Chris Rupp

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chris Rupp

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:15 am

Currently unfinished.

Voice Type: Baritone
Vocal Range: G♯1 - G♯5

Chris Rupp is a country singer and former baritone singer of southern-influenced acapella group Home Free. After founding the band in 2000, he sang with them and arranged many of their songs until April of 2016, at which point he split off and began pursuing a solo career. His first solo album, Shine, was released on January 8, 2016, containing all originals (including the title song).

As a vocalist, Rupp is not without talent. There were many of Home Free's arrangements which called for the group's bass vocalist to sing lead, forcing Rupp to take over the bass part. His low end is surprisingly solid, with chest voice allowing him to dip into the lower second octave with ease and kargyraa-growled register bringing that limit to the mid-first octave. His higher chest voice is also very solid, with a confident sound well up to F4. Due to the nature of his baritone part during time with Home Free, his falsetto was relatively unused, although very good nonetheless when it was utilized. All in all, a great singer and jack-of-all-trades.        

High Notes:
G♯5 ("O Holy Night" live)
E5 ("The Butts Remix," "Bad Romance")
E♭5 ("O Holy Night" live, "Crown Him With Many Crowns")
C♯5 ("Goodbye, My Coney Island Baby," "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "Rockin' On Top Of The World")
B4 ("Shine")
B♭4 ("Gangnam Style," "Goodbye My Coney Island Baby," "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "Bad Romance")
A4 ("Go The Distance," "Country Reigns")
G♯4 ("Elvira," "O Holy Night," "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "Rockin' On Top Of The World," "Bad Romance")
G4 ("Pretty Woman," "Goodbye My Coney Island Baby," "Ring of Fire ft. Avi Kaplan," "Children, Go Where I Send Thee," "Shine," "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "Rockin' On Top Of The World")
F♯4 ("Country Fried Pop Medley," "The Butts Remix," "Cruise," "Ring of Fire," "Ring of Fire" live, "Go The Distance," "Shine," "Rockin' On Top Of The World," "Bad Romance")
F4 ("Fishin' in the Dark/Down in the Boondocks," "A Little Bit of Everything," "Life Is A Highway," "I Want Crazy," "This Is How We Roll," "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," "Go The Distance," "9 to 5," "Country Reigns")
E4 ("Elvira," "Country Fried Pop Medley," "A Whole New World," "O Holy Night," "Cruise," "I Want Crazy," "All About That Bass," "Do You Hear What I Hear," "Bad Romance")
E♭4 ("Fishin' in the Dark/Down in the Boondocks," "A Little Bit of Everything," "This is How We Roll," "Cruise," "Go The Distance," "9 to 5," "Bad Romance")

Lo Notez:
B2 ("Country Fried Pop Medley," "The Butts Remix," "King of the Road," "All About That Bass," "Ring of Fire," "Ring of Fire ft. Avi Kaplan," "Shine")
B♭2 ("Fishin' in the Dark/Down in the Boondocks," "Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On," live "This is How We Roll," "Ring of Fire")
A2 ("Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On," "The Butts Remix," "Feelin' It," "A Whole New World," "All About That Bass," "As You Wish," "Alabama Sampler")
G♯2 ("Champagne Taste (On a Beer Budget)" live, "O Holy Night," "All About That Bass," "Fishin' In The Dark/Down In The Boondocks," "Bad Romance")
G2 ("The Butts Remix," "King of the Road," "I Want Crazy")
F♯2 ("The Butts Remix," "Ring of Fire," "King of the Road," "O Holy Night," "Party Rock Anthem")
F2 ("Champagne Taste (On a Beer Budget)" live, "Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On" live, "Crown Him With Many Crowns")
E2 ("Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On," "Do You Hear What I Hear," "All About That Bass," "The Butts Remix")
E♭2 ("Champagne Taste (On a Beer Budget)" live, "Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On" live, "Ring of Fire" live, "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "Bad Romance")
D2 ("Thinking Out Loud/Let's Get It On," "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "Country Reigns," "Bad Romance")
C♯2 ("This Is How We Roll" live, "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "Friends in Low Places")
C2 ("King of the Road")
B♭1 ("Crown Him With Many Crowns")
G♯1 ("This Is How We Roll" live)

