Don Dokken

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Don Dokken

Post  Woo on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Totally agree about that song. I kind of forget about it until it comes on and I'm caught off guard by how wicked his singing is on that song. The ending is fantastic.

As far as those low background vocals. They don't really sound like Don at all to me. I'm guessing Mick is the best guess, but I don't really know.

Woo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Honestly, it's really difficult to tell. I don't think it's impossible that's him, though those would be surprisingly strong lows for him, but at the same time, when I hear them, I can't say "That's him!"

By the way, I wanted more opinions on this since it's one of

In "When Heaven Comes Down", there's a G♯5 Woo pointed out, and I've checked and hear him hit G♯5 as well at the start of the scream, but it's one of his highest notes so I figured it wouldn't hurt to be sure. The scream is shortly after 21:09. It's 21:15 to be exact, but you can't go directly to that since it's a long video with the whole live album uploaded.

Also, the highest note from "In My Dreams" at 4:15. I think I hear it as more of an F♯5 than G5, but sometimes I think I hear it touch on G5, or it might be one of those inbetween notes so other opinions would be appreciated.

I'll go through the albums more thoroughly soon, particularly the 90's to present stuff. Should be able to fill out his notes below E5 more, and possibly some more lows, likely from the albums the last 10 years. His low section actually isn't that bad, though.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Woo on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Yup, definitely peaks at a G#, though it might be a little flat. Still sounds cool as hell, though.

Woo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:03 am

Woo wrote:non-modal breakdancing

wat
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OldSchoolHeavyMetal on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 am

Always thought this should have been included on the Back For the Attack album over the pop-metal filler/hit single attempt "Burning Like a Flame." Strange the would be title track didn't make the album, though I think this song was actually left over from the Under Lock and Key sessions. I still have the "Dream Warriors" cassette single I got when I was a kid with this song on the other side.  Laughing 

Some of Don's best C5s in this song such as the intro and 3:09. Excellent D5 at 0:16 as well and a couple of nice ones at 1:14 too. Some might touch on E♭5. 1985-1988 was definitely Don at his best vocally.

OldSchoolHeavyMetal
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Woo on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:42 am

Yeah, that's a great track. I didn't even realize that it wasn't originally included on the album. I've only listened to the remastered version of that album which has it as the last track.

Woo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Woo on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:47 am

Shikkaku wrote:
Woo wrote:non-modal breakdancing

wat

You don't think that dancing is black, do you?

Woo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Woo on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 am

Just stumbled onto this mix of Paris is Burning. Sounds way, way better than the breaking the chains mix. I always liked the F#5-->G5 right before the solo, but this mix really makes the G5 at the end of the song stand out. That has to be one of his best ever notes, no?

Woo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Woo on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:54 am

Stumbled onto this. Recorded in 84/85 for Herman Rarebell's CD. I think it's one of Don's best vocal performances. He's copping a bit of a Jack Russell/Robert Plant bluesyness and hits a bunch of strong 5th octave notes in the chorus. Very nice sustained G5 at the end of the solo as well.

Woo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top