Who is the ultimate baritone?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who is the ultimate baritone?

20% 20% 
[ 11 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
9% 9% 
[ 5 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
20% 20% 
[ 11 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
4% 4% 
[ 2 ]
11% 11% 
[ 6 ]
15% 15% 
[ 9 ]
 
Total Votes : 56

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:36 am

The Great Heroins wrote:Maybe he couldn't think of an extra baritone singer so he just listed Freddie Mercury for the hell of it. Smile Seems like valid logic to me.

That's the right answer! When in doubt - Freddie Mercury will help you out!
avatar
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 27
Location : Waterford, Michigan

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/Gregsynth?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  ChillShaman on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:19 am

Jeez, I wouldn't have included him if people were going to be so touchy about it...I deliberately included him because of the explanation in Greg's thread.
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Holsety on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:43 am

The Great Heroins wrote:I'd honestly say Freddie is more of a "baritone" than John Lennon.  At least Freddie can get some serious depth to his vocal tone on his highs. John Lennon is the only baritone out there who's high notes are so pinched and twangy that most people think of him as a tenor.

Sometimes it seems like you just say shit to say it and don't really look into the logic in it at all. Have you listened to any album John has sung on other than Sgt. Pepper? I've never heard anyone refer to John as a tenor, personally.
avatar
Holsety
Admin

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 21
Location : Lake Isle of Innisfree

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:45 am

my brother thought john lennon had a higher voice than paul Ninja
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Holsety on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:16 am

If that were the case, John would or could or ought to have sung harmonies higher than Paul on a song more than never (or once, technically).
avatar
Holsety
Admin

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 21
Location : Lake Isle of Innisfree

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  t1995 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:33 am

I see no Adon option in this thread Cringe
avatar
t1995

Posts : 154
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 72
Location : Nomad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:54 am

the average person is nearly tone deaf, my brothers reasoning was "well he got that nasally thing right?" Ninja
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  ChillShaman on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:21 am

The Great Lurex wrote:the average person is nearly tone deaf, my brothers reasoning was "well he got that nasally thing right?" Ninja

Yeah well I've got that, and in no conceivable world am I a tenor.
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:21 am

The Great Heroins wrote:Maybe he couldn't think of an extra baritone singer so he just listed Freddie Mercury for the hell of it. Smile Seems like valid logic to me.
Yeah, that's fair I suppose. After all, there are very few baritones out there in the music world, so I can't blame him for using Freddie as a placeholder for one in this poll. I mean, off the top of my head, the only other ones that I can think of are Eddie Vedder, Graham Bonnet, Corey Taylor, Chris Isaak, M. Shadows, Serj Tankian, Matt Barlow, David Gilmour, James Hetfield, Mike Patton, Gene Simmons, Warrel Dane, John Bush, Daniel Gildenlow, Eric Adams, Phil Anselmo, Ville Valo, Anthony Kiedis, Tom Waits, David Lee Roth, Mark Lanegan, Peter Gabriel, Danny Elfman, Dan Swano, Bruce Springsteen, Chris Cornell, David Coverdale, etc...
The Great Heroins wrote:Also Maxim, you say all the other singers on here are shining examples of baritones but I'd honestly say Freddie is more of a "baritone" than John Lennon.  At least Freddie can get some serious depth to his vocal tone on his highs.  John Lennon is the only baritone out there who's high notes are so pinched and twangy that most people think of him as a tenor. Laughing
This is actually a good point, I'll admit. Lennon is a bit more of an outlier on this list tonally because of how bright he is, but he at least has the tessitura of a baritone, and you can hear the real weight of his voice in his low range...as opposed to Freddie, who sounds like a tenor in practically every regard. But yeah, I'll agree that Lennon and Daltrey are both replaceable for the purposes of this list.
The Great Lurex wrote:sure, the idiot who made the poll fucked up by putting freddie on - but that doesn't matter.  you know who's even dumber?  the idiots who then voted for him.
True, but that should hardly comes as a surprise at this point. Knowing the Freddie fanboys, they're just about always looking for an excuse to vote him as the best singer in yet another category, no matter unfitting he may be for it.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:28 am

idk why anybody would vote for him its not appropriate for this category. i think you forget i'm also a freddie fanboy Laughing
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Hopscotch on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:29 am

Yeah but you're smarter than them
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:47 am

let's not get ahead of ourselves
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 am

Holsety wrote:
The Great Heroins wrote:I'd honestly say Freddie is more of a "baritone" than John Lennon.  At least Freddie can get some serious depth to his vocal tone on his highs. John Lennon is the only baritone out there who's high notes are so pinched and twangy that most people think of him as a tenor.

Sometimes it seems like you just say shit to say it and don't really look into the logic in it at all. Have you listened to any album John has sung on other than Sgt. Pepper? I've never heard anyone refer to John as a tenor, personally.

I've actually read a few in depth analysis books of The Beatles discography and every one of them referred to the singers as "three tenors, and one baritone in Ringo."  Besides that, scroll through the old TRP thread for him and you will find numerous posts of people who assumed he was a tenor as they had never heard any shining examples of him singing to the potential of his vocal weight.
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Holsety on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 am

Not really sure how those people missed Twist and Shout, Stand By Me, Don't Let Me Down, Dizzy Miss Lizzy or Rock and Roll Music. Sure, you can make the argument that he was sounding gritty on purpose like Paul did in some cases, but John didn't really have the kind of control above A4 that Paul did, so it's hard to say he was even capable of doing that.

Either way, he doesn't seem like enough of an in-between to be replaceable, in my opinion. He's the quintessential baritone of the Beatles if only because Ringo is his competition.
avatar
Holsety
Admin

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2013-04-27
Age : 21
Location : Lake Isle of Innisfree

View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MajorHolsety

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Starman on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:35 am

Jim Morrison is the epitome of a baritone to me.
avatar
Starman
Range Advisor

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2013-12-22
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Gregsynthbootlegs on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:42 am

OMG - Freddie is winning! Embarassed Laughing Durrr
avatar
Gregsynthbootlegs
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 27
Location : Waterford, Michigan

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/Gregsynth?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Metalhead123 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:50 am

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:OMG - Freddie is winning! Embarassed Laughing Durrr
oh god.
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  The Great Heroins on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:33 am

Holsety wrote:Not really sure how those people missed Twist and Shout, Stand By Me, Don't Let Me Down, Dizzy Miss Lizzy or Rock and Roll Music. Sure, you can make the argument that he was sounding gritty on purpose like Paul did in some cases, but John didn't really have the kind of control above A4 that Paul did, so it's hard to say he was even capable of doing that.

Either way, he doesn't seem like enough of an in-between to be replaceable, in my opinion. He's the quintessential baritone of the Beatles if only because Ringo is his competition.

Fair enough.  I'm just making the point that since most of his singing is in the tenor range + so bright and twanged, he might not be the most prominent name to come to mind when thinking "a baritone singer."  A "baritone singer", to me, makes me think of someone like Jim Morrison, Mark Knopfler, Phil Anselmo, post-war Elvis Presley, Dennis Wilson, B.B. King, Frank Sinatra, etc. Basically, guys who sing with a rich and gruff tone.  

And as far as Freddie Mercury winning this goes.. smh.
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 am

even more people have voted for him since we started this discussion Laughing
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Private Perineum on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Holsety wrote:Not really sure how those people missed Twist and Shout, Stand By Me, Don't Let Me Down, Dizzy Miss Lizzy or Rock and Roll Music. Sure, you can make the argument that he was sounding gritty on purpose like Paul did in some cases, but John didn't really have the kind of control above A4 that Paul did, so it's hard to say he was even capable of doing that.

Either way, he doesn't seem like enough of an in-between to be replaceable, in my opinion. He's the quintessential baritone of the Beatles if only because Ringo is his competition.

Precisely. John's voice was always naturally bright, but it didn't really span far. He was certainly the baritone of the group, exclusing Ringo, whose voice was less capable.
avatar
Private Perineum

Posts : 717
Join date : 2015-03-14

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Gregsynthbootlegs wrote:OMG - Freddie is winning! Embarassed Laughing Durrr

I wrote:voted for Freddy purely to piss of Greg
avatar
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

Posts : 1292
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Zedd Squared on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Nick Drake wrote:I would say Mark Lanegan or Michael Gira surprise, surprise.
This is still my favorite answer so far. Smile
avatar
Zedd Squared
Admin

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2012-09-03
Age : 21
Location : Blashyrkh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Nick Drake on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Zedd Squared wrote:
Nick Drake wrote:I would say Mark Lanegan or Michael Gira surprise, surprise.
This is still my favorite answer so far. Smile
Kiss
avatar
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

Posts : 738
Join date : 2014-08-12
Location : In the Kübler-Ross Model

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  ChillShaman on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:25 am

Starman wrote:Jim Morrison is the epitome of a baritone to me.

Yeah I agree.
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Nick Drake on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:30 am

Ollie wrote:
Starman wrote:Jim Morrison is the epitome of a baritone to me.

Yeah I agree.
Rock and roll baritone maybe, but the baritone of baritones is Sinatra.
avatar
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

Posts : 738
Join date : 2014-08-12
Location : In the Kübler-Ross Model

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum