Post  Rebsedd on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Last edited by dead reb on Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ...........

Post  RevDrucifer on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:07 am

Hey brother! I saw your PM this weekend but didn't have time to write back.

Pretty damn slick, man!

Really, the biggest thing going against you is the amount of time you put into your recording. Vocally speaking, you've already figured out how to get into those higher registers with some power and you've got really good control. Listen right at 2:02, you hear that light fry rasp kick in on the second syllable of the word "hungry" and you can tell that that word is just floatin' out of your throat, it probably felt effortless when tracking it and that's the kind of control/feel you always want to have. It sounds like you're starting to close up the throat a little bit on those higher notes, at the end of the word "hungraaaaAAAAAAAYAAAYAAA", you can't tell right away, but by the very end of the word you can hear that you're 'dropping' the note like it was getting too heavy to carry.

When you reach for those higher notes, try try bringing your chin/lower jaw down more while keeping the same throat pressure the same the entire time you're reaching up for that note. Support from the diaphragm is how you want to get up there, not by tightening the throat.

Getting back to the recording thing; you've got the ability to actually sing stuff like this, take the time to nail it when recording. I'm not sure what you're using to record with and if you're unfamiliar with recording in general in can be pretty daunting, but the results are worth it.
What I hear when I listen to this is a guy who has the ability to get this song about 90% close to the original but only took enough time to get about 40% there.

One thing that will benefit you greatly is some compression on the vocals, that'll help tame those volume jumps. Like I said, not sure what you're using to record but I know you've got the ability to record two tracks at once so I'm assuming you've got some sort of DAW, I'm sure there's a compressor and a reverb effect in there. Depending on the compressor they'll have different ways of setting them but on average, try a 3:1 ratio, threshold in the middle and the gain will depend on how you're actually singing into it, you'll have to experiment with that. Here's a nice little bit of info on compression that'll make it easier to understand how it can help-
http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-beginners-guide-to-compression--audio-953

Compression is studio secret sauce, man. Sure, Chris Cornell is a great fucking singer....but Chris Cornell always has something in the studio and live....a great fucking compressor. Check out this video, see in the beginning as he's introducing himself he turns his face away from the mic and towards the camera, but the volume doesn't decrease one bit? That's because that mic is compressed to fuck and back. He can just about whisper that song out (and borderline does) and it'll sound like he's singing way above speaking volume.

My buddy got to see him at an acoustic radio gig. It was so cramped that when everyone sat on the floor, my buddy's foot was stuck against the leg of a chair. He's thinking he's going to have some fat radio guy's balls in his face when Chris walks in with an acoustic and sits in the exact chair. Lucky bastard got to hear him sing from about 2.5 feet away, no mics

Anyway-

I wouldn't be able to sing half the stuff I can if I hadn't had the experience of singing in the studio. Take the time when you record to listen to every nuance of your singing and don't keep a track unless you're happy with it 100%. Pinpoint weak spots in every phrase, note, breath. I'm sure the day Cornell recorded "Hunger Strike" there were 30 takes of "I'm going hungraaaaayyAAAAAAAAA" that sounded like ass and 10 that didn't. You end up practicing as you're trying to get it right and the repetition helps build muscle memory.

The guitarist, Mark Morton, from Lamb Of God said recently, "90% of the riffs I write suck, you people only hear the 10% that are good." and the same thing goes for singing. There's exceptions, obviously, but in general it's safe to say that there are more takes that DON'T make it to a record than takes that DO and there's a reason for that!
RevDrucifer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:49 am

Last edited by dead reb on Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RevDrucifer on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:08 am

Yeah man, ya don't want to be selling yourself short with just throwing down a take and calling it a day. If you're keeping a mindful ear on what you're recording and not accepting "Good nuff", you'll be teaching/training your vocals as you go. The best thing singers can do is record themselves so they can listen back objectively, you can only hear so much on the inside of your head.

Recording gear is getting cheaper by the day. Earlier this week I went and got a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. It costs $100 and it's got an XLR and a 1/4" input that goes out to USB so you can use it with whatever program you prefer. It came with Ableton Live, which is pretty slick, so if you don't have a decent recording program, there ya go. It also came with some nice EQ's and reverbs. For the most part, you don't have to worry about spending too much on a condenser mic, an SM58 will get by just fine. Unless you've got some really nice gear to plug a decent condenser into it, it's extra quality will be lost in the haze of 0's, 1's and analog/digital conversion.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettSolo

No set up hassle, either. I literally plugged it in and Garageband recognized it right away (even with an old ass version of GB), I enabled the track and started recording 30 seconds after I plugged the unit it (had to let Garageband load then open a track in that 30 seconds).

Keep up the good work, mang!
RevDrucifer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:29 am

Last edited by dead reb on Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:27 am

Last edited by dead reb on Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:32 am

Dead Reb wrote:https://instagram.com/p/8oOHphPtJP/ some low 2nd and 1st octave doodling.
That wasn't even that bad... Ninja
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 am

Last edited by dead reb on Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:51 am

Dead Reb wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:
Dead Reb wrote:https://instagram.com/p/8oOHphPtJP/ some low 2nd and 1st octave doodling.

https://instagram.com/p/8oPoBnvtLv/?taken-by=brucerebsedd here's some more doodling, this one's worse and fried but whatever.
I'm genuinely terrified now  Neutral
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:13 pm

Last edited by dead reb on Sun May 22, 2016 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:02 pm

Dead Reb wrote:
Dead Reb wrote:

https://instagram.com/p/8oPoBnvtLv/?taken-by=brucerebsedd here's some more doodling, this one's worse and fried but whatever.
I'm genuinely terrified now  Neutral

And I ain't even screaming. You should hear your own covers more often.
I don't enjoy listening to my own covers lol. Just doing them
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:55 pm

can you cover SLTP and or Lithium Question
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:31 am

Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:15 am

Dead Reb wrote:I was just fucking with you Demi, your covers are amazing. But if you listen to them from time to time it might help you improve.

And crack guy,
I don't know. They're so demanding and straight forward (at least SLTS) I like to play around a little bit, not that they're among my favourites! Maybe in a couple of weeks. But I'll defineatly keep it in mind for the days to come.

BTW I just got an audiobox USB interface and my SM58. So yay for that!
Yay Party And if you want to fuck around with your voice a bit, sing some Dir En Grey Wink It's sort of like vocal suicide, and it can be pretty fun, until your voice does give out. I'd say sing a song like Ruten no Tou or Ware Yami Tote, for my enjoyment Razz
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:31 am

Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:49 am

Dead Reb wrote:I'm quite familiar with Kyo's work. The guy is a beast no doubt, Dir En Grey is a great choice. But I'd have to see, I'm not that much of a range wanker anymore, I just want to solidify what I have so far. Maybe something with a couple of cool G5s here and there, and some stuff centered around the E2 area.
Well I was joking, but if you'd seriously do one I'd say go with something less wanky, but still pretty challenging. Ruten no Tou has that chorus melody of F5s and bottoms at F2 I think. Then there's something like Rinkaku, but there's also a ton of the heady singing in that as well.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:16 am

Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:25 am

Dead Reb wrote:Taking a small break from singing! Be expecting covers more often next week. I am gonna' take on some songs originally sung by Axl Rose, Eddie Vedder, M Shadows and more. Stay tuned Smile
Oh my gawd, I'm so excited Parrot
I will be taking a note from Shi-Shi's book of cover reviewing, and doing that for your covers. Can't wait dude!!! Very Happy
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  indielight on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:31 am

Dead Reb wrote:Taking a small break from singing! Be expecting covers more often next week. I am gonna' take on some songs originally sung by Axl Rose, Eddie Vedder, M Shadows and more. Stay tuned Smile

I think you can nail a Eddie Vedder song, mate Thumb up
indielight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Last edited by dead reb on Sun May 22, 2016 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Dead Reb wrote:Sorry for not being able to post covers at the moment. I've been running into some health issues and I might need to go through an operation soon. It involves my abdomen and apparently muscular tissue damage, which is why I can't sing for some time(my breathing technique would interfere and make it worse)

They'll get done as soon as I can sing safely.
Crying oh my god, I hope things aren't too serious. Just make sure you get better, so you can sing us Seize the Day. I dearly hope things go well though, and please rest.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:41 am

Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:02 am

Yay, an almost cover! Lovely ass falsetto, and your sexy grit In Love Excellent cover,
again lol
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 am

nice cover, I hear a touch of Robbie Williams in your voice until the mid of the cover, keep it up
hope you'll become Alive Reb Thumb up
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum