Demi's Covers

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Demi's Covers

Post  Shikkaku on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:42 am

I'm going to review your Ocean cover as soon as I finish this song I'm listening to, but could you give me the credit as being the one that introduced them to you? Very Happy
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:49 am

Shikkaku wrote:I'm going to review your Ocean cover as soon as I finish this song I'm listening to, but could you give me the credit as being the one that introduced them to you? Very Happy
Well considering you introduced me to them, BTBAM and reintroduced me to DeG... I owe you a lot of credit lol. And cool, I'll be gettinf my wisdom teeth removed, as I await your response lol
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shikkaku on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:22 am

Wait, what the hell were you doing when you were not listening to DeG then Razz

Since you are my best TRP friend (and actually one of my best friends outside of it as well) I'm going to review each vocal session separately.

0:14-1:27 - I really like that "lullaby-esque" feel that you get on your voice, but I didn't enjoyed this as much. It felt kinda emotionless and there are some off-pitch moments as well. But when you added the distortion to your voice at 1:22 sounded TRULY great and I LOVED the backing vocal note (incredibly well sustained and controled!!!!).

1:27-2:20 - Wow, non-clipped harsh vocals Shocked Total 180º-turn from the previous session, your screams were really cool and I honestly get a early Akkerfeldt sound from it. I liked your Hetfield-tone, it sounds pretty emotive and you controled it pretty well. That little moment were you took off the distortion sounded really cute. Dat dynamic range I love you

2:39-3:04 - DAMN, those belts are amazing!! There are some moments where your pitch wander off a little, but overall, they sound REALLY impressive. That support made me honestly feel jealous!

4:42-5:58 - Singing that passage switching back and forth between those different clean/harsh settings is VERY difficult. I feel like the beggining of the passage sounded kinda goofy but it gradually got better. There are some slight pitch problems again, but I know that singing with that technique is really physically demanding. More badass harsh vocals after as well

5:58-6:28 - The softer cleans were slightly better than the ones from the rest of the song (there were still some pitch issues, but I think they are less noticeable here). I loved that slight rasp you add on "the water" at 6:21. Dunno if that was intentional or not, but that tone was spot on!

6:48-7:30 - Why were you adding the Hetfield "-ah"s at the end of the syllabes? Again, I get a "goofy-sounding" feel from the very beggining of each note you sing (I mean as everytime you picked on distortion), but it's something you can work on and it will sound pretty neat!!

Great rendition overall! I'm glad you're taking your singing in a less risky and more mature way this time.
Shikkaku
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Aw, thank you!

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:27 am

Shikkaku wrote:Wait, what the hell were you doing when you were not listening to DeG then Razz

Since you are my best TRP friend (and actually one of my best friends outside of it as well) I'm going to review each vocal session separately.

0:14-1:27 - I really like that "lullaby-esque" feel that you get on your voice, but I didn't enjoyed this as much. It felt kinda emotionless and there are some off-pitch moments as well. But when you added the distortion to your voice at 1:22 sounded TRULY great and I LOVED the backing vocal note (incredibly well sustained and controled!!!!).

1:27-2:20 - Wow, non-clipped harsh vocals Shocked Total 180º-turn from the previous session, your screams were really cool and I honestly get a early Akkerfeldt sound from it. I liked your Hetfield-tone, it sounds pretty emotive and you controled it pretty well. That little moment were you took off the distortion sounded really cute. Dat dynamic range I love you

2:39-3:04 - DAMN, those belts are amazing!! There are some moments where your pitch wander off a little, but overall, they sound REALLY impressive. That support made me honestly feel jealous!

4:42-5:58 - Singing that passage switching back and forth between those different clean/harsh settings is VERY difficult. I feel like the beggining of the passage sounded kinda goofy but it gradually got better. There are some slight pitch problems again, but I know that singing with that technique is really physically demanding. More badass harsh vocals after as well

5:58-6:28 - The softer cleans were slightly better than the ones from the rest of the song (there were still some pitch issues, but I think they are less noticeable here). I loved that slight rasp you add on "the water" at 6:21. Dunno if that was intentional or not, but that tone was spot on!

6:48-7:30 - Why were you adding the Hetfield "-ah"s at the end of the syllabes? Again, I get a "goofy-sounding" feel from the very beggining of each note you sing (I mean as everytime you picked on distortion), but it's something you can work on and it will sound pretty neat!!