Underline means notes found in backing harmonies (or obscured by other vocals)
Blue indicates definite non-modal notes
Italics mark spoken/non-melodic notes

Parrot

Last edited by CoolBeans on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:22 am; edited 63 times in total
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chris Rupp

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:19 am

Is Chris singing the bassline that starts at 1:37, along with Tim? I was thinking at first that he was singing the “duh-nuh-nuh” around that part, but when his face comes up at 1:48 he looks like he’s singing the bassline (F♯2-F♯2-F♯2-A2-G2-G2-A2-G2). Thoughts?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AxelFuentes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:53 am

CoolBJ wrote:

Is Chris singing the bassline that starts at 1:37, along with Tim? I was thinking at first that he was singing the “duh-nuh-nuh” around that part, but when his face comes up at 1:48 he looks like he’s singing the bassline (F♯2-F♯2-F♯2-A2-G2-G2-A2-G2). Thoughts?
It's Chris Only. Tim is doing the beatboxing before adam does his record scratch solo.
I believe that in the studio version, Tim sings the guitar part as well.

Also, where's the E♭5?
AxelFuentes
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:11 am

AxelFuentes wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:

It's Chris Only. Tim is doing the beatboxing before adam does his record scratch solo.

Also, where's the E♭5?

Alright, thanks. The E♭5 is at 2:55.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AxelFuentes on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:21 am

CoolBJ wrote:
AxelFuentes wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:

Also, where's the E♭5?

Haha I should've noticed that before Laughing
AxelFuentes
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 am

AxelFuentes wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:
AxelFuentes wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:

Also, where's the E♭5?

Haha I should've noticed that before Laughing

Don't worry about it. That's why we have other people. Laughing
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toast on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:20 am

Huh, I didn't expect a thread to be made for this guy.
But yeah, with Chris Rupp, there is a ton more stuff that will have to be listened to for this thread to really be complete, considering Chris was one of the founders of the group and was a part of the band for the entire time that it's been around. So that means that there are a total of 7 albums (soon to be Cool, quite a few singles, all of the Sing-Off performances, and a ton of live performances to look through. Their older albums can actually be found on YouTube if you live in the right area.
So anyway:

Lead A2s in "Feelin' It".

Some lead E♭4s and F4s in "A Little Bit of Everything".

Chris sang the bassline for "Ring of Fire" when Home Free was on the Sing-Off. Leads to a few F♯2s in the background.
Spoiler:

In one of their older covers of "King of the Road", I'm pretty sure that Chris did the bassline for that song since Elliot, the old bass for Home Free, was singing the lead. A lot of B2s, a couple of F♯2s, a few G2s, and a C2 at the end.
Spoiler:

In "This is How We Roll", there's a B♭2 at 0:33 and an E♭4 at 2:54.
Spoiler:
More importantly, though, Chris sings the bassline in the live version whenever Tim sings the lead. This leads to some C♯2s and some... G♯1s? Am I hearing that correctly? I know that they're probably growled, but damn.

Also, if somebody is able to dig into the harmonies of the "Coney Island Baby" bit of "Songs That Didn't Make the Cut", then we may have some new high notes to list.
Toast
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:57 am

Awesome list. Can you link me to a live version of This Is How We Roll that has the notes you're speaking of? I'd like to hear them for myself.

Aaaand I'll check out the Coney Island Baby segment but I'm going to need help dissecting some of it. Hopefully we can get a lot more people to contribute to this thread since, as you said, we have a lot more to cover.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toast on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:15 pm

CoolBJ wrote:Awesome list. Can you link me to a live version of This Is How We Roll that has the notes you're speaking of? I'd like to hear them for myself.
Oh shit, I forgot to link that, didn't I?
Here you go:
Spoiler:

EDIT: Oh, and could I have a timestamp to the D2s in "Thinking Out Loud / Let's Get it On"?
Toast
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:34 pm

The Toasted Turkey wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:Awesome list. Can you link me to a live version of This Is How We Roll that has the notes you're speaking of? I'd like to hear them for myself.
Oh shit, I forgot to link that, didn't I?
Here you go:
Spoiler:

Wow, that's sick! Almost sounded like Tim for a minute. Shocked  

Oh, and could I have a timestamp to the D2s in "Thinking Out Loud / Let's Get it On"?

Bassline where Tim starts singing lead would be at 3:05 (which I'm assuming would be where Chris takes over). You can see at 3:05 and 3:22 by the shape of his mouth that he's not singing the "oo-oo" like he was in the Thinking Out Loud section (having been replaced by Austin, presumably). It also looks like he does a quick slide down to D2 at 3:25 as well.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:49 pm

I found "Songs That Didn't Make The Cut" on Facebook. Not great, but it was all I could find at the time.
https://www.facebook.com/homefreevocalband/videos/535668599310/

Goodbye My Cony Island Baby starts at 6:10. I found A4-F4 at 6:33 and what I believe to be E♭5 at 6:40. Anything else?

Last edited by CoolBJ on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toast on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:51 pm

CoolBJ wrote:
Oh, and could I have a timestamp to the D2s in "Thinking Out Loud / Let's Get it On"?

Bassline where Tim starts singing lead would be at 3:05 (which I'm assuming would be where Chris takes over). You can see at 3:05 and 3:22 by the shape of his mouth that he's not singing the "oo-oo" like he was in the Thinking Out Loud section (having been replaced by Austin, presumably). It also looks like he does a quick slide down to D2 at 3:25 as well.

Huh, I didn't notice that was Chris doing that. I thought that it was just Tim doing the bassline there, because Home Free does have a habit of layering the voice parts on top of each other.
Toast
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:55 pm

CoolBJ wrote:

Huh, I didn't notice that was Chris doing that. I thought that it was just Tim doing the bassline there, because Home Free does have a habit of layering the voice parts on top of each other.

I was thinking the same thing; I hesitated adding the note because I knew that the multi-tracking was a possibility, but it made sense after I looked it over.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Rupp has much more of a baritonal quality whenever he takes the bass lines, so that's how I personally can tell the difference.

E2 in "Do You Hear What I Hear" (at the section where Foust sings the E1; Rupp even said so himself in the "Full of Cheer" track-by-track video on their channel).
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:25 pm

The Long Shot wrote:Rupp has much more of a baritonal quality whenever he takes the bass lines, so that's how I personally can tell the difference.

Yeah, I hear his lower register as being a little softer than Tim's.

E2 in "Do You Hear What I Hear" (at the section where Foust sings the E1; Rupp even said so himself in the "Full of Cheer" track-by-track video on their channel).

I'm having trouble finding it. Is it layered over the E1?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toast on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:23 pm

CoolBJ wrote:

I think he's referring to the second E1 in the piece. ~3:15, by the way.
Toast
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:24 pm

CoolBJ wrote:

Aha! Added.

3:17 is a bugger, but it sounds like Chris tops off at G♯4 before sliding to E4. The only thing that confuses me is the fact that all five of them are singing yet G♯ is the lowest note at that point. So what the heck is Tim singing if Chris is singing the G♯4?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:14 am

CoolBJ wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:

Aha! Added.

3:17 is a bugger, but it sounds like Chris tops off at G♯4 before sliding to E4. The only thing that confuses me is the fact that all five of them are singing yet G♯ is the lowest note at that point. So what the heck is Tim singing if Chris is singing the G♯4?

I'm having to use live performances to check (of which there are only two on YouTube, which means I still don't have much to work with), but this is what I think is happening on that weird first inversion E major chord.

Chris: G♯4-E4
Austin: B4-A4-F♯4 (lead)
Adam: B4-A4
Rob: E5
Tim: G♯5-C5

Spoiler:

G♯5 is clearly audible in this.

If my transcription is accurate, then we also have a new highest studio note for Tim.
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AxelFuentes on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:07 am

The Long Shot wrote:

I'm having to use live performances to check (of which there are only two on YouTube, which means I still don't have much to work with), but this is what I think is happening on that weird first inversion E major chord.

