Who is the ultimate baritone?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who is the ultimate baritone?

20% 20% 
[ 11 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
9% 9% 
[ 5 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
20% 20% 
[ 11 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
4% 4% 
[ 2 ]
11% 11% 
[ 6 ]
15% 15% 
[ 9 ]
 
Total Votes : 56

Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  ChillShaman on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:01 am

So who do you think is the ultimate baritone in regards to natural baritonal vibrato, vocal weight, depth of tone and tonal consistency throughout their range. I've not included any opera singers because I don't really know any, and I've included Freddie Mercury because of the big debate around his voice type.
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  SubjectAlpha on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:36 am

Where's Chad Kroeger?
avatar
SubjectAlpha

Posts : 1293
Join date : 2014-04-30
Location : Denmark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 am

Jon Anderson
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Private Perineum on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Would personally drop Daltrey off this list and add somebody else.

Out of these, certainly Jones, although Elvis also deserves a fleeting mention.
avatar
Private Perineum

Posts : 717
Join date : 2015-03-14

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/timialexander

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Krzysztof Raymond Howe II on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:35 pm

voted for Freddy purely to piss of Greg
avatar
Krzysztof Raymond Howe II
Range Advisor

Posts : 1292
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Metalhead123 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:49 pm

cryszofthescots wrote:voted for Freddy purely to piss of Greg
Clap
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Nick Drake on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:52 am

I would say Mark Lanegan or Michael Gira surprise, surprise.
avatar
Nick Drake
Banned By Request

Posts : 738
Join date : 2014-08-12
Location : In the Kübler-Ross Model

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  KeithMoonIsGod on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:31 am

Changed my mind
Geddy Lee
avatar
KeithMoonIsGod
Range Advisor

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  King Creosote on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:09 am

Hard to call between Elvis, & Tom. Ultimately I have gone with Tom, because Tom's "out there" notes can be on any vowel, Elvis' extreme notes tend to be on easier sounds i.e "ah" for the lows, & "ee" for the highs.
avatar
King Creosote

Posts : 141
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  King Creosote on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:13 am

Ollie wrote:. I've not included any opera singers .

FTR IMHO Geraint Evans narrowly wins it over Bryn Terfel, and Ian Wallace. (yes I know Bryn is nowadays listed as a bass-baritone, BWTF)
avatar
King Creosote

Posts : 141
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  ChillShaman on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:51 am

I can't edit the choices, but I want to change Roger Daltry to Mick Jagger now...
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Hopscotch on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:50 pm

Austere McNugget wrote:Would personally drop Daltrey off this list and add somebody else.
I would drop Freddie off this list and add somebody who actually sounds like a baritone... Wasn\'t Me
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Metalhead123 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:51 pm

John Bush is the best baritone! Very Happy
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Hopscotch on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Well he's more of a baritone than Freddie Mercury, I'll give you that much.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Metalhead123 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:59 pm

Wanderlust wrote:Well he's more of a baritone than Freddie Mercury, I'll give you that much.
I still can't believe Ollie put that as one of the choices. Because this sounds so much like a tenor
avatar
Metalhead123

Posts : 1664
Join date : 2014-11-18
Age : 17
Location : The Discord Chat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  ChillShaman on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Metalhead123 wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:Well he's more of a baritone than Freddie Mercury, I'll give you that much.
I still can't believe Ollie put that as one of the choices. Because this sounds so much like a tenor

I know, how very awful of me. It's almost as if I did it to please the people who think he's a natural baritone, and created a tenor voice for himself.
avatar
ChillShaman
Range Advisor

Posts : 917
Join date : 2014-07-24
Age : 20
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  King Creosote on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:37 pm

It's by no means unknown for a baritone to sound like a tenor with a lower range.......perhaps Fred can be described as a tenor who sounded like a light baritone?
avatar
King Creosote

Posts : 141
Join date : 2015-04-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  SubjectAlpha on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:54 am

King Creosote wrote:It's by no means unknown for a baritone to sound like a tenor with a lower range.......perhaps Fred can be described as a tenor who sounded like a light baritone?

He was a Mercury Tenor Whistle
avatar
SubjectAlpha

Posts : 1293
Join date : 2014-04-30
Location : Denmark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Hopscotch on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:57 am

Ollie wrote:
Metalhead123 wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:Well he's more of a baritone than Freddie Mercury, I'll give you that much.
I still can't believe Ollie put that as one of the choices. Because this sounds so much like a tenor

I know, how very awful of me. It's almost as if I did it to please the people who think he's a natural baritone, and created a tenor voice for himself.
That's all fine and dandy, but no matter what anybody thinks his "natural type" was, he's hardly iconic as a baritone singer...especially compared to these other names...
King Creosote wrote:It's by no means unknown for a baritone to sound like a tenor with a lower range.......perhaps Fred can be described as a tenor who sounded like a light baritone?
Even saying that he sounded like a light baritone is a stretch to my ears tbh. I just can't hear it whatsoever.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  The Great Heroins on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Freddie Mercury's voice is in a grey area.  Later in his career he has some baritone-esque qualities but that doesn't objectively make him a "light baritone." These kind of assumptions are so subjective and undefined that it's absolutely pointless to even think about going there.  

As far as the list goes, I personally don't disagree with having him on there.  Just because he isn't a baritone by some people's standards doesn't mean he possesses no baritone-esque vocal moments convincing enough to earn him a spot on this list.
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Hopscotch on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Almost every singer had some baritonish vocal moments at some point or other, or developed some baritone-esque qualities later in their careers. That doesn't automatically make them "light baritones" either, though.

As far as this list goes, it wouldn't bother me as much if it weren't for the fact that almost all of the other singers on it were baritones iconically known for singing with a deep, heavy tone and generally not going much higher than the fourth octave (with the exception of Tom Jones and Roger Daltrey). Having Freddie on this list comes off to me more as "hey he's a really good singer and somebody who knew him well called him a baritone, so let's find a way to work him onto a list with singers he otherwise has nothing in common with".

It's kinda like including Axl Rose on a list of the best bass singers: is he naturally that voice type? Maybe. Is his traditional singing style a good reflection of it? Hardly.
avatar
Hopscotch
The reason we can't have nice things

Posts : 6790
Join date : 2012-11-29
Location : ChiCAHgo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  The Great Heroins on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:10 pm

Maybe he couldn't think of an extra baritone singer so he just listed Freddie Mercury for the hell of it. Smile Seems like valid logic to me.
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Prometheus on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:16 pm

I still can't believe that I'm the only one voted for Frank Sinatra
Ollie wrote:the ultimate baritone in regards to natural baritonal vibrato, vocal weight, depth of tone and tonal consistency throughout their range.
Sinatra is the ultimate choice
avatar
Prometheus
Range Destroyer

Posts : 1635
Join date : 2014-07-10
Age : 22
Location : Manisa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  The Great Heroins on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Also Maxim, you say all the other singers on here are shining examples of baritones but I'd honestly say Freddie is more of a "baritone" than John Lennon.  At least Freddie can get some serious depth to his vocal tone on his highs.  John Lennon is the only baritone out there who's high notes are so pinched and twangy that most people think of him as a tenor. Laughing
avatar
The Great Heroins
General Moderator

Posts : 2608
Join date : 2013-12-30
Age : 22
Location : LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Lurex on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:11 am

sure, the idiot who made the poll fucked up by putting freddie on - but that doesn't matter. you know who's even dumber? the idiots who then voted for him.
avatar
Lurex

Posts : 3124
Join date : 2013-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is the ultimate baritone?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum