View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dame Shirley Bassey

Post  ChillShaman on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:43 am

Voice Type: Contralto
Vocal Range: D3-E5

Significant High Notes:

E5 ("Ave Maria")
E♭5 ("Goldfinger")
D5 ("A Foggy Day in London Town", "As Long As He Needs Me", "Thunderball", "Who Wants to Live Forever (Live 1996)")
C#5 ("Big Spender", "Diamonds Are Forever", "In Other Words (Fly Me to the Moon) (Live)")
C5 ("Easy to Love", "I've Got You Under My Skin" "I've Never Been in Love Before", "I (Who Have Nothing)", "Light My Fire", "S'wonderful")
B4 ("April in Paris", "I'll Remember April", "Moonraker", "The Man That Got Away", "My Way")

Significant Low Notes:

A3 ("Diamonds Are Forever")
G#3 ("Goldfinger (Live 2012)")
G3 ("A Foggy Day in London Town", "Ave Maria", "Big Spender (Live 2001)", "In Other Words (Fly Me to the Moon) (Live)", "I've Never Been in Love Before", "The Man That Got Away", "My Way")
F#3 ("April in Paris", "Cry Me a River", "Moonraker")
F3 ("I've Got You Under My Skin")
E3 ("The Show Must Go On (Live 1996)", "Who Wants to Live Forever (Live 1996)")
D3 ("Easy to Love")

*Underlined marks notes in backing vocals or otherwise muffled/obscured in the song mix.
*Blue marks soft falsetto notes.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.

Dame Shirley Bassey is a Welsh singer, most well known for singing the theme tunes to several James Bond films, most notably 'Goldfinger'. She has a wonderfully powerful voice, which she's kept remarkably well all these years. Sources say that she had lessons with a singer called Harold Miller. This is the first thread I've done for a female singer, so there's probably lots of things I'm doing wrong. I have noticed that this thread is currently incredibly bare, but I'll get round to going through her HUGE discography soon.

This was performed when she was 65, and has an amazing C#5 at the end!

Last edited by Ollie on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:37 am; edited 9 times in total
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dame Shirley Bassey

Post  SubjectAlpha on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Surprised you didn't inclid the C#5 you posted. It is reallyt strong and beautiful! Thumb up
SubjectAlpha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:19 am

SubjectAlpha wrote:Surprised you didn't inclid the C#5 you posted. It is reallyt strong and beautiful! Thumb up

I was going to, but she's dropped the song a whole tone since she started singing it, so it's not the highest one she's done. It does give me chills every time I hear it though! Smile
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A-flat miner on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:34 pm

Shirley Bassey studied with someone named Harold Miller, who I don't know anything about, but Annie Haslam (of Renaissance) mentioned him here:

youtube.com/watch?v=n3BEoUf7VQw&t=40

The interview is from 1983 but Annie Haslam's contact with Harold Miller would have been around 1969.

A-flat miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:14 am

A-flat miner wrote:Shirley Bassey studied with someone named Harold Miller, who I don't know anything about, but Annie Haslam (of Renaissance) mentioned him here:

youtube.com/watch?v=n3BEoUf7VQw&t=40

The interview is from 1983 but Annie Haslam's contact with Harold Miller would have been around 1969.

Ooooh, that's interesting thanks! Did you make an account just to post that? Shocked
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A-flat miner on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:59 am

Heh, actually I made the account a couple weeks ago to post about Annie Haslam, but account creation was having some trouble then, so I didn't get activated til yesterday. I remembered the Shirley Bassey mention because I'd been watching Annie Haslam videos a few days earlier and taking some notes. I liked those James Bond songs but didn't know who sang them.

Web search on Shirley Bassey and Harold Miller finds a little more info about him: he was a "renowned London voice coach" who also taught opera singer Carlo Dini and movie star Julie Andrews, plus Diane Todd:

scotsman.com/news/obituaries/obituary-diane-todd-1-803542

A-flat miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:18 am

A-flat miner wrote:Heh, actually I made the account a couple weeks ago to post about Annie Haslam, but account creation was having some trouble then, so I didn't get activated til yesterday.  I remembered the Shirley Bassey mention because I'd been watching Annie Haslam videos a few days earlier and taking some notes.  I liked those James Bond songs but didn't know who sang them.

Web search on Shirley Bassey and Harold Miller finds a little more info about him: he was a "renowned London voice coach" who also taught opera singer Carlo Dini and movie star Julie Andrews, plus Diane Todd:

scotsman.com/news/obituaries/obituary-diane-todd-1-803542

Holy shit, having Julie Andrews and SHIRLEY BASSEY as your students??
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Soprano Baritone on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:39 am

You sure she's contralto? She sounds more like dramatic mezzo to me. Maybe now when she's almost 80 her voice has some contralto qualities but I'm not sure if she really is one.

Soprano Baritone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Shirley's vocal coach

Post  147chris on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:14 am

I'm a new member and can't post links but go to youtube and type in Shirley I am what I am Biography and at 36:44 Shirley speaks about her vocal coach.

147chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 am

Karl
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Private Perineum on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:02 pm

Kaby wrote:You sure she's contralto? She sounds more like dramatic mezzo to me. Maybe now when she's almost 80 her voice has some contralto qualities but I'm not sure if she really is one.

Agreed.

Great to see a thread having been made for Shirley, by the way! Flawless, huge voice.
Private Perineum

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Post  ChillShaman on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Man, I am not looking forward to note watching all of her albums...
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top