Spoiler:

If my transcription is accurate, then we also have a new highest studio note for Tim.
Hold up. G♯5?! Timestamp please!
AxelFuentes
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:30 am

AxelFuentes wrote:
The Long Shot wrote:

Spoiler:

Hold up. G♯5?! Timestamp please!

4:12. It would seem to be him by the look on his face.
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AcapellaBass on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 am

CoolBJ wrote:4:12. It would seem to be him by the look on his face.
I'd actually say that's the exact reason it isn't him.
His look is the exact opposite of his expression when singing the G5 from Thinking Out Loud.

Around 3:16 I believe.

At 1:06, the G5.

He looks so calm and easy singing it. I asked about that part of the song in Tim's or Austin's thread, and somebody said Tim sung a G#4.
I'd rather say the G#5 is sung by Chris, look at the movements of his arms, head and body in general. It looks as if he's pushing a high note out Whistle

Though, I have to admit ... it does sound an awful lot like Tim sings it Dance

AcapellaBass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 am

AcapellaBass wrote:
CoolBJ wrote:4:12. It would seem to be him by the look on his face.
I'd actually say that's the exact reason it isn't him.
His look is the exact opposite of his expression when singing the G5 from Thinking Out Loud.

Huh, looking at him I would've thought he was uncomfortable, as if he was pushing it out.

Around 3:16 I believe.

I'd rather say the G#5 is sung by Chris, look at the movements of his arms, head and body in general. It looks as if he's pushing a high note out Whistle

He would still be pushing a high note out if he were singing G♯4. I'm not outright denying the possibility that he is singing the G♯5 (as a matter of fact, I hope he is); I'd just like some more opinions.

EDIT: But you are right; Chris's head movements do seem to match G5-E♭5 (the live version's a semitone lower).
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Long Shot on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:14 am

The reason I think it's Tim is twofold. #1: IMO he definitely looks like he's struggling a bit to get his note out. And going by the sound of their respective voices/facial expressions, it's definitely not Austin (distinctive voice), Austin (facial expression shows that he's not showing any strain) or Rob (facial expression shows him sustaining his note). This leaves it between Chris and Tim. So now it comes to reason #2: who is more likely to be assigned that note: Chris, who rarely sings out of baritone range and is singing just prior to the note on the record, or Tim, who has sang that high with Home Free before and has plenty of time to take a breath and ready his voice for the note?
The Long Shot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CoolBeans on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 am

The Long Shot wrote:The reason I think it's Tim is twofold. #1: IMO he definitely looks like he's struggling a bit to get his note out. And going by the sound of their respective voices/facial expressions, it's definitely not Austin (distinctive voice), Austin (facial expression shows that he's not showing any strain) or Rob (facial expression shows him sustaining his note). This leaves it between Chris and Tim. So now it comes to reason #2: who is more likely to be assigned that note: Chris, who rarely sings out of baritone range and is singing just prior to the note on the record, or Tim, who has sang that high with Home Free before and has plenty of time to take a breath and ready his voice for the note?

Which brings up another question: why does Rob take over Chris's part in the live versions? Wouldn't that just as well have been done to give Chris an opportunity to be ready to sing the note?
CoolBeans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toast on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:57 am

I will just say that I don't think the G♯5 in the studio version exists.
Besides Austin's leading vocals, I'm hearing 4 other layers in the harmony. Here are the layers from highest to lowest (timings not taken into account):
A sustained E5.
E5-C♯5-C5
B4-A4
G♯4-E4

If I had to guess, Tim is probably singing the second layer (B4-A4) in the background in his falsetto register. The higher two layers don't sound like they're coming from Tim. I'm going to say that the two E5 layers are coming from Adam and Rob (not sure which belongs to whom, though). And yeah, lowest layer is from Chris.

In the live version, however... mostly the same case. Only difference is that Rob and Chris switch parts, and Scratch that, the harmonies do sound a bit different. Rob and Chris do switch when going into the harmony, though, and Tim still sings the same part. Everything is also a semitone down from the studio version. I can actually hear the G♯5 this time as well (It's kind of an overshot note, though, considering the song is tuned down a half-step). I am actually going to say that it's Chris hitting that high note, though.
Toast
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top