John Linnell (They Might Be Giants)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: John Linnell (They Might Be Giants)

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:
tf141soldier wrote:
Prince Crack Alexander wrote:I was just kidding dude learn to humor and that guy sounds nothing alike to bass
peter steel is bass, feargm is bass, this one - not

Unfortunately you're not very funny. Demi's funny. Take notes.

And do you know anything about the voice, how it works? Like, anything? Just because someone doesn't sound like a bass doesn't inherently mean they aren't. Just because he doesn't have a thundering, super-resonant low voice doesn't mean he's not a bass.
I'm flattered that you think that I'm funny considering no one else does lol but idk, he doesn't really sound that much like a bass to me. Bass-Baritone is a good "vois type" if you have to put one. Yeah!
Sadly, I'm being forced to kind of agree with Crack Puking

Hence why bass-baritone works
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:38 pm

tf141soldier wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:
tf141soldier wrote:
Prince Crack Alexander wrote:I was just kidding dude learn to humor and that guy sounds nothing alike to bass
peter steel is bass, feargm is bass, this one - not

Unfortunately you're not very funny. Demi's funny. Take notes.

And do you know anything about the voice, how it works? Like, anything? Just because someone doesn't sound like a bass doesn't inherently mean they aren't. Just because he doesn't have a thundering, super-resonant low voice doesn't mean he's not a bass.
I'm flattered that you think that I'm funny considering no one else does lol but idk, he doesn't really sound that much like a bass to me. Bass-Baritone is a good "vois type" if you have to put one. Yeah!
Sadly, I'm being forced to kind of agree with Crack Puking

Hence why bass-baritone works
Yeah, I'm, not hearing "Baritenor area" though Crack. Seriously, he sounds like a Bassy Baritone guy. Not Maynard Keenan lol
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Yeah, I'm not hearing "Baritenor area" though Crack. Seriously, he sounds like a Bassy Baritone guy. Not Maynard Keenan lol

^
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OP here

Post  Hemunter on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:36 am

sorry for the long Hiatus, I will begin updating again ASAP.

So about John Linnells voice type, there is no doubt in my mind that he is and always was a bass baritone. He strains any note above an E4, and while going through the They Might be Giants catalogue, I noted that many of the powerful climactic high notes were actually bellow E4. I would think to myself, "hmm a pretty powerful note, but only an E♭4 so I can't use it.

The reason some of you might be confused, is that They Might Be Giants have two lead singers that switch off vocal duties depending on who wrote the song. John Linnell is a nasally voiced Bass-Baritone, and John Flansburgh has a much lighter tone quality and higher pitch, but also a nasally quality which may have confused some of you. I've actually been wondering lately if that A4 was really Jinnell, or if it was Flansburgh doing the harmony.
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hemunter on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:39 am

Crack2Hack wrote:wait, is this the guy who sings "boss of me" from malcolm in the middle theme?

No that's John Flansburgh.
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:29 am

ow lol well that explains everything. that's why I asked in the prev page if john linnel is the one who sings that song but that yugioh kid  misunderstood whatsoever my question and replied something like "bas can hite E4" therefore meaning it is the singer which leads to shitty misunderstood derailment over nothing. now things are clear Smile
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hemunter on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:01 am

Crack2Hack wrote:ow lol well that explains everything. that's why I asked in the prev page if john linnel is the one who sings that song but that yugioh kid  misunderstood whatsoever my question and replied something like "bas can hite E4" therefore meaning it is the singer which leads to shitty misunderstood derailment over nothing. now things are clear Smile

'sall good, I was thinking about making a thread for Flansburgh too. The reason I didn't answer your question when you asked it was that I was taking a break from this forum.
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

Are any of the low parts in Fingertips him? I know there's a couple of guess singers on it, but some of the low parts have his dark quality to them
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Mon May 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Also, I'm not quite sure myself, but is it possible that the C2's in "They Might Be Giants" are actually John Flansburgh?

Edit: nvm, there is absolutely no way, they're far too dark
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

John Linnell

Post  IhateMana on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:13 pm

This is my attempt so far for the new site (the one I've done the most work on by far)

Spoiler:

Voice Type: He Might Be Bass-Baritone
Melodic Range: C2 - E5
Full Range: C2 - B5

Significant High Notes:
B5: (“Nothing’s Gonna Change My Clothes”)
E5: (“They Might Be Giants”)
D5: (“Where Your Eyes Don’t Go”)
C♯5: (“Turn Around”)
B4: (“Turn Around”)
A4: (“Rhythm Section Want Ad”)
G♯4: (“The Day”, “Where Your Eyes Don’t Go”)
G4: (“Destination Moon”, “Lucky Ball and Chain”, “The Statue Got Me High”, “Snowball in Hell”, “They Might Be Giants”)
F♯4: (“My Evil Twin”, “Narrow Your Eyes”, “Stand On Your Own Head”)
F4: (“Mr. Me”, “No One Knows My Plan”, “Number Three”, “See the Constellation”, “She’s Actual Size”, “Someone Keeps Moving My Chair”, “Why Must I be Sad”)
E4: (“Birdhouse in Your Soul”, “Cage & Aquarium”, “Dinner Bell”, “Everything Right is Wrong Again”, “Fingertips (All Alone, All By Myself)”, “I Should be Allowed to Think”, “I’ve Got a Match”, “Mammal”, “Out of Jail”, “Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love”, “See the Constellation”, “Snail Shell”, “Thermostat”, “Where Your Eyes Don’t Go” Live 1990, “Youth Culture Killed My Dog”)
E♭4: (“A Self Called Nowhere”, “Fingertips (Mysterious Whisper)”)
D4: (“Ana Ng”, “Destination Moon”, “Don’t Let’s Start”, “Everything Right is Wrong Again”, “Fingertips (Everything Is Catching On Fire)”, “Fingertips (I Walk Along Darkened Corridors)”, “Hide Away Folk Family”, “I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die”, “I Palindrome I”, “Mr. Me”, “Out of Jail”, “Pencil Rain”, “Purple Toupee”, “Rhythm Section Want Ad”, “Snail Shell”, “Snowball in Hell”, “The Statue Got Me High”, “Subliminal”, “Thermostat”, “They Might Be Giants”, “They’ll Need a Crane”, “Turn Around”, “We Want a Rock”, “Which Describes How You’re Feeling”, “Why Must I be Sad?”, “Women and Men”, “Your Racist Friend”)

Significant Low Notes:
B2: (“Ana Ng”, “Birdhouse in Your Soul”, “Dead”, “Dinner Bell”, “The End of the Tour”, “Fingertips (I’m Having a Heart Attack)”, “Kiss Me, Son of God”, “Nothing’s Gonna Change My Clothes”, “She’s An Angel”, “Stand On Your Own Head”)
B♭2: (“Destination Moon”, “Thermostat”, “Why Must I be Sad?”)
A2: (“Dinner Bell”, “The End of the Tour”, “Everything Right is Wrong Again”, “Fingertips (I Don’t Understand You)”, “I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die”, “No One Knows My Plan”, “Particle Man”, “Pencil Rain”, “Subliminal”, “Which Describes How You’re Feeling”, “Why Must I be Sad?”, “Window”)
G2: (“The Statue Got Me High”, “We Want a Rock”)
F♯2: (“Where Your Eyes Don’t Go”Live 1990)
F2: (“A Self Called Nowhere”, “Istanbul (Not Constantitnople)”)
E2: (“Istanbul (Not Constantinople)”, “Whistling in the Dark”)
D2: (“Birdhouse in Your Soul”, “Mr. Me”, “Spider”)
C♯2: (“Fingertips (Aren’t You the Guy Who Hit Me in the Eye?)”)
C2: (“They Might Be Giants”)

John Linnell is half of Brooklyn-based alternative rock duo They Might Be Giants and one of the two Johns that make up the core of the band. Writer of a lot of the band’s trademark quirky music and lyrics, Linnell often switches singing roles with the other John, John Flansburgh. Though both singers are both baritones and have a very distinctive nasally twang that drives most people nuts, Linnell has a decidedly much darker lower register and general traits to his voice associated with the bass-baritone vois type. Despite all his notes in the 4th octave and above are very forced, his intonation is always very consistent and his phrasing is always remarkable. Linnell is able to change his voice into funny characters or goofy timbres for different effects.

discography:

Green = completed

They Might Be Giants (Studio Albums):
They Might Be Giants
Lincoln
Flood
Apollo 18
John Henry
Factory Showroom
Long Tall Weekend
Mink Car
No!
The Spine
The Else
Here Come the 123s
Here Come the ABCs
Here Comes Science
Join Us
Nanobots
Glean
Why?
Phone Power

(EPs)
Back to Skull
Working Undercover for the Man
Bed, Bed, Bed
Indestructible Object

(other)
They Got Lost
Dial-A-Song

Solo:
State Songs

old op by Hemunter:
Voice Type: He Might Be Bass-Baritone
Total Range: C2-C#5

Significant Highs:
C#5 ("Turn Around")
A4 ("Rhythm Section Want Add, "The Mesopotamians", "Rat Patrol","Hey, Mr. DJ I Thought You Said We Had A Deal")
G4 ("Thunderbird", "Judy is Your Viet Nam (live)","Spiraling Shape", "Destination Moon")
F♯4 ("Montana", "Birdhouse in Your Soul (live), California Uber Alles", "Canajoharie", "Maine", "Broke in Two","Exquisite Dead Guy")
F4 ("House of Mayors","Someone Keeps Moving My Chair", "Mr Me", "No One Knows My Plan")
E4 ("Don't Let's Start", "Preamble: Fernando Wood", "House of Mayors", "Till My Head Falls Off", "Experimental Film", "Birdhouse in your soul","Snail Snail Shell", "I Should Be Allowed to Think", "Why Must I Be Sad", "Meet James Ensor (Live)", "Mammal", "West Virginia", "Sleep", "Wearing a Raincoat","How Can I Sing Like a Girl")

Significant Lows:

C2 ("Till My Head Falls Off Live","They Might be Giants")
D2 ("Mr. Me","Unpronounceable")
D♯2 ("Exquisite Dead Guy")
E2 ("Whistling in the dark", "Idaho", "Arkansas")
F2 ("Istanbul (Not Constantinople", "House of Mayors", "Oregon", "Stalk of Wheat", "Toddler High Way")
G♯2("The End of The Tour", "Am I Awake")
G2 ("Iowa", "I've Got a Fang", "You Probably Get That A Lot", "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", "We Want A Rock","Purple Toupee","Your Own Worst Enemy")
A2 ("Particle Man", "Dinnerbell", "Subliminal", "No One knows My Plan","Window", "West Virginia", "Everything Right Is Wrong Again","I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die","Rat Patrol")

John Linnell has an extremely versatile baritone voice with a unique tone and wide variety of timbres, each of which are used according to the desired effect of the song. Whats more impressive, Linnell has a wide range of notes, but consistently maintains excellent intonation, even while forcing the highest notes in his range.

**Underlines mark notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.
*Blue marks falsetto notes
*Green marks harsh distorted notes
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IhateMana on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:55 pm

I will also work on a thread for John Flansburgh at the new site. I haven't been actively notewatching him so far as I've been focused on Linnell (I will make a note of it from now on and go back later to do the albums I've already done). So far I've got him as a Baritenor with a range of at least D2 - G♯5
IhateMana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top