Great rendition overall! I'm glad you're taking your singing in a less risky and more mature way this time.
The biggest problem with singing low for me, is maintaining a pitch. For some reason high notes tend to be a bit easier to hold pitch than my low and mid range. The emotionless feel was partially due to me trying to keep time, while maintaining solid pitch. The other part of it is exactly what you said; I wanted to go for an uber calm, and lullaby esque feel. Lulling you into a false sense of security, before unleashing the proverbial Kraken lol. My voice isn't really smooth enough for that though, so I did sort of flub that, sadly. Now the screaming took a mintue to get right. I had to adjust input levels, and move the mic around for awhile, until I reached that "Goldie Locks Zone". And considering Akerfeldt is who I imitated when attempting to master a lot of my false-chord styles, that's no surprise that it kind of sounded like him lol. I guess that's an ok thing though. I also got a few voice lessons recently, and my breath support is one thing that's improved vastly, so I'm glad you noticed that lol Yeah! The belting probably started off goofy, mainly due to timing issues. Trying to keep time while singing is irritating, and the main riff was a pain in the ass. I'm glad you enjoyed this though. I'm intentionally avoiding DeG songs, so I don't have to be so cringe worthy; now I'm actually singing a bit more competently, and less wanky. I'm slowly easing my way into singing harder and harder material, so the next cover will be interesting. I'm taking a long break too, so no more spamming covers lol.

Also that slight rasp on "water" was indeed intentional Wink
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cmen on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:35 am

The (b)romance between you guys makes me feel all warm and happy inside I love you
Cmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RevDrucifer on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:20 am

Just wanna point ya in the right direction here, those are fry screams....and nicely done at that. I would assume when you finish a take of them, you feel it more in your face then in your throat? (That's not a bad thing, just seeing if I'm correct)

The 'Hetfield" voice will sound really great once you take some constriction of your throat. That rasp is a nice fry grit, try maintaining that same tone while pushing less. Try getting it as quiet as ya can, you'll see the lower pitches aren't as hard to get once you back off in volume.

RevDrucifer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:40 am

RevDrucifer wrote:Just wanna point ya in the right direction here, those are fry screams....and nicely done at that. I would assume when you finish a take of them, you feel it more in your face then in your throat? (That's not a bad thing, just seeing if I'm correct)

The 'Hetfield" voice will sound really great once you take some constriction of your throat. That rasp is a nice fry grit, try maintaining that same tone while pushing less. Try getting it as quiet as ya can, you'll see the lower pitches aren't as hard to get once you back off in volume.

Shocked didn't expect you to comment on one of my covers. I actually feel the screams more in my abs than anything lol. I'm very cautious with screaming now. And volume is actually something I'm currently trying to work on in my clean voice as well. I had a 2 day period where I had just figured out how to do it, but then I took a short break, came back and couldn't do it again. I also found out I have vocal damage recently, which doesn't help things. I also just got back from getting my wisdom teeth pulled, which means I'm taking a long break lol. Thank's for the advice. 1 question though; how can I make my upper range less "whinny"? I don't have any current examples, but when I enter my passagio area (A4-B4) I loose a lot of control, and I get really whinny when I add distortion. I'd like to be able to sing in this area fairly consistently, as well as add distortion while maintaining a less whinny sound
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectAlpha on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:45 am

So... How did you know there was something wrong with your vocal chords?
SubjectAlpha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RevDrucifer on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:06 am

Be VERY careful if you're feeling it in your abs after. While it's GREAT to use that area for support, it's EXACTLY how I took myself out of commission for 2 months. It may not apply to you, but when you tighten your gut, do you feel ANY tension/change in the front of your throat? If you do, be VERY careful when approaching that sound. I ended up pulling something in my throat because too much tension in my gut....it's all connected!

The thing with fry screaming is that it's a very particular placement in your throat....so I know what ya mean when you say you could do it one day and couldn't the next. It's also HIGHLY dependent on a hydrated body. (My favorite way of describing it is every bit of grit and rasp is a water droplet flying out your throat at 200 miles an hour....though that's not how it really works). So if you're hydrated one day and not as much the other, it'll be tough to find.

As for beefing up the higher range, Ken Tamplin actually has a really basic but great exercise that gets the idea across and will get you into the territory you're looking for, it's just developing it once you've got the basic ground covered.

RevDrucifer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  irrsol on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:34 am

Demi I've listened to your other covers.

The Dir en Grey cover completely blow me away. It's so FUCKING good! Both the clean and harsh vocals are great. Vibrato is good, voice stop-start is good. That pitch range suit you very well and your dynamic is great. AWESOME!

On the other hand, I think the 'Make me wanna die' cover is the worst among those. The transition is sudden and not connected well, for example the one near 2:17 mark. You sometimes sound off tune too (there are some missed pitch in the DT cover too).

And then I searched the original version and realised that it was sung by a female singer..... Facepalm
irrsol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:48 am

RevDrucifer wrote:Be VERY careful if you're feeling it in your abs after. While it's GREAT to use that area for support, it's EXACTLY how I took myself out of commission for 2 months. It may not apply to you, but when you tighten your gut, do you feel ANY tension/change in the front of your throat? If you do, be VERY careful when approaching that sound. I ended up pulling something in my throat because too much tension in my gut....it's all connected!

The thing with fry screaming is that it's a very particular placement in your throat....so I know what ya mean when you say you could do it one day and couldn't the next. It's also HIGHLY dependent on a hydrated body. (My favorite way of describing it is every bit of grit and rasp is a water droplet flying out your throat at 200 miles an hour....though that's not how it really works). So if you're hydrated one day and not as much the other, it'll be tough to find.

As for beefing up the higher range, Ken Tamplin actually has a really basic but great exercise that gets the idea across and will get you into the territory you're looking for, it's just developing it once you've got the basic ground covered.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I don't feel any changes in my throat. And recently, if this really is fry screaming, then I'm having no trouble with consistency. Screaming isn't really that difficult for me anymore, thankfully. And I do stay hydrated when singing; whenever I do a cover, I run before hand, drink some tea, and then keep a bottle of water with me. It may seem like overkill, but I like to try and maintain some healthy habits. And I'll check out the video whenever I can feel my face again lol. Thank's
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:52 am

irrsol wrote:Demi I've listened to your other covers.

The Dir en Grey cover completely blow me away. It's so FUCKING good! Both the clean and harsh vocals are great. Vibrato is good, voice stop-start is good. That pitch range suit you very well and your dynamic is great. AWESOME!

On the other hand, I think the 'Make me wanna die' cover is the worst among those. The transition is sudden and not connected well, for example the one near 2:17 mark. You sometimes sound off tune too (there are some missed pitch in the DT cover too).

And then I searched the original version and realised that it was sung by a female singer..... Facepalm
Those weren't my covers you listened to hahaha. No wonder you said the DeG cover was good lol. Mine are usually god awful. Yeah, I privated everything except for the DT song and the Slipknot song (excluding Juular since that's new). If you want I unprivated the last DeG song I posted. It was pretty bad, but it's there lol

Last edited by Princess Demi Alexandra on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  irrsol on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:00 am

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:
How did you listen to some of the covers? Lol, I think I privated all of my DeG covers Confused And that Make Me Wanna Die cover was a joke cover, and a stab at my friend, who sang the song well, but hit B4 instead of C5. So I fucked the rest of the song but hit the C5 lol. The DT cover was probably at my worst vocal condition, apparently. I tend to have issues with pitching anyways. I'm still working on that

Errr... I just clicked your name on sound cloud and it offers me 10 covers, so I just happily moved my mouse over and listened all of them lol

Getting pitch and rhythm right can be difficult, I'm not very good at those... And... If you could go to my singing thread and give some critiques I will be very grateful.
irrsol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 am

irrsol wrote:
How did you listen to some of the covers? Lol, I think I privated all of my DeG covers Confused And that Make Me Wanna Die cover was a joke cover, and a stab at my friend, who sang the song well, but hit B4 instead of C5. So I fucked the rest of the song but hit the C5 lol. The DT cover was probably at my worst vocal condition, apparently. I tend to have issues with pitching anyways. I'm still working on that

Errr... I just clicked your name on sound cloud and it offers me 10 covers, so I just happily moved my mouse over and listened all of them lol

Getting pitch and rhythm right can be difficult, I'm not very good at those... And... If you could go to my singing thread and give some critiques I will be very grateful.
Of course you reply as soon as I fix my message. Yeah, none of those were mine except for Juular, Sarcastrophe, and Waiting for Sleep. I unprivated my Reiketsu Nariseba cover though, if you'd like to hear why I don't cover DeG anymore
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  irrsol on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 am

irrsol wrote:

Of course you reply as soon as I fix my message. Yeah, none of those were mine except for Juular, Sarcastrophe, and Waiting for Sleep. I unprivated my Reiketsu Nariseba cover though, if you'd like to hear why I don't cover DeG anymore

Okay I listened Reiketsu Nriseba and I have a question.... How high are those screams (like the one around 3:17)?! 7th Octave?... My ear drum hurts
irrsol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:32 am

irrsol wrote:
irrsol wrote:

Okay I listened Reiketsu Nriseba and I have a question.... How high are those screams (like the one around 3:17)?! 7th Octave?... My ear drum hurts
I think the highest one is that 10 second C7/C#7. It's one of those pitches. Again screaming is easy, but my singing has been pretty atrocious. I've only recently come to that realization, and I'm finally attempting to apply some discipline to myself. Of course, my vocal damage is permanent and I'll probably never be able to sing half of the things I'd like so fuck me. At least I can kind of sing now Razz
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:53 am

At first I was excited to do a new cover, but then I remembered that my singing voice is shit  Facepalm.
http://picosong.com/6sFx/ I spent too much time on it not to release it though, but fuck. Be as mean as you'd like   Thumb up
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebsedd on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:36 am

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:At first I was excited to do a new cover, but then I remembered that my singing voice is shit  Facepalm.
http://picosong.com/6sFx/ I spent too much time on it not to release it though, but fuck. Be as mean as you'd like   Thumb up

Some really cool A2s. Your voice reminds me a little bit of Layne Staley in this cover.
Rebsedd
Memelord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:42 am

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Of course, my vocal damage is permanent and I'll probably never be able to sing half of the things I'd like so fuck me. At least I can kind of sing now Razz
Did you see a laryngologist about the vocal damage? Are you sure it's permanent?

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:47 am

Dead Reb wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:At first I was excited to do a new cover, but then I remembered that my singing voice is shit  Facepalm.

Some really cool A2s. Your voice reminds me a little bit of Layne Staley in this cover.
Yay, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. Just mostly lol
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:53 am

gaylorddicksucker wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Of course, my vocal damage is permanent and I'll probably never be able to sing half of the things I'd like so fuck me. At least I can kind of sing now Razz
Did you see a laryngologist about the vocal damage? Are you sure it's permanent?
Yeah, I saw the "voice doctor", and I found out I have heavy vocal damage from long over abuse and use. And listen to my voice; my tone is unsalvageable, so I'd like to assume its permanent damage. Maybe it's only "lasts for a long ass time" damage, but it's still impairing my ability to sound good, and I'll probably stop singing once I make a full transition anyways. I already have enough insecurities, and my singing voice is far from flattering. So yeah, I'm just getting as much singing time in now, as I can before I quit for good.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Celice on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:16 am

That would be a shame. I hope you can eventually get to where you enjoy singing again.
Celice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:28 am

Celice wrote:That would be a shame. I hope you can eventually get to where you enjoy singing again.
Eh, that probably won't happen in this lifetime Cringe. Maybe if there's some kind of magical vocal chord surgery that appears in the next 10 years, that would make me sound like a female 100%, and then I can find some money to pay for more vocal lessons. Who knows though? Maybe that will happen  Razz
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glds on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Eh, that probably won't happen in this lifetime Cringe. Maybe if there's some kind of magical vocal chord surgery that appears in the next 10 years, that would make me sound like a female 100%, and then I can find some money to pay for more vocal lessons. Who knows though? Maybe that will happen  Razz

That sucks so much. It started out so harmless and now it's something you will never be able to experience again. Sad rip.

glds
Range Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:51 pm

gaylorddicksucker wrote:
Princess Demi Alexandra wrote:Eh, that probably won't happen in this lifetime Cringe. Maybe if there's some kind of magical vocal chord surgery that appears in the next 10 years, that would make me sound like a female 100%, and then I can find some money to pay for more vocal lessons. Who knows though? Maybe that will happen  Razz

That sucks so much. It started out so harmless and now it's something you will never be able to experience again. Sad rip.
Hahaha, I'm kind of over it at this point. I just kind of bitch about it, but then laugh at it in the same breath
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top