Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

John Linnell (They Might Be Giants)

Post  Hemunter on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:16 am

Voice Type: He Might Be Bass-Baritone
Total Range: C2-C#5

Significant Highs:
C#5 ("Turn Around")
A4 ("Rhythm Section Want Add, "The Mesopotamians", "Rat Patrol","Hey, Mr. DJ I Thought You Said We Had A Deal")
G4 ("Thunderbird", "Judy is Your Viet Nam (live)","Spiraling Shape", "Destination Moon")
F♯4 ("Montana", "Birdhouse in Your Soul (live), California Uber Alles", "Canajoharie", "Maine", "Broke in Two","Exquisite Dead Guy")
F4 ("House of Mayors","Someone Keeps Moving My Chair", "Mr Me", "No One Knows My Plan")
E4 ("Don't Let's Start", "Preamble: Fernando Wood", "House of Mayors", "Till My Head Falls Off", "Experimental Film", "Birdhouse in your soul","Snail Snail Shell", "I Should Be Allowed to Think", "Why Must I Be Sad", "Meet James Ensor (Live)", "Mammal", "West Virginia", "Sleep", "Wearing a Raincoat","How Can I Sing Like a Girl")

Significant Lows:

C2 ("Till My Head Falls Off Live","They Might be Giants")
D2 ("Mr. Me","Unpronounceable")
D♯2 ("Exquisite Dead Guy")
E2 ("Whistling in the dark", "Idaho", "Arkansas")
F2 ("Istanbul (Not Constantinople", "House of Mayors", "Oregon", "Stalk of Wheat", "Toddler High Way")
G♯2("The End of The Tour", "Am I Awake")
G2 ("Iowa", "I've Got a Fang", "You Probably Get That A Lot", "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", "We Want A Rock","Purple Toupee","Your Own Worst Enemy")
A2 ("Particle Man", "Dinnerbell", "Subliminal", "No One knows My Plan","Window", "West Virginia", "Everything Right Is Wrong Again","I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die","Rat Patrol")

John Linnell has an extremely versatile baritone voice with a unique tone and wide variety of timbres, each of which are used according to the desired effect of the song.  Whats more impressive, Linnell has a wide range of notes, but consistently maintains excellent intonation, even while forcing the highest notes in his range.

**Underlines mark notes in backing vocals or otherwise obscured.
*Italics mark non-melodic notes.
*Blue marks falsetto notes
*Green marks harsh distorted notes

Last edited by Hemunter on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:03 pm; edited 26 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding pitches)
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: John Linnell (They Might Be Giants)

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:59 am

Sure you aren't mistaking B3 and A3 for B2 and A2? If not, then B3 and A3 aren't exactly low notes, they're securely in the middle.

Also, sure you don't mean A4 instead of A5? If he managed to hit that A5 full voice in "Rhythm Section Want Add" as you imply, he'd be a high tenor / countertenor, not a baritone.
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hemunter on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:54 pm

tf141soldier wrote:Sure you aren't mistaking B3 and A3 for B2 and A2? If not, then B3 and A3 aren't exactly low notes, they're securely in the middle.

Also, sure you don't mean A4 instead of A5? If he managed to hit that A5 full voice in "Rhythm Section Want Add" as you imply, he'd be a high tenor / countertenor, not a baritone.

Hmmm... if i'm not mistaken the lowest note on a guitar is an E2, an octave above that is E3 and above that E4. A minor third above that is G4, then after G the musical alphabet goes back to A, meaning the whole note after G4 is A5 right?  So that's not an absurdly high note at all.  Most tenors can hit that, and a skilled baritone could do so with practice.  Do I have my scientific pitch notation all wrong?

Also B3 isn't that low, but thats where I consider his low register to begin, and above that where his middle register begins so I put those notes in with the lows. As for A3, that's the lowest A on a guitar, I think it's fairly low, but then again I'm a tenor.

Also if you happen to have a tuner and a minute to spare could you tell me what that "till my head falls off (live" note is?

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKx_vybLjNo

it's about one minute and 30 seconds in.
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:11 pm

No, no, no. The whole note after G4 is A4. The whole note after A4 is B4. One semitone above B4 is C5. That is where the fifth octave starts.

A baritone who's able to hit A5 isn't a "skilled baritone", he's an incredibly high tenor. Some tenors, if not most, can only dream of hitting A5.

I wouldn't count B3 or A3 as low notes, because they're not, they're definitely middle register for a baritone.

I recommend taking a look at other threads, study the notes there.

Last edited by tf141soldier on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Also, the note you mention is a C3, not low enough to count but still pretty cool-sounding.
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hemunter on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 am

tf141soldier wrote:Also, the note you mention is a C3, not low enough to count but still pretty cool-sounding.

He sustains a C3 before sliding down to a far lower note a few seconds later, check it out again if you'd be so kind.
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:26 am

Not 100% sure but it sounds to me like he slides down to C2?
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 am

C2 sounds about correct, which makes me think he might be a bass-baritone, but I won't jump to such conclusions so readily.
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hemunter on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:08 pm

tf141soldier wrote:C2 sounds about correct, which makes me think he might be a bass-baritone, but I won't jump to such conclusions so readily.

Being somewhat well versed in the They Might be Giants discography as well as his solo stuff, I'd say that his lows are dark enough and his highs pushed enough to fit that description.
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fetty Mercury on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 pm

tf141soldier wrote:
A baritone who's able to hit A5 isn't a "skilled baritone", he's an incredibly high tenor. Some tenors, if not most, can only dream of hitting A5.
Chris Cornell and Tom Jones would like to have a word with you...
Fetty Mercury
He's just a boy!

View user profile http://Eggcouncilmusicreviews.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fetty Mercury on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:24 pm

tf141soldier wrote:C2 sounds about correct, which makes me think he might be a bass-baritone, but I won't jump to such conclusions so readily.
Again, NUMEROUS baritones have gone down to C2 or lower. Roger Daltrey, Villie Vallo, Mike Patton, Axl Rose... Even some tenors (Roger Taylor, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters), can hit C2.
Fetty Mercury
He's just a boy!

View user profile http://Eggcouncilmusicreviews.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hemunter on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:30 pm

minecraftfan11 wrote:
Again, NUMEROUS baritones have gone down to C2 or lower. Roger Daltrey, Villie Vallo, Mike Patton, Axl Rose... Even some tenors (Roger Taylor, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters), can hit C2.

Yes but Linnell also has a very dark tone quality which reminds me of a Bass-Baritone voice.
Hemunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imdevine on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 am

Voice Type: He Might Be Bass-Baritone
Voice Type: Bass-Baritone

_
Voice is extremely undeveloped, thats why he sounds so flat in low register, but 200% positive he's a bass-baritone. Considering his lows from "Whistling In The Dark" no doubt he's a bass-baritone.
imdevine
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cmen on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:46 am

It's a joke dude
Cmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:51 am

imdevine wrote:Voice Type: He Might Be Bass-Baritone

_
Voice is extremely undeveloped, thats why he sounds so flat in low register, but 200% positive he's a bass-baritone. Considering his lows from "Whistling In The Dark" no doubt he's a bass-baritone.

They "might be" giants

get it yet
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:24 am

wait, is this the guy who sings "boss of me" from malcolm in the middle theme?
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:34 am

Prince Crack Alexander wrote:wait, is this the guy who sings "boss of me" from malcolm in the middle theme?

tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:39 am

lol then what exactly sounds low/bassy about his voice? sounds around the baritenor area or something like that
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42 am

Prince Crack Alexander wrote:lol then what exactly sounds low/bassy about his voice? sounds around the baritenor area or something like that

High note's an E4. Bass could do that.
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:46 am

so what if bass can sing E4....? what kind of logic is that? he barely has any weight of bass nor timbre of bass
it's like saying oh I'm immortal because I havn't dieded yet

it's like saying dustin bates is a baritone
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:53 am

Prince Crack Alexander wrote:so what if bass can sing E4....? what kind of logic is that? he barely has any weight of bass nor timbre of bass
it's like saying oh I'm immortal because I havn't dieded yet

it's like saying dustin bates is a baritone

Baritenor. Glad to see your obsession with Dustin Bates hasn't dwindled. Or how annoying you can be.

And seriously a bass doesn't have to sound like James Earl Jones to be bass. Ryan Drummond, the voice of Sonic (who speaks almost entirely in the 4th octave), sings bass in his choir.
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CracK on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:10 am

I was just kidding dude learn to humor and that guy sounds nothing alike to bass
peter steel is bass, feargm is bass, this one - not
CracK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  imdevine on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:25 am

tf141soldier wrote:
imdevine wrote:Voice Type: He Might Be Bass-Baritone

_

They "might be" giants

get it yet
Was refering to how unsure everyone was in this thread regarding his voice type.

Prince Crack Alexander wrote:lol then what exactly sounds low/bassy about his voice? sounds around the baritenor area or something like that
Pretty much everything in his low register.
imdevine
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tf141soldier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:22 pm

Prince Crack Alexander wrote:I was just kidding dude learn to humor and that guy sounds nothing alike to bass

Unfortunately you're not very funny. Demi's funny. Take notes.

And do you know anything about the voice, how it works? Like, anything? Just because someone doesn't sound like a bass doesn't inherently mean they aren't. Just because he doesn't have a thundering, super-resonant low voice doesn't mean he's not a bass.
tf141soldier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:34 pm

tf141soldier wrote:
Prince Crack Alexander wrote:I was just kidding dude learn to humor and that guy sounds nothing alike to bass

Unfortunately you're not very funny. Demi's funny. Take notes.

And do you know anything about the voice, how it works? Like, anything? Just because someone doesn't sound like a bass doesn't inherently mean they aren't. Just because he doesn't have a thundering, super-resonant low voice doesn't mean he's not a bass.
I'm flattered that you think that I'm funny considering no one else does lol but idk, he doesn't really sound that much like a bass to me. Bass-Baritone is a good "vois type" if you have to put one. Yeah!
Sadly, I'm being forced to kind of agree with Crack Puking
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top