aliceunchained's Singing Thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

aliceunchained's Singing Thread

Post  aliceunchained on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:07 am

Hello everyone! Starting off my own thread with a vocal cover of Beyoncé's Crazy in Love, the Fifty Shades of Grey version. Exploring my lower range here.

https://soundcloud.com/aliceunchained91/beyonce-crazy-in-love-fifty-shades-of-grey-version

EDIT: Got my Serj Tankian and Tom Waits covers in my newly created soundcloud as well, as I am pretty fond of them:
https://soundcloud.com/aliceunchained91/serj-tankian-elect-the-dead
https://soundcloud.com/aliceunchained91/tom-waits-lucinda-cover
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: aliceunchained's Singing Thread

Post  Sorcerer on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Sing closer to the mic when you go for the low notes, then move back for the regular notes.

Sorcerer
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Fair enough. Didn't think about that since I'm using a smartphone as a mic... Facepalm
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:34 pm

New cover: Lana Del Rey - Born To Die. Sweet stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/aliceunchained91/lana-del-rey-born-to-die
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:14 am

I really liked your vocal tone on the Serj cover; it sounded like you were very at home in the lower passages. The screaming at the end was abysmal though, and kinda left me off on a sour note.  Honestly, you should do some covers of the lighter Slipknot songs like Snuff and Dead Memories. They feature easier highs to get your voice used to the upper range stuff, and the low stuff is very comfortable
The Lucinda cover was spotty, at best. Again your lows were decent but the highs at the end were either shit or pleasant.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:23 am

Princess Demi wrote:I really liked your vocal tone on the Serj cover; it sounded like you were very at home in the lower passages. The screaming at the end was abysmal though, and kinda left me off on a sour note.  Honestly, you should do some covers of the lighter Slipknot songs like Snuff and Dead Memories. They feature easier highs to get your voice used to the upper range stuff, and the low stuff is very comfortable
The Lucinda cover was spotty, at best. Again your lows were decent but the highs at the end were either shit or pleasant.

Thanks. And I was, indeed. That's a comfortable register for me. As for the screaming... well, it wasn't planned at all, and I really don't know how to do it without damaging my voice, so it's not like I did it because I think I know how to scream or anything like that. It was a spur of the moment thing. However, I do enjoy how anguished it sounds, and I do believe it conveys the emotional message I was trying to get through with it. As for lighter Slipknot songs, that does sound pretty good to me! I haven't tried it yet, but I agree that it might fit my voice well. I wish I could do Vermillion Pt. 2, but I can't sing and play at the same time on that one.
As for Lucinda, it was another totally improvised first take - like the Serj Tankian one - which leads to it being "spotty". That happens when you just go with the flow and sing what you feel like at one particular moment. I wouldn't go so far as to classify any highs there as "shit" though - just unpolished. I do believe my "problem" as a singer is being too emotional and improvising a lot (too much, perhaps).
Listen to the Lana del Rey one if you will. No improvising there. Tried to stick to the melody at all times.
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:41 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:I really liked your vocal tone on the Serj cover; it sounded like you were very at home in the lower passages. The screaming at the end was abysmal though, and kinda left me off on a sour note.  Honestly, you should do some covers of the lighter Slipknot songs like Snuff and Dead Memories. They feature easier highs to get your voice used to the upper range stuff, and the low stuff is very comfortable

Thanks. And I was, indeed. That's a comfortable register for me. As for the screaming... well, it wasn't planned at all, and I really don't know how to do it without damaging my voice, so it's not like I did it because I think I know how to scream or anything like that. It was a spur of the moment thing. However, I do enjoy how anguished it sounds, and I do believe it conveys the emotional message I was trying to get through with it. As for lighter Slipknot songs, that does sound pretty good to me! I haven't tried it yet, but I agree that it might fit my voice well. I wish I could do Vermillion Pt. 2, but I can't sing and play at the same time on that one.
As for Lucinda, it was another totally improvised first take - like the Serj Tankian one - which leads to it being "spotty". That happens when you just go with the flow and sing what you feel like at one particular moment. I wouldn't go so far as to classify any highs there as "shit" though - just unpolished. I do believe my "problem" as a singer is being too emotional and improvising a lot (too much, perhaps).
Listen to the Lana del Rey one if you will. No improvising there. Tried to stick to the melody at all times.
That Lana del Rey cover Banghead Aside from the irritating head voice, and shakiness towards the end, it was decent. However Banghead Banghead Banghead Durrr Durrr Durrr Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Naughty don't do the soft "singer-songwriter voice" please. There are already too many of those lurking within Vine, Instagram, YT, or any other trendy site where you can post videos.
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:59 am

Princess Demi wrote:
That Lana del Rey cover Banghead  Aside from the irritating head voice, and shakiness towards the end, it was decent. However Banghead Banghead Banghead Durrr Durrr Durrr Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Naughty  don't do the soft "singer-songwriter voice" please. There are already too many of those lurking within Vine, Instagram, YT, or any other trendy site where you can post videos.  

You can never please everyone. Wink
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:08 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:
That Lana del Rey cover Banghead  Aside from the irritating head voice, and shakiness towards the end, it was decent. However Banghead Banghead Banghead Durrr Durrr Durrr Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Naughty  don't do the soft "singer-songwriter voice" please. There are already too many of those lurking within Vine, Instagram, YT, or any other trendy site where you can post videos.  

You can never please everyone. Wink
Well hey, do some Slipknot and we'll see what happens
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:01 am

Princess Demi wrote:

Alright, you asked for it, so here it is: me butchering everyone's favorite Slipknot ballad. https://soundcloud.com/aliceunchained91/slipknot-snuff
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorcerer on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:26 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

Alright, you asked for it, so here it is: me butchering everyone's favorite Slipknot ballad. https://soundcloud.com/aliceunchained91/slipknot-snuff

Actually pretty good. Maybe take it down 1 semitone. Audacity lets you do that for free.

Sorcerer
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:07 am

Sorcerer wrote:
aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

Actually pretty good. Maybe take it down 1 semitone. Audacity lets you do that for free.

Thank you! Smile I shall try that out.
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:17 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

This was actually fairly good. Work on your vowels and phrasing though
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:22 am

Princess Demi wrote:
aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

I wouldn't expect anything nicer coming from you, so I am satisfied, hah.  Wink As for the vowels and phrasing, the truth is I didn't even know the song before you suggested that I sing it. And let's be honest: it's not the easiest one in that aspect (Dead Memories, for instance, is a lot more straightforward). I'd love to hear how you'd sing it, though!
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:29 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:
aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

I wouldn't expect anything nicer coming from you, so I am satisfied, hah.  Wink As for the vowels and phrasing, the truth is I didn't even know the song before you suggested that I sing it. And let's be honest: it's not the easiest one in that aspect (Dead Memories, for instance, is a lot more straightforward). I'd love to hear how you'd sing it, though!
I was thinking of uploading my cover of Dead Memories. I could probably cover Snuff with ease, considering I am a tenor of sorts. My notes are piss easy until G/G#, but I just don't wanna Razz
Also, if you weren't so wonky on your highs and fucking up vowels and what not, I would say it's good. However, right now it's just farily good

Last edited by Princess Demi on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:39 am

Princess Demi wrote:
I was thinking of uploading my cover of Dead Memories. I could probably cover Snuff with ease, considering I am a tenor of sorts. My notes are piss easy until G/G#, but I just don't wanna

Ahh, don't be like that! Just go for it. If you think you're doing it well enough... why not? I'd quite like to hear it. And if I were to make a suggestion, bearing in mind that you seem to like Kyo's voice, I'd love to hear you do The Pledge!
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:20 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:
I was thinking of uploading my cover of Dead Memories. I could probably cover Snuff with ease, considering I am a tenor of sorts. My notes are piss easy until G/G#, but I just don't wanna

Ahh, don't be like that! Just go for it. If you think you're doing it well enough... why not? I'd quite like to hear it. And if I were to make a suggestion, bearing in mind that you seem to like Kyo's voice, I'd love to hear you do The Pledge!
If you do a cover of Dead Memories, I might send mine Yeah! Also, I'm way too lazy to cover a song as demanding as The Pledge. Maybe an easier Diru song though like Obscure
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nieco on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 am

seems like everybody here has at least 1 cover of slipknot (or at least corey)
Nieco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:48 am

Princess Demi wrote:
aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

If you do a cover of Dead Memories, I might send mine Yeah!  Also, I'm way too lazy to cover a song as demanding as The Pledge. Maybe an easier Diru song though like Obscure

Sure, I'll try Dead Memories! It seems easier than Snuff, at least at first glance... And yeah, haha, when I went and heard it after I said that... man, is it hard! Even Kyo sounds like he's struggling with it at some points. I really like Red... [em] as well, for instance.
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:49 am

Nieco wrote:seems like everybody here has at least 1 cover of slipknot (or at least corey)

Well, Corey does have an interesting voice! And seeing as he sings in so many different registers, there always ought to be one you'll be rather comfortable singing in, I guess.
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:54 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:
aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

If you do a cover of Dead Memories, I might send mine Yeah!  Also, I'm way too lazy to cover a song as demanding as The Pledge. Maybe an easier Diru song though like Obscure

Sure, I'll try Dead Memories! It seems easier than Snuff, at least at first glance... And yeah, haha, when I went and heard it after I said that... man, is it hard! Even Kyo sounds like he's struggling with it at some points. I really like Red... [em] as well, for instance.
Yeah, those F#s are intense; easily one of his best vocal performances, ever. I'll think about Red [em], because I do know it tops sort of high, but not out of my tolerable sounding range. I'm actually thinking of doing a cover of Ain't Afraid to Die, but until then I may PM you my shitty cover of Obscure, from the worst of my vocal inflammation days. It's the best singing I did during those months, and afterwards I lost my voice for a good week Razz
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:58 am

Princess Demi wrote:
Yeah, those F#s are intense; easily one of his best vocal performances, ever. I'll think about Red [em], because I do know it tops sort of high, but not out of my tolerable sounding range. I'm actually thinking of doing a cover of Ain't Afraid to Die, but until then I may PM you my shitty cover of Obscure, from the worst of my vocal inflammation days. It's the best singing I did during those months, and afterwards I lost my voice for a good week Razz  

I agree. Out of all I've heard by them, it always stood out for me vocally. You do that! Very Happy You've heard quite a bit of my voice now, so I'm curious as to how yours sounds. And hah, I know the feeling! Really does suck, lol. I mean, you get a nice recording and all but then comes the pain and not being able to sing...
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Princesszolli Demi on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:04 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:

I agree. Out of all I've heard by them, it always stood out for me vocally. You do that! Very Happy You've heard quite a bit of my voice now, so I'm curious as to how yours sounds. And hah, I know the feeling! Really does suck, lol. I mean, you get a nice recording and all but then comes the pain and not being able to sing...
Yeah, it's dreadful. And you don't want to hear my voice in those types of places. It's either too heady, or too strained and nasally. D5's are about all my voice can do connected, with a tolerable tone, because even then my tone irritates the shit out of me lol. Again, let me find that abysmal Obscure cover just to tide you over Yeah!  Also, I think Dead Memories tops at G#4 during the verses, and the chorus tops at F#4; don't quote me on this, because I can't remember exactly. Not too bad (thank god Kyo isn't singing it)
Princesszolli Demi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aliceunchained on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:09 am

Princess Demi wrote:
Yeah, it's dreadful. And you don't want to hear my voice in those types of places. It's either too heady, or too strained and nasally. D5's are about all my voice can do connected, with a tolerable tone, because even then my tone irritates the shit out of me lol. Again, let me find that abysmal Obscure cover just to tide you over Yeah!  Also, I think Dead Memories tops at G#4 during the verses, and the chorus tops at F#4. Not too bad (thank god Kyo isn't singing it)

I haven't yet been able to sing in the 5th octave without falsetto, unfortunately... Some singing lessons could really do the trick for me, but I can't afford that, at the time. And haha, it's nice to see that you are as hard on yourself as you are on others. At least you're not the conceited kind that criticizes everyone but then doesn't even acknowledge his or her own limitations. Umm, that's about as far as I can go without much strain (F4s and G4s). I could do the A4 in Snuff without struggling, but then again it's just one very quick note...
aliceunchained

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorcerer on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:29 am

aliceunchained wrote:
Princess Demi wrote:
Yeah, it's dreadful. And you don't want to hear my voice in those types of places. It's either too heady, or too strained and nasally. D5's are about all my voice can do connected, with a tolerable tone, because even then my tone irritates the shit out of me lol. Again, let me find that abysmal Obscure cover just to tide you over Yeah!  Also, I think Dead Memories tops at G#4 during the verses, and the chorus tops at F#4. Not too bad (thank god Kyo isn't singing it)

I haven't yet been able to sing in the 5th octave without falsetto, unfortunately... Some singing lessons could really do the trick for me, but I can't afford that, at the time. And haha, it's nice to see that you are as hard on yourself as you are on others. At least you're not the conceited kind that criticizes everyone but then doesn't even acknowledge his or her own limitations. Umm, that's about as far as I can go without much strain (F4s and G4s). I could do the A4 in Snuff without struggling, but then again it's just one very quick note...

You did really well on the F4's and G4's. The A4's were kind of pushing it for your voice. That's why I said you should take it down a semitone.

Sorcerer
Banned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top