", "Heartburn", "In Elegance", "We're All Alone", "You'll Find Safety")
G♯4- ("Alpha Omega", "Behind the Throne", "The Blues", "Colony Collapse", "Daybreak", "Dethroned", "In Elegance", "Every Last Breath", "Learn to Live", "Red Eyes", "Rise Against", "We're All Alone", "Year in Year Out/Up and Away")
G4- ("Band of Brothers", "Dead March", "Of Dust and Nations", "The Sadness Will Never End")
F♯4- ("An Open Letter to Myself", "Unbeliever", "Untitled")

Low-Notes:

E3- ("Colony Collapse")
E♭3- ("Castles in the Air")
B2- ("Castles in the Air", "The Distant Blue", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
G♯2- ("Castles in the Air", "Youth is Wasted on the Young")
F♯2- ("The Distant Blue")
.......................................................................................
*Underline - denotes backing vocals/vocals obscured in the mix
*Italics - denotes non-melodic notes/spoken notes
*Green - denotes harsh, distorted, shouted/scream-sung notes
*Green/Italics - denotes harsh, distorted, xXhArDc0r3Xx skrams
I fixed the formatting, colors, and the order of the low notes Thumb up I'll go through the rest of the discog for low notes soon
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:33 am

Awesome, thanks! Thumb up
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri May 06, 2016 3:33 am

Hey, do you have a timestamp for the F#5 in Early Grave? I haven't heard anything that high, but maybe I'm just missing it or something? Confused
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Fri May 06, 2016 4:22 pm

https://youtu.be/LgZWEAhj3Uo?t=50s

He hits the F♯5 when he says "back" at the end of the line where he says "I'm not looking back". It starts at an F♯5 and kinda starts to fall flat towards the end from what I can hear. Normally I wouldn't even bother with pitching screams but I thought that since it was sustained and he hits it multiple times in the song that I should include it. I think it's an F♯5 (maybe slightly flat) but if you hear something different just let me know and I'll change it.
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri May 06, 2016 10:06 pm

ReclusiveShade wrote:https://youtu.be/LgZWEAhj3Uo?t=50s

He hits the F♯5 when he says "back" at the end of the line where he says "I'm not looking back". It starts at an F♯5 and kinda starts to fall flat towards the end from what I can hear. Normally I wouldn't even bother with pitching screams but I thought that since it was sustained and he hits it multiple times in the song that I should include it. I think it's an F♯5 (maybe slightly flat) but if you hear something different just let me know and I'll change it.
oh... it's a B4 dude  Sad he hits that scream in pretty much every song on the album
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sat May 07, 2016 8:59 am

Demi wrote:
oh... it's a B4 dude  Sad he hits that scream in pretty much every song on the album

Oh, Ok. I'll just remove it altogether since it's only a scream and it's not really adding anything significant. Thumb up
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat May 07, 2016 10:35 am

ReclusiveShade wrote:
Demi wrote:
oh... it's a B4 dude  Sad he hits that scream in pretty much every song on the album

Oh, Ok. I'll just remove it altogether since it's only a scream and it's not really adding anything significant. Thumb up
well screams can be significant, but those weren't really lol. I'd still keep looking out for any really high ones.
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sat May 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Yeah, I'll have to go through all of the albums again. Maybe he does have a really high scream hidden somewhere.
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun May 29, 2016 2:52 am

You're missing some notes dude. Suprisingly super clean Bb4s and G#4s in the backing vocals of Deathwish as well as a screamed D5, Nihilist has a sung D5, C#5, G#4, and Bb4, Phantom Fear has some screamed D5, and just because of how clean it is, I'd count the G#4 too. I'll let you know what else I find. Also, what do you think of the album so far?
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  ReclusiveShade on Sun May 29, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks! I added them. I'm planning on going through their discog for highs again because i'm sure i've missed notes elsewhere. The album is awesome. It might be just me but I think that Sam is using even more distortion on his notes than on the last album because I'm finding the notes a little harder to pitch. The addition of more clean parts is great too, he has a great clean voice even though he sticks to screams most of the time.
Oh, and by the way, are you hearing anything above an Eb5 in Momento Mori? Because I think I'm hearing either brief Eb5's that are slightly sharp or just E5's, but there's alot of distortion on the notes so I can't really say for sure.
avatar
ReclusiveShade

Posts : 31
Join date : 2015-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun May 29, 2016 9:08 am

ReclusiveShade wrote:Thanks! I added them. I'm planning on going through their discog for highs again because i'm sure i've missed notes elsewhere. The album is awesome. It might be just me but I think that Sam is using even more distortion on his notes than on the last album because I'm finding the notes a little harder to pitch. The addition of more clean parts is great too, he has a great clean voice even though he sticks to screams most of the time.
Oh, and by the way, are you hearing anything above an Eb5 in Momento Mori? Because I think I'm hearing either brief Eb5's that are slightly sharp or just E5's, but there's alot of distortion on the notes so I can't really say for sure.
I actually finished notewatching the album before my mouse broke, so once I'm home I'll update you with the rest of the notes. And I really love the album too. Phenomenal instrumental work, and Sam has never sounded meaner. I agree, it's an odd mix of less distortion and yet even more distortion than the last few albums. The bits of crystal clear high singing in between the screams and harsh singing is pretty neat too. I'm just bummed that he didn't sing below G#3 a couple of times Cringe
Anyways, Momento Mori didn't get above those extremely harsh Eb5s on the latter half of the album, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe one of them did peak at E5, but I wasn't positive. I'll check those again. Great closing track as well. It kind of reminded me of Suicide Season, especially with the heavy electronic aspects.
avatar
Princesszolli Demi

Posts : 3011
Join date : 2014-09-10
Age : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Carter

